Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)

Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  299 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Staff Sergeant Winthrop Carter has just been drafted into the Nightstalkers—an elite group of soldiers that...

Actually, he’s not quite sure what they do.

Born from the Area 51 initiative, the Nightstalkers defy sanity and decorum and include among their ranks Moms, a Black Ops trainee too extreme for Special Forces; Doc, a scientific crackpot; Roland, the weapons enthusiast...more
Published December 11th 2012 by 47North

Mike (the Paladin)
This is an interesting idea and could have been much better than it is. I'm hoping that the series will improve. I have marked the sequels and placed them on my wish list on Audible. I'll do what I've done with other books that were a bit, "borderline". I plan to give it one more book.

The book is constructed around a special ops "team" that have to face a strange phenomenon that seems to have (in the past) been brought about by "careless scientific inquiry".

Actually that's not a new idea. There...more
Les
It appears that the whole Area 51 series has been re-released and with this book the author has decided to take the story in a completely new direction. As an introduction to what could effectively be a new series it's pretty good. However, I hope that we do link up again with the familiar ancient aliens from the previous books.

The Nightstalkers are an efficient albeit eccentric (slightly bonkers) group of soldiers and technicians who have been brought together to tackle various unexplained phen...more
Matt
A pretty good novel involving some paranormal stuff and a secret military unit. Area 51 Nightsalkers had some real good action scenes, some slow parts, and some good characters.

The only disappointment i had with this was I was hoping that it was connected to Bob Mayer's Area 51 series, but this had nothing to do with that series. It's still a great story, but i had been looking forward to reading stuff set in that universe.

Area 51 Nightstalkers overall was a great read. I enjoyed it and can't w...more
Jim
Area 51: Nightstalkers, written by Bob Mayer and published by 47North Publishing, introduces us to a group of highly trained and secretive government agents, whose regular identities we learn, are taken away and in its place, are known only by a selected one name.

The group leader, heard only in a darkened room and whose image is shrouded in a holographic darkness is Ms. Jones, a Russian whose body is forever changed by radiation damage at Chernobyl. Then there is the group commander known as "Mo...more
PJ
Won an ARC copy courtesy of the publisher via First-Reads.

This was a very pleasant surprise. Like a cool mix of EUReKA, and Stargate SG-1, with a bent towards the militaristic operations inherent in the latter, I can say that this is definitely a 'goodread'. Mr. Mayer has done an excellent job coming up with a slew of unique characters that while completely different, all share some bit of commonality. It gives the plot a diverse and unpredictable twist often enough to keep you guessing what is...more
Bufo Calvin
I knew I was going to be in a situation where I would have some extra reading time, and where I would want a "popcorn book" that would clear my mental palate.

Nightstalkers fit the bill.

You could put it in the category of military science fiction, although in this case, military is more black budget than on the battlefield.

Some of the feel of it is like the John McTiernan movie, Predator, with macho soldiers who get the job done while bantering with each other.

This book does go beyond that, thoug...more
Martin Hill
Take an elite group of soldiers, place them against a mysterious and deadly phenomenon, add a precocious, blue-haired 16-year-old girl, and laced freely with wit and humor, and you’ve got rip-roaring military sci-fi adventure called The Nightstalkers.

Best-selling author Bob Mayer combines two of the most popular fiction genres — military special operations and science fiction — in this story of an ultra covert operations team called the Nightstalkers trying to contain the spread of glowing ball...more
Diane Burton
Great introduction to the Nightstalker team. You learn enough about the characters to care what happens to them. Bits of humor bring needed relief from intense situations. Loved Scout. Hope she returns in future books.
Joe Young
Great story by a former solder who knows the ins and outs of covert operations. Beyond that, this author has a great imagination. The characters are clearly described and when you consider that they were recruited for a non-traditional application, their personal stories seem right on target. I particularly was drawn to the local teen aged girl that joined them mid-operation and managed to talk her way into their lives and operational support simply by being a particularly observant individual w...more
J. S. Turner
Nightstalkers by Bob Mayer, the tenth novel in the Area 51 series and first for quite some time, is a fast-paced, military SF blast that kept the pages turning. Though for clarification, I will admit, this genre is right up my alley and it didn't disappoint.

The Nightstalkers are a Special Black Ops unit who operate out of Area 51 to help secure the things that go wrong and go "bump in the night". Be it terrestrial or extraterrestrial. Each member has been plucked because they exhibit certain tr...more
Randy
I read the first couple of the Area 51 books under the Robert Doherty byline, but it's been a good dozen years since I read one.

NIGHTSTALKERS is the latest and it seems to signal a change in the series, The Nightstalkers are a team of specialists that deal with the Rift, an opening to an alternate universe created by a computer program. Whenever one opens, beings of pure energy, they call them fireflies, slip through and cause havoc. They can inhabit animals, plants, inanimate objects, machinery...more
Abhinav
You can find the full review over at The Founding Fields:

Shadowhawk reviews the tenth Area 51 novel by Bob Mayer.

“A nice mix of dimensional science-fantasy and contemporary military fiction.” ~The Founding Fields

Normally, I don’t read special forces fiction, as it’s not something that I enjoy so much. But Myke Cole’s two Shadow Ops urban fantasy novels, Control Point and Fortress Frontier, have made an impression on me, and I’m keen to read more. Can’t rec...more
Matthew Heil
First I confess I am not the biggest fan of "military scifi". In practice what they all turn into is just a military story told in the scifi idiom rather than real science fiction, i.e. a story based on the exploration of fictional scientific speculation.

The biggest thing I liked here was that the story is fast paced. The author never lets you rest and that is great story telling. Writing is clear and direct. I think these are the best attributes of military scifi and they are here in spades.

Wha...more
Danielle Young
Okay, now I am going to be honest here and say that I have not read the other 9 books in this series. But when I read the synopsis on this one, I knew that I had to read it. And I think that this is a good test of any series. Can you pick up any book in the series and understand what is going on, understand the story and get wrapped up in the characters? And I can say that with this series you can. Bob Mayer wrote this book so that anyone could pick it up at any book and get a feel for the overa...more
Barbara
Sep 10, 2013 Barbara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
I very nearly put this down partway through the first chapter, which would have been a mistake. As the opening scene in a movie, the first chapter would have had me on the edge of my seat. As a chapter in a novel, it left me cold. There was a lot of detail about weapons and how they were used which was meaningless jargon to me. Someone with more knowledge and interest in weaponry would have loved it.

However, once past this chapter it became much more accessible and just a whole lot of fun. It ha...more
richard g roach
Great read, action filled, tense drama.

I really enjoyed reading this book. The characters are richly detailed, the action tense and non stopped. The plot is spellbinding , this sci fit at it's best, engaging, tense, suspenseful, action filled.
James Davis
Meh. This had unrealized potential. The characters were more outlines than characters. Something was trying to get through, but didn't quite make it. Considering the plot of the story involves things trying to get through portals (not a spoiler, it's in chapter 1) I think that's rather sad.
Bruce Mohler
Excellent. Tom Clancy quality military with add'l depth of detail plus layer of Sci-fi. Likeable characters (including "Scout"!) who have taken some extra knocks because of their life of sacrifice. Lots more to uncover about Fireflies in add'l books. Book #2 is already in my Wish List @ Amazon.
Ralph
A more light hearted read then the first Area 51 series but had plenty of action. Looking forward to book two and hoping that the author will tie this series into the first series a little more.
Harry Bowen, Jr.
Love the Bob Mayer Area 51 series - this series (Nightstalkers) within the series (Area 51) is a 3-parter. The group is covert and have been around since the late 40's to counter alien encounters. The Aliens are called Fireflies and they come out of a portal and wreck havoc in their wake. They can possess both animals and inanimate objects, but not humans (that would be a religious experience I supposed :) ). Now on to book 2 . . .
Lynn
Basically silly, but kind of fun to read. I read it only because Bob Mayer had done a collaboration with Jennie Crusie that I really liked ("Agnes and the Hitman"). Otherwise, military scifi/fantasy is NOT on my reading list. Because although Bob Mayer had some fun stuff here, he also has sentences along the lines of "Joe pulled out his [insanely long weapon name] and blasted the enemy before he could deploy the [ridiculous weapon name]. Then Joe decided to rappel down the cliff by using [more r...more
Jan Kuhlmann
Was ok, but it just ended, looking forward to reading the next book.
Janall
Mar 23, 2014 Janall marked it as to-read
Found this while wandering through good reads- looks interesting
Travis Healy
Gets right into the action and is never far from it.
G.N.
Great tale well-written. This guy obviously knows his military stuff.
Mark Takacs
liked it. looking forward to the next book.
Tim Coleman
Great action

if you are a fan of the multi-verse, read this book. excellent beginning to what I hope will be a well conceived series of books. reminiscent of "Stargate". I look forward to continuing.
Silviu
The book is awesome!
- it has interesting characters, each with their own quirks.
- there are great action scenes which don't feel repetitive at all, each of them showing the reader something new
- and there is humor. Lots and lots of humor, sprinkled all over the book.
Everything else is just a bonus!
Kelly
I have read all of the Area 51 books in order. This one is set apart from the others as it takes on a new direction.
This book follows Moms and her team of Nightstalkers who are dedicated to tracking down,containing and concealing, Fireflies and Rifts.
This is well written with believable characters.
Relation to Mayer's other Area 51 books 2 6 Dec 20, 2012 04:59PM
  • The Last Hunter: Descent (Antarktos Saga, #1)
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One #2)
  • Invasion: Alaska (Invasion America, #1)
  • Legacy (Event Group Adventure, #6)
  • A Little Rebellion
  • The First Casualty (Jump Universe, #1)
  • Tiger by the Tail (Paladin of Shadows, #6)
  • The Valhalla Prophecy (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #9)
  • SEAL Team 666
  • Blue Courage (Battle for the Afterlife Saga #1-3)
  • Neighborly Complications (Stories of Serendipity, #1)
  • Ark Royal (Ark Royal, #1)
  • Starship: Flagship (Starship, #5)
  • Angels of Vengeance (The Disappearance, #3)
  • Stark's Crusade (Stark's War, #3)
  • The Testimony
19006
Bob Mayer is a West Point graduate, former Green Beret and a New York Times Bestselling Author. He has sold over five million books. He is also the Co-Creator of Cool Gus Publishing.

Bob reads whatever his wife tells him to read-- she's a voracious reader and has wide-ranging tastes as my reviews show. He reads a lot of nonfiction, mostly for research. Lately he's been reading a lot about Kennedy...more
More about Bob Mayer...
Lost Girls (The Cellar, #2) The Jefferson Allegiance (The Presidential Series, #1) Bodyguard of Lies (The Cellar, #1) Bermuda Triangle (Atlantis, #2) Area 51 (Area 51, #1)

“The FedEx truck backed into the driveway with an irritating beeping. The team was ready, combat gear on, locked, and loaded.” 0 likes
“team was on the Snake, all the equipment from” 0 likes