Start by marking “A Good Kind of Knowing” as Want to Read:
A Good Kind of Knowing

A Good Kind of Knowing

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  49 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A Good Kind of Knowing is a novel about the power of music and friendship, the relationship two-steps that go on in old Texas dancehalls, and the secret to finding just a little bit of common ground in a world full of distrust. Sera Taylor's store is the one place in Lakeville, Texas, where individuals from all walks of life share a universal love for music and a respect f ...more
Kindle Edition, 1, 312 pages
Published October 30th 2012 by MST Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Good Kind of Knowing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Good Kind of Knowing

The Mating by Nicky CharlesDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëCutters vs. Jocks by Elizabeth Marx
Best Free eBooks
249th out of 586 books — 1,231 voters
My Lady Love by Bridgitte LesleyWitch in the Woods by T. A. BunkerThe Dig by Michael SiemsenA Warm Place to Call Home by Michael SiemsenWake of the Riddler by Janet E. Morris
Ebooks Under Five Dollars
164th out of 359 books — 243 voters

More lists with this book...

Sharon Cooley
Oct 27, 2013 Sharon Cooley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a good read. Hit home. I lost a sister to colon cancer no too long ago so it was very emotionally charged to me.
Michelle
Jan 21, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First word that comes to mind - Heartbreaking. Followed by fantastic! Kathy Harris needs to put the warning label right on the front page -- You will get sucked in and you will run a gauntlet of emotions. Sera Taylor is that woman that everyone loves (well except the crazy religious socialite, Beverly). She is genuinely interested in everyone and how they are doing, forming strong bonds with many of the patrons of her music store. When her world is torn apart by a devastating illness, the bond b ...more
Samantha Janning
Jan 22, 2013 Samantha Janning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of A Good Kind of Knowing by Kathy Lynn Harris in exchange for an honest review. Sera Taylor is our main focus, and is a woman who can bring people together. She lives in the small town of Lakeville, Texas and runs a widely popular music store. She’s friends with almost everyone, and the town is hit hard when Sera is diagnosed with cancer. The book weaves Sera’s story and her battle along with the town’s reaction and how they all pitch in to help save her store – and themselves ...more
Donna McBroom-Theriot
Dec 06, 2012 Donna McBroom-Theriot rated it it was amazing
If you were to read the book blurb, you would notice that the book promises to be a book of great depth, but the blurb really does not give you a clue as to how far you will be pushed (emotionally) by the characters in this book.

One woman, possessing a great kindness and ability to reach people, is a uniting force in a rural town. She runs a small music store, and thru music connects and earns the respect of everyone, from the town ruffians to country music stars. She is the epitome of the old
Bex 'n' Books
Dec 05, 2012 Bex 'n' Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: bex-s-review
A Good Kind of Knowing by Kathy Lynn Harris is a truly gentle and inspiring love story. The characters really drive the plot with their array of character traits, quirks and interwoven lives. The relationships between the characters are lovely to follow as well as entertaining.

There are many humourous, witty moments in the novel that had me smiling and several tender moments that allowed me to bond with the collection of characters. This was all possible because of Kathy Lynn Harris' meticulous
Laura Pepper
Feb 11, 2013 Laura Pepper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Good Kind of Knowing is full of warm and wonderful characters that you'll soon feel as if you you've known forever. I enjoyed the descriptions of Sera's music shop and the goings on set in the heat and humidity of the Texas summer. The author gives us a true insight into small town Texas and it's colourful people. This book deals with a sad theme, but somehow leaves you feeling uplifted and warm. 4 stars.

*Disclaimer: I was given a complimentary copy in exchange for a review. This by no means a
Eileen
Aug 23, 2013 Eileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I felt as though I knew these characters. They were so well described, and true to what you'd expect from them, that they seemed like real people. When I saw the heartbreak coming, I had to put the book down for a while. I couldn't read the tragic ending of a vibrant life. Eventually, I was compelled to honor these characters by finishing the book. Really! Fictional characters were weighing on my conscience. Well done, Ms. Harris.
Mary Helene
Jan 30, 2013 Mary Helene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up two nights ago thinking I would read a few chapters. After chapter 8 I knew that wouldn't be possible and continue to read about these wonderful characters till I finished the book early in the morning. Thank goodness I had off the next day. This book is so well written. I think all of us would love to have a friend like Sera in our life.
Mendy
Apr 22, 2013 Mendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book from a giveaway on Goodreads. I loved it. It was wonderful to see how Sera affected the people around her without knowing it. It had me reflecting on my own life and impact. I thought it was well written and I loved the characters.
Lisa Lim
Jan 06, 2013 Lisa Lim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet and tender and moving story that was very well written. I was emotionally connected with the characters. At times I was smiling, at times I was sobbing. A Good Kind of Knowing is a truly inspiring and worthwhile read.
Alison  Johnson
Apr 11, 2013 Alison Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! A heart-touching story of a woman, a marriage, her friends and her town. Sera made a wonderfully huge difference in the lives of many people. A woman to be celebrated. Amazing characters. Amazing story.
Kay
Mar 08, 2013 Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second novel by author Kathy Lynn Harris. This is much more serious than the first one, and it took me awhile to get used to it. Harris evokes a keen sense of place...and later of loss. A beautiful book.
Jacob
Nov 15, 2012 Jacob rated it it was amazing
I love this author!! This is the second book I've read that I just flew threw. It's do difficult for me to find a book I truly enjoy and don't want to put down, but she accomplished it again.
Judy
Aug 20, 2013 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author spins a really great story...engaging , good writing and plot, interesting characters!
Ruth Hill
Dec 10, 2012 Ruth Hill rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
Let me say that whenever I read a book about the realities of cancer, I am rather intrigued. So often people want to smooth over cancer and not make it seem like a big deal, but it is. And I knew nothing about pancreatic cancer. I would say I know somewhat how horrific it is now. I connected with this story, and Sera's attitude truly inspired me. If I die of cancer, I hope I can face it with the same determination and strength.

I wasn't sure about this book when I started it, but it wasn't long b
Carla Reinholt
Carla Reinholt rated it did not like it
Mar 17, 2016
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Kelly Flanagan
Kelly Flanagan marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
John Frost
John Frost is currently reading it
Nov 06, 2015
Kathryn Harlan
Kathryn Harlan rated it it was ok
Oct 24, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2015
Bar
Bar rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2015
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Julles
Julles rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Jenny
Jenny rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2015
Carol Martin
Carol Martin rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Elaine Sloan
Elaine Sloan marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
  • Patchwork of Me
  • Pro Bono The 18year defense of Caril Ann Fugate
  • Criminal Decision
  • Olivia
  • The Gift (Bandit Creek, #8)
  • One Mississippi
  • Little Sacrifices
  • The Reverse Commute
  • Mississippi Cotton
Kathy Lynn Harris was lucky enough to grow up in a ranching family in rural South Texas — surrounded by flat, dry land; mesquite trees; Larry McMurty books; and colorful, real-life characters who knew how to work hard, get their hands dirty, and drink straight whiskey on Saturday night.

She’s eaten fried rattlesnake, braised squirrel, and just about every part of a cow that’s edible, except the tes
More about Kathy Lynn Harris...