Start by marking “Jane Eyre” as Want to Read:
Jane Eyre
Read Book* *Different edition

Jane Eyre

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  993,247 ratings  ·  24,428 reviews
Charlotte Bronte's impassioned novel is the love story of Jane Eyre, a plain yet spirited governess, and her arrogant, brooding Mr. Rochester. Published in 1847, under the pseudonym of Currer Bell, the book heralded a new kind of heroine—one whose virtuous integrity, keen intellect and tireless perseverance broke through class barriers to win equal stature with the man she ...more
Published June 6th 2006 by Gramercy (first published 1847)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Eyre, please sign up.

Madalina Have you seen the 2011 one? It's an unorthodox adaptation, true, but it might be the only one to take into account that 'Jane Eyre' is a Gothic novel,…moreHave you seen the 2011 one? It's an unorthodox adaptation, true, but it might be the only one to take into account that 'Jane Eyre' is a Gothic novel, not only a romance - not to mention it has a beautiful soundtrack.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Anisha Because she loved him like she loved no other and also mainly because she was worried as she didn't know anything about his whereabouts and well-being…moreBecause she loved him like she loved no other and also mainly because she was worried as she didn't know anything about his whereabouts and well-being which kept her perturbed. (less)

Clare
My copy of this book is absolutely ancient. It's a 75 cent paperback that belonged to my mother. I have taped it back together with masking tape and that is beginning to turn yellow. The edges of the pages are soft. There is a split somewhere near the middle where Jane is discovering her feelings for Rochester.

This is my favorite book in the world.
Soli
Buddy read de Emma Tea Party.
¡Finalmente lo leí en físico!
Hace como 7 años leí por primera vez este libro, y como toda adolescente sin dinero mantenía mi cuota diaria de lecturas gracias al PDF (triste pero cierto) Asi que allí estaba, frente a mi pc, sin saber nada de este libro ni de la gran creadora de esta historia, simplemente abrí el archivo y lo leí...
SANTISIMO SEÑOR COMO AMEEEEE ESTE LIBRO

Sufrí, llore y ame tanto como pude a Jane y su historia.

Volviendo al presente, poco a poco cumplo m
Helen
I came to read Jane Eyre for the second time having dismissed it at school as "that one with the mad woman in the attic". Coming to it again as an adult was a remarkable experience. Indeed there is a mad woman in the attic but she is but a stitch in the intricate tapestry that Charlotte Bronte has so perfectly woven. So pleasurable was my second-reading experience I am truly saddened to only now have undertaken it.
Filled to the brim with gothic Victoriana, we follow the titular character down he
Blake
As always, re-reading the classics for me, is as Epic as the first time I read them. People always ask me, "Why do you keep so many hard back books, and have such a huge library?" And I always answer them, "Because I plan on reading them over, and over again. A good story never dies, it only gets better with age."
Sylvia
This is one of those books which I can re-read every time again and still enjoy the reading.
I know what's going to happen, but I love Jane's personality and her growing feeling of love for Mr. Rochester.
One may disagree with me, but I have a romantic personality, so that's why I like it so much.
R.G.
I rather enjoyed this book... Jane is a witty and interesting character and it's nice to see how she develops through the story from her childhood... there's a lot of good imagery in the book as well that you should keep an eye out for... especially in the artwork... which I love that Jane's an artist and how she's ever striving to do better and she creates intriguing pieces... of course that's all in how I imagine them... plus the other characters are so alive as well... the way Bronte writes i ...more
Lou
Eloquent writing and some good characters and plot. There is a love story and some mystery. I am not going to dis the story just because maybe it's not my kind of story but when finishing the book I felt that it was a much ado about nothing.
Cherie
It is now clear to me why this book still stands the test of time.

This immortalized character, who is a head-strong woman, full of humor and candour, will be loved by you to the very core. You will surely be remembered.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Being forced to tear this book part in English at school is the worst way to be introduced to Jane Eyre. Read it again if your opinion is formed on that because it is worth much more.

(PS same applies to Jane Austens Emma)
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Marcia
Wow, this book was so beautiful! I loved reading every single page of this book. Yes, some parts were drag on and the pacing was slow but I didn't mind because I really enjoyed the story. The characters were amazing and I loved reading about all of them.
Jane Eyre was a fantastic character and it was so interesting reading about her. She's a very different and unique character which I really liked. She's an independent person full of strength and perseverance. She's definitely a very inspiring c
La Petite Américaine
Jun 27, 2007 La Petite Américaine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dreamers
Shelves: classics_i_loved
This is my favorite book of all time. I'm glad I read it now by choice instead of having it shoved down my throat in high school.
Kaethe
The combination of gothic elements and a strong heroine make this an important (and vastly entertaining) work in the canon.
Lija
It was wonderful BUT I have some problems with how one of the characters in particular was dealt with.
Morgan F
It's really surprising how modern this novel is.

Jane Eyre cracks me up.
Kathy
This book remains a classic, a bit of mystery and a love story. Well written.
kaleb quast
fuck the bronte sisters. everything they write is terrible.
Irs
Uno de los libros más tristes y bonitos que he leído este año.
Jen
The real Edward you should be swooning over.
Debbie
Best classic book of all times!!
Linda
I felt like I, probably, read this book in high school. I’m sure that I have never seen a movie adaptation, but some elements of plot seemed familiar. Almost anything that I read in the 80’s is, almost, completely new to me if I pick it now. I don’t think that I would have enjoyed this book as a young adult. I didn’t know enough about literature to recognize Jane Eyre as an impeccable rendition of a gothic/romantic novel, and I didn’t know enough about history appreciate how forward thinking Bro ...more
Ornina
I am immensely pleased i read this book at my current age. With the educational system habit of shoving classic books down teenagers throats i am sure i would not have appreciated nor enjoyed this book the same way i used to resent reading |Pride & Prejudice and The Great Gatsby for English class.
There is something bewitching and magical about this book. Jane captures our attention from the very first page and as the story developed i found it hard to disagree of her choices regardless of t
Monserrat Maxfield Markov
Bien... El libro está dividido en III volúmenes y yo daré un comentario de cada uno.

Volumen I:
Me pareció lento, lo termine en dos días, pero hasta eso no me aburrió, era interesante y a la vez lento. Lo que más me gusto de este volumen fue Helen.

Volumen II:
En está parte se me hizo cada vez más interesante y eso fue por... Las platicas de Jane y Rochester, aunque me llego a parecer bipolar Rochester, me termino agrando, también el romance empieza aquí y también Rochester me desilusiono por lo d
Tia
I LOVED this book! You go Brontë!

First off, I just want to say that the first thing I did when I finished this novel was make a pros and cons diagram of Mr Rochester (the love interest) to decided if he was claiming the spot as my top literary boyfriend. Unfortunately, after the list he didn't make the cut and Mr. Darcy from "Pride and Prejudice" and Gilbert Blythe from "Anne of Green Gables" still tie for my favorite fiction guy. However, Mr Rochester was still amazing enough to even consider a
Riina
Auf Charlotte Brontës "Jane Eyre" bin ich durch die liebe ohwhysosad aufmerksam geworden, da es eins ihrer absoluten Lieblingsbücher ist und sie in ihren Videos immer dermaßen davon schwärmt. Ja und da ich - seitdem ich Ende letzten Jahres "Stolz & Vorurteil" von Jane Austen gelesen habe - in Zukunft gerne mehr Klassiker lesen möchte, habe ich kurzerhand zu Jane Eyre gegriffen.

In der ersten Hälfte des Buches sind die Seiten nur so an mir vorbeigeflogen, obwohl die Geschichte gerade zu Anfan
Gabriel
Rereading this years after my first read, I was struck by several things: one, first and foremost, the general power and magnetism of Jane's character. I hadn't remembered how distinctive and well-observed she was. This really made the book for me in so many moments, including in small ones like her self-aware lack of sentimentality about Adele and children in general, and made the whole thing very readable even when it meandered.

Second was the genuine affinity between Jane Eyre and Edward Roche
Heather
I’m a bit conflicted by this book. I love, LOVE Jane. She’s one of the classic heroines I most want to emulate. She’s intelligent, accomplished, moral, respectful, observant, sensible, honest but diplomatic. She has a lot of self-knowledge. She always does what she feels is right. When she’s mistreated, she stands up for herself (eventually). She has a passionate nature, and she’s not ashamed of her feelings, even when they might be less than charitable.

And I love Mr. Rochester. He’s sly and tea
  • Rose in Bloom (Eight Cousins, #2)
  • Far from the Madding Crowd
  • Richard III
  • Mistress of Mellyn
  • Best Poems of the Brontë Sisters
  • Une vie
  • Can You Forgive Her? (Palliser, #1)
Charlotte Brontë was a British novelist, the eldest out of the three famous Brontë sisters whose novels have become standards of English literature. See also Emily Brontë and Anne Brontë.

Charlotte Brontë was born in Thornton, Yorkshire, England, the third of six children, to Patrick Brontë (formerly "Patrick Brunty"), an Irish Anglican clergyman, and his wife, Maria Branwell. In April 1820 the fam
More about Charlotte Brontë...
Villette Shirley The Professor Emma Charlotte & Emily Brontë: The Complete Novels

453 trivia questions
21 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.” 8033 likes
“I would always rather be happy than dignified.” 7753 likes