Start by marking “A Kiss For Midwinter (Brothers Sinister, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
A Kiss For Midwinter (Brothers Sinister, #1.5)

A Kiss For Midwinter (Brothers Sinister #1.5)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  5,735 Ratings  ·  656 Reviews
Miss Lydia Charingford is always cheerful, and never more so than at Christmas time. But no matter how hard she smiles, she can't forget the youthful mistake that could have ruined her reputation. Even though the worst of her indiscretion was kept secret, one other person knows the truth of those dark days: the sarcastic Doctor Jonas Grantham. She wants nothing to do with ...more
Published December 18th 2012 by Smashwords Edition (first published December 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Kiss For Midwinter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Kiss For Midwinter

Jill
Dec 17, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it

Lydia Charingford first met Dr Jonas Grantham when she was fifteen and he was a twenty-one year-old preparing to undertake medical studies at King's College. She was a patient. He was as yet untrained, the physician allowing him to observe quietly in the background, as he tended his patients. After graduating Jonas has an agreement with the physician to take over his medical practice when he retires.

Five years later returning to Leicester to take up his practice, Jonas is in need of a w
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Dr Grantham
Dr. Jonas Grantham
A Kiss for Midwinter is Miss Lydia Charingford's story, a sometimes sweet, sometimes heartbreaking novella from the Brothers Sinister series.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*4.5 stars*

Another awesome audiobook by Courtney Milan, narrated by the wildly talented Rosalyn Landor. This series is like my crack and I have no intention of quitting any time soon!

For all of those who doubt that they could like historical romance, I implore you to try this series. It is a smart, funny, interesting romance in a really well conceived historical setting.

I loved that the main character was a doctor in this one. I have a weakness for books with factual medical content, and I have
Jilly
Usually I love a character who is described as having a sarcastic, dark sense of humor, but Jonas didn't really do it for me. I just didn't see the humor. He seemed pretty serious to me. And, persnickety. I'm not a fan of persnickety men. If they are going to take the time to hang up my gown and smooth out the wrinkles while they are undressing me for sex, I'm going to re-think the whole sex idea in that time.

He seems like a barrel of laughs. :/

Jonas' main reason for wanting to get married is to
Ally
These two. Their fathers. I. Just. Can't.

oh my

Like I do not even have words to express how amazingly beautiful this story is. I once mentioned that I thought I was dead inside or that I had no soul. Why you ask (or not)? Because I read Archer's Voice and didn't cry, didn't waver, didn't bat an eye. One hitch. That was it. A little itty bitty breath of Oh My and nothing. Dead. No woman no cry.

no woman no cry

But perhaps it's not that my soul is dead. It's just confused. The tenderness in this book, the angst of cari
♡Karlyn P♡
4.5 stars. Oh, this was such a sweet, heart-tugging, holiday historical romance. In a genre thick with Dukes and Earls and wealthy business men, I loved how this hero was just a 'mere' Doctor. There were a lot of laugh out loud moments too, including his father who was a 'hoarder' living neck deep in scrap metal and other desirable items he couldn't bear to part with.

Doctor Jonas Grantham was a practical no-nonsense man, and you might even say he was a bit anal-retentive in terms of his personal
Mely
Expanded review at http://coffeeandink.dreamwidth.org/11...

I seem to be at odds with the general internet take on Milan's recent work, because I was disappointed by this romance between a doctor and an allegedly cheerful woman whom the doctor knows to have had a teen pregnancy years before. Lydia Charingford distrusts all of Jonas Grantham's declarations of affection because he's brusque and sarcastic and she believes he's just trying to get into her pants. There are some genuinely moving bits,
D.G.
Dec 13, 2012 D.G. rated it it was amazing
This novella gets 5 stars because of the very original hero and the amazing fathers of both main characters.

In romance, bad parents are a dime a dozen so I was soo glad to see two fathers that were so devoted to their children. I cried both when I learned about the Christmas gift Jonas' father gave him as well as what Jonas said to solve the conflict with his father.

Jonas was very sui generis to say the least with his jokes about gonorrhea and his penchant for calling a spade a spade. Even I was
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
Nov 08, 2012 Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* rated it it was amazing
**5/5 Captivating Stars**

As with all Courtney Milan’s books, I loved this delightful novella!

Doctor Jonas Grantham knows his faults. He is outspoken with a dreadful sense of humour and a propensity to always look on the gloomy side of life. This is, however, what makes him such a good doctor…where others might see a touch of indigestion, he would consider poisoning and heart attacks. It is time he took a wife and only one woman will do…Lydia Charingford, but there is a rather big obstacle to ove
Ingela
Written August 19, 2914

4 Stars - Delightful refreshing reading!!!
...as grandma would have said

Book #1.5

I really liked the prequel novella and the first novel in this Brother Sinister series by Courtney Milan.

#0.5 - The Governess Affair (4.5 stars)
London 1835, Serena (Barton) & Hugo Marshall (the wolf...)
#1 - The Duchess War (4.5 stars)
Leicester 1863, Minnie (Wilhelmina Pursling / Minerva Lane) & Robert Alan Graydon Blaisdell, the ninth Duke of Clermont

This is a shortie before book
Kathleen
Dec 20, 2012 Kathleen rated it really liked it
4.5 stars, because it's GOOD, and it's hard to write a shorter story well. Milan pulled it off neatly. This is the third book in The Brothers Sinister series, and just brimming with STORY. Loved it!! And it's sexy, too, with one scalding love scene -- Lydia and Jonas know what they want and neither are shy about going for it.
He let out a shaky breath and looked over at her. Her eyes were dark, dark. She reached up and pulled two pins from her hair, and her curls tumbled over her shoulders. Ever
Zumbagirl
I loved this so much and am at a total loss for what to write to convey how excellent this story was - to simply say READ IT does not suffice. Even though this was a novella, it didn't feel short - it just felt perfect. I said that about Ms. Milan's last novella The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5) by Courtney Milan that I read and probably thought, at that time, there is no way she can write a better novella and pack more into it. Well, I was wrong.

Sometimes a mistake we make in our youth can carry into adulthood and leave little or no hope for
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Nov 08, 2016 Wollstonecrafthomegirl rated it really liked it
This was just what the doctor ordered. Feel like I've been in the desert for days and finally found water.

Wonderful, wonderful, marvellous. And a good way to ease into the Christmas run up ["It gets earlier and earlier every year." she observed in her thin, Court-worn voice.]

Milan's ability to deal with big, important, awful events in a manner which does not minimise or skirt them, but also keeps the story light and warm is such, such a skill. This one has a humdinger at the centre.

**** Spoile
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Courtney Milan writes wonderfully. Her characters are three-dimensional and nuanced, more like real people than characters. I always feel like I want the romance to happen just as much as they do or in some circumstances more. My heart was with Grantham as he wooed Lydia, and I felt deeply for Lydia. Her terrible experience five years earlier would sour anyone on romance, and I could see why her barriers were erected so strongly. I liked that Milan did give them an opportunity to get to know eac ...more
Nefise
I loved it! It's so touching and sensual read for me. I loved hero and his attitude towards world and around him.
Author's the main focus was "truth" and while hero cherishes it and thinks it's a gift for humankind, heroine sees it like curse. Author told us how our point of view affects our value judgment. I like to read it with the stories of our protagonist.

I think, I can comprehend why readers love this author so much. I'll read more of her books in near future.
Mei
Jul 16, 2014 Mei rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
This series is soooo delightful!!! I'm loving it!

In this book the heroine is Lydia, Minnie's friend. As we already know from the preivious one, she' harbouring a secret, in which Minnie was involved too.

The hero, Jonas, is a doctor and he's connected with the secret too, even if he's not aware.

Lydia knows who he is and confronts him in a hard way when he approach her.

Thus begins their story: with suspicion on her part and bewilderment on his.

I loved Lydia and her courage and her fragility. She'
Beanbag Love
Dec 26, 2012 Beanbag Love rated it really liked it
A good 4.5 read. I was slightly disappointed by The Duchess War so I went into this book with a little bit of trepidation. To be honest, the main reason is because my expectations of this author are so high. She's absolutely my favorite discovery of the last year.

This story had a sweet tale, a nice, but damaged couple and a very happy ending. I came near tears several times and laughed out loud at others. I found both characters to be genuine and decent people and that made it that much easier
Keri
Nov 02, 2012 Keri rated it it was amazing
*sigh*...I don't know how these fabulous authors continue to keep fresh ideas going, but I hope they keep doing it for years to come. A lovely Christmas novella about two hurting people finding true love. I will review tomorrow. Wonderful sweet read.
Juliana Philippa
He wanted her to lift her head at this moment. He wanted her to look him in the eyes and realize that he loved her. He wanted her to love him back.
Wow. Just ... wow. Loved it!!! It's rare to be able to pull out a great story with well-drawn characters in a novella, but Ms. Milan managed to do that beautifully.

HERO: Jonas (26)
Fantastic hero - very unusual, don't think I've ever read a hero like him. There's nothing cookie cutter here - no rake/rogue, no stuffy aristocrat, none of the usual figu
Letitia
Dec 18, 2012 Letitia rated it it was amazing
Rating: A- ... Heat: Sweet

They say time heals all wounds… Time and doctors. Thankfully for Lydia Charingford, she happens to have both. And Dr. Jonas Grantham is going to help her move on even if she really doesn’t want to.

Lydia Charingford has been hurt, woefully wronged, in her not too distant past. And when I say woefully… I mean grievously and painfully wronged. But, for the last few years, she has buried her hurt and pain. Tucked it away and let it fester. All the while managing to see the

Lisa
Dr. Jonas Grantham decided that he is ready to marry and makes a mental list of all the beautiful ladies in town and Miss Lydia Charingford wavers between number ten and eleven. He remembers Lydia from his training days as a young man and knows her secret that she guards closely and has no real interest in pursuing her...until she speaks to him and then everything changes for him. Jonas finds himself trying to talk to her and falling in love with her for over a year but each time they speak toge ...more
Cee (The Mistress Case)
It started with a wager . . . or was it a confession?

"The one thing we have never been to one another is polite. But never mind, Miss Charingford, I shall fill in the bad and the good. Either I am an unspeakably rude fellow, the kind who vents his ire and spleen on perfectly innocent young ladies, or…” His gaze slid to her profile. She was still looking across the room, refusing to meet his eyes. “Or,” he said softly, “I am madly in love with you. And I have been for this last year.”

“Well,” she
Jess the Romanceaholic
I feel almost disloyal with the relatively low rating on this one, since I consider myself a huge fan of Courtney Milan's work. This novella, however, just didn't do it for me.

I loved the OCD tendencies of the hero, and the issues you don't often run across in romance -- hoarding, miscarriage, etc.

Maybe it was the overly frank conversations the hero and heroine have. Maybe it was the fairly UNromantic wooing. I'm not sure to be honest.

All I know is it didn't have the same "spark" so many of he
Mimi Smith
Dec 20, 2012 Mimi Smith rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for the February edition of InD'tale.

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it! And Jonas ;)

"A friend had once told him that he was like bitter coffee—positively habit-forming, once one acquired a taste for the beverage, but off-putting on the first few sips."
KatLynne
Milan is a master at creating complex and completely lovable characters. This is one of the best Holiday reads this year! Fabulous!

...review to come
Caz
A Kiss for Midwinter is an offshoot of Ms. Milan’s current Brothers Sinister series, a companion novella that takes place after the events of The Duchess War and which tells the story of Minnie’s best friend, Miss Lydia Charingford. We learned in the earlier novel that Lydia’s past contains a scandal which could ruin her if it became known, and in this story, we learn what actually happened.

Now twenty-one, Miss Charingford is vivacious and well-liked. She is always cheerful and the sort of perso
Penny Watson
Nov 22, 2013 Penny Watson rated it did not like it
This has my most hated "hero" in 2013. I found him completely, utterly despicable.

I haven't been able to write a review yet because every time I attempt it my blood pressure goes up.

Standing by while a sham doctor prescribes poison for a young, pregnant girl, knowing it will likely kill her and her unborn baby, because he wants to inherit the doctor's practice? Are you kidding me? And then choosing a list of wifey-candidates (which he wants so he can have lots of sex and not worry about contract
Quirky Omega
Is the author sure she hadn't kidnapped a handsome doctor of the modern times, mind-warped him and put him in a historical setting?

Despite my continuing issue with the author's penchant for making her historical romances too contemporary for my comfort, I liked this one. I'd been hoping to read Lydia's story once I had finished with The Duchess War and I wasn't disappointed.

Lydia's character is full of optimism and cute. Her unfortunate past hasn't been able to defeat her spirit and she goes abo
Dabney
Dec 18, 2012 Dabney rated it it was amazing

this review was originally published at DearAuthor.com

Dear Ms. Milan,

I hope you are having a lovely holiday season. This year, as in 2011, you enriched my December by releasing a stellar Christmas tale. A Kiss for Midwinter is not quite as brilliant as This Perfect Gift (mentioned here in my list of favorite holiday stories) but it’s still wonderful. Thank you.

The heroine of your novella, Miss Lydia Charingford, is the best friend of the heroine in your latest novel, The Duchess Wars. It
Wendy
Sep 23, 2014 Wendy rated it it was amazing
This was a sweet, clever little novella. So much packed into this heart wrenching, sensitively executed short story.

Lydia Charingford at the tender age of 15 has been diagnosed as being pregnant by a narrow minded, unsympathetic Doctor who advises her parents to have her put away as she is ruined. In the company of this physician is a young man named Jonas Grantham about to embark on his medical training and accompanying the elderly Doctor to gain experience, warned to keep his opinions to himse
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 19, 2015 06:25PM
  • The Scandalous, Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright
  • A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)
  • A Mackenzie Family Christmas: The Perfect Gift (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4.5)
  • Sweet Disorder (Lively St. Lemeston, #1)
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • The Luckiest Lady in London
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • Deck the Halls With Love (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #2.5)
  • Confessions from an Arranged Marriage (The Burgundy Club, #4)
  • Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal (The Duke's Daughters, #2; Windham, #5)
  • The Black Hawk (Spymasters, #4)
Courtney Milan lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband, a marginally-trained dog, and an attack cat. Courtney wishes she could say she has lived in numerous fabulous places. But aside from her husband, there is a distinct lack of fabulousness in her life. Instead, she is happy when standards in the Milan household hover above mediocrity. Her husband attempts not to kill people for a living ...more
More about Courtney Milan...

Brothers Sinister (4 books)
  • The Duchess War (Brothers Sinister, #1)
  • The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister, #2)
  • The Countess Conspiracy (Brothers Sinister, #3)
  • The Suffragette Scandal (Brothers Sinister, #4)

“I only said I would stop talking to you, he'd written. I never promised to stop loving you.” 14 likes
“He knew he tended toward gloom. It made him consider blood poisoning and heart attacks when someone else might see a touch of indigestion. Those carefully considered worst-case scenarios made him a good doctor, but they also made him feel like a dark little raincloud.

When Lydia Charingford was around, though, he felt like a smiling dark little raincloud.”
13 likes