Start by marking “Into the Whirlwind” as Want to Read:
Into the Whirlwind

Into the Whirlwind

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  1,410 ratings  ·  261 reviews
After her father's death, Mollie Knox takes over his watchmaking company and uses her head for business to solidify the good name of the 57th Illinois Watch Company. Her future looks bright until the night her beloved city is destroyed in the legendary Great Chicago Fire. With her world crumbling around her, Molly must do whatever it takes to save her company in the afterm ...more
Published August 1st 2013 by Bethany House Publisher (first published January 1st 2013)

Erin
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

I've of two minds when it comes to Elizabeth Camden's Into the Whirlwind. On one hand, I like the period and the historic details that were worked into the plot, but on the other, I think the romance between Molly and Zach was too straightforward, predictable and repetitive.

The Great Chicago Fire takes place early on and while I don't feel Camden offered a comprehensive glimpse of the damage wrought by the flames of 1871, sh
Age Appropriate For: 15 and up (reading level and moderate romance)

Best for Ages: 18 and up

How can I even begin to describe how much I loved this book? Maybe if I tell you that Elizabeth Camden is now my favorite author you will start to understand. I don’t think I have ever read an author with such well-developed characters. Against the Tide and this book had characters that I fell in love with so much that I loved a plot that I wouldn’t normally like.

I so understood Mollie. I feel as if she is
Kara
This was my first time reading Elizabeth Camden and even though I wasn’t sure what to expect, I felt like this was a book I had to read. It only took 50 pages for me to become hooked and it was easy for me to fall in love with the story. Mollie is not your typical business owner. She has taken over her father’s watch making company which employees the veterans he served with during the Civil War. Mollie has an excellent mind for business and keeping the figures organized, but one day Zack Kazmar ...more
Ron
Excellent. This is what historical fiction should be like. Camden got both the history, and the feel of the era right. Strong, but believable--especially in context--female lead. Plenty of conflict and growth.

(Don't recall any battles late in the Civil War where the Union forces were threatened as much as the Battle of Winston Cliff is presented. That's okay, Northern units faced--and met--that sort of challenge often in 1862 and 1863.)

One quibble (view spoiler)
Gwen
Mollie Knox craves order and routine, her systematic way of life reflected by the precision watches her company makes. But it's not so much about the watches--her employees are men who fought beside her father in the Civil War, many of them disabled. The only family she has left, Mollie will go to great lengths to keep providing for them through work.

Lawyer Zack Kazmarek is torn between loyalty to the millionaire who saved him from life as an uneducated dock-worker, and the desire to help and re
Nicole
This was an aptly-titled masterpiece! I so thoroughly enjoyed this book, and wish I could read it for the first time again. From the very first page, I felt like I was in a whirlwind, as the title suggests, and I wasn't set down until the last words had been read.

As I said in one of my updates, for someone who always falls for a story's handsome rogue...this book is one masterfully crafted piece of riveting agony! Elizabeth Camden is a master at pulling out the emotions of the characters and inc
Kym McNabney
Sigh! I do so love ELIZABETH CAMDEN’S books. MS CAMDEN is one of the few authors I adore so much that I don’t need to know the title, see the cover, or be familiar with the synopsis of her new release. Nope. I just flat out purchase it, no hesitations, even when I have a pile of books to be read filling my bookshelves.

Mollie Knox’s 57th Illinois Watch Company is a victim in the path of the fire that spread throughout part of Chicago, leaving destruction in its wake. Her father’s building may be
Elizabeth Camden is a research librarian, and it shows in her books. The details of the Chicago fire rang true and the events drew me into the book from the first page when Mollie Knox, the owner of a watch company, and Zack, the lawyer for her biggest buyer, flee the city as it burns.

Although she could walk away from her destroyed company, Mollie refuses. Many of her employees are wounded veterans who fought with her dad in the Civil War. Instead, the remaining members of the 57th come to help
Iola
Mollie Knox is the owner of the 57th Illinois Watch Company, designers and manufacturers of exclusive hand-made watches Hartman’s, the elite Chicago department store. Zack Kazmarek is the son of Polish immigrants who has risen to be the lawyer for Hartman’s. He meets Mollie every three months to approve her designs and he has fallen hard for her unique combination of passion and business sense.

Mollie is suspicious when Zack presents an offer from Hartman to purchase her business outright, espec
Anne
In high school, I disliked History class but if I had a teacher who could tell a story like Ms. Camden, I’m sure I would have excelled. Into the Whirlwind takes us through the horror of the Great Chicago Fire and the months afterward. From page one the stage is set, the cast is ready and the heat is on.

Mollie Knox is a character who has resilience, determination and a huge capacity to love. These traits are echoed throughout the story and shown in eloquent detail. From her business dealings to h
Rachelle Rea
What I Loved

Ever since reading the amazing Against the Tide in less than 12 hours on the day after Christmas, I've been an Elizabeth Camden fan.

I'm an even bigger one after having read Into the Whirlwind.

I read this book over a weekend spent with a girlfriend at the beach--a weekend where I very well could have gone without reading anything. Instead, I stayed up way too late reading about Mollie and Zack running through a burning Chicago.

This is one of those books of which I read every line slo
Ann Saylor

I love historical fiction novels - especially if they have a spiritual undertone. Into the Whirlwind was captivating. I loved reading about the emotional, physical and spiritual ramifications of the Chicago fire. I loved reading about a woman business owner in the 1870s. I loved reading about the minute details of watch-making and clock-making. I loved reading the wisdom of a woman wrestling to understand the passions and longings of her heart. I loved reading about characters struggling to find
Lynne Stringer
I have become a fan of Elizabeth Camden's work, and this novel was a good one, although not without a couple of minor problems. I think it was a little on the long side, the Christian element seemed a little forced, and at times the storyline seemed to jump awkwardly between threads. Mind you, there was a lot to cover and it did fit the disjointed sense that must have existed after the Chicago fire which is the historical centrepiece of this novel.
Ms Camden has a wonderful way of making me like
Rachel Rittenhouse
5 – award winning covers!

I was absolutely blown away by Elizabeth Camden’s book! This book left me satisfied and breathless. When I first picked it up, I was going to read only two chapters, but that was eight chapters ago. A week later, the book was finished! This book kept me on the edge of my seat. I was panting, weeping, and laughing with the characters.

Mollie was wonderful. She was a character that one doesn’t often see, but she is so relateable. She was steadfast, determined, and loyal. Th
Shantelle
Into the Whirlwind is a tale of intricate watch-designing, raging fires, and a whirlwind of emotions. It follows proper, controlled Mollie who runs her deceased father's watch business that employs scarred veterans from the war. And it follows Zack, who is part of the big business that buys Mollie's watches... he's the opposite of proper, but rather wild and impulsive.

I love how Elizabeth Camden incorporates stuff like the Chicago fire and something as fun and unusual as watch-making into her n
Title: INTO THE WHIRLWIND
Author: Elizabeth Camden
Publisher: Bethany House
August 2013
ISBN: 978-0764210242
Genre: Historical

As owner of the 57th Illinois Watch Company, Mollie Knox's future looks bright until the night the legendary Great Chicago Fire destroys her beloved city. With her world crumbling around her, Mollie will do whatever it takes to rebuild in the aftermath of the devastating fire.

Zack Kazmarek, an influential attorney for one of Chicago's finest department stores, is a force to b
Sandra
Oh. My. I loved this novel! Enough said? No? Okay, here's the skinny.

This book arrived as a surprise from Bethany House. (And it wasn't even my birthday.) Since Elizabeth Camden has become one of my favorite authors, I dug into it right away.

First, the cover is more beautiful on the print book than you could ever tell by looking online. Raised lettering. Raised swirly-doos. Depth to the city street. Very classy.

Second, Into the Whirlwind is the first novel I've read in a while that I found downr
Lydia (Overweight Bookshelf)
Full review here: http://www.overweightbookshelf.com/20...

It is easy to become desensitized or emotionally removed from historical facts and events, but Elizabeth Camden personalizes history by giving its patrons stories that are poignant and complex. Not simply a recounting of a catastrophic tragedy that shaped the face and destiny of a city, Into the Whirlwind takes a humanistic approach by examining the effects of the Chicago fire on the populous as a backdrop to an epic love story. The resil
Tegan Vandenbosch
Mollie Knox loved her perfectly scheduled world, run like the beautifully crafted artisan watches that she and her company, the 57th Illinois Watch Company, make for some of the elite clientele of Chicago. But when the Great Chicago Fire turns her world upside down, she must find the strength and ingenuity to help her company rise from the ashes and start anew.

More than whirling flames bursts into her orderly world when she gets to know Zach Kazmarek, a powerful attorney in the city who rubs el
Melanie
Review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1DV7PO7...
Review on my blog (to be posted 9/10): http://christianbookshelfreviews.blog...

Into the Whirlwind is the first of Elizabeth Camden's books I've read and I really enjoyed it! The author did a great job of portraying the Great Chicago Fire - the characters' emotions were so real and I felt like I was there!

The one downside for me were the characters. I liked them all fine, but Mollie definitely wasn't a favorite and I have mixed fe
Megan
I have read all of Elizabeth Camden's previous books and loved them! So I was anticipating great things when I requested to review this book, however I was slightly disappointed.

The story started off differently than I expected, it begins with the main characters trying to escape the fire. This was a different way to start it and, while I somewhat liked it, I would have preferred to have gotten to know the characters a bit first. It was so intense yet I felt disconnected from it. Thankfully, si
Faye
Mollie Knox has found a purpose in following in her father's footsteps by making famously intricate watches, but when the Great Chicago Fire takes almost everything from her she finds herself relying on the one man she swore she'd never trust.
Zach Kazmarek has made a name for himself as a lawyer to be reckoned with, from a humble home he has worked for everything that her has. Zach has admired Mollie from afar for years and now that he has the opportunity to help her, will he keep her best int
Beth His handmaiden
This book gives an insiders view of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 and what it took to rebuild lives, businesses, and loves from the rubble and ashes left behind.
I really liked the characters in this book. Mollie Knox is a independent, strong, and compassionate women determined to keep her father's watch shop open, if for nothing else she has to provide her employees, mostly Civil War veterans with work and stability.
Zack Kazmarek is a influential Polish man who has worked his way up from unload
The Literary Maidens
// Bethany's Book Review //
Bethany's Rating: 4 stars

In the face of tragedy, can love survive? Does it makes the bond stronger, or weaken it to a breaking point? In this story of overcoming enormous difficulties, Elizabeth Camden delivers a heart-racing retelling of the Chicago fire of the 19th century that took out the whole town and forced it to completely rebuild from the ground up, and gives a insightful look into a fiction life which survived that harsh time.

Mollie Knox is the owner and main
Michelle Woods
Title: Into the Whirlwind

Author: Elizabeth Camden

Pages: 377

Year: 2013

Publisher: Bethany House

I usually start off my reviews with a brief summary of the book. But I have to say, I LOVE this book!!! It is amazing. If you are reading this, I hope you decide to pick the book up and read it. Okay, now that I have that out of the way. . .

Mollie Knox is a hardworking watchmaker’s daughter who has taken over his factory when he passed. This takes place in October of 1871 in Chicago, when a woman owning
Kayla Finley
I received a copy of this book for free through Netgalley.

I'm going to be up front here - I loved this book. I'll try not to gush about it too much, and I'll tell you the few things I didn't like, but I had a really good time with this one.

My problem with most Christian fiction, especially historicals, is that the plots are pretty boring. There's only one central conflict that's not enough to sustain an entire book. Not the case with this one.

The first thing I loved about this, though, was the s
Rebekah Gyger
This book was far from a whirlwind. There was no grand adventure or mystery. I knew what to expect and where things were going. Perhaps if Zack had been a mystery to the reader or their had been something more to the deed. But there wasn't.

What brings this book to three stars is the tension between Mollie and Zack. How they fight and fight, and Zack does not seem to get why Mollie is so upset. And then when Zack fights to keep Mollie, even when she continually "kicks him in the teeth". I liked t
Cheri
I read an ARC copy from NetGalley! Review to come!

I loved this book! When her father dies Mollie Knox takes over his business, The 57th Illinois Watch Company. Her unique watches are expensive to purchase. When an attorney approaches her that someone wants to buy the company and have her run it, she told him she needed to think about it and would let him know. On the night of the Chicago fire in 1871, Mollie finds herself running for her life along side the attorney, Zack. I think this is my fav
Goddess Of Blah
It's a really interesting story, I loved the setting, the people working in the watch factory and their meticulous detail to creating expensive couture watches.
description
Then there's the Great Fire of 1871 that engulfed Chicago, which created lots of sadness but also new friendships, and a massive bonding moment amongst fellow Chicagoans.
description
Unfortunately the romance was a massive let down, with a anticlimactic ending. It started off so promising with explosive chemistry, NO SWOONING (hate that) or INSTA-LU
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
I loved Mollie and her determination. She loves the watch company she inherited from her father and she is smart and successful. She cares about her employees, many of whom are disabled and served with her father in the Civil War.

Zack is a prickly attorney who has long harbored a secret attraction to Mollie. Working on a business deal, they find themselves in the middle of the Great Chicago Fire and Mollie loses her building. In the aftermath of the fire and as Chicago rushes to rebuild itself,
  • A Noble Groom (Michigan Brides, #2)
  • A Most Peculiar Circumstance (Ladies of Distinction, #2)
  • Love's Awakening (The Ballantyne Legacy, #2)
  • Grave Consequences (Grand Tour, #2)
  • Stealing the Preacher (Archer Brothers, #2)
  • Love at Any Cost (The Heart of San Francisco, #1)
  • When Love Calls (The Gregory Sisters, #1)
  • Forsaken Dreams (Escape to Paradise, #1)
  • Love in Disguise
  • No Safe Harbor (Edge of Freedom, #1)
  • Snow on the Tulips
  • Love Comes Calling
  • The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn
  • Love in the Balance (Ladies of Caldwell County, #2)
  • A Bride for Keeps (Unexpected Brides, #1)
  • Prelude for a Lord (The Gentlemen Quartet #1)
  • Born of Persuasion (Price of Privilege, #1)
  • Fired Up (Trouble in Texas, #2)
The Lady of Bolton Hill Against the Tide The Rose of Winslow Street With Every Breath Beyond All Dreams

“And why is that?” he asked softly. “Because you don’t scare me anymore.” She placed her other hand on his chest. “You used to intimidate me down to my toes, but since the fire, everything is different. I can be myself around you. Flaws and all.” “You don’t have any flaws.” 0 likes
“I am safe with you. I can be myself and make mistakes, and I know you’ll forgive me. You’ve already done so time and again.” She walked to him, and when he tried to turn away, she grabbed his shoulders and forced him to look at her. “I remember when you came to visit me at the church. I was hungry and dirty and didn’t even have a roof over my head, but when you were with me the world was perfect. And I was happy. I had a sense of purpose and belonging with you by my side. There isn’t anywhere else I’d rather be.” 0 likes