That One Thing (Alex and Jared - The College Years, #1)

That One Thing (Alex and Jared - The College Years #1)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A short story

Alex Ross expects to grow up during his four years at MIT, but he doesn't anticipate exactly how much things will change. Graduating valedictorian of his class opens the world to him in ways he never imagined.

A surprise visit from his boyfriend, Jared Douglas, shocks Alex into the realization he's no longer sure how the pieces of his life fit together. He's fa...more
Published November 24th 2012 by Silver Publishing

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
344th out of 599 books — 1,360 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEasy by Tammara WebberFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. StephensEffortless by S.C. Stephens
College Romance
402nd out of 753 books — 5,648 voters

More lists with this book...

Ami
Alex is now 22 years old, going to MIT, being on top of his class, getting offers to work at prestigious firm. Then Jared comes, asks Alex whether he wants to go back to see the land that will end up being their home (if Alex agrees of purchase). And Alex must makes a choice about what he wants to do...

----

This 6000+ short story is basically a filler -- as Diane Adams said herself in the dedication section: ""For all of you who couldn't wait for January". The first half was a sex scene (hey, Al...more
Macky
A nice sexy little interlude with Jared and Alex. Short but very satisfying. True love that has definitely warmed the cockles of this old gals heart! Short enough to fit in after finishing book 3 late last night or should I say early this morning - it's hard to know when to stop with these guys! * yawn*. :)
R.J.
As usual this is a beautiful piece of writing from Diane Adams. I have missed Alex and Jared so much and this little slice of their time at college is just enough to keep me going until MM5 is out in January...

Anke
It was a nice glimpse of Alex and Jared, sadly it was too short! At least January isn't that far away. CAN'T WAIT!
Susan65-Coug "Miss Behaving"
I didn't realize how much i loved and missed these guys. They make my heart happy.
Shirley Frances
Alex is away at MIT just about to finish school. He has done well for himself and has even earned a great job offer after graduating. He's still madly in love with Jared, but he can't help but question if his life back home will hold him back.

I loved visiting with Alex and Jared again. It was nice to see them in a different setting and struggling with some important decisions. The writing was very good. Diane Adams managed to pack a lot of emotion, sexual chemistry and humor in just 38 pages. A...more
dx
Nov 25, 2012 dx rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: have
3.5
The characters are great, the romance is, well, romantic, and I loved the story overall, but (and these are incredibly minor points)...

As a senior at MIT, it seems likelier that Alex would be in a single, or if he does have a roommate, that his roommate wouldn't be an upperclassman. Also, the dorm rooms have locks. He has the presence of mind to put the sock on, but not lock the door?

Just a couple of niggles, but they did make me pause for a bit.
Deeze
Far too short, but still packed full of love.

Photobucket
Edina Rose
If you skip the sex (why the "hot" sex? Should have been more "emotion" sex than "hot" sex), this is a five stars. Wonderful as usual, Alex and Jared create magic with their devotion to each other.
Kaje Harper
I love these characters, which added pleasure to this simple story. No surprises, a touch of nice emotion, and a reminder that even the strongest relationship is built one choice after another.
Candice
3.5 Stars

Loved getting another glimpse of these two, but way to short.
Mrs Condit & Friends Read Books
Diane Adam’s short story THAT ONE THING catches us up to what’s going on while Alex is away at college. Jordan pays him an unexpected visit and tries to hurry a decision by Alex whether he is going to go into Big Business and make the Big Bucks or return home to live with Jordan in their hometown.
Alex has been the one trying to rush things since he was 15 years old and Jordan was the one with his hand on the brakes, so this is a bit of a switch in roles, but it is a chance for Alex to demonstrat...more
Don Bradshaw
Ok we're not used to short stories from Ms Adams unless you take the time to visit her blog where there are several shorts about Clark's twin sons. Find it and enjoy the world that Adams can so lovingly create. This short story is a flash back to Alex's time at MIT written not so much as a filler but as a look at Alex when he's at a vital crossroads in his life. As a fan of the Making Of a Man series, I know which choice Alex made but it was still fun to read the depth of emotion that Ms Adams w...more
clear skies
This series is one of my guilty pleasures. This was a short story and I assume amongst many between Alex and Jared. If you've read the series then you'll understand this review. This takes place whilst Alex is at MIT. Jared wants Alex to make a choice with what he wants from his life. A theme that has been apparent throughout the whole series. It was short but nicely-written. I won't deny the fact Ms. Adams isn't the best writer. Her characters are sweet and her writing simple, but sometimes as...more
Juliana
For people who wanted just another taste of Alex and Jared! This story is so sweet, a glimpse into one of the few successful long distance relationships that I know of. There is a very sexy scene in this book that I quite enjoyed as well! ;) A stop on Alex and Jared's trip to happily ever after. My favorite scene (view spoiler) is a tear jerker!
Tamela
I just love these two guys together. I know it seems like Jared is "testing" Alex, but I find that he is laying out options and leaving the decision up to Alex and Jared is behind Alex 100% no matter what decision he would make.

Recommended for a lunchtime read :)
Isabelle
It was sweet but a disappointment I am sorry to say.
Perhaps it was due to the shortness of the story, I just didn't get the same warm feeling in my stomach that I usually get when reading about Jared and Alex.
But still, read it :)
mw138
Short but very sweet look into the lives of Alex and Jerad as Alex prepares to graduate from college.
Jen (EndlessDreams)
Only negative I had was the book was too short! I wanted more of Alex and Jared!!
Charnel
Great Short Story!! I just love these characters!!!
lee
I love Alex and Jared.
Bev
Yep, short but very sweet. Jared and Alex, you are one cute couple!

Alex is still extremely clever, , clever enough to know that it doesn't matter what he does, it will always be Jared for him, and the life they've built together in the small town they live in. Being headhunted by a large and prestigious firm of architects isn't enough to persuade him to leave his love, family and home behind. Of course, he makes the right decision.
Kukko
Part of the Making of a Man series.

As with all the other books in this series, this story follows a nonlinear timeline and mainly occurs somewhere in the middle of Jared and Alex's 14-year relationship - during Alex's time at MIT.

My issue with this book is that it lacks depth, is very short, and does not add anything worthwhile to Alex and Jared's story.

I cannot understand why it's rating so high.
melek
Jared makes a surprise visit to Alex while in college, Which Leave Alex with some decision to make.
Lindsey  {Lindsey's Bookshelf}
really sweet. kinda wish that this one was a little longer. I love Alex and Jared.
Shelby P
Quick look at Alex away at college. Dorm sex is always hot!!!
Rosebee
A wonderful glimpse of Alex & Jared.
Mirka
Beautiful shortie :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • End of the Innocence (Tales from Foster High, #4)
  • Beautiful Harmony (Conquest, #5.5)
  • A Better Man (The Men of Halfway House, #1)
  • Blood on the Mountain (Mountain, #4)
  • Battle Buddy (Rough Rangers, #1)
  • Compensations (Life Lessons, #3.5)
  • The Cost of Loving (Unconditional Love, #2)
  • Forever Promised (Promises, #4)
  • Superhero
  • Fallen Angel
  • Kieran & Drew
  • Escaped (Little Boy Lost, #5)
  • Inspiration
  • Eight Days
  • An Isolated Range (Range, #5)
  • Campus Visit
  • Texas Heat (Texas, #3)
  • Things I'll Never Say
Our December (The Making of a Man #1) A Place To Run (The Making of a Man #2) Stronger In Your Hands (The Making of a Man #3) If The Stars Fall (The Making of a Man #5) Clark's Story (The Making of a Man #4)