Start by marking “Morning Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #3)” as Want to Read:
Morning Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #3)

Morning Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel #3)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  130 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A gripping prequel to R. D. Wingfield's A TOUCH OF FROST, perfect for fans of David Jason's Jack Frost and readers who love Stuart MacBride, Peter James and Lynda La Plante.

November 1982. It’s been one of the worst days of DS Jack Frost’s life.

He has buried his wife Mary, and must now endure the wake, attended by all of Denton’s finest.

All, that is, apart from DC Sue Cla
Published November 7th 2013 by Bantam Press (first published June 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Morning Frost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morning Frost

The Crime Scene Scene
Morning Frost is the ninth novel in the Jack Frost series and the third to be written by author James Henry. DI Frost is called in to investigate after a shooting at a club leaves a young boy in a coma and a notoroious gangster in hospital. At the same time Frost has to deal with the death of his wife and several other crimes that have occurred.

Its kind of hard to know where to start to describe this bookRead the full review here
P.D.R. Lindsay
A friend passed this novel on to me believing it to be an original. Alas, R.D. Wingfield died in 2007. I am one of those readers who does not usually enjoy follow-ons by different writers. Create your own stuff, I always think, and I don't like fan fiction for the same reason.

The book is okay. Tight plot, all Frost's pals and quirks present, but the edgy dialogue and Winfield's sharp eye for social details are missing.

Readers who like follow-ons and who like British police procedural series will
Wendy Cartmell
Apr 27, 2014 Wendy Cartmell rated it really liked it
Morning Frost, written by James Henry is as good as those written by R D Wingfield. It was so well written, so true to the Frost books and the tv series that I could see everyone in my mind’s eye as they played out the book before me. I loved the early part of the book dealing with Frost’s reaction to the death of his wife and his reaction to the rest of the family members. Classic Frost. Classic R D Wingfield. Classic crime novel.
Cleo Bannister
Nov 07, 2013 Cleo Bannister rated it really liked it

The year is 1982, the place Denton, England and a foot is found in a nearby field while Frost buries his wife Mary. As his colleagues and a large contingent of the Masons in attendance at the wake the criminals in Denton go on a crime spree. With no time to mourn the loss of his wife, a wife who by his own admission he hadn’t put at the top of his priorities, Frost is soon investigating a rape at a school, the shooting of a small-time crook and coming to terms with the fact that a new computer s
Balthazar Lawson
Aug 11, 2014 Balthazar Lawson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third prequel to the original series of Inspector Frost books and this one is the end of Sergeant Frost. It's a good read although this Frost doesn't feel the same as in the original series. The story does feel a bit convoluted in parts but it does come together in a reasonable way. Being set more than 30 years ago it makes for an interesting read about the coming of computers to fighting crime. Though Frost handles this in his usually haphazard style.

A comfortable read that adds to the bac
Kerry
Jan 14, 2014 Kerry rated it it was amazing
what can I say another great book from James Henry. These books really have become my guilty pleasure for the past three Christmases I have hoped for a copy and cant say that I have been disappointed. A previous review has mentioned that this book has caught up with one of the original series. So I hope that this isn't the final one. Or if it is that James Henry create their own character and continue to grace us with their talents.
The story line is typical of a Frost story and is written with
Joanne Nock
Jul 30, 2015 Joanne Nock rated it it was amazing
5*, absolutely loved this. I'm a big fan of the TV series anyway and this was one of the prequels. Newly widowed, the Jack Frost we know and love is still a Detective Sergeant. Lots of the characters are there such as "Horn- rimmed Harry" , Inspector Mullett, who detested our hero, even then. Great plot, fast paced.
Kathleen
Feb 29, 2016 Kathleen rated it liked it
This author is continuing RD WIngfields character Jack Frost. These books aren't in ebook. Think he does a good job of continuing another authors character
Gerda
Aug 05, 2014 Gerda rated it liked it
Not as good as the other "James Henry" Frost and certainly not as good as the Wingfield version of Frost.
Jo
Apr 13, 2014 Jo rated it it was amazing
James Henry does a really good job- Frost is more like the TV version than the previous books. Fans of the programme will enjoy
Eric_W
Apr 21, 2014 Eric_W rated it really liked it
James Henry is doing a marvelous job recreating Wingfield’s Frost character. This is Henry’s third so far, I believe, and is excellent. All are prequels and in this one Frost has just lost his wife Mary to cancer. Frost is still a sergeant, but Mullett is under pressure from the ACC to promote Frost to Inspector. Waters and Frost become friends and we see the origins of the Clark/Frost relationship. Frost is humanized - a bit. Read very well by Stephen Thorne.

The title is, of course, a pun.
Agnesxnitt
Feb 09, 2014 Agnesxnitt rated it it was ok
Sorry to say I just couldn't get on with this prequel, which is a shame as I really enjoyed the original RD Wing field novels. I might go back to this one in the future, well, perhaps.
Jane
Jan 13, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first James Henry Frost novel I have read and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. It has a lot of humour in it and a couple of times I laughed out loud. I will definitely be on the lookout for more of these.
Stephen Coatsworth
Mar 25, 2014 Stephen Coatsworth rated it really liked it
Not as good as the original Wingfield series but worth a read
Ray
Dec 08, 2013 Ray rated it it was amazing
Another great book in this series, hope there is more to come.
Fiona
Mar 29, 2015 Fiona rated it liked it
7/10
Glennys Singleton
Apr 08, 2015 Glennys Singleton rated it it was amazing
Good read
John
John rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Levente
Levente rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Steve Neal
Steve Neal rated it liked it
May 08, 2016
audrey waite
audrey waite rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Gaynor
Gaynor is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2016
Peter Morris
Peter Morris rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Ronald Pearce
Ronald Pearce rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Winter Frost (Inspector Frost, #5)
  • A Little Local Murder
  • Shallow Grave (Bill Slider,#7)
  • Parting Breath  (Inspector Sloan #7)
  • Rivers of London: Body Work, #4
  • A Man Lay Dead / Enter a Murderer / The Nursing Home Murder (The Ngaio Marsh Collection)
  • Music to Die for (The Falconer File, #6)
  • Under World (Dalziel & Pascoe, #10)
  • A Discount for Death (Posadas County Mystery, #2)
  • Off Minor (Charles Resnick, #4)
  • The Big Meow (Feline Wizards #3)
  • Harbour Street (Vera Stanhope, #6)
  • The Murder Tree
  • Upon A Dark Night (Peter Diamond, #5)
  • This Little Piggy
  • A Meditation on Murder
James Henry is the pen name for James Gurbutt and Henry Sutton. James is a publisher at Constable & Robinson, R.D. Wingfield’s original publisher back in the 1980s. Henry Sutton is the author of seven novels written under his own name. He is the book editor at the Daily Mirror and teaches create writing at the UEA. Philip Wingfield, son of the late R. D. Wingfield approves; he remarked, 'The a ...more
More about James Henry...

Detective Jack Frost Prequel (3 books)
  • First Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #1)
  • Fatal Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #2)