Family Lessons (Orphan Train, #1)

Family Lessons (Orphan Train #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Next Stop: Home

After a catastrophe strands a train—and eight orphaned children—near Evans Grove, Nebraska, schoolteacher Holly Sanders sees hope in the chaos. These children are the new start her community needs. And Holly is stubbornly determined to give the townspeople, the children…and even gruff sheriff Mason Wright…the happy families they deserve.

How can anyone so pet...more
Published April 2nd 2013 by Love Inspired (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Family Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family Lessons

Andrea Guy
Love Inspired Historical is my favorite line and Allie Pleiter is on of my favorite authors. She really creates stories that pull you in and make you feel a deep connection for the characters, although sometimes the characters aren't the ones you'd expect to fall in love with.

In this case, it is the orphans, all of them. In fact their story along with everyone who dealt with the train robbery and murder of Mr. Arlington take precedent over the romance. The emotions between Mason and Holly seem s...more
Christina
I absolutely loved this book. It was so well written. I had such a hard time putting this book down. Every chance I got, I would pick it up and read some more anxious to find out what happens next. The connection I felt to this book took me by surprise and moved me.
I loved all of the characters. There is Holly, who feels invisible but loves the Lord with all of her heart. She believes she doesn't know what courage and strength lie within her until faced with a horrible event. She helps the orph...more
Barbara
This is a very enjoyable story about one of my favorite subjects,orphan trains. The characters are delightful: One lady in Evans Grove, Beatrice, is so opinionated and rude, even though she says she's a faithful Christian, that I had to dislike her immensely (the author's intent, I'm sure). If her background story is not in one of the future books of this series, I will be very disappointed. I wanted to know more about her and find out if she is able to change for the better or not. The children...more
Rhonda
5 STARS

I laughed and cried in this moving story. Very clean read.
Holly Sanders is almost back home to Evans Grove, Nebraska when the train is robbed. The train robbers know that she has the gold loaned from the bank for her town on board. 2,000 dollars that will help rebuild thier town after storm and floods did so much damage. During the robbery the safe got damaged and they can't get the gold out. Holly on the train are 8 orphans that are left to help find them homes. The other orphans had fou...more
Kym McNabney
I have read just about every book ALLIE PLEITER has written. If I were asked her strongest attributes, it would have be plot and witty lines.

With eight orphan children yet to be placed, Holly Sanders fears for their lives as bandits attempt to rob the train they are on, bound for Evans Grove, Nebraska.

Sheriff Mason Wright is alerted to a situation on the train by a young boy. When Mason discovers the beautiful Holly Sanders is right in the midst of a robbery, his heart drops to the pit of his g...more
April
Disclosure: This ebook was provided to me free of charge through NetGalley for the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments, and ratings are my own.

Really interesting tale that had my attention the whole time. The pace was wonderful and the characters engaging. Great dynamic in the relationship that made it very believable. Beautiful storytelling that entertained the whole time!

It had really great flow and did the job of making me think at times. I love a book that taps into my e...more
Janis Kay
Thoroughly enjoyed this story:) Like the previous book I've read by Ms. Pleiter, her attention to the setting detail -in addition to character development- enriches my reading experience. As a history nerd, I really appreciate her attention to the significance of how hard it really was for orphans to assimilate into society. I don't know how long it takes to research for historical novels like this, but it was well worth it:)

Can't wait for her next book & to read the next one of the series!
June
The orphan train was headed past their town but a robbery stopped it there and the kids are here to stay. The sheriff and the school teacher have been avoiding each other for some time, but now they are thrown together at every turn. Soon their feelings for each other can't be hidden. But as with any good story, there are twists and turns and everyone has to work at not liking each other. And there's plenty more to keep us looking forward to the next book in the series.
Nina
I loved the story line, helping orphans find homes. It has lots of action that you would expect in a good western type book, and great characters.

What I didn't like is that two orphans still didn't find homes, and some one was stealing things that were old or broken and giving them back repaired looking almost new, book doesn't say who did that or what happened to the rest of the orphans.
Carolyn
This was so cute, and I couldn't put it down once I got about halfway through.
Harlequin Historical
Miniseries: Orphan Train
Category: Inspirational Romance
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Orphan Train
Category: Inspirational Romance
Traci M
Really hard to get into the story at first.
Alana
Jul 06, 2013 Alana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
very sweet.
Donna Bailey
Donna Bailey marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Roxanne
Roxanne marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Ava
Ava marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Lana Russell
Lana Russell marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Karla
Karla added it
Jun 20, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Cassie Peters
Cassie Peters marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
  • Johanna's Bridegroom (Hannah's Daughters, #6)
  • The Bride Next Door (Texas Grooms, #2)
  • The Outlaw's Redemption (Charity House, #6)
  • The Baby Bequest (Wilderness Brides, #2)
  • The Heiress's Homecoming
  • The Runaway Bride
  • A Hope Springs Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #7)
  • The Unlikely Wife (Bowen, #2)
  • The Reluctant Earl
  • The Homesteader's Sweetheart (Wyoming Legacy #1)
  • Mail-Order Holiday Brides: Home for Christmas\Snowflakes for Dry Creek
  • The Wedding Journey (Irish Brides, # 1)
  • The Bridal Swap (Smoky Mountain Matches, #2)
An avid knitter, coffee junkie, and devoted chocoholic, Allie Pleiter writes both fiction and non-fiction. The enthusiastic but slightly untidy mother of two, Allie spends her days writing books, doing laundry, running carpools, and finding new ways to avoid housework. She grew up in Connecticut, holds a BS in Speech from Northwestern University, spent fifteen years in the field of professional fu...more
More about Allie Pleiter...
The Perfect Blend My So Called Love Life Homefront Hero Falling for the Fireman (Gordon Falls, #1) Bluegrass Blessings (Kentucky Corners #3)