Start by marking “Asylum: The Complete Series” as Want to Read:
Asylum: The Complete Series

Asylum: The Complete Series

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  1,331 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
For the first time, the complete series of Asylum books is available together in one volume. Total word count is around 180,000 words, approximately 500 to 600 pages of a printed book.

After shooting her little brother dead, Annie Radford is sent to a psychiatric hospital for treatment. Hearing voices in her head, Annie is forced to undergo experimental new treatments devis
Published October 9th 2012 by Dark Season Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Asylum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asylum

Natasha
Aug 04, 2013 Natasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
First off let me say I'll be posting this review under each book.

As some people have griped about (especially on Amazon), this book DOES jump around quite a bit but as long as you read the chapter titles, you'll know whose POV you're reading about.
People complain about books where you don't learn much about the main characters & then they complain when you DO actually learn a fair bit about the main characters.
This book lets you know some back-story to the main characters & then lets you
Tom
Dec 31, 2012 Tom rated it it was amazing
"Asylum" has always struck me as a funny word. If we are in a cruel, horrible country, we may be granted asylum in a less-horrible country. However, "an asylum" always brings to mind Nurse Ratched, too-bright fluorescent lights, and over-medicated patients shuffling around, mumbling to themselves.

Lakehurst Psychiatric Hospital is definitely among the latter. It is ruled by the authoritarian Nurse Kirsten Winter, who was hired there right out of college. No patient has ever walked out of Lakehur
Tammy K.
May 16, 2013 Tammy K. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers of psychological thrillers
Wow.

description

This was one wild ride. Every time I got a lock on the story, the 'real' story was pushed further out. Like layers to an onion, I kept finding more beneath the previous stories.

Without giving away any of the twists (and their are many twist in here) I will caution readers that this book is the compilation of eight mini-stories which told together make up a larger storyline.
Readers need to pay attention to when the next book starts if they are not to fall behind.
Also, if you want to figure
Aniko Carmean
Mar 23, 2013 Aniko Carmean rated it did not like it
The ASYLUM series by Amy Cross reminds me of writing workshops.

This is not a good thing.

As a paying reader, and not a workshop compatriot, I do not expect to be bludgeoned by incorrect punctuation, missing words and repetitive scenes. I resisted my workshopping urges, though, until the last third of the book. Frustration sent me to start marking the text, not only because the mistakes were ruining what could have been an interesting story, but because I wanted to see if maybe I was inflating t
Billie
Nov 21, 2012 Billie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adults
Shelves: horror, author
I absolutely loved this series. It took a couple chapters to really get into the story, but once I did, I was hooked. It took two days for me to read the first book, but one day for the other seven. A definite page turner! I finished this novel almost a month ago and still think about it all the time. It reminded me of the TV show American Horror Story: Asylum. Although, I read this before the season started. I haven't started Ms. Cross's other works (I purchased them just after finishing this o ...more
Cheryl
Sep 04, 2013 Cheryl rated it did not like it
I'm not even sure what I just read.

This book seriously struggles to define itself. The author is so wrapped up in trying to be as disturbing as possible, that she forgets about just writing a good story. There are no redeeming qualities to any of the characters. There's no one to cheer for. Every single character in this story (with the exception of one, that we only get about 10 pages of) is without the capacity to love or be loved. There is no humanness to this book.

I'm even struggling to come
Kelly
I'm not going to lie, this book is a mess. The plot is disjointed, the chapter orders are very badly placed and it definitely needed at least one more round of editing. In addition to all of that, there is not a single redeeming character in the story. Seriously, not one. Every character is either a hateful b*tch ( dear fellow members: save your breath in wanting to "call me out" for using misogynistic terms; I'm a woman and I own that sh*t. Plus, I'm probably older than you, so respect your eld ...more
Louise
Mar 13, 2013 Louise rated it liked it
Brian Borgford
Aug 22, 2013 Brian Borgford rated it it was amazing
I really liked this story. It was very creative both in the story line and in the way it was constructed. It definitely kept you guessing from chapter to chapter - what happens next - is it a ghost story? is it science fiction? The writing style was unique, using mainly the first person, present tense, but from the point of view of many different characters, and flipping to different time periods creating a non-linear tale. As others have pointed out, the final chapters take you in a direction y ...more
Michele Whitecotton
Dec 21, 2012 Michele Whitecotton rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this series. As many have said, I liked being able to read all the books back to back. The plot jumped around a bit but I feel that gave more depth to the story. It wasn't confusing at all and you got to see a little bit of the past surrounding some of the key characters. I am facinated by old asylum's and I found the descriptions of Lakehurst and the "special treatment" to be very intriguing. This is the first I have read of Amy Cross but I will be seeking out her other works.
Julie Powell
Jun 05, 2015 Julie Powell rated it it was amazing
This book is seriously gruesome, scary, mysterious, clever and deeply psychologically thought provoking. I loved the way it switched characters and times, thus building an amazing and complex story.

Each of the characters is intriguing - even those we don't really meet - and bring an interesting point of view to the tale.

Extremely well written and highly recommended.
Nicola Lee
Jan 03, 2016 Nicola Lee rated it really liked it
Good, but silly in places

I read this book over a few days, it did keep me wanting to see where it was going and unable to put it down. But, once the end came it was a little silly, but I'm still glad it read it and will read the next........Meds.
Sandy Grissett
Dec 01, 2016 Sandy Grissett rated it it was amazing
Great name for this book

This is a great book by Amy Cross who has a great imagination. It starts off with radio waves, or brain waves. Anyway we will go to Annie who has a younger brother, Taylor that is 7 years old, he disappears for 3 days and then shows back up, their parents are frantic. They move out in the woods with no neighbors, the parents are trying to protect the family. Annie meets a guy named Kieran who is checking the radio signals and camping nearby. I'll make this a little short.
Tina
Jun 20, 2017 Tina rated it liked it
What could have ended up being superb turned out to be a whole lotta meh.

The premise of this compilation of eight novellas is that Annie Radford is sent to a mental hospital after shooting her young brother in the head because God told her to. At the asylum we meet the evil nurse, a couple of awful doctors, the wretched support staff...and the Nazi war criminal in the attic. There are experiments being conducted on the inmates, which can only end badly. What will happen to Annie? Turns out I did
Tawnia
Jun 28, 2017 Tawnia rated it did not like it
I still don't understand

I am a big fan of Amy Cross but I really disliked this book. It was probably the most confusing book I have ever read. Where her other books jump from the past to the present in a way you can understand, this one was all over the place. It also doesn't explain the entire point of the story in a way that doesn't leave you frustrated with even more questions.
T. Giachetti
Jun 04, 2017 T. Giachetti rated it liked it
Mental gymnastics

Wow, reading this book does a work out on your brain cells. If you are searching for quick easy reading horror story, this book is not for you. Lots of plot twists, numerous characters to keep track from prologue to current story line. If you can keep your sanity through this convoluted tale of mental degenerates , the end result is worth it.
Linda
Jan 29, 2017 Linda rated it it was amazing
Really liked it can't wait to read more Amy cross books love me ghost n crazy people

Love to read. Gotta find the rest of Amy cross so I can read them can't wait to c where they take me
John Morris
Jun 27, 2017 John Morris rated it it was amazing
Dark thriller? Ghost story? Horror?

This fascinating book was a mixture of all three genres. I cannot wait to read the rest of the trilogy. I have found Amy Cross stories to be rather hit and miss, but this one was quite exceptional.
Wanda
Jun 10, 2017 Wanda rated it liked it
Crazy

Round and round we go where we end up is Lakehearst psychiatric hospital! This book kept going around in circles. I'm still dizzy! I've read just about all of Amy's books, thank God the rest of them are better!
Nancy J Doyle
Jul 13, 2017 Nancy J Doyle rated it did not like it
Didn't like

My god this is such a sick book I just couldn't read any more of this Amy Cross book's are usually good this was just sick
Tay
Jun 14, 2017 Tay rated it it was amazing
I loved it!

I love the way the author allows us to see the views from everyone. This book was so good and filled with mystery. I can't wait to read the second one.
Mary
Aug 17, 2013 Mary rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished, 2013
This edition of Asylum is made up of the serial books in the series. The book as a whole had some much more potential than what it actually was. On the whole, the story kept my attention if just to figure out how all of the loose ends would be worked out. On that point, it did very well, I was left knowing what happened. The reader is presented with many mysteries along the way and everyone was solved.

The book takes place mostly the Lakehurst Psychiatric Hospital. It is another entry in the 'ba
Jennifer Lappin
Oct 26, 2013 Jennifer Lappin rated it it was amazing
First the bad: the kindle edition I read contained many spelling errors and a few grammatical errors as well. While I didn't count this as a negative towards the book itself, the errors did annoy me from time to time & something I felt shouldn't have happened. Boo to the person(s) that transferred this amazingly engrossing story from print to digital.

Now the positive - Everything about the story itself. This was an Amazingly Addicting read! Right from the get go, the author pulled me into th
laura
Feb 16, 2017 laura rated it did not like it
Poor

So sorry had to give low stars as things in this book were just to unbelievable it kept jumping around wasn't sure where I was or who the chapter WaS about don't think I'm going to bother with second book it was that bad
Carrieann
Feb 17, 2017 Carrieann rated it it was amazing
Good read

As always with this brilliant author there are lot's of twists and turns throughout the book. I love her use of gore!!
Melanie Pietrowski
May 28, 2013 Melanie Pietrowski rated it liked it
unbelievable... the ending was not at all what I was expecting. let's start at the top here though - I did find a number of things wrong and at times confusing.

*Asylum ends at 88% - than begins a bonus book - which has nothing to do with Asylum.
8 Books; last book being broken down into two parts.

* right word wrong spelling (crazy how many times this occurred through out the entire book) also wrong word or words left out entirely.

* I didn't mind the flashbacks as the story progressed, fills in b
Marissa
Aug 21, 2013 Marissa rated it liked it
In a lot of ways, Asylum works really well. In others, it's kind of broken.

Released as a series of short stories/novellas, Asylum follows the lives and goings-on of the patients and staff of Lakehurst, a mental facility that no one outside of Lakehurst really seems to know much about. Each of the novellas is within itself, a complete, standalone short story, and individually, I found each of them to be pretty engaging. Particularly in her pieces with Annie, Cross is able to stitch together chara
Heidi
Aug 02, 2013 Heidi rated it liked it
What did I think? Well first off the book was free so can I really complain? Yah, I think so. The story starts off good. Im hooked into what I believe to be the main character and authors voice. A young girl kills her brother and says God told her to.
Next thing we know, the story is getting told by the janitor, the computer geek in the basement, the wicked nurse, the other nurse, two different doctors, one of which is so extremely short lived that I almost forgot about him and a detective who l
Leanna
Dec 26, 2012 Leanna rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, mystery, sci-fi
Bethea Creed
Dec 26, 2015 Bethea Creed rated it liked it
I was really torn on whether to rate this book a 3 or a 4. The problem is that the plot of this book is FANTASTIC. The story is so fascinating. I love the entire premise of the story. It's really amazing. Even so- despite having such a phenomenal plot- I had to give it a lower rating based on how the book is written.

Cross writes this book in first person- from the points of view of at least six different characters in the novel. Along with consistent shifts in point of view there were constant s
Goodreads Librari...: ASIN: B009OKRB3Q wrong number of pages 2 10 Jun 23, 2017 11:04AM
Apocalypse Whenever: Free on Kindle: Asylum entire series 1 21 May 16, 2013 11:49AM
  • Rough Draft
  • Messages
  • Sea Sick
  • Little Terrors
  • One Blood
  • Where Darkness Dwells
  • Gated
  • A Father's Quest (What Zombies Fear, #1)
  • Dark Legion (The Lockman Chronicles #2)
  • Twisted Vengeance (Twisted Vengeance, #1)
  • Trapped
  • WISHBONE...Be Careful What You Wish For
  • Alex
  • One, Two ... He Is Coming For You (Rebekka Franck, #1)
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • RIZEN: Tales of the Zombie Apocalypse
  • Apocalypse Island (Blue Light #1)
  • Blood Red Riding Hood (Zombie Fairy Tales #4)
Amy Cross writes novels and short stories in a number of genres, mainly horror, paranormal and fantasy. Books include The Farm, Annie's Room, The Island, Eli's Town and Asylum.
More about Amy Cross...

“When one faces death, one should embrace the darkness and accept that life is over. The difficulty, however, comes in letting go of hope.” 2 likes
“The world is a fucked-up place,” 0 likes