Start by marking “This Thing Called You” as Want to Read:
This Thing Called You

This Thing Called You

4.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  260 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The inspiration of Ernest Holmes has reached hundreds of thousands of readers through his classic works, many of which are just now becoming available in paperback. Originally published in the first half of the twentieth century, these meditative, concise volumes have never previously appeared in paperback. Whether a newcomer to the philosophy Holmes founded or a veteran r ...more
Published January 5th 2004 by Tarcher (first published January 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about This Thing Called You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Thing Called You

The Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoThe Power of Now by Eckhart TolleOm Chanting and Meditation by Amit RayA New Earth by Eckhart TolleSiddhartha by Hermann Hesse
Best Spiritual Books
254th out of 690 books — 693 voters
The Power of Now by Eckhart TolleYou have the Power for Incredible Success. Manifesting Success. by Tessy RawlinsThe Path of Prosperity by James AllenThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillThe Power of Death by Gabriel Dee
New Thought
19th out of 63 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Pamela Laurence
Jul 09, 2012 Pamela Laurence rated it it was amazing
Ernest Holmes and Science of Mind has been a strong influence in my life. To this day, I subscribe to the magazine.
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Oct 11, 2013 ♥ Ibrahim ♥ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
It is evident that this book is written by a man who is full of inspiration and highly educated. When you talk about the Lord and still be able to aptly quote William James and have some precision to what you are saying, isn't that just impressive? How can make what we know work for us and have living, practical faith is the thesis I gather from this charming volume.

On the down side, it can be a bit wordy, but given the time period it was written in, this can be easily excused.
Angelica Taggart
Dec 15, 2014 Angelica Taggart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
I've read this book many times, and each time, get even more out of it than the last time. I recommend this book to newcomers to New Thoughts and seasoned students. It is that good.
R.H.
May 19, 2014 R.H. rated it it was amazing
An introduction to the "Science of Mind," Don't confuse with with "New Age" stuff. This is about the power for good in the universe that is available to all of us and a way to try it out for yourself.
Joseph Naus
Nov 27, 2014 Joseph Naus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
changed my life ... but you need to be ready for it.
read it with an open mind. read it as if what he's saying is true. you can always disagree after you're done. it'll change your life!
i love you!!
Lucya
Apr 09, 2014 Lucya rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who seriously wants a happier life
I love this booK! It is a small book packed with lots of wisdom and very interesting reading. I could not put it down. I kept picking it up, reading just one more page again and again. Ernest Holmes is one of the top writers ever! He can hold one's interest while instilling wisdom through everyday words that are easy to understand and relates his meaning to your mind. I read some of the book to my teen-age daughter and she was actually paying attention. That is something she normally does not do ...more
Robert A. Smith
Jun 12, 2008 Robert A. Smith rated it really liked it
Ernest Holmes wrote about the "Science of Mind" years before the Law of Attraction was hijacked by the get rich quick crowd. Yes, it's true, you CAN change your life by changing your thoughts -- and this generous, beautifully written work has the spiritual depth lacking in contemporary books like "The Secret." It's simple, elegant and outstanding, full of wonderful insights and suggested affirmations. Buy it and underline it like a textbook.
Veronica
Mar 15, 2010 Veronica rated it it was ok
This Thing Called You adalah petunjuk pencarian diri, sebuah pemahamanyang menyeluruh, serta penemuan yang cerdas dan bijak atas diri manusia, Anda akan menemukan banyak hal yang berguna bagi anda dan untuk menyelesaikan masalah yang paling mendasar dalam diri anda. suatu hasrat manusiawi untuk menemukan siapa diri anda sebenarnya.
Rubina
Dec 12, 2013 Rubina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual, philosophy
Written in 1948, the contents of this book is still relevant today. Holmes' teachings on the power of thought, spiritual universe, faith, laws of attraction are truly inspirational. What i especially like are the many mantras related to the various topics that can be found throughout the book.
Julia
Nov 06, 2015 Julia rated it it was amazing
A really good book. Ernest Holmes takes the familiar and extends it into a new space. When we hit that space, we realize our power. You have to insert God into Holmes' work as you read it, and it becomes very clear.

Ayana Mishelle
I love this book about this thing called you !! I have read the affirmations over and over again. This book is a part of my daily reading. It is great for getting your mind in a state of gratitude. Highly reccommended
Mary
Jan 24, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of all the books by Ernest Holmes that I have read (and that's most of them). Easy to read, inspiring, and it can be opened at random and read for spiritual nourishment and uplift.
Gretchen
May 25, 2011 Gretchen rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for anyone who wants to change their thinking. Read it in first person and you have one huge affirmative prayer! I have read it over and over and every time I've learned something new.
Stacy Young
Nov 19, 2008 Stacy Young marked it as to-read
I have just picked this book up and am getting ready to read it. I'm definitely interested in the teachings of Ernest Holmes and his church. I'll post after I've read!
Silvana
Oct 14, 2008 Silvana rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Silvana by: Assigned for CSLSR practical mysticism
my absolute, all time favorite book by Ernest Holmes. Of all his books this one spoke to me the most, it reads like one long prayer. love it love it love it!
Ted
Apr 07, 2012 Ted rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
I found it encouraging as I continue to struggle with my shyness. It is a good daily reminder that you have a purpose in living.
Shell
May 01, 2009 Shell rated it it was amazing
I read this book over and over, it changes as I change, there is always something new to discover in this book.
Jimmy White
Oct 10, 2012 Jimmy White rated it it was amazing
this book helped get me through a very rough patch. I highly recommend it.
Lois
Dec 07, 2011 Lois rated it liked it
It was inspirational, but not a page-turner. I am glad I read it though. :)
Connie
Jun 22, 2012 Connie rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It is part of my daily routine and really enriches my day!
Kissiah
Feb 27, 2008 Kissiah rated it it was amazing
He spoke the truth BEFORE "The Secret" hit the shelves!!
Diane
Jul 07, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
My search continues...
Eric
Apr 07, 2010 Eric rated it really liked it
anything by Ernest Holmes is worth a read IMO. He can do more for your spirituality than you'd ever imagine.
Helena
Helena marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Mona Alzuhair
Mona Alzuhair marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Thapelo Machimane
Thapelo Machimane marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Grace Sanchez
Grace Sanchez is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2016
Diane
Diane is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2016
  • Spiritual Economics: The Principles and Process of True Prosperity
  • Practicing the Presence: The Inspirational Guide to Regaining Meaning and a Sense of Purpose in Your Life
  • The Power of Decision
  • Reflections On A Mountain Lake: Teachings On Practical Buddhism
  • Love Yourself And Let The Other Person Have It Your Way
  • Radical Forgiveness: Making Room for the Miracle
  • The Sound of Colors: A Journey of the Imagination
  • It's Hard to Be Five: Learning How to Work My Control Panel
  • Creating Money: Keys to Abundance
  • The Presence Process: A Healing Journey Into Present Moment Awareness
  • The Skinny on Willpower: How to Develop The Self Discipline You Need To Advance Your Career and Life
  • Be the Person You Want to Find: Relationship and Self-Discovery
  • Around the Year with Emmet Fox: A Book of Daily Readings
  • The Millionth Circle: How to Change Ourselves and The World--The Essential Guide to Women's Circles
  • Jamaica's Find
  • Awaken Your Strongest Self: Break Free of Stress, Inner Conflict, and Self-Sabotage
  • Conscious Discipline: 7 Basic Skills for Brain Smart Classroom Management
  • Focused and Fearless: A Meditator's Guide to States of Deep Joy, Calm, and Clarity