Start by marking “Amityville Horrible (Otherworld Stories, #10.8)” as Want to Read:
Amityville Horrible (Otherworld Stories, #10.8)

Amityville Horrible (Otherworld Stories #10.8)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,013 ratings  ·  99 reviews
Jaime Vegas—spiritualist, entertainer and, unbeknownst to her audience, real-life necromancer—swore she’d never do another reality ghost show after the last fiasco. But when she’s railroaded into a charity gig, she finds herself back on the set, this time with a cast of photogenic college kids, an up-and-coming Russian spiritualist, and a tale of missing girls and murder i ...more
Published December 10th 2012 by Subterranean Press (first published November 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Amityville Horrible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amityville Horrible

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverBoundless by Cynthia Hand
2013 Releases
256th out of 581 books — 1,013 voters
The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate by Ted ChiangThe Top of the Volcano by Harlan EllisonThe Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox by Barry HughartNobody's Home by Tim PowersBlack Hat Jack by Joe R. Lansdale
Humble Subterranean Press Book Bundle
14th out of 22 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

This book is from Jaime's perspective, of course, but we're going to talk about Jeremy first. The reason for this being that the scenes between Jeremy and Jaime made this novella for me. Oh Jeremy, Jeremy. Wherefore art thou...and where can I get one of my own?

Jeremy, for me, is one of the most perfect examples of a romantic interest in an Urban Fantasy/ Paranormal romance series. I still have trouble defining Kelley Armstrong's series genre. He is an Alpha Werewolf who is assertive, but not ove
This was the second story from the Otherworld series I have read and enjoyed. I need to pick up Men of the Otherworld and read a few more stories before deciding to start one of the novels.
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
I spent a large chunk of this novella thinking "this story is only a shorter version of NO HUMANS INVOLVED just with different ghosts." And, I stayed on that thought train up until the final pages when Armstrong reveals that no— in fact, this story is not at all what it seems. The plot is delightfully creepy, and incorporates a decent amount of this series’ mythology to make it feel like it could have been a full length installment.

Jaime’s always gotten a bad rep in the WOTO series, and is many
AMITYVILLE HORRIBLE (Otherworld Series) by Kelley Armstrong

About the book: “I don’t run from ghosts. ”His voice, right at my ear. “You will.”

Originally reviewed for and posted at Vampire Book Club

Rating (out of 5): 4.5 stars

I was more than a little sad when Thirteen, the final installment of Kelley Armstrong’s fantastic Women of the Otherworld series, was released this summer. With the promise at the end that it wasn’t the last we would see of these characters though, here we have Amityville Horrible a novella featuring Jamie, set sometime between Frostbitten and Waking the Witch.

When Jamie’s manager ropes her into to doing another
Oh, I do love Jamie Vegas and her gorgeous alpha werewolf lover, Jeremy. As a spiritualist and entertainer, Jamie's had to hide the true depths of her gift (burning at the stake for witchcraft is no laughing matter, after all). But she gets dragged into a reality TV show and sent to Amityville. Oh, not to *that* haunted house. The one she winds up in is far worse with ghosts that can kill. Thank goodness her hot man is there to help her out (not that the girl can't take care of herself but it's ...more
Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads

Poor Jamie.

After swearing off televised specials (b/c of the fiasco that the last one was in No Humans Involved), she gets roped into doing another one, but hopes to mitigate the potential fallout by including very specific demands in her contract.

Alas, she is thwarted . . .

SO. Apparently there are lots of WotO fans who hate Jamie. I'm not one of them. If you are, you might want to skip this one, but if you're on the fence . . . it might help you understand her a bit better. It offers
Thomas Brand
I will preface this review with the fact that I am aware that this story comes in the middle of a series and uses established characters. I am willing to admit that coming in this way may colour my opinion. However I also believe that any self contained story in a series should also stand alone.

I can't say I was impressed by this story. To be fair to the author, a large part of this is the fact that the moment she started describing the protagonist's amazing, gorgeous werewolf boyfriend I switc
I love all things Kelley Armstrong related so I knew I would like this. It has the added bonus of having Jaime and Jeremy as the leads, both are established and well loved characters.
This is actually set a few books ago (Elena is still alpha elect) so I was kind of confused before this information clicked in my head.
I really do love reading Jeremy out with his alpha-hood, I hope there'll be more Jeremy stories from Kelley.
3.5 stars.

This book is told from Jaime's POV. She is by no means my favorite narrator. Her stories always seem the same to me. Not bad, but nothing spectacular either. Good news, Jeremy is in this book.
To begin, I love Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series. I've read all of the full length novels and several of the novellas. Jaime happens to be one of my favorite characters in the series. She's clever without being book smart, knowledgable in her field, and always quick to catch on even when in an unfamiliar situation. Add to that confidence, courage, and likable personality and it's hard not to like her. That's what makes this novella so disappointing.

The set up in the beginning deserved a mu
Great novella - Kelley's stories narrated by Jaime are among my favorites. This one was no exception. The plot was solid, for the short format of a novella. I also like the way Kelley tied this in to Jaime's full-length novel, while still keeping it as its own story. It was also great for Jaime to have one-liners here and there poking fun at how she's usually the one in trouble, instead of the one getting people OUT of trouble. Very fun for fans of the series, and I think those who enjoy ghost s ...more
Amityville Horrible was a very fun read and fans of Kelley Armstrong will enjoy it. While it is a very short novella it has some mystery, it is both funny and spooky, and it offers glimpses into the Otherworld and some of our favorite characters from it. Like Kelley's other novellas this one is likely best enjoyed by fans of her books who know the back stories and relationships. New readers will simply not get as much out of this book.
My favorite part of Amityville--as with all of her books-- wa

I love Kelley Armstrong and her Women Of The Otherworld series.

Amityville Horrible is an e-novella in the Women of the Otherworld series featuring Jaime. It is set after Frostbitten (book 10), but before Waking The Witch (book 11). I would not read it unless you've read the other Women Of The Otherworld books.

Since Thirteen I've been missing the series. So I was very happy to have another story to read featuring the characters from the Women Of The Otherworld series.

Jaime is the narrator. But we
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: C

Jaime gets forced into doing another reality special, being told it’s for charity, but really it’s just an excuse to stage a haunted house and feed into viewers using Jaime’s celebrity. When she checks into her hotel prior to taping, she sees three young ghosts, all women who are “reliving” their murders in the hotel at the hands of one man. The women are all wearing clothes that indicate that they’re from different eras and Jaime shares her
Nancy O'Toole
Jamie Vegas is a necromancer who makes her living doing live shows as a spiritualist. She’s branched out to television in the past, with disastrous results. Jamie has pledged to never do reality TV again until her agent makes her an offer she can’t refuse. This leads her onto the set of a bogus haunted house. Jamie is shocked when she discovers real ghosts on the property, only they don’t act like any ghosts she’s encountered. With the help of her werewolf boyfriend, Jeremy Danvers, Jamie will n ...more
Oh Jamie. At least you didn't get kidnapped this time!

This was a nice little novella, which I hadn't even heard about until finding it on Goodreads! I read this after finishing Thirteen, the last (supposedly) in the Otherworld series, so I was quite happy to get back to the world that Ms Armstrong has built and even happier to have a story from Jamie's perspective. She was always one of my favorites in the series...

The story was pretty fun and centers around Jamie heading to a new reality show
I like Jaime and Jeremy so very much. I had hesitations about Jaime when she was first introduced but I like her more with each appearance. Unlike some readers, I've never hated Jaime. She is in many respects a normal person: she rarely uses her necromancer talent and never for money, she struggles with career choices and family issues, she deals with disapproval from her boyfriend's family, etc. She's not the most powerful supernatural out there although more than she once realized. In all, bei ...more
A novella set in the Women of the Otherworld series. Jamie Vegas is a real life necromancer who plays a spiritualist on stage for a living. After her last disastrous attempt at breaking into TV, she has decided that the normal show circuit is more to her liking until she is railroaded into another TV show. With her lover, Jeremy (alpha werewolf) by her side, she squares her shoulders and prepares for the show but even before the show starts, things start going weird and the spirits are waiting f ...more
So I brought this the other day as I needed more of a Jaime fix after reading No Humans Involved and today I finally read it. I adored this novella. It was funny and I liked Rory and Cameron as side characters. The twist at the ending was unexpected and I kind of wished for me but I really did enjoy it.
Another great novella by Armstrong. she rarely disappoints even in her shorter work. This was a solid piece and well told -- I am a Jamie fan, and I liked all the references to most of the otherworld characters. I am an especial fan of Paige so it was nice to have a mention of her. One laugh out loud moment -- "And I would have gotten away with it too ... if it weren't for you pesky kids" nice shout out there. My only complaint was the reason for the set-up: it could have used more fleshing out. ...more
Mar 02, 2014 Kay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebook
4 1/2 stars

Very cute short story. I haven't read any of the other books in this series, but this one piqued my interest enough to want to start from the beginning. The main characters were written well with the perfect amount of supernatural abilities.
As long as Kelley Armstrong keeps writing novellas and short stories, I'll keep buying them - albeit, not a hardcover, but the digital price is well worth it for a little visit back to the Otherworld universe.

In this case, we sort of revisit No Humans Involved. There isn't the sexual tension between Jaime and Jeremy, since they are a very happy couple, but it's still a fun, if fast read.

My only confusion is where exactly it fits in the Otherworld timeline. Elena is not the alpha, although her c
This novella was a fun read for an afternoon. Reminded me of Dresden a bit with the whole magic hidden in plain sight angle. I didn't love it, but the bite-sized format means I'll probably pick up another one some time.
'What if a showbiz medium was actually a medium, though didn't use it for showbiz' plot. Entertaining, this was a little intro story to try and hook you into the series. Also her boyfriend is a werewolf cause why not?
This short story has Jaime Vegas as a main charachter.
She unwillingly gets involved into another reailty ghost tv show. Luckily Jeremy is with her to make it more fun.

But the fun with Jeremy will have to wait cause there are ghosts asking for Jaime's help. There is something very strange about this case though, something Jaime's never encountered before...

Amityville Horrible was another great short story from this series.
I usually don't like short stories much because you're always left wanting
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Loren A Stevens

I wish it was longer! but that's because it was a fun read. I love reading more about these characters, even in smaller doses.
Ellen Bard
Always fun. Novella, so short, but good to read about Jamie and Jeremy's relationship and where it's at, especially as it's a little unconventional. Fun ghost story.
Andy Tischaefer
Clever enough and well plotted, didn't go anywhere I expected it to go, really. Didn't love it, but it did manage to surprise me a few times.
  • Nobody's Home: An Anubis Gates Story
  • Tortured Souls : The Legend of Primordium
  • The Top of the Volcano: The Award-Winning Stories of Harlan Ellison
  • The End of the Sentence
  • The Hunter from the Woods
  • Jacaranda (The Clockwork Century, #6)
  • Inside Job
  • Muse of Fire
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • The Mallet of Loving Correction
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3;  Otherworld Stories, #10.4; The Dresden Files, #6.5)
  • Arcanum 101

More about Kelley Armstrong...

Otherworld Stories (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories #I)
  • Tales of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories II)
  • Otherworld Nights (Otherworld Stories #III)
  • Otherworld Secrets (Otherworld Stories #IV)
  • Imaginarium 2012
  • Vanishing Act
  • Driven (Otherworld Stories, #13.6)
  • Expiration Date
  • Shards and Ashes
  • The Bitten Word
The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3) Bitten (Women of the Otherworld #1) The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1)