Start by marking “Christmas Oranges” as Want to Read:
Christmas Oranges

Christmas Oranges

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  2,001 ratings  ·  63 reviews
The illustrated edition of the timeless, classic story
Published October 28th 2002 by Covenant Communications (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Oranges, please sign up.

Linda B That was the premise Sally Meyer used in the movie but the only clue one has for that is if one reads the credits at the end of the movie. The credits…moreThat was the premise Sally Meyer used in the movie but the only clue one has for that is if one reads the credits at the end of the movie. The credits list Grace Crampton and Rose's mom as the same actress. I personally liked that addition.(less)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
64th out of 699 books — 957 voters
The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.Jesus the Christ by James E. TalmageHoly Bible by AnonymousStanding for Something by Gordon B. HinckleyThe Miracle of Forgiveness by Spencer W. Kimball
Best LDS non-fiction
104th out of 190 books — 231 voters

More lists with this book...

Donna
Christmas Oranges is a very short story, but a moving one. Little Rose only knew the orphanage as her only home. The caretaker, Mrs. Hartley, was very loving to all the children. But after an epidemic of the flu, Mrs. Hartley passed on. Now Rose was off to another orphanage that was not as welcoming as the one she had previously been in. She makes a few friends, but silence and daily chores were what welcomed her to this new home.

At Christmas, a generous neighbor donates a box of oranges for the
Cheryal
This book made me feel so much love for spirit of Christmas. It takes place in an orphanage. It reminds me that kindness and thoughtfulness are the best gifts to give at Christmas. It also taught me why there was always an orange at the bottom of my stocking.
Deborah
This beautiful story has left me unable to stop crying . My own precious mama always placed an orange in our stockings and it was treasured, just as the orphans treasured theirs. Just thinking about it , I can hear my mother's wild and infectious laughter! How lucky I was to have her, my grandmother and my grandfather! As I sit and ponder about this very touching story, I think about my own biological father. He, like Rose, was raised in an orphanage. An orphanage, unfortunately, that I know ver ...more
JaNeal
I love this book! The author is a gifted writer and a dear friend of mine, so some would say that I am biased. This book, however, speaks for itself... it has had one of the longest runs (and I'm sure the longest among Christmas books) with the publisher. It has been re-packaged numerous times and its sales are astounding!

Enough of a commercial endorsement...

The story behind this story is as equally wonderful as the book. I honestly wish everyone could hear it, but I imagine that it is a story t
Karen
I bought this book to add to our Christmas reading collection solely for the fact that the title was about Christmas oranges. There is an orange in each of our stockings each year and I hoped this story would give my boys something to think about when they pull out their oranges each Christmas. While it was a longer story, the illustrated version was a blessing as it gave my son something to look at while he was listening. I wasn't sure when we started reading how it was going to turn out, but I ...more
Nancy
The narrator of my tape, has a very nice sweet voice. She tells the story of a baby left outside at an orpahage. The baby was named Rose, and she was much loved by Mrs. Hartley. There were 30 children, who all loved each other as brother's and sister's. Mrs. Hartley died during an epidemic of flu, along with some of the children. The town could not support the children, and sent them to other orphanages. Rose was sent to one that was run by a mean hearted man. A man would give the orphange a box ...more
Emily
This really does help bring out the Christmas spirit - it's the little things that matter most. The biggest gift the kids received that day was probably the feeling they got for helping someone else and seeing their joy. The illustrations are also beautiful.
Mel Mather
What can I say other than this is a genuine Christmas classic and you should read it for yourselves? This is a top-notch read for Christians and non-Christians alike. The art is impeccable, too, and being an artist in the works myself, I don't say that lightly.
Joan
I liked everything about this book. The illustrations were beautiful, the story was a heartbreaking, yet sweet one. My heart and mind are all the better for reading it. I love a book that is written for a child but transcends easily into an adult pyche.
Hannah
A very sweet story that should always be shared at Christmas time!
Sara Fitzgerald
Christmas Oranges Retold by Linda Bethers

Rose was a little girl who was moved into a new orphanage. One filled with cruelty and anger. She quickly learns the rules. Everything seems bleak except for a promise of a Christmas Orange on Christmas morning. One little girl dream of receiving a Christmas orange changed every child’s heart that Christmas morning.

Linda Bethers did an amazing job retelling the beloved story of the Christmas Oranges.

Review by Sara Fitzgerald
Author of Saving Savanna
saraf
Lisa
Cliff Davis
A sweet, gentle book that whispers of the blessings of gratitude -- should be read by every parent to every child.
Kayla
This story is a fabulouse christmas story that was writen for kids, but even i, a teen loves it. Its about a 8 year old orphan girl, who has a gets moved to this horrible orphanage. Well she makes some friends. And when christmas comes, things go more diffrently than she expected. But i love it. Pluse it has fabulous gourgouse beautiful paintings.
Lisa Dodds
This is one of the christmas stories we read with our children every year. 10 days leading up to christmas we read one Christmas story before bed and this is the first one to be read. My kids also request that we eat oranges while we read it. Very lovely christmas story.
Tricia
A touching story that really reminds us of the meaning of Christmas. Makes a great object lesson for family or church. I love the softness of the illustrations. I cry every time I read this, and usually when I talk about it.
Teri
I have a limit to how many "orphan" stories I can handle at Christmastime--but this one is so beautifully illustrated and the ending so sweet that it almost got 5 stars. This one will be an annual read for us.
Faithann
I thought this story did a good job of trying to teach children that Chirstmas isn't about what you get, but what you give to others. I enjoyed the story, and thought the artwork by Ben Sowards was wonderful.
Teri
Savannah
Kathy Blose
Jul 11, 2008 Kathy Blose rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is powerful and is based on a true story. The art and the storytelling are both awesome. I love this book and it is part of Bethany's library.

Kathy B in Las Vegas
Hailey
I love this book. Parents read it to your children. I am a teenager and still love this book. Great book. It makes you think what Christmas is like for the less fortunate.
Kimberly
4 1/2 stars. Hard not to get teary-eyed when reading this one. It's a good reminder during the holiday season of how grateful we ought to be for what we already have.
Heidi
Dec 21, 2011 Heidi added it
Shelves: picture-books
I am not sure how to rate this. Someone took one of my beloved Christmas stories and commercialized on it. The story I knew was also about a little boy.
Heather
The oranges in our stocking on Christmas morning have taken on a new significance because of this book. I look forward to sharing this story with my daughter.
Misty Lynne
A beautiful Christmas story and a great read a-loud to kids at Christmas time. Helps you get into the spirit of giving and having a grateful heart.
Erika B. (Snogging on Sunday Books)
Just an adorable heartwarming tale of Christmas and friendship! Makes me like the orange in the toe of my Christmas stocking that much more! :-)
Corinne
My mom has read this book every Christmas season and I absolutely love it! The illustrations are gorgeous and the message is beautiful.
Jennybug
Nicole read this book to me. I love the art work and the story is beautiful. I can not read this book with out shedding a tear or two.
Rayni
I loved this book. My DH & I gave it to his mom w/a box of oranges. I don't think she liked the book, but she enjoyed her box of oranges.
  • A Christmas Dress for Ellen
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • Forgotten Carols: A Christmas Story & Songbook (Book Only)
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect