Start by marking “Talk of the Town” as Want to Read:
Talk of the Town

Talk of the Town (In Shady Grove #1)

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  66 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Shady Grove-where everyone knows your secrets

Once, Neil Pettit was the only thing Maddie Montesano wanted. She tried every trick in the book to keep him, but no luck. It took some time-and a lot of holding her head up while the town gossiped-but she's made a good life for herself and her daughter.

Now, Neil's back and is trying to be the father he never was. Maddie so doesn
Published April 2nd 2013 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Talk of the Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talk of the Town

Susan
Sep 23, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
Very emotional second chance story. Neil and Maddie had been high school sweethearts. Neil had plans for his future that didn't include staying in Shady Grove. His dream was to play for the NHL. Maddie had a dream too - to make a family with Neil and be together forever. But when she got pregnant, it became obvious that their dreams were not compatible. Maddie stayed in Shady Grove and raised their daughter, and Neil went on to become a hockey superstar.

Now Neil is back for a visit and wants to
Roz ~ My Written Romance
This review and others can be found at my blog, My Written Romance. Just click here.

All too soon, I am left with somewhat of a feeling of ambivalence towards a book. Beth Andrews is an author that I like and have enjoyed previously and I am sure that this enjoyment will continue with books of hers into the future. However, Talk of the Town is not one of her better ones, in my book.

The general gist of the story is that Maddie fell pregnant at 16 to her then-boyfriend Neil, who just wanted to purs
Lynn
Number one LOVE BETH ANDREWS! Her stories are always a must read, but this story I loved the heroine and her family The loud and wonderful protective Montesano family. Maddie was a single parent with a daughter 11 Bree, Bree's father was/is a pro hockey player who has pretty much been a checkbook father.

SPOILERS

Maddie has raised her daughter alone, apparently she got pregnant on purpose at 16, and the bf/hero was 18.... I do not really blame him for his running away after birth , he after all h
Becky
Mar 31, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? This book really worked for me. Yes, Maddie's anger toward Neil for the first 60% or so of the book was frustrating, but I found it believable. (A lot of it was really geared toward herself, for reasons that become clear later on in the book. She was clearly directing it onto him to help herself deal with the guilt. Since I'm all about denial myself, it totally worked for me.) I would have had a harder time sympathizing with Neil if we'd actually seen him during the 12 years befo ...more
Fedora
Jun 09, 2014 Fedora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Andrews writes a compelling story with Talk of the Town. Neil Pettit and Maddie Montesano were high school sweethearts until she became pregnant and he got drafted by the NHL. He became the ultimate absentee father and she's done a great job making a life for her daughter and herself that doesn't include Neil because while it was a hard lesson to learn, she understands at the core that he's not staying.

Until one day he realizes that maybe he's been working so hard for all the wrong reasons.
Elena
Mar 18, 2016 Elena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while (not often enough) I find gems like this book. The story of Maddie and Neil, now adults and struggling with their past. A second chance romance with flawed characters, human characters. And children! acting like children, who knew! No victims here, only people doing the best they can and like most people too proud to accept their errors and hurt too deeply to forgive. A teen pregnancy which resulted in Neil running away from the girl he couldn't get enough of and yet made h ...more
The Window Seat
Talk of the Town turned out to be an uneven read for me. Initially after reading the first ten pages or so, I didn’t expect to like it. My first thoughts were oh no, another book where everyone has problems. However, I was pleasantly surprised initially by the heroine, Maddie, and then later the authentic relationship building between Neil Pettit and his daughter Breanne. However, late revelations about the past caused me to question Maddie’s characterization.

Maddie Montesano's life has worked o
Ashley F
This review was posted at Tsuki’s Book Blog on July 12, 2013.

This was my first Harlequin Superromance and I have to say I wasn't wowed. I tend to like my romance a bit spicier so I tend to gravitate towards the Desire, Blaze, and Presents imprints. Usually I really enjoy them. This book was okay but not anything to write home about.

Basically Neil is a hockey star who heads home for a little bit. He had a child just out of high school with Maddie but then promptly left. Now he wants to be a fathe
Leigh
Aug 29, 2013 Leigh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Maddie Montesano's life has worked
Joyfully Reviewed
In Shady Grove, Book 1

Maddie Montesano would have done anything to hold on to Neil Pettit. However, when her plan failed and Neil bailed, she was left to grow up quickly. Her plans changed, but she stepped up to the plate and persevered. Now Neil is back and he wants more than he has ever asked for before. Will Maddie be able to push her animosity aside and learn to trust this hot NHL player, or will she close the door on that second chance?

Neil Pettit had dreams and ambitions of his own. Yet, s
Hsiau Wei
This book tell the story of Neil, a popular NHL player, returning home to see his adopted parent and daughter, Breanne which he have not seen her for 6 months. Neil has dreams of his own and he was working towards them when Maddie told him she was pregnant with her child. He stayed back with her but things got worse when he admitted to her about his adultery and it was thru this, they got separated. Maddie have full custody of Breanne while Neil get visitation. However, as Breanne grow, she want ...more
Theresa
Sara
Feb 05, 2013 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-read
Darlene Torday
Jun 17, 2016 Darlene Torday rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this different kind of romance story. Maddie makes the characters true to life with her pre teen woes. Nice to read a slower paced romance between two people who figure out they can't go back, but can go forward as the people they are now.
April
Disclosure: This ebook was provided to me free of charge through NetGalley for the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments, and ratings are my own.

Really interesting tale that had my attention the whole time. The pace was wonderful and the characters engaging. Great dynamic in the relationship that made it very believable. Beautiful storytelling that entertained the whole time!

It had really great flow and did the job of making me think at times. I love a book that taps into my e
Bungluna
Feb 13, 2014 Bungluna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: category
The set-up was intriguing, but the execution was lacking. I didn't believe in this couple by the end and just felt for their poor child.
Kate Vale
I was hard put to get past the entire first half of this book because of the unrelenting, nasty, and too-often repeated anger of Maddie against her first love (call that hate) Neil. When it finally began to subside and we followed Neil as he began to develop a relationship with his daughter, the book settled down and became much more fun to read--in spite of the typical 11-year-old drama-queen behavior on the part of the kid. I see this is the first of several titles taking place in Shady Grove. ...more
Alice
Sep 07, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very strange but I think I liked it a lot.
Emma
Feb 10, 2013 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. This romance was very intence. The hero, Neil, really did a number on the heroine and has a ton to make up for and he did in the end. I loved how Beth Andrews also explored his relationship with his daughter.
All in all a very satisfying read. The ending was a bit rushed but it was happy stll. Can't hardly wait to go back to Shady Grove. All three of maddie's brother look very yummy.
Rachel
Jul 25, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really spoke to me.

Yeah the romance is kind of meh but the story was great. I really related to it. I was Bre when I was 11 years old. It was so realistic and captured the feelings of every child who has an absentee father. I particularly enjoyed her confrontation and the steps he takes to change.
Tia
Apr 05, 2013 Tia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel frustrated the crap out of me but it was good, really good in fact. At times the hero and heroine were immature and petty but at other times, they were so right and dead on. I cried like an idiot for some parts.
Helen
Jun 14, 2013 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story from start to finish the angst between Neil and Maddie was really good and with Bree as well this story will keep you turning the pages I look forward to the next one in the series
Harlequin Books
Category: Romance with More
Andrea Guy
review to follow shortly
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
chante denise
chante denise marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
209748
Romance Writers of America RITA Award Winner Beth Andrews spends her time writing contemporary romance for Harlequin Superromance, sending checks to pay for her kids’ college tuition and composing texts that end up on her children’s twitter feeds. She loves coffee, hockey and happy endings. ...more
More about Beth Andrews...

In Shady Grove (6 books)