Start by marking “Wicked Bronze Ambition (Garrett, P.I., #14)” as Want to Read:
Wicked Bronze Ambition (Garrett, P.I., #14)

Wicked Bronze Ambition (Garrett Files #14)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  499 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Garrett is a human detective in the fantastical city of TunFaire. And now he’s getting tangled up in the worst sort of laws...

In-laws.

Garrett is set to stow his wandering heart with his fiancée, Strafa Algarda. But for Garrett, even true love comes with its share of headaches—namely, the Algarda family.

Strafa’s family needs Garrett’s unique skills in the worst way. Rum
Mass Market Paperback, 485 pages
Published July 2nd 2013 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Bronze Ambition, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Derek
Let me preface by saying that I love the Garrett series. I liked him when he was a head-thumping alcoholic, and I still like him as he’s becoming less of a smartass and more of an adult. I liked his riotous, 12-book affair with Tinnie Tate, and I like that he’s moved on, left her behind and gotten engaged.

...and this book was almost a complete disappointment.

Here's why:
(view spoiler)
Caleb
Seriously, WTF!

This was a rambling mess. Cook seemed to feel the need to parade every single secondary in the series in front of us for their two minutes of fame. The plot was a long meandering string of gibberish that didn't even make any sense during the big reveal. This is a classic example of what happens when an author continues to write a story well past its natural end.

I was a fan of this series. Now I'm not sure if I will even read the next one.
Joel Neff
The Garrett, P.I. series has always been a fun one, and this latest book is no exception to that standing. At the same time, the action is a little off from previous volumes and the novel ends with an emotional sucker-punch that I'm not used to from Glen Cook.

On the plus side: this is a Garrett novel. It's funny, fast-paced, full of interesting characters and odd quirks and the vibrant, so-weird-I-want-to-go-there city of Tunfaire. I mean, if you liked the previous Garrett books, you're going to
Melissa Proffitt
This is going to be one of my favorite Garrett novels once I read it for the second time. It was so stressful the first time that I kept having to put it down to catch my breath. Good interaction between our old favorite characters, an interesting story and more of Garrett bulling through all problems to a solution. So why was it stressful?

(view spoiler)
Gregory
Not the best in the series. Story went all over the place, and when it finished I was left with a feeling that I had wasted my time.
Kirsten
Rena McGee
In Wicked Bronze Ambition, Garret’s matrimonial plans are derailed by his in-laws. They need his help to uncover the “Operators” of a secret tournament that pits the children of the sorcerer families of TunFaire against each other in mortal combat. The prize is the accumulated power of the kids who were killed during the game, but no one wants to play. (Unfortunately, there is no way to opt out of the game once the Operators decide you’re going to be a contestant.) Garret’s job is to keep the ga ...more
Paul Harvey
I like the characters and the humorous tone of the series, even when interlaced with the seriousness of the mysteries. Yet this feels like the weakest book in the series to date. I'm not sure if that's the lead character maturing, or the writer stretching the stories out. With luck, the next book will help establish if this is a book that reestablished a direction or merely a story that needs to end.
Xenophon Hendrix
I was glad to see another Garrett novel, but this one just wanders around a lot without much happening.
Matt Enlow
Glen Cook knows how to pull at the heart strings with this book. It had me sobbing by the end.
Mark
I think Garrett and Strafa will be ok, but I'm worried about the Dead Man.
Joshua Simon
Pretty big disappointment for me. I love Cook and the Garrett series. However, this is one of my least favorite. It was ok in spots, and the overall premise was good. However, the extremely weird (dogs?!?!) and forced ending brought down a book I was already on the fence about.

Part of why I think this was a let down is that the past couple of books showed some great character development and this one was a big step back. Lots of boneheaded decisions, even for Garrett. Plus, it's one thing for th
Kris
This is the latest installment in Glen Cooks long running series Garrett P.I. Unlike the last book I read that was from a series I had read this was a pleasure to read and is a fine addition to the series. In this series we find out that Garrett is finally going to settle down and tie the knot with his true love, who he met in the last book of the series. This is the jumping off point for the usually Garrett story of intrigue, double dealings, and all kinds of derring do by the intrepid hero. Wh ...more
Henry Lazarus
Glen Cook’s tales of a PI in a magical world continues with a tale of Wicked Bronze Ambition.(paper from Roc). Garrett who is the Archie to a literally dead Nero Wolf equivalent is, impossible to believe, engaged to a sorceress to be married. Then Straffa, his fiancee is shot out of the sky and someone is organizing an illegal Tournament of Swords using conscripted sorcerers to play. The winner apparently gets all the powers of the dead losers and becomes a demigod. Garrett and friends have to s ...more
Jay Victory
I've enjoyed this series tremendously. Entertaining reads and great humor. This book was a bit more complex than previous ones in the series...maybe to the detriment of full character development. Garrett is older and wiser and you get the feeling this may be his last run. Maybe (hopefully) Cook will do a spinoff with one of the great characters in his story (Singe would be awesome). Cook is a great author and this is a good read for those that like him and the genre.
Garry Geer
Yes, I do like fantasy/supernatural based mysteries. Don't judge.

I've followed Garett from the beginning, and like any character, he ebbs and flows. I appreciate the fact that Mr. Cook is trying to mature the character realistically. I don't know if I necessary enjoy the maturing process, but its still good, still well-written, and still strives to reflect the reckless abandon of every day existence.
Aaron
Not as coherent as the early Garrett books

The last couple of Garrett books have eschewed clarity in favor of style. I can't pretend to prefer it that way. Earlier entries gave us asides of world building as a brief soliloquy here or there. This one treats everything that isn't immediate dialog as Garrett being distracted, and the result is often distracting and disjointed for the reader.
Brett Bydairk
The latest, possibly the last, of the Garrett books. In this one, Garrett is older, no wiser, and on the brink of marriage, when something happens to disrupt those plans, and once again he must hit the mean streets to find Answers. He is forcibly reminded several times that he no longer works alone, but has friends and others who help and rely on him. He is dealing directly with those on the Hill, the residential area of the town's magicians, wizards and sorcerers. Plots within plots, plots cont ...more
Robert Brown
Brings together a lot of storylines to - somewhat - of a conclusion. A good story wrapped around the lives of our protagonists. Certainly, there's room for more stories down the road of time: just don't be surprised if they go untold. Not the best Garrett book, but up among the better ones.
Thomas Harlan
I've been reading the Garrett PI books from numero uno, long years ago. They are good, but they are suffering from long-term-series-issues now... for one thing Garrett seems to get less and less sharp (mentally) as the books progress. By this book he's relying on his huge network of allies to solve things, and that makes the stories very, very crowded with characters. It's not working so well anymore. Garrett needs to lose everything - every single super-powered pal - and have to claw back from ...more
Pants
This whole series was ridiculous fun. This author, however, appears to have some troubling proclivities that are a tad less subtle in this series than in his others. However these were still very entertaining reads.
William P.
I can never fully commit to Garrett novels. They're weird in some hard to define way. I like them for lots of good reasons: interesting characters, quirky plots, and the typically Cook style of taking the piss out of tropes. But there's always something. This one was no different, feeling very jerky and unfocused. I feel like that's the point, so it sort of works, but it didn't make reading it any easier. The book was left on a nice little cliffhanger and I might have to hang Mr. Cook off a clif ...more
Jonet
This has been the best Garrett novel yet.

I want to keep this review spoiler-free, so I'll just say that this book has a more powerful emotional impact than the previous ones.

If you prefer the original Garrett formula and didn't care for the last novel, you probably won't like this one, but if you enjoy seeing the characters change and grow instead of being stuck in the same-old, same-old like a worn-out sitcom, then this is a must-read.

Hats off to Glen Cook for making me doubt what would happen
Lots of things left dangling off the edge of the cliff in this one.
Grenedine
Godo Stoyke
Still readable, but not up to the usual Garrett standards.
Jjlupa
Well, it's book 14, so we know what we are in for.

In series, it's not the best, but it's pretty fun. Old patterns are followed, and relationships moved along.

Having finished it, I'm still unsure on how some of this plot could have happened in-timeline, but since we are talking about detective stories that involve wizards, I'll just give it a pass, and say that if you have enjoyed the series to date, you should end up happy with more.
Dan
Jul 22, 2014 Dan rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: action
This series has run out of steam.
Melissa
We'll for one thing Cook found his pace again with the Garrett series which is awesome because the book before this one was seriously lacking, at least in the beginning, what makes a garrett book so great. I appreciated the story in this one a lot, some great new character with some pop up reminders of our old favorites. I like the place Garrett is in his life and of course his new main lady is AH-mazing.
Troy Lefman
Garrett is back in one of the best cases he's ever had. Not the best for him per se, just well written and an all around great read.
Glen brings back most of the supporting cast, though not enough of Saucerhead. Garrett has to deal with his new life in the upper crust and a mysterious Tournament of Swords. This one will keep you guessing to the end.

Many surprises, twists and turns, general mayhem.
Garett to inherit Dead Man's powers 1 10 Aug 09, 2013 08:29PM
I miss Tinnie 5 16 Jul 08, 2013 09:35PM
  • Stalking The Unicorn
  • Wake of the Bloody Angel (Eddie LaCrosse, #4)
  • Lord Darcy Investigates (Lord Darcy, #3)
  • Robert Asprin's Myth-Quoted
  • Magic City: Recent Spells
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10)
  • Hawk
  • Protector (Foreigner, #14)
  • Princeps (Imager Portfolio, #5)
  • Hour of the Octopus (D'Shai, #2)
  • Myth-Fortunes (Myth Adventures, #19)
  • The Convict's Sword (Sugawara Akitada, #6)
  • Up From Jericho Tel
  • Paint it Black: 4 (The Black Knight Chronicles)
  • Fanuilh (Fanuilh, #1)
  • Dragon Precinct
  • Salvage and Demolition
Glen Cook was born in New York City, lived in southern Indiana as a small child, then grew up in Northern California. After high school he served in the U.S. Navy and attended the University of Missouri. He worked for General Motors for 33 years, retiring some years ago. He started writing short stories in 7th grade, had several published in a high school literary magazine. He began writing with m ...more
More about Glen Cook...

Garrett Files (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Sweet Silver Blues (Garrett P.I., #1)
  • Bitter Gold Hearts (Garrett P.I., #2)
  • Cold Copper Tears (Garrett P.I., #3)
  • Old Tin Sorrows (Garrett Files, #4)
  • Dread Brass Shadows (Garrett Files, #5)
  • Red Iron Nights (Garrett Files, #6)
  • Deadly Quicksilver Lies (Garrett Files, #7)
  • Petty Pewter Gods (Garrett P.I., #8)
  • Faded Steel Heat (Garrett P.I., #9)
  • Angry Lead Skies (Garrett P.I., #10)
The Black Company (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #1) Chronicles of the Black Company (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #1-3) The White Rose (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #3) Shadows Linger (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #2) The Books of the South: Tales of the Black Company (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #4-6)