Start by marking “Jane Eyre” as Want to Read:
Jane Eyre

Read Book* *Different edition

Jane Eyre

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  1,268,835 Ratings  ·  30,389 Reviews
Charlotte Bronte's impassioned novel is the love story of Jane Eyre, a plain yet spirited governess, and her arrogant, brooding Mr. Rochester. Published in 1847, under the pseudonym of Currer Bell, the book heralded a new kind of heroine—one whose virtuous integrity, keen intellect and tireless perseverance broke through class barriers to win equal stature with the man she ...more
Published June 6th 2006 by Gramercy (first published October 16th 1847)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Eyre, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alex
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lucy Takeda I loved Jane Eyre, and am re-reading it. I really disliked Wuthering Heights myself.

Ayse Kelce
Dec 03, 2015 Ayse Kelce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2016
ancak bu kadar mükemmel olabilirdi...
Kirsty Cabot
Jan 09, 2017 Kirsty Cabot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly wonderful read. It was so beautiful, so romantic, filled with so much emotion and feeling. I'm ashamed it took me so long to get here.
Nathan
Mar 29, 2014 Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2016-july
Beautiful writing and brilliantly crafted characters. This may be the best book I've read all year. I loved it!
Freija
Aug 28, 2015 Freija rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Subisco sempre il fascino delle sorelle Bronte.
Ashley
On this my third reading of this book, I thought I’d try something a little bit different for the review. It was either this or wax poetic like the ex-graduate student that I am, and nobody here wants to read that. (Not to mention, they don’t let you curse in graduate level writing, which is one of the many reasons I decided not to do that sort of thing anymore.)

- – -

Dear Mrs. Reed,

You are a dick. In the parlance of your time, I’m not sure there’s anything I can say to you that will equal being
Marrie
description

Jane Eyre is a haunting, beautiful classic that lives up to it's hype. It's dramatic, funny, sentimental, clever, and honestly one of the best classics I've read. It's right up there with The Bell Jar, The Catcher in The Rye, Sherlock Holmes, and The Secret Garden. And if you know me, then you know that ranks it among some of my all time favorite classics. Now, if you ask me calling books "classics" already makes them sound kind of pretentious, and maybe it's just the fact that the books are hyp
Jasmin
Aug 02, 2010 Jasmin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Classic book readers and people who's a noob in reading classics
For a classic, Jane Eyre is an easy read. The dialogues are simple and understandable, but still wonderfully beautiful. But despite its simplicity, Jane Eyre, never lost its form in being a “classic”.

Jane Eyre, is written in autobiography form. Jane Eyre narrates vital points of her life, starting from her childhood, up to her adulthood.

The major characters are hideously described.

Despite Jane Eyre being described as simple and plain looking while, Mr. Edward Fairfax Rochester described as a ma
Mariaelena Di Gennaro
Ah Jane, come ho fatto a non leggere prima la tua storia? Come ho fatto a conoscerti solo ora??

Bello. Bello. Bello. Capisco perfettamente perchè questo sia il classico preferito di così tante persone. Mi aspettavo tanto da questa storia e non sono rimasta affatto delusa. Mi risulta difficile scriverne una recensione perchè ho appena chiuso il libro, ma sento il bisogno di parlarne e quindi tutto ciò che scriverò sarà il risultato a caldo delle emozioni che questo libro ha suscitato in me.
Parti
Ophelia.Desdemona
4.7
Crystal Starr Light
"I need not sell my soul to buy bliss"

Jane Eyre is an orphan, raised by her aunt, until one day, she is sent to a horrible school. Eventually, she leaves this school and is employed by the mysterious Mr. Rochester, to care for his ward, Adele. Jane finds herself growing more fond of the man...and more curious about the mysterious circumstances surrounding his home.

I have just finished listening to this audiobook, and I am still trying to pick my jaw up from the floor. WOW, just WOW. This was a p
David
It's very strange to me to observe the relationship in literature between physical and inner beauties. Where we began assuming you must choose one or the other, I do not know. It is likely most pronounced in the characterizations of women - the uglier or less advantaged they are, the more good they are, more charitable, more truly kind; conversely, spot a pretty lass and you're sure to have found someone evil or indifferent, calculating and malicious. Whether Jane Eyre is truly as plain and ugly ...more
pink (not just another shade of red)
Jane Eyre is a classic written hundreds of years before I was born and considering the main character's strong opinions, commentaries about the society's behavior, and some touch of sensuality I understand why it received negative reactions from conservative people of that era. Being that said and also putting into consideration the ways, culture, beliefs, language, and writing styles back then... I'd still go ahead and review this book as an honest, opinionated girl of 21st century.

Jane Eyre wa
Aman
Aug 31, 2014 Aman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cant begin to say how much I enjoyed this novel
Jane Eyre is very much the story of a quest to be loved. she searches, not just for romantic love, but also for a sense of being valued, of belonging.
she is an orphan girl. She is very smart and observant though she is small and plain. Jane is a great model of a feminist because she refuses to be dependent in an illegal way and she fights against her own feelings to do the right thing (view spoiler)
Star
Mar 03, 2017 Star rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
قلم زیبا و جذابی داشت، اما ...
رمان های عاشقانه اینگونه اند، هر چه قدر نویسنده تلاش کند که داستانش به واقعیت نزدیک شود ، شکست میخورد. زیرا که آنچنان عشقی واقعی و حقیقی نیست.
نمیتوانی شخصی مانند آقای راچستر پیدا کنی که تا این حد عاشق باشد!
برای همین است که نوجوانان نباید رمان های مخصوصا عاشقانه بخوانند، رمان خواندن ، به تفکراتشان بال و پر میدهد، کاخی میسازند که به سختی ویران می شود ، و دیگر در این دنیای عادی که عشق و دلدادگی جایگاهی ندارد و به سختی پیدا می شود احساس خوشبختی نمی کنند.

اگر آخر داستان
Patrizia O
Se penso a Jane Eyre, al sento come una cara vecchia amica con cui ho condiviso una parte della mia vita, dall’asilo sino ad ora. Un’amica con cui, mi piace pensare, mi incontro di tanto in tanto in un piccolo pub in centro per la gioia di vederci e poterci sfogare. E mentre l’ascolto, mi trovo ad annuire perché molte delle emozioni che mi comunica le ho vissute anche io e quindi riesco a capirla benissimo. Questo non vuol dire che sia sempre d’accordo (proprio come accade tra i veri amici) o ch
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Jane is a poor, plain orphan girl living with her aunt Reed and cousins Georgiana, John and Eliza. She has no friends or protectors now that her uncle is dead, and with her active imagination sees his ghost in the Red Room where she is locked up as punishment. Sent to a girl's school in the country where she is promptly forgotten, she makes her first friend in Helen Burns - who is taken from her when typhus sweeps through the school.

Conditions afterward improve somewhat and she becomes a teacher
Kirsty
Jun 25, 2008 Kirsty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Nothing I could say would do this book justice. I thoroughly enjoyed the story from beginning to end, and was really sad to finish it. Charlotte Bronte is one of the most talented storytellers I've come across. There is something about her style of writing that pulls you in and captures your imagination, whilst taking you on a whirlwind ride of mystery, suspense and romance.

Jane Eyre was ahead of her time in her attitudes, and this really endeared her to me. Bronte's characterisation of the prot
Penny
Jun 04, 2012 Penny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ξαναδιαβαζω με μανια τα βιβλια που ειχα διαβασει στα 13-14. Ξερετε ,αυτα τα βιβλια που "επρεπε" να εχουμε διαβασει, ή τα βιβλια που μας προτεινε -ξερωγω- η "αγγλικου" για το καλοκαιρι , τωρα λοιπον στα 35 τα ξαναπιανω, και συνειδητοποιω οτι ειναι σαν να τα διαβαζω για πρωτη φορα.
Το Jane Eyre το θυμαμαι αδρα, σαν ενα γλυκερο ρομαντικο μυθιστορημα,με εντονα χριστιανικα-θρησκευτικα στοιχεια,και τιποτα παραπανω.
Η νεα αναγνωση ηταν τελειως διαφορετικη, μπορεσα να τοποθετησω την ιστορια χρονικα και ισ
Petra
Oct 30, 2016 Petra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read this book way back in my teens. All I remembered was a bit from the end (and, it turns out, I remembered that in a skewed manner). Even while reading, none of the events were familiar or shook out any memories of that first read.
The first thing I have to say is that this is not a romance.....at least not in my eyes. This is so much more than a man and woman falling in love and facing hardships in order to spend their lives together.
First and foremost, the writing made me fall in lov
Isabel
Oct 14, 2015 Isabel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, 1001-books
Jane Eyre é uma heroína.
É-nos apresentada como uma menina órfã, carente, incompreendida, só e injustiçada, mas ao longo do livro, a autora vai cinzelando uma mulher inteligente, íntegra, de uma beleza (interior) extrema, uma lutadora pela sua independência, obstinada, que contorna os obstáculos que se apresentam com perseverança e defende os seus ideais, em especial no que respeita aos seus sentimentos por Mr Rochester.
Numa escrita rica e harmoniosa, os temas morais e religiosos, o papel da mulh
Yoana Divine
Цялото ревю: http://bloodyravenblog.blogspot.bg/20...

,,Джейн Еър'' на Шарлот Бронте е една наистина невероятна книга - толкова тъжна и въздействаща, но и също толкова силна и вдъхновяваща, тя засяга важни и определящи за живота на хората през 19 век теми. Изказва вечни истини за човешките отношения и любовта, но също така ни позволява да видим времето на Шарлот Бронте през нейните очи и понеже романът е до голяма степен автобиографичен, опознавайки нейната героиня, да опознаем и нея. В този рома
Nnenna
Dec 01, 2014 Nnenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last year I made a list of the top 10 classics I’d like to read or reread and Jane Eyre was on my list. I think I read it when I was much younger, so I remembered very little of the story. I see it as a coming-of-age novel about a young woman trying to find her place in the world. Jane is an orphan and she doesn’t have the happiest childhood. The story follows her as she grows up, goes to school, and eventually ventures out into the real world for a position as a governess.

I feel wary commenting
Olga
Jul 20, 2016 Olga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I would have given it ten stars, if that option was available on Goodreads. Why haven't I read it earlier?
Хочу себе лучшую подругу Джейн Эйр.

«Джейн Эйр» поразила меня. Её можно читать в любом настроении и в любой ситуации. Когда опускаются руки и на душе скребут кошки, Джейн показывает, как можно своими руками создать жизнь из ничего, из пустоты. При этом нет никаких там «позитивчик, ребятки» и «я подумаю об этом завтра». Всё крайне реалистично и местами мрачно. Если перед ней встаёт проблема, Д
Bettie☯
Jan 28, 2009 Bettie☯ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane Eyre (5) versus Don Quixote (28), whereby Jane gets well shafted. For Celebrity Death Match purposes only.

I feel dizzy, am I still in the battle of Lepanto?

I can see sails, swirling sails. Sails going round and round

I am in a shock of fever. I am in a nightmare.

What's happened to my arm? and you could use my chest as a colandar!

Who is that who moves before me, weaving through the mists and sails, sometimes visible, sometimes not.

It's plain that it's a plain face has come to taunt me - a g
Travelling Sunny
Wow. Just... wow.
I love happy endings.

So, while reading the first 350 pages or so of this book, I was already debating how many stars I would be rating it. 2 stars? 3 stars? It wasn't very exciting, and I began to think that whoever told me this was a romance had seriously lied to me.

Then, Jane grew a set of balls and left the miserable bastard and my heart swelled with pride for her.

Then, there were hints about the distant relative who'd inherited the money, and I suspected she had family, and
Tedy
Nov 19, 2016 Tedy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-reader, classics
Some of my favourite quotes: https://bookishipster.wordpress.com/2...

Actual rating: 3.5 stars .

I really liked the beginning of the book but then it kind of dragged for me. I still really enjoyed it though, i thought it was really refreshing to have a girl like Jane Eyre for a main character, especially in a classic. I loved Charlotte Brontë's writing, it was beautiful and easy to read but at the same time it got a little boring for me. I think there were too many unnecessary parts without which
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 21/05/2008 (first published 1847)
Author: Charlotte Bronte
Recommended for: fans of classics

this wasnt my type of book at all. But however the writing and desciption is brilliant it just doesnt capture my attention and keep it. This may be due to the fact that I had to do it for an exam and so was made to read it over and over again. The characters all bring something to the story, there isn't really any secondary characters as the story wouldn't be the same if they weren't there anymor
jenice
fuckin murder me tbh

i don't know what to say about this. it's a classic, probably all that could be said has been said. i loved it so much. the writing was so good. the story was great and the characters fantastic. jane was such a refreshing character. rochester,,,,,, well,,,,,, he was an interesting, for lack of a better word, character study. overall, i'm glad i picked this up when i did (even tho it took me almost a month to finish it yikes), it was exactly what i needed to read now.

also, pro
Andrea
Jun 22, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-collection
Obviously gorgeously and passionately romantic, presciently feminist to its core, a richly layered exploration of morality, independence, nature vs nurture, love in all its guises, the nature of what comprises a home, redemption ... but I couldn't help thinking .... did people REALLY talk like that in the Victorian Era?
I recommend watching the BCC miniseries in tandem - it is sometimes difficult to visuliase Jane and Rochester as his monologues go on for pages and pages...
l a i n e y
I was supposed to read this in high school but I ended up not finishing it.
I started and remebered only the atmosphere: dark, muddy, creepy. So did not go much further than maybe a few chapters at that time.

I did try again much later, after I've seen the movie version and this time I still could not finish the book.
My conclusion is this is probably not my kind of "classic".

« previous 1 2 6 7 8 10 12 13 14 next »
  • The Blue Castle
  • Far from the Madding Crowd
  • Good Wives (Little Women, #1.5)
  • Twelfth Night
  • Our Mutual Friend
  • Lorna Doone
  • The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman
  • O Pioneers!
  • The Last Chronicle of Barset (Chronicles of Barsetshire #6)
  • The Unknown Ajax
Charlotte Brontë was a British novelist, the eldest out of the three famous Brontë sisters whose novels have become standards of English literature. See also Emily Brontë and Anne Brontë.

Charlotte Brontë was born in Thornton, Yorkshire, England, the third of six children, to Patrick Brontë (formerly "Patrick Brunty"), an Irish Anglican clergyman, and his wife, Maria Branwell. In April 1820 the fam
More about Charlotte Brontë...

520 trivia questions
12 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.” 10503 likes
“I would always rather be happy than dignified.” 8951 likes