Click-Clack the Rattlebag

Click-Clack the Rattlebag

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  837 ratings  ·  165 reviews
Narrated by Neil Gaiman.

"Click-Clack the Rattlebag" is your Halloween treat from Neil Gaiman and Audible, free through October 31. It's not available anywhere else, and for a limited time, each download from Audible benefits educational charities at DonorsChoose.org.
A few words from Neil: "Why tell ghost stories? Why read them or listen to them? Why take such pleasure in t...more
Audiobook, 1 page
Published September 25th 2012 by Audible, Inc.

Becky
I love Neil Gaiman.

I heard about this story about an hour ago, and it being NEIL GAIMAN, whom I love (refer back to sentence 1), I downloaded it. It doesn't even matter what it's about. It's NEIL. And narrated by Neil. *swoon*

Checking my ipod after I downloaded, I see that this story is actually only 12 minutes long. 10 minutes, if you don't count the author's introduction regarding All Hallow's Read, and requesting that people download this book (which is free on Audible.com through Halloween)...more
David Sven
“They come from the dark . . .I think probably they’re made of dark, and they come in when you don’t pay attention”
So pay attention.

I downloaded this off Audible because, it’s free, only goes for 12 minutes and Neil Gaiman seems to be the buzz at the moment. I’ve never read anything of his. I think I’m going to do something about that. It’s narrated by Neil Gaiman as part of his “All Hallows Read” so treat yourself and have a listen.

So what does a Click Clack look like?
”They look like what you...more
Seak (Bryce L.)
I downloaded this when it was free on Audible. It's 12 minutes in total, the first 2 minutes Gaiman explains how donations to charity will be based on how many downloads this received. The last 45 seconds was author/recording information. So about 9 minutes of actual story equates to probably 3 to 5 pages maybe less. All I'm saying is, it's short.

I think it's hard to really have a powerful story in that short a time, even for Neil Gaiman. I won't say it's impossible, it just wasn't the case here...more
Happy Halloween!

**FREE** through October 31st!

PLUS Audible will make a donation to charity for each download.

Click-Clack the Rattlebag written and read by Neil Gaiman (*bows head*) is pure listening magic! My heart and head were captivated at word one! From the sound of his voice to each piece of this spooky puzzle clicking into place—I was caught in Mr. Gaiman’s charming web.

My spine is still tingling with chills! A fun, cute, creepy tale filled with all sorts of tricks and treats!

I just hav...more
Cliff Bumgardner
It may just be that I'm American and as such am hypnotized by a British accent, but I think that every document in the world should be read by Neil Gaiman. Instruction manuals, textbooks, the iTunes Terms of Service Agreement--I'd listen to them all if they were brought to me by Neil's deep, emphatic voice.
My crush on Gaiman's vocal cords aside, Click Clack the Rattlebag is a scary, quirky little story that is perfect for this time of year. Neil managed to capture the excitement that all of u...more
Bonnie
Click...clack

FREE audiobook download on audible.com through Halloween!

Free books are great but even better, Audible will donate $1 per download from Audible.com to DonorsChoose.org up to $100,000, and 50p per download from Audible.co.uk to Booktrust. Both charities promote literacy.
Monique
Oct 30, 2012 Monique rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Monique by: Veronica

Installed Audible Manager, downloaded this free 12-minute (actually, just ten) short Halloween story written and performed by the incomparable Neil Gaiman for charity, transferred it to Wade the iPod, and finished reading listening to it in less than half an hour - and what a satisfying (less than) half hour that was.

I am 30+ years old, admittedly chicken sh*t, and I found myself tightly closing my eyes as Neil Gaiman's voice read the story to me. And scared me.

BOO!

I'm not sure if you can stil...more
Amy Sturgis
"They come from the dark. I think probably they’re made of dark, and they come in when you don’t pay attention."

Pay attention. That is the moral of the story. Ah, but it's already too late, isn't it?

This short, delightfully eerie tale penned and read by Neil Gaiman as part of his 2012 All Hallows Read celebration is well worth the mere twelve minutes it takes to hear. As always, Gaiman leads the listener-reader just far enough, not too far, so that one's imagination may do its worst. That makes...more
annik
‘What kind of story would you like me to tell you?’
‘Well,’ he said, thoughtfully, ‘I don’t think it should be too scary, because then when I go up to bed, I will just be thinking about monsters the whole time. But if it isn’t just a little bit scary, then I won’t be interested. And you make up scary stories, don’t you?’

Мальчик просит рассказать ему сказку на ночь. Но по пути из светлой кухни в темную спальню, вверх по скрипучим ступенькам, может произойти многое...
Это страшилка на Хэллоуин, выпу...more
Charlene
The story starts off with a mundane, very normal scenario - a little boy wants to hear a scary story. Just like the listener. And the narrator is happy to try and oblige the boy. As the boy must prepare for bed, the narrator and the boy move from the warm, lighted kitchen to the creaky, dark, old staircase that leads to the boy's bedroom. Introduce a rather odd bogey monster as the listener is swept up in the tale, and the whole story becomes insidiously creepy and unsettling.

Neil Gaiman having...more
Brandy Shark
This is the story that Neil Gaiman read when I saw him speak/accept an award at George Mason University last month. I was blown away by it. The story is a short story, and I believe it's only about twelve or thirteen minutes long, but it is amazing.

Click-Clack is incredibly creepy. Even though I was sitting in a full auditorium I was still creeped out. Especially on the drive home when I was alone, and it was after midnight, because as the little boy says, "They get in when you're not paying att...more
Loveeac
very short, but definitely not sweet story. I say not sweet, because I've got the shivers. It isn't even graphic or anything, far from it, but sweet jesus, the implications!
Filipe Lemos
Dec 12, 2013 Filipe Lemos rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Neal Gaiman's fans
Much like The White Road, this little short story delivers a simple, somewhat scary story.

In this one, all is plainer: the language, the images, the terror (i.e. there is no gore). This change of tone, as compared to The White Road serves the story perfectly and delivers a quite good (although not entirely unpredictable) ending.

I must say I'm sorry for basing my entire review on a comparison between to pieces that have little in common. I must say I'm to blame, as I read one after the other (and...more
Juju (Tales of Whimsy.com)
Click-Clack the Rattlebag lures you in. You think you know what's going to happen but then in a way that is so distinctively Neil you get spun around. My only complaint is also my greatest praise. I didn't want it to end but Neil ends it in a way that left my mind spinning.

Review Copyright © of Tales of Whimsy.com

To read my review in full please visit: http://www.talesofwhimsy.com/2012/10/...
Philip
Like all good short stories, it gets better the more I think about it. Very concise, with a clever twist(view spoiler)
terpkristin
A cute short story, provided free for a good cause. Written and narrated by Neil Gaiman, it tells the story of getting scared by telling a scary story. And really, who doesn't enjoy a little scare now and then? Get it free at http://www.audible.com/ScareUs
Yvensong
I picked this up for free when it was offered by Neil Gaiman through Audible. As an extra incentive, for each copy picked up, money was donated to a worthy cause.

What made this really fun, was that it was read aloud by Gaiman himself, who is an excellent reader. I didn't find it particularly scary, but it was creepy and entertaining.
Aurora  Fitzrovia
Wunderbar atmosphärisch und toll gelesen. Und schön gruselig. Hach, nur leider viel zu kurz ;D
ABER ich brauche dringend mehr Kurzgeschichten von Gaiman. Und am besten noch mehr Hörbücher, die von ihm gelesen werden *-*

Das Hörbuch gibt es bei audible momentan noch kostenlos http://www.audible.de/pd/B009VHP3TG
Loopy
"FREE through October 31. It's not available anywhere else, and for a limited time, each download from Audible benefits educational charities at DonorsChoose.org"

Get your free copy at audible

Claudia Piña
Es una de esas pequeñas historias que contarías en la hora de las historias creepies de la reunión familiar.

Además, está gratis en audible.com hasta halloween, es narrada por Neil y dura menos de quince minutos. What's not to like?
Daniel
I downloaded this little gem last year from Audible, but never got around to listening to it until now (shame on me). It's a nimble, witty and utterly delightful story perfect for the Halloween season.
Katharina
This currently a free download at audible.com as part of Neil's All Hallows Read.

I love short stories, I love horror, I love Neil, this was perfect <3
Matt
Don't know about the rest of you, but I was not happy when this short audio book ended so abruptly! I want to know what happens next!
Patricia
Neil Gaiman is the perfect narrator for this short, creepy tale. A great one for Halloween or as a bedtime story.
Kristin
So listening to this in the middle of a hurricane, with trees going click-clack in the wind, wasn't my best idea.
Sheldon
Short but entertaining and for a good cause.
Aine
Delightfully creepy.
Shay
(Click-Clack the Rattlebag is a short story written and performed by Neil Gaiman for All Hallows Read. You can download the story for free at audible.com/scareus and for every download Audible will donate a dollar to Donors Choose. This story is only available until Halloween, so download your copy today. If you’ve missed the download, the story will be available in the Impossible Monsters anthology from Subterranean Press in 2013.)

In Click-Clack the Rattlebag, Neil Gaimain turns his normally s...more
Christina
A while ago, I was fortunate enough to hear Neil Gaiman speak at George Mason University. He read one of his scary stories, titled, 'Click-Clack the Rattlebag.' A little boy asks the narrator to take him up to his room for bedtime. It is a large, creepy house. The boy asks the narrator to tell him a scary story, specifically the story of Click-Clack the Rattlebag. The narrator doesn't know that story, so the boy proceeds to tell the narrator about Click-Clack the Rattlebag, which has a warped en...more
Jenn (Booksessed)

It's no secret that I love (almost) everything that Neil Gaiman writes, and that I read (or listen) to everything that Neil Gaiman writes. When I found out that he had released a new scary short story via Audible.com, I was super excited. I followed the instructions: lock the door, turn off the lights, on Halloween and didn't initially think it was that scary...until I got to the final sentence and exhaled, possibly for the first time in twelve minutes.

I think that Neil Gaiman is a good writer,...more
.:.Book Bodega.:.: Happy AllHallowsRead!!! - FREE audio book for Halloween! 1 3 Oct 28, 2012 07:13AM
  • Undead Sublet (Half Moon Hollow, #2.5)
  • The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • METAtropolis: Cascadia
  • If This Isn't Nice, What Is?: Advice for the Young
  • The Wilful Eye (Tales from the Tower, #1)
  • Solomon's Gold (The Baroque Cycle, Vol. 3, Book 1)
  • Gnome Wars - a short tale
  • Doctor Who: The Last Voyage (BBC Audio)
  • Tales From the Clarke (The Human Division, #5)
  • All About Emily
  • The Toymaker
  • Echoes from the Macabre: Selected Stories
  • Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad
  • Torchwood: In the Shadows
  • The Alchemist and the Executioness
  • Doctor Who: Dead Air
  • The Three Loves of Persimmon
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
American Gods The Graveyard Book Coraline Neverwhere Stardust