Start by marking “Beyond Uhura: Star Trek and Other Memories” as Want to Read:
Beyond Uhura: Star Trek and Other Memories

Beyond Uhura: Star Trek and Other Memories

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  356 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The first African-American woman to have a major, continuing television role tells the inside story of Star Trek and its creator--her onetime lover and lifelong friend--and her struggle to overcome racism and bias against women. 100,000 first printing.
Published 1994 by Putnam Pub Group (T)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Uhura, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Uhura

Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
The lovely Nichelle Nichols is one of my idols, since I was a kid.

I grew up on watching reruns of Star Trek and then of course going to see all the Star Trek movies. I wanted to be her. How cool was she... VERY! I absolutely loved this book and am now purchasing it to have my own copy. :)
Wendy
This is an excellent example of fame going to a person's head, making them feel as though they are more intelligent than they actually are. Ms. Nichols gives off the unfortunate (and hopefully unintentional) impression that she thinks she is always right and always in the right, except perhaps where her relationship with her mother and her romantic relationships are concerned. She doesn't recount experiences where she was wrong, or even where she was embarrassed, unless she was embarrassed becau ...more
Sue
While I agree with Wendy's review somewhat - mostly that this book is self-indulgent, disjointed, and maybe even egotistical - I feel those issues arise in many autobiographies, especially from people in the entertainment industry. You have to know what you're getting into. I decided to pick this up after seeing Ms. Nichols relate some of her stories at Dragon*Con 2012, and there can be no argument that she and Uhura have been great inspirations to people of many races, genders, and generations. ...more
Bev
In Beyond Uhura, Nichelle Nichols tells her story from the beginnings growing up in a socially progressive family through her teen years as a young singer/dancer who had already been praised by Josephine Baker and worked with Duke Ellington. She got her first job at the age of fourteen working in a cast at the Sherman House Hotel which portrayed many of the tremendous acts which had been staged at the Sherman House's College Inn supper club in the twenties: Fred and Adele Astaire, Duke Ellington ...more
Lindsay Stares
This was an awesome memoir.

The Trek stories were fun of course, but it was really the span of Nichols' career and interests that intrigued me most. She was often in the right place at the right time to meet important directors and performers, and it's always enjoyable to get new perspectives on important movements in theater and dance.

[Image] I feel a little silly saying it, but it is more affecting to have some stories told by someone you feel like you know – even if you only 'know' them from b
Chibineko
My review is more from the memory of reading this book years ago than from any current readings. The short & sweet of this autobiography is that Nichelle writes about her life before, during, & after Star Trek. Rather than go the same route as other ST alumi, she tries her hardest to avoid badmouthing the Shatner (even though he makes it VERY hard for her to stay neutral) which she mostly succeeds at.

Miss Nichols has lead an amazing life. She not only starred in one of the most popular
Emily Saaen
Jan 25, 2014 Emily Saaen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trekkers
This one could have been named "The world revolves around ME". In this book Ms. Nichols comes across as a very self-indulgent person. Hard-working, no doubt, but too ideal and all winged-haloed, beautiful, faultless, fierce, independent, strong, loving, insert_anything_positive_here. Even when she speaks about someone else - it screams "Look, how good it is of ME to value this other person!" Probably, it's not her fault, but her editors and co-authors could have done a better job, should they tr ...more
Mallory
Let's face it, who doesn't love Nichelle Nichols? She's had an amazing career in entertainment, rubbed elbows with some of the most influential people of our time and she inspired millions of little girls to strive to get on to their own Enterprise, whatever it may be. I thought her book was brilliant and honest. As far as I'm concerned, she's royalty, Hollywood or otherwise.
Kerry
This is a well-written story about a fascinating life. I think the most impressive thing about the book is the readability: it is absorbing and so positive. It is usually the negative that makes a good story, yet Ms. Nichols maintains her positive outlook throughout the book and still holds your attention. Well done!
Judy
Nichelle reveals the Hollywood shuffle game and tells us of conservative suits behind the scenes.
Star Trek- big ideas, big egos, and big legends...
Peter Hofstra
Loved the behind the scenes on Star Trek. I read one review where they found her biography to be very self-indulgent. I disagree. I think she gave us so much of who she is as Nichelle Nichols other than Uhura. Understanding that give me deeper insight into her love and affinity for Star Trek, and for the enduring power of the Star Trek universe.
Two things I did not know, one was a relationship with Gene Roddenberry, The other far more personally intriguing was her conversation with Martin Luther
Michael Burhans
This was a fun book for me. Ms Nichols has been someone I have loved since I was a child. My ideal of what a woman should be contains a lot of her, smart, powerful, kind, creative, and always classy.

While there was a lot about Star Trek and those in it as one would expect, there was so much more too. A real insight into a young Black Actress trying to make it before and during the civil rights era and what she faced, and how she faced it. A sparkling wit drives the narrative and makes it fun
Bj Hoover
This book written in 1994 is a really interesting autobiography of a talented intelligent woman. It not only gives us Trekkers real insight into the history and making of Star Trek, but a peek into the life of a black American woman coming into her own through very difficult times. If you do not have great admiration for Nichelle Nichols by the time you finish this book, you need to reread it with your heart.
Joe
A very interesting book, well written and entertaining as well. Ms. Nichols has lead a fascinating life as a singer, an activist, a mother and of course acting on Star Trek. The behind the scenes from the series and films were fun and interesting, and admittedly my motivation for reading the book, but the story of her life was equally involving. An excellant read!
Virginia Boylan
This is a fascinating look into a world of which I have no experience. I have always found it hard to understand the way society segregates people based solely on their skin color. Nichols is a pioneer is so many ways, and we are all richer for her talent and courage.
Joy
I normally don't read biographies but my cousin sent this in the mail.

I did not realize that Nichelle Nichols was originally a ballet dancer. The story of her early life is very interesting because it addresses the discrimination that blacks faced in that era and her failed marriage that left her a single mother. It was definitely a struggle for her until she landed the Star Trek role. Even then, the character of Uhura was never developed as much as she and Roddenberry wished because she was alw
Marcia Chapman
Well worth the read and full of fascinating information about a very cool woman.
Lisa
I've read all the original cast memoirs, and this one falls a little flat. It ocncentrates on Nichelle Nichols career after Star Trek -- spparently she had a bustling singing career, yet I never knew her as a singer at all. Interesting but after the hundredth diatribe about such and such concert --- that's about all there seems to have been.
Kate
Very refreshing! I mean that in that I often forget that Nichelle Nichols was the only female regular Star Trek cast member for the whole run. It was great to see her take on things as a woman and from the point of view of a woman of colour. She really was a trailblazer in all that she did, Star Trek and outside.
ScarlettMi
I picked this up as a young Trekkie on a mission to consume everything I could about Star Trek. This is one of the few books I picked up on those many trips to the book store that has really stayed with me ever since.

Nichelle Nichols led a fascinating life and she writes about it incredibly well.
Leah
I enjoyed learning some facts, but overall not a great read. Very slow read for me, because I just couldn't get into it.
rivka
Like any autobiography, some bias must be expected, and certain things should be taken with a grain of salt. Nonetheless, an amusing and interesting look at the life of the actress who brought us Nyota Uhura.
Michelle
This was a really interesting book. Glad I read it. I just heard that George Takei was in Detroit this week - how cool!
Katy
Another obligatory biography, but also with some interesting information.
Bill
Another solid biography from a Star Trek star.
Heather
2nd time through: 4/1/1997 to 4/6/1997
Will Clarke
Will Clarke marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Caprice Procarione
Caprice Procarione marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
  • Beam Me Up, Scotty
  • I Am Spock
  • From Sawdust to Stardust: The Biography of DeForest Kelley
  • Star Trek Memories
  • Inside Star Trek: The Real Story (Star Trek)
  • Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual
  • Stark Trek: The Disinherited
  • Star Trek Creator: The Authorized Biography of Gene Roddenberry
  • The View from the Bridge: Memories of Star Trek and a Life in Hollywood
  • The Vulcan Academy Murders
  • Vulcan's Forge
  • My Enemy, My Ally (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #1)
  • Uhura's Song
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Next Generation Trekkers
  • The Great Starship Race
  • Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)
  • Pawns and Symbols
Nichelle Nichols (born Grace Nichols) is an American singer, actress, and voice actress. She sang with Duke Ellington and Lionel Hampton before turning to acting. Her most famous role is that of communications officer Lieutenant Uhura aboard the USS Enterprise in the popular Star Trek television series, as well as the succeeding motion pictures, where her character was eventually promoted in Starf ...more
More about Nichelle Nichols...
Saturn's Child Star Trek: The New Voyages, 2 (Star Trek Adventures, #6) The Nitpicker's Guide for Classic Trekkers