Start by marking “Spirit's Chosen” as Want to Read:
Spirit's Chosen

Spirit's Chosen (Spirit's Princess #2)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Himiko's world is falling apart. An attack by the Ookami clan has left many from her tribe dead or enslaved. And those who remain in the ransacked Matsu village are certain they've angered the gods. Amid the chaos and fear, Himiko hatches a plan to save her beloved tribe. Traveling through the treacherous wilderness with her best friend Kaya, their only goal is to free her ...more
Published April 23rd 2013 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Spirit's Chosen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spirit's Chosen

Whitley Birks
I don’t know how to even begin to express my distaste for this novel. There’s too much wrong with it. So many little details and annoyances, so many logic holes, so many obvious gaps in research. The fact that she thought looking Japanese counted as a setting and not a whiff of culture need be included. The fact that “chieftain” is an actual thing and cannot be traded willy-nilly with “king.” The brain-bashing questions of how that wolf clan conquered anyone. (Seriously, you don’t just fuck peop ...more
missART
I'm always a fan of East Asian inspired settings, but the smooth writing of this book is what made slipping into Himiko's world easy. I appreciated the accuracy of the portrayal of Japanese culture during this period of history and how natural it felt through Himiko's eyes. I would recommend this book to any fellow fan of strong-willed young women and Asian culture!
Amy
Sylvia McIvers
Slow, slow opening. Coming home to find the clan has been enslaved - but there aren't any captors around. Life goes on as usual, except with a lot of dead young men and very little food. But we get through winter OK, no one actually dies of hunger.

Then Hikimo goes off on her quest to save Baby Brother. Not everyone else - she's just a young girl, she can't save everyone by herself - but Her own brother is special. Hikimo's best friend goes off with her, because Hikimo can't fight her way out of
Melian
This was not such a bad book, though it did start out pretty slow. The main part of it that I had a problem with was the romance between the main character Himiko and Daimu.

First of all, I really didn't like Daimu. He was very underdeveloped as a character, and I didn't understand the connection between him and Reikon. When he first just showed up in the forest and met Himiko, it was like they were instantly in love, even though they had never met before. At the end when he died, it wasn't even
Joelle Irons
This book is not the strong woman, anti-damsel in distress book that you might think it is. She's a young woman who falls in love with one of her captors; disturbingly typical in the romance genera. She is only able to accomplish anything through the good will of men who adore and faun over her. They speak of her beauty, not her brains. She is at times determined and at times clever. This only ever gets the story moving. It takes the men in her life to get anything done. She even marries only to ...more
Ashley
One of my favorite books in the Princesses of Myths series. I had only one issue with this book and that is that it just ends and then throws an epigloge in. The story itself was good but I think Himiko's story could have been split into three separate books in order to fit more story in.

I loved the characters and the story is well based. I don't know much about Japanese lore but this book has made me fall in love with it. Now I won't deny that I was expecting to learn more about the characters
Lisa
While I enjoyed the first book, Spirit's Princess, this one just fell flat. For one thing, all the highlights from the first book were condensed into the text, it's a tact used in most cookie-cutter serial series...but gets annoying for experienced readers. Either we know what happened because we read the first book...or we don't need the details.
There was also an excess of suspension of belief required to follow the story line. Their life with the wolf clan is questionable. While there's the s
Robbin
Aside from boring, it's all sorts of wrong. How is this in historical fiction? Even if it were fantasy or a made-up world, this book is so slow that I wanted to gauge my eyes out. Or just start a different book. You want Japanese elements in your fantasy? I get that. Read other books that are actually well-written and are either properly researched or are actually fantasy. If you know even a tiny bit of Japanese history and literature, this will make you want to flip tables, unless you fell asle ...more
Katie
I... Loved... This! I think that I enjoyed this more than the first book. I loved the way Himiko went from being a Princess and running away from her father to be a shaman to becoming a slave and learning how not to lose herself and then to become so revered.

I love that she was able to find her "love" in the spirit world and in the living world. I also enjoyed the way the villain stayed the same that he didn't change through out the story and that the reader knows, who she is fighting against. I
Mara
Cover Blurb: Yes or No? Despite the character impersonator, I don't mind the cover all that much. It's a side profile and of course, it's indicative of the book's setting.

Characters: I've said this before, and sadly it hasn't changed: Himiko is not nearly as likable and awesome as Nefertiri from Sphinx's Princess and Helen from Nobody's Princess. While Himiko doesn't come across as spoilt in Spirit's Chosen, like she did in Spirit's Princess, she still seemed much younger than her actual age. An
Intisar Khanani
DNF (but I'm close enough to the end to consider this done). My problem began in believing the blurb - it makes it sound as if the story doesn't start until Himiko is enslaved by the wolf clan. Well, that takes about page 200 to happen. And it's very slow going to 200, but I was holding out. I was excited for the love interest to make an appearance (yes, i admit, I can be a bit of a romantic), and I figured the plot would pick up. But the love interest was a complete disappointment--Himiko is se ...more
Rich in Color
After finishing the book a few nights ago, I’m still unsure as to what to think of it. There were parts of Friesner’s novel that I enjoyed and then there were parts where I just kept reading because I knew I had to write this review. One of the reasons why I think I’m blasé about the novel is because the novel I read before this one left a mark on my heart, had me mourning that the story was over. With Spirit’s Chosen, I put the book down and finished cooking dinner. No sadness, no missing of ch ...more
Connie
The book wasn't horrible, but by the end, I just wanted to put the book down and start something else.
Three key things bothered me as I read the book.

The whole Reikon/Daimu concept: When Reikon was thrown into the picture, I was surprised and wary. Himiko's affection for him came too suddenly, and how did she even gain the mental connection between them? Daimon and Himiko's relationship, on the other hand, was much more gradual and developed, which I liked. Daimu was too much of a "whatever you
Jaq Tan
Kind of a slow story to begin with, leaving me feeling I have had enough of the childishness and all her trying to be what she wants to be. But the story picked up only to leave me disappointed. overall though it was good to read that I was not able to put down until I finished out of my curiosity for what had happened to her and the clan}
Elzbeth
Ms. Friesner's books are NOT historical fiction, I want to say this because that's the main reason her books get low ratings "they're not accurate historical fiction." No, but they are fiction, generally based on historical events and these books are a great magical read for any age.
Rachel
It was very well written. The language is extremely elegant. The story is not cliche. Friesner shows how it is always important to stand up for yourself and be true to what you want.
Jami Lowe
Fun Adventure!

Could have done differently –
1. Too much retelling of information already read in the first book.
2. Sappy love scenes. Blak. I’m not a fan of romance. However, this is not a romance book; so, I only endured it in spurts. And there was one scene towards the end that I found endearing because it showed how much they trusted and supported each other.

Awesomeness –
1) Everything else!
2) Shows Himiko learning and growing within her trials
3) So much awesomeness that when the book ended,
Allison Jackson
This is a continuation of the first one, and is also very good.
This wasn't as good as what I remember the first book being. Himiko is back and still has to deal with warring families in feudal Japan. She is a shaman/princess and still struggling to find her way in life. I love reading historical fiction about Japan, so I found that part interesting, but her soul searching was too slow for me. I wanted a hundred fewer pages of this ARC.
Rachelle
A historical fantasy novel about mercy, protecting the ones you love, making your own choices, and compassion. The world-building and character development are strong and realistic -- Himiko gives in to despair, lets kindness get in the way of honesty, and loses the man she loves. She is a Japanese heroine who leads with faith and a message of peace.
Jess
I really enjoyed this story, however I couldn't help a little bit of frustration at the end with Ryu's attitude of everything but overall I thought this sequel was as good as the first. Loved how strong Himiko's character is and how she is calm in the face of oppression. Great title.
Ayla
This shows the journey of a strong woman that is doing all she believes she should to do what's best for for her people. I really enjoyed it and even looked up to see how much of it actually took place, surprisingly little is know about our heroine so any of this is completely possible.
Lizzy
this book is a bit sad at the beginnign, but when you get to like page 409 to page 412 are SO CUTE and you cannot understand my joy until you read it for yourself!!! So go do it!! right now!!!

The ending is really good as well. Can't wait for Esther's next book!! Yay!
Cecilia Rodriguez
The story is set in fudal Japan. Himiko's clan is attacked by the wolf clan and when she learns that they have taken her younger brother, she goes after to rescue him.

The story is moving and has well written characters.
Meenatchi
This book tells what life is in general. Love, hardship, and etc. take place in this one book. This book is full of twists. I was crying and was sometimes even afraid to turn the page. This is just plain awesome!!!
Maddie
As I didn't really like the prequel to this book, I was a little wary of reading it, but I'm so glad I did. I literally almost cried at the end of this book, but everything works itself out in the end. Beautiful story.
Karie
I'd forgotten that I'm not a huge fan of Friesner's style--it's too ponderous and predictable for me. But I did want to see how things turned out, so I skipped to the end and sure enough, I was right.
Jo Oehrlein
Himiko's story was hard to put down. Her path definitely had some ups and downs; her loved ones were no more safe than anyone else. I liked how she was true to herself and her beliefs.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 23, 2015 05:58PM
Spirit's Chosen 1 3 Apr 07, 2013 02:43PM
  • Silver on the Road
  • A Gathering of Wings (Centauriad, #2)
  • Golden Girl (The American Fairy, #2)
  • Another Jekyll, Another Hyde (Another, #3)
  • Yellowcake
  • The Cadet of Tildor
  • Heart of Glass (Cross My Heart, #2)
  • Bloodwitch (The Maeve’ra, #1)
  • Warrior (The Dragon King Chronicles, #2)
  • Pharaoh's Daughter: A Novel of Ancient Egypt
  • Victoria Rebels
  • Renegade (Ripper, #2)
  • Beautiful Decay
  • Pegasus and the Origins of Olympus (Pegasus, #4)
  • The Stone Goddess (First Person Fiction)
  • Still Star-Crossed
  •  The Fire Horse Girl
Esther M. Friesner was educated at Vassar College, where she completed B.A's in both Spanish and Drama. She went to on to Yale University; within five years she was awarded an M.A. and Ph.D. in Spanish. She taught Spanish at Yale for a number of years before going on to become a full-time author of fantasy and science fiction. She has published twenty-seven novels so far; her most recent titles in ...more
More about Esther M. Friesner...

Spirit's Princess (2 books)
  • Spirit's Princess (Spirit's Princess, #1)
Nobody's Princess (Nobody's Princess, #1) Nobody's Prize (Nobody's Princess, #2) Sphinx's Princess (Sphinx's Princess, #1) Sphinx's Queen (Sphinx's Princess, #2) Chicks in Chainmail (Chicks in Chainmail, #1)