Start by marking “Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark, #5)” as Want to Read:
Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark, #5)

Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark #5)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  31,471 ratings  ·  962 reviews
Bestselling author Kresley Cole continues her seductive Immortals After Dark series with this tale of a vampire shunned even by his own kind and a beautiful phantom, bound together by a passion they cannot resist.

A RAVEN-HAIRED TEMPTRESS OF THE DARK...

Naomi Laress, a famous ballerina from a past century, became a phantom the night she was murdered. Imbued with otherworldly
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published April 29th 2008 by Pocket Books

Lover Awakened by J.R. WardBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireDark Lover by J.R. WardFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesLover Eternal by J.R. Ward
So you love a Bad Boy or Tortured Hero
45th out of 2,342 books — 3,967 voters
Dark Lover by J.R. WardLover Awakened by J.R. WardLover Eternal by J.R. WardHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostLover Revealed by J.R. Ward
The Best Adult Vampire Romance Books
59th out of 844 books — 2,927 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
5 + stars

Dark Needs at Night's Edgewas an absolutely fantastic read! I loved everything about this book.In fact, it might just be my favorite in the series thus far. I could go on and on about what I loved about this story, but I'm very anxious to start the next book in the series to find out what happens to Cade, the demon.

Suffice it to say, this book has everything I love in a paranormal AND in a romance book. It has a creative and compelling world, a fascinating cast of motley characters, an
Kat Kennedy
Dark Needs at Night's Edge is a modern, more intensely paranormal version of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

Mrs. Muir
Rex Harrison: making ghosts sexy since 1947.

It is, to date, my absolute favourite book in this series. Not that it's really had that much competition.

So far it stands against an abductor, rapist, Sebastian/Kaderine who rock, and Bowen/Marie who don't.

Conrad, a bloodmad and vicious vampire, is captured by his three brothers and trapped in an old mansion to help recover his sanity. Néomi, a 1920's
Auntee
Sep 17, 2008 Auntee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Paranormal fans; JR Ward fans
Recommended to Auntee by: Everyone!
I have to rate this another 5 star read by Kresley Cole. Even though the plot was a lot different than the other books in the series, I still found this one hard to put down. It just felt so unusual to me, but in a good way. Mad vampire assassin meets lonely, beautiful ballerina ghost and falls in love against all odds--I just wasn't expecting that! I loved how Conrad and Neomi 'connected' over their long talks while each was a prisoner inside Neomi's estate. Loved their little game of black jac ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I had to place my faith in Ms. Cole that this premise of a ghost falling in love with a vampire would work. I just couldn't see how this would go well at all. My faith was rewarded. I loved this book. It starts out so beautiful and even gothic. Neomi Laress is brutally murdered by a spurned lover in her house that she has just bought at a grand party she is throwing to celebrate her retirement from the ballet. She is a beautiful dancer in the early 20th century who has decided to leave her curre ...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Well, it looks like my high school French class finally paid off in the end! Again, I breezed through this book! Dark Needs at Night’s Edge was such a thrill to read!

To be honest, I was caught off-guard. I don’t usually enjoy ghost stories so I didn’t expect to be so transfixed by Neomi the French prima ballerina. But I was. The prologue is fantastic and once I started, I couldn’t stop!

Murdered by her ex-husband in a bitter rage, Neomi Laress was stabbed to death in her own home after the brigh
Sammy Loves Books
Jul 05, 2014 Sammy Loves Books rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance Fans
*****4.0 This Series Rocks Stars*****

Conrad Wroth

Conrad

The Vampire, Conrad Wroth, is a highly paid assassin. He kills other immortals by drinking their blood until he obtains their power and their memories. But all that killing and drinking has caused Conrad to become consumed with blood lust. And he can no longer distinguish his memories from those of his victims. He's pretty much gone mad.

haunted house

So his brothers buy an old abandoned property and imprison him in the abandoned manor. And as fate would have it
Exina
"Dreams can change."

The bloodcurdling prologue foreshadows the tone of this book: it is sinister, gloomy, with bloody scenes, and with a gothic and horrifying set.

Once, both Néomi and Conrad were humans. Néomi became a ghost, Conrad altered to a vampire. Now both of them suffer from being what they are.

In his human life, Conrad was denied any happiness; his change to a vampire infuriated him, and he became a hit man. He went insane by drinking his victims to death, because he attained not on
DarienMoya
BAD BOY, BAD BOY, WHAT YOU GONNA DO WHEN THEY COME FOR YOU!!!

This is the fourth book in the Immortals After Dark series and this series seems to be getting better. So each book tells you the story of a powerful supernatural male and his fight to win his mate and let me tell you there are fights. Easily this book was the most emotional for me so far and very unconventional with the ending and the love story between the two main characters.

Conrad Wroth is feared and he is hated, but no one could h
Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana

ReRead: I LOVE THESE BOOKS. This one was so much fun and conrad is sooooooooooooo amazing. I love a good virgin hero

5 stars- Favorite IAD book yet

Gushing Fangirl Thoughts

I'm so happy there is a substantial amount of thorough reviews on this book for I'm about to gush over this like a open wound...:P This book was great. Cole wove an amazing story in "Dark Needs a Night's Edge" I found myself aching for these characters. It seriously amazes me how Cole created such a contradiction of a book. This
Fani
Even when I didn't like the hero, I couldn't put this book down. When I started warming towards him... well, it became a winner!

Connor is a vampire, but one with those dreaded red eyes: that means he drinks from the flesh. And on top of that, he is a hired assasin. After so many years of bloodlust, he's almost mad. The memories he gathered from his victims run without control in his mind so he can't tell if what he's seeing is actually true, a hallucination brought by his fragmented mind or a m
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

I strongly suspected that this installment was going to be a miss for me because ghost romances are a personal pet peeve of mine, but I’m listening to this series in order, and it was next up on my to-do list. Kresley Cole’s writing and Robert Petkoff’s narration were by no means at fault here; I still enjoyed many of the secondary elements of this story, the most noteworthy of which being Nix’s dialogue and the author’s phone sex style approach to the earlier love scene
Jessica Hatfield
Another Great book in this awesome series.......

Naomi Laress is a beautiful French ex burlesque dancer turned ballerina murdered by her ex. Refusing to die she comes back as a ghost. She is very sensual and full of life always laughing and enjoying herself and finding happiness where ever she can She is also dedicated working hard when she wants something. Going for her dreams.
 photo conrad3_zps946fef79.jpg

photo conrad6_zps1407e0dd.jpg

Conrad Wroth Had lost his mind turned into something he hated against his will a vampire. He became a assassin and be
AJ

Book 5 in the Immortals After Dark series brings us the story of vampire, Conrad Wroth. Brother to Nikolai and Sebastian (who have already had their stories told in the series), Nikolai is crazed by bloodlust. A Lore assassin, he kills by drinking his victims to death, thereby taking in their memories. And after hundreds of years of this existence, the madness is almost out of control.

Conrad’s brothers are desperate to help him, and so they abduct him and essentially imprison him in an
Wendy
Wow! So good!

Loved this story of Conrad and Neomi. Their love story is a tale on it's own, withstanding all odds to be together. So romantic!

Loved this PNR world Kresley Cole has built, along with her memorable characters that go along with it. This one's a keeper!
Iliada

At first I was like

Soon I thought things started to get interesting.

Then I was like

By the halfway mark and through the rest of the book I wanted to do this

A vampire that suffers from bloodlust and has been turned into a killer. Cold and angry at the whole world, he hates himself and all the creatures that are like him. He cannot be sexually stimulated until he finds his bride and is blooded. And when he finally finds her, she cannot blood him because she's not technically alive.

A ghost
Eastofoz
Book 5 in the series was disappointing for me. Book 4 was so good I was expecting something along the same lines or better. I didn't feel much attraction between Néomi and Connor and when they did finally come together it was anticlimactic. It took so long for something to happen that when it did it fell flat. Something didn't click to make me believe that they really wanted each other the way the other couples in the previous books did. It was a strange kind of tension. I didn't like how she wo ...more
Zeek
On a fateful night a hundred years ago, famous ballerina Neomi Laress became a ghost at the hands of a spurned lover. Existing all these years since, invisible to all around her, imagine her surprise when a brutal immortal madman abandoned in the beloved mansion she calls home becomes the only living being to see her.

Tormented and alone Conrad Wroth has become the very thing he fought against all those years ago when he was human- a renegade vampire. But now that they've found him, his brothers
Mel
"This mountain of a man was learning that his considerable might- which he'd clearly relied on for everything- was futile with her. "

This fifth story in the Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole was a sweet read. In all senses of the word.
This time we get to see Conrad Wrath (gotta love those Estonian brothers), a blood crazed vampire, and Néomie Laress, a ghost who’s been trapped in her old house for eight decades, fall in love.

Conrad and Néomie's personalities couldn't be further apart.
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review:

Cover: What’s not to like its Nathan Kamp
Rating: NC-17
Steaminess: HOT
Overall: Turned out to be really good by the end
Characters: Well Written
Plot: A ghostly tale of love and sacrifice
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Conrad

SUMMARY (50 words or less)

Why I loved book #4, this one not so much. It was good but for me dragged a lot in the beginning. I know that was the set up, but I found it easy to put down and not come back to it until t
♥ Sarah ♥
Just when I think I have these story lines all figured out, Kresley Cole throws something completely out of left field and the story evolves into something I didn't even see coming. She's awesome.

I LOVED this story, loved Conrad, loved Néomi, and I loved Conrad and Néomi! They're so adorable together and I was truly feeling the love throughout the whole book.

What I loved most about this story, I think, is that I truly thought I had the ending all cooked up in my mind, but the ending that did ha
Kathleen
4.5 stars. I am in the mood for PNR this week, for I fully enjoyed this one, too. Thanks to Cristina for the recommendation!

That wonderful old b/w movie The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is a favorite (along with other Rex Harrison delights) so how could The Ghost and the Mad Bad Virgin Vampire ever fail to please?

Honestly. Conrad and Néomi rocked. A nutcase warlord from old Estonia and a spectral ballerina from New Orleans. Loved their relationship development. Chuckled a few times, too, at Néomi's
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
This is my second Kresley Cole book; Bowen's story (IAD #4) was my first. I really enjoyed this one!

Conrad is a vampire "haunted", and driven almost insane, by the memories of those whose blood he has drunk to death, which makes him one of "The Fallen" vampires. Neomi is a ghost trapped in the house she loves, and where she tragically and painfully died 80 years ago. When Conrad is entrapped in Neomi's house, the two meet.

The attraction between Conrad and Neomi is electrifying and filled with s
Ren
More than 5 stars

Enter :
- Vampire,a virgin hero (oh, yum!) and a tortured bad boy (oh, my!)
- Ghost, a witty heroine, la petite ballerina
- exotic setting at New Orleans
- scorching hot love scenes
- sexy and yummies cover (Nathan Kamp never look so sexy before)
- Kresley Cole

Result :
A perfect recipe that;
a. guaranteed a great read
b. start your love for virgin heroes!
c. another great installment of IAD series!
d. much love for vampires that not sparkle in the sun (hehe), but have a red eyes th
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
Conrad and Neomi

Can a dead ballerina and a vampire doomed to madness ever work out? Read and find out...
Robin (Bridge Four)
Another 3.5 Stars.

The Wroth brothers have finally found Conrad and to save him they must imprison him and wean him off drinking directly from the veins of his victims, much like a drug addict. He is mad in more ways than one but it seems that perhaps his salvation lies in the ghost of a ballerina who can only be seen by him.

Néomi didn’t necessarily seek an acknowledgment of her presence. She could float a sheet spray-painted with “Bonjour! from le spectre!” if she wanted bad attention, or a pos
Quinn
Hooray! Finally, an IAD book where the hero and heroine aren't enemies, the mating bond doesn't override free choice and exist exclusive to genuine feelings and desire; and the barrier to the HEA is not about them overcoming their mutual dislike/hatred of each other. *sigh of relief*

I must admit, I was extremely dubious of this one. The heroine being a ghost was not something I could see working at all. Thankfully, the author totally pulled it off, and this ended up being one of my favourites in
Crista
So I'm a fan of the TIAD series with A Hunger Like no Other being my favorite, No Rest for the Wicked being my least favorite, and Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night right smack in the middle. Dark Needs at Night's Edge definitely ranks right up there, if not surpassing A Hunger Like No Other as my favorite.

What I appreciated so much about this book was the ROMANCE. So often, (I'm not going to go off on my "What happened to the romance in JR Ward's Lover Enshrined"), but back to my point.....I ha
Casey
I haven't written any reviews for the books in this series yet because I felt like they were really enjoyable but fairly standard PNR but Dark Needs at Night's Edge has been my favorite of the series so far. I hope to be able to come back to this one to write a proper review, but for now I'll just say that this one stood out from the rest of the series for me. I feel like the last couple have been continuing to improve so I hope that means that this is one of those series that builds steam rathe ...more
Brenda (b)
It's not often you get a book with a virgin hero. I think I've only read one other. I loved Conrad, he sure learned fast didn't he? And Neomi was an eager teacher. All these amazing alpha heroes are getting good reasons to fight together in the Accession and Nix is lining them all up on her side. Minor detail note: The reference to Nix stalking Mike Rowe was too funny - I wonder if she'll ever get a soul mate?
Lauren
Dark Needs at Night's Edge
4 Stars

Synopsis
Turned into a vampire against his will, Conrad Wroth has spent 300 years fighting the bloodlust and memories that have rendered him virtually insane. Sequestered in a haunted house with the ghost of Neomi Laress, a dancer murdered by former fiance, Conrad discovers that there are things with living for but it may be too late to save the only woman he has ever held dear.

Review
Gets off to a slow start but heats up halfway through.

Conrad and Neomi complemen
  • Playing Easy to Get
  • Sin Undone (Demonica, #5)
  • The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld, #4)
  • Hostage to Pleasure (Psy-Changeling, #5)
  • Midnight Rising (Midnight Breed, #4)
  • Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4)
  • Gideon (Nightwalkers, #2)
Kresley Cole is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the electrifying Immortals After Dark paranormal series, the young adult Arcana Chronicles series, the erotic Gamemakers series, and five award-winning historical romances.

A master’s grad and former athlete, she has traveled over much of the world and draws from those experiences to create her memorable characters and settings.
Her IAD bo
More about Kresley Cole...

Immortals After Dark (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Warlord Wants Forever (Immortals After Dark, #1)
  • A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2)
  • No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #3)
  • Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #4)
  • Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark, #6)
  • Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark, #7)
  • Untouchable (Immortals After Dark, #8)
  • Deep Kiss Of Winter (Includes: Immortals After Dark, #8; Alien Huntress, #4.5)
  • Pleasure of a Dark Prince (Immortals After Dark, #9)
  • Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10)
A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #3) Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #4) The Warlord Wants Forever (Immortals After Dark, #1) Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark, #6)

“And exactly how old are you MacRieve ?"
"Twelve hundreds, give or take."
"Great Hekate, you're a relic. Don't you have a museum exhibit to be in somewhere ?”
217 likes