Start by marking “The Scroll (MysteriousPress.com Bibliomystery)” as Want to Read:
The Scroll (MysteriousPress.com Bibliomystery)

The Scroll (MysteriousPress.com Bibliomystery)

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  25 reviews
An ancient scroll draws a bookseller into a chilling mystery

Monty Danforth finds the tin buried beneath a shipment of leather-bound classics. Inside is a millennia-old vellum manuscript written in an unfamiliar but unmistakably ancient language. Danforth tries to photocopy and photograph it, but he ends up with blank images, as though the ink were made of something impervi
Published November 12th 2012 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Scroll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scroll

Bookkitten *happily drowning in books*
Liked the story. It was well written & felt longer than 64 pages. Anne Perry has proven again that she knows how to bind a reader to a story world and how to leave the reader crawing for more, no matter which genre she writes about.
Victorian crime isn´t required when modern day times themselves have enough mystery food hidden in the shadows of history.
Jeffrey
This is an ebook from the BiblioMysteries collection published by The Mysterious Press in New York which carries the tag line,"Short Tales About Deadly Books".

Indeed, each story concerns a book with evil or death connected to it.

This particular story concerns an ancient scroll that surfaces, and purports to be a document written by Judas Iscariot which is in need of translation from the original Aramaic.

While it is a rather compelling meditation on good vs. evil, and what the contents of the scr
Alice
Mlle Alice, pouvez-vous nous raconter votre rencontre avec Le Mystère de High Street?
"J'ai reçu ce livre grâce aux éditions Ombres Noires. Il s'agit d'une petite nouvelle d'Anne Perry qui n'avait pas encore été publié en France, suivie d'une interview exclusive de l'auteur."

Dites-nous en un peu plus sur son histoire...
"Monty Danforth déballe des cartons dans le fond de la librairie où il travaille lorsqu'il tombe sur un manuscrit très étrange. Et les évènements qui vont suivre ne feront que re
Anjanette
similar to The Da Vinci Code but mercifully shorter. very atmospheric and tense.
Lexxi Kitty
Story opens upon the scene of a book shop worker, Monty, opening a create of books. The crate is a collection that the bookshop owner had bought from an estate sale.

Crate contains leather bound classics and a tin. Tin contains a scroll. Scroll may or may not be ancient. Then these mysterious spooky people start appearing asking for the scroll. A scroll that no one should know Monty has in his possession. The scroll may or may not come from the time of Christ and may or may not "destroy the eart
Lakis Fourouklas
The Scroll is an eBook short mystery that’s full of intrigue, big questions and quite a bit of personal drama.

It all begins when Monty Danforth, a man who works in an antiquarian shop in Cambridge, starts unpacking and cataloguing the books delivered to him in crates by the Greville estate. Among the things that he uncovers is a mysterious scroll that seems to be written in Hebrew.

At first he doesn’t seem to know what to make of it since he can’t understand a word of the language it is written i
Christine
Cambridge bookstore employee Monty Danforth finds an old scroll written in Aramaic in a crate of old books received from an estate. Monty is curious about this scroll and wants to get the opinion of his best friend Hank, a scientist. Monty can’t believe his eyes when he finds he can’ take a picture of the ancient scroll or make a photo copy of it. He has told nobody else about the scroll, so Monty is even more puzzled when he starts getting visitors who all want to possess the scroll --- at any ...more
Bill
Master mystery writer Anne Perry weaves a short story about an
ancient scroll, perhaps dating to the time of Jesus – a tale seasoned
with the supernatural.

What does this scroll in Aramaic say? Is it indeed part of the rumored
Judas Gospel? And if it is, will it contradict the story of the Crucifixion and Jesus’ rising from his tomb?

Three visitors, a bishop, a scholar, and an old man with a demon child
visit the bookseller who discovers the scroll in an estate sale. Should the bookseller sell to the
Nicole
This book turned out to be a lot different than I thought it was going to be when I first picked it up. It is definitely my favourite of the four "BiblioMysteries," having nothing to do with the fact it was written by one of my favourite authors. However, I knew that Anne Perry was a religious person, but I really did not expect that this book would have a religious theme. The theme was very subtle, right up until the end, which is greatly preferable to me as I am an Athiest.

I think "The Scroll"
Barbara St. Dennis
Unsatisfying

Ordinarily enjoy Ms. Perry very much, especially for her crisp writing. This was vague and the ending unsatisfying. She made us care very much about the scroll and then....
Amy Cousineau
Dec 12, 2014 Amy Cousineau rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: familiar with author
A short story or novelette. Good read--it engaged me. The whole story was "unexpected," i.e. it kept going in directions I didn't expect, which made it interesting to read.
Caryn
This was an incredible short story that takes the concept of redemption and runs with it. The only weakness is that it ends too soon, with too many questions left unexplored.
Carol
This is a short e-book by one of my favourite historical mystery writers. However, I don't think the short story is a good form for Anne Perry. The story was very good and building nicely. I was really enjoying it but, as the number of pages remaining ran down, I began to worry that there weren't enough pages left to end the story properly. Ms. Perry does tend to wrap up her very complex mysteries a bit abruptly in the final pages, but in this short story, the end came way too soon. There was st ...more
Paula Howard
The Scroll is a novella, only 35 pages. The Scroll is a ancient religious document that is found within a group of books purchased at auction. No one knew that it was contained within the purchase at that time. Shortly after it's discovery, 3 different people show up wanting this Scroll. It is a well formed mystery that could have easily been developed into a wonderfully rich religious mystery. The Scroll is one of 4 books titled - Bibliomysteries.
Otto Penzler
Robert, a bookstore owner, having just received all the books and papers from an old estate, assigns his employee, Monty, to organize and catalogue them. Among the expected leather-bound classics, Monty discovers something more intriguing – an old vellum scroll. In this intriguing story, Anne Perry delivers a mystery that, like the scroll, is part of something indescribably larger.
David Schwan
Short story about a book seller employee who finds a valuable scroll at the bottom of a box of books bought at auction. Even though the scroll has not been advertised for sale three people request to buy it. The story moves well, the ending was kind of lame.
Pretty good for what it is, though it gets a little preachier than I generally like (I took "bibliomystery" as meaning "bibliotech" not "bible"). Still, not a bad read.
Jessica
This is part of a series of short stories by mystery authors, I think. It was about 40 pages and draws you in immediately. I liked it a lot.
Cooper Renner
Disappointing. Not nearly as well written as the Pitt and Monk novels, and quite didactic in intent.
Lisa
This brief e-book tells a slightly spooky story that is a middling read.
Helga
Short story, very attention grabbing, but with a less than ideal ending.
Penny
This short story has no ending and I hated the subject.
Dina
Not crazy about the ending.
Scott
Interesting short story.
Gail O'meara
Gail O'meara marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Nicholas D'Agostino III
Nicholas D'Agostino III marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Pronghorns of the Third Reich (MysteriousPress.com Bibliomystery)
  • The Hunt
  • Whip Smart: Lola Montez Conquers the Spaniards (Whip Smart, #1)
  • Masquerade
  • The Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches (Keeper Martin's Tales, #1)
  • Threads West: An American Saga
  • Aftershock: The Blast That Shook Psycho Platoon (Kindle Single)
  • Hemingway's Ghost
  • Sharpshooter (A Sunny McCoskey Napa Valley Mystery, #1)
  • Under the Olive Tree
  • Dark Lullaby (Harbinger Mystery, #1.4)
  • The Golden Lynx (Legends of the Five Directions, #1)
  • Blood on the Tracks
  • Courtesan
  • The New Spaniards
  • Psychopath (Crimescape)
  • The Girl on the Beach
  • La Última Jugada

Anne Perry (born Juliet Hulme) is a British historical novelist.

Juliet took the name "Anne Perry", the latter being her stepfather's surname. Her first novel, The Cater Street Hangman, was published under this name in 1979. Her works generally fall into one of several cate
More about Anne Perry...
The Face of a Stranger (William Monk, #1) The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) Callander Square (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #2) A Dangerous Mourning (William Monk, #2) Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)