Start by marking “A Good Kind of Knowing” as Want to Read:
A Good Kind of Knowing

A Good Kind of Knowing

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A Good Kind of Knowing is a novel about the power of music and friendship, the relationship two-steps that go on in old Texas dancehalls, and the secret to finding just a little bit of common ground in a world full of distrust. Sera Taylor's store is the one place in Lakeville, Texas, where individuals from all walks of life share a universal love for music and a respect f...more
Kindle Edition, 1, 312 pages
Published October 30th 2012 by MST Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Good Kind of Knowing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Good Kind of Knowing

Sharon Cooley
It was a good read. Hit home. I lost a sister to colon cancer no too long ago so it was very emotionally charged to me.
Michelle
First word that comes to mind - Heartbreaking. Followed by fantastic! Kathy Harris needs to put the warning label right on the front page -- You will get sucked in and you will run a gauntlet of emotions. Sera Taylor is that woman that everyone loves (well except the crazy religious socialite, Beverly). She is genuinely interested in everyone and how they are doing, forming strong bonds with many of the patrons of her music store. When her world is torn apart by a devastating illness, the bond b...more
Samantha Janning
I received a copy of A Good Kind of Knowing by Kathy Lynn Harris in exchange for an honest review. Sera Taylor is our main focus, and is a woman who can bring people together. She lives in the small town of Lakeville, Texas and runs a widely popular music store. She’s friends with almost everyone, and the town is hit hard when Sera is diagnosed with cancer. The book weaves Sera’s story and her battle along with the town’s reaction and how they all pitch in to help save her store – and themselves...more
Donna McBroom-Theriot
If you were to read the book blurb, you would notice that the book promises to be a book of great depth, but the blurb really does not give you a clue as to how far you will be pushed (emotionally) by the characters in this book.

One woman, possessing a great kindness and ability to reach people, is a uniting force in a rural town. She runs a small music store, and thru music connects and earns the respect of everyone, from the town ruffians to country music stars. She is the epitome of the old...more
Bex 'n' Books
A Good Kind of Knowing by Kathy Lynn Harris is a truly gentle and inspiring love story. The characters really drive the plot with their array of character traits, quirks and interwoven lives. The relationships between the characters are lovely to follow as well as entertaining.

There are many humourous, witty moments in the novel that had me smiling and several tender moments that allowed me to bond with the collection of characters. This was all possible because of Kathy Lynn Harris' meticulous...more
Laura Pepper
A Good Kind of Knowing is full of warm and wonderful characters that you'll soon feel as if you you've known forever. I enjoyed the descriptions of Sera's music shop and the goings on set in the heat and humidity of the Texas summer. The author gives us a true insight into small town Texas and it's colourful people. This book deals with a sad theme, but somehow leaves you feeling uplifted and warm. 4 stars.

*Disclaimer: I was given a complimentary copy in exchange for a review. This by no means a...more
Eileen
I felt as though I knew these characters. They were so well described, and true to what you'd expect from them, that they seemed like real people. When I saw the heartbreak coming, I had to put the book down for a while. I couldn't read the tragic ending of a vibrant life. Eventually, I was compelled to honor these characters by finishing the book. Really! Fictional characters were weighing on my conscience. Well done, Ms. Harris.
Mary Helene
I picked this book up two nights ago thinking I would read a few chapters. After chapter 8 I knew that wouldn't be possible and continue to read about these wonderful characters till I finished the book early in the morning. Thank goodness I had off the next day. This book is so well written. I think all of us would love to have a friend like Sera in our life.
Mendy
I received this book from a giveaway on Goodreads. I loved it. It was wonderful to see how Sera affected the people around her without knowing it. It had me reflecting on my own life and impact. I thought it was well written and I loved the characters.
Lisa Lim
This was a sweet and tender and moving story that was very well written. I was emotionally connected with the characters. At times I was smiling, at times I was sobbing. A Good Kind of Knowing is a truly inspiring and worthwhile read.
Alison  Johnson
Loved it! A heart-touching story of a woman, a marriage, her friends and her town. Sera made a wonderfully huge difference in the lives of many people. A woman to be celebrated. Amazing characters. Amazing story.
Kay
Second novel by author Kathy Lynn Harris. This is much more serious than the first one, and it took me awhile to get used to it. Harris evokes a keen sense of place...and later of loss. A beautiful book.
Jacob
I love this author!! This is the second book I've read that I just flew threw. It's do difficult for me to find a book I truly enjoy and don't want to put down, but she accomplished it again.
Judy
The author spins a really great story...engaging , good writing and plot, interesting characters!
Ruth Hill
Let me say that whenever I read a book about the realities of cancer, I am rather intrigued. So often people want to smooth over cancer and not make it seem like a big deal, but it is. And I knew nothing about pancreatic cancer. I would say I know somewhat how horrific it is now. I connected with this story, and Sera's attitude truly inspired me. If I die of cancer, I hope I can face it with the same determination and strength.

I wasn't sure about this book when I started it, but it wasn't long b...more
Lianne Bloomfield
Lianne Bloomfield marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Beth Rea
Beth Rea marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Paulette Ransom
Paulette Ransom marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Connie McElfresh
Connie McElfresh marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Melissa Olson
Melissa Olson marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Corie O'farrell
Corie O'farrell marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Amanda Alexander
Amanda Alexander marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Maddy
Maddy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Hi there! Thanks for reading more about me via Goodreads.com.

I grew up in rural South Texas and come from people who work hard, love the land and know how to have a good time on a Saturday night.

As a writer, I'm lucky to have been surrounded by exceptional characters throughout my life, many of whom have lived their lives exactly the way they wanted. The rest of the world could take `em or leave...more
More about Kathy Lynn Harris...
Blue Straggler Higgenbloom and the Dancing Grandmas