Start by marking “Historic Haunted America” as Want to Read:
Historic Haunted America

Historic Haunted America

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  885 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Continuing the success of the nationally-acclaimed Haunted America and Haunted Heartland, Norman and Scott offer a further investigation into North American ghost legend, a comprehensive compendium documenting yesterday and today's most shocking hauntings in the U.S. and Canada.
Hardcover
Published October 1st 1995 by Tor Books

Laura the Highland Hussy
I was very disappointed in the way this book was written. I liked the way it was done state-by-state, but it sucked as far as description. There was a bland, boring telling of who saw what. There was no storytelling feel, no scary story brought to life feel.
I forced myself through it, got to Nevada, my state, and was sooo disappointed by the lack of mention of Vegas! There are so many mob murders that are local ghost stories, or Liberace, or the Rat Pack. But, nope it dealt with one ghost town.
Breanne
This book is horrible! The writing is so dry, it sounds like a textbook. This author managed to take a completely interesting subject and make it into the equivalent of eating sawdust. So NOT recommended to anybody!
Astrid Yrigollen
This second book was not as good as the first but it is still interesting as an account of various people's experiences of the super natural. I no longer read this type of book ( real life is scary as it is) but when I did read it this was an interesting follow up to Haunted Heartland.
Kimberley
Few books really creep me out. This one did. Can't read it before bed.
Nytetyger
From coast to coast, and Canada thrown in—a book filled with the amusing and creepy things that haunt building and people from the 1700’s to the present. It was a lovely read for October, and I’m keeping a copy for those times I need a wee bit of creepy to share, or for when I’m planning a trip and want to see if there is somewhere spooky nearby!

Andrew Willson
This is one of the longer ghost story collections I've come across and has an amazing selection of stories from all across the US and then into Canada. The vast majority were ones that were unique compared to the several other collections I have and that is always the best to find a few you recognize and then meet many new spirits, be they friend or foe.
Alex Klimkewicz
Collection of "real" ghost stories from around North America. Most of them are not very scary and mostly just anecdotal stories or territorial tall tales. Some are written as histories and others are more like narratives rather than newspaper reports. Interesting, but not extremely memorable.
Jason
More of the same sort of "true" ghost stories recounted in Norman and Scott's Haunted Heartland and Haunted America . ...more
Sara
I hate to stay it, because this book is a valuable record of different historic (read: non-active) hauntings, but it's a bit dry. I made it half through before I skimmed it.
Takipsilim
A dip from the quality of "Haunted America" particularly as some stories from the aforementioned title are used once again in this tome. The book is still a fine read nonetheless.
Amy
I liked it. It had some fun and interesting tidbits of American history and geography. I especially liked realizing that I had driven through some of the places mentioned.
Heather
I read this as a child. It was interesting, there were some "scary" stories, but overall kind of bland. Interesting though, none-the-less.
Jewelz
Jun 24, 2007 Jewelz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes ghost stories from the past!
This book about historical ghost stories as early as the 15th century or earlier...also in later years...very interesting!!
Linda
Mixed bag of ghostly goings on.Enjoyed it.
Natalie
Fun stories to dip into periodically.
Bruce Harrison
Bruce Harrison marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Dexter Horton
Dexter Horton marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Sabah
Sabah marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Blythe
Blythe added it
Aug 25, 2015
Vicki G
Vicki G marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Ellen
Ellen is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2015
  • Haunted Heartland
  • Haunted Places: The National Directory: Ghostly Abodes, Sacred Sites, UFO Landings, and Other Su pernatural Locations
  • Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places
  • Ghosts Among Us: True Stories of Spirit Encounters
  • Ghosts: True Encounters with the World Beyond
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • Encyclopedia of Haunted Places: Ghostly Locales from Around the World
  • The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits
  • Ghosts Caught on Film: Photographs of the Paranormal
  • House of Spirits and Whispers: The True Story of a Haunted House
  • Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from The Atlantic Paranormal Society
  • Grave's End: A True Ghost Story
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • Don't Call Them Ghosts: The Spirit Children of Fontaine Manse
  • Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths, and True Tales
  • The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings
  • A History of Ghosts: The True Story of Séances, Mediums, Ghosts, and Ghostbusters
  • Haunted Britain and Ireland
Michael Norman is a writer who makes his home in Western Wisconsin.

He is the author most recently of "The Nearly Departed: Minnesota Ghost Stories and Legends," published in 2009 by the Minnesota Historical Society Press.

He is the co-author with the late Beth Scott of the popular Haunted America series of ghost stories, and the co-author with writer Carol Roecklein of two vocabulary books written
More about Michael Norman...
Haunted America Haunted Heritage: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories Haunted Wisconsin Haunted Homeland: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories The Nearly Departed: Minnesota Ghost Stories and Legends