Start by marking “Brand New Flavor (Delectable, #1)” as Want to Read:
Brand New Flavor (Delectable, #1)

Brand New Flavor (Delectable #1)

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  218 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
When artisan ice cream maker Jericho Brown first meets food writer Cameron Clay at a charity tasting event, they get along like strawberries and chocolate sauce. Jay's unique flavors thrill more than Cameron's jaded palate, but after a delicious encounter in Jay’s delivery truck, where extra-creamy frozen treats are not the only delights sampled, Cameron loses Jay’s contac ...more
Published November 21st 2012 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Brand New Flavor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brand New Flavor

Warrior's Cross by Madeleine UrbanA Slice of Love by Andrew  GreyA Taste of Love by Andrew  GreyA Helping of Love by Andrew  GreyA Serving of Love by Andrew  Grey
Gay Romance Featuring Chefs or Food
13th out of 129 books — 75 voters
Chocolat by Joanne HarrisLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelGarden Spells by Sarah Addison AllenThe School of Essential Ingredients by Erica BauermeisterThe Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
Foodie Novels
32nd out of 107 books — 129 voters

More lists with this book...

Catherine
Ironically, there's nothing brand new about Brand New Flavor by E.M. Lynley. This story is a former Supernatural AU fan fiction; the author has simply changed the names of the main characters, given the story a quick edit, put it on Amazon, and decided to charge you $4.00 for it (you can read the FREE version here: http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/view...).

Now, I have nothing against well-written fanfic - anyone who knows me knows that I love me some Sterek! - but this story just didn't do it f
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*
Cameron is a food critic and discovers the most delicious ice cream ever and it doesn't hurt a bit that the guy feeding it to him is just as yummy and edible as the ice cream.
The ice cream truck hook-up wasn't a great start for me but the misunderstandings and evil ex and lost cards and hard to find ice cream makers made for an interesting twist.
The helpful friends and unhelpful frienemies and an ice cream contest rounded off the two pounds I virtually gained reading this story!
It's cute, e
Adrian Anderson
Yet another former J2 Fanfiction with names changed but the title remains the same - as she usually does. One can read it here:

This isn't a new 'book'. Miss Lynley has not written much NEW stuff in quite a while it seems. If you have read this story before be warned and not buy/get swindled by this author and her unethical publisher unless you deliberately wish to support her. No accidental buys. :P
Andrew Grey
Nov 21, 2012 Andrew Grey rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. The food aspect was fun and had my mouth watering. I also found it hard to put the story down. there was enough to keep me interested without adding a bunch of things that watered down the story. 4 1/2 out of 5
Chris
Nov 25, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
Don't let the snobs and bullies fool you: this isn't the same story as the one on gaia. And it's quite "delectable" indeed!

When I first saw some of the reviews that said it was posted as a free fanfic, I was like, "Crap! Did I just pay money for something I could've gotten for free?!?" But since I'd already paid for it, I decided to read both and compare them. There were different plot arcs and much more content than the fanfic, and overall it was better written, so I'm not sorry I bought the ne
Didi
Sep 04, 2015 Didi rated it did not like it
Well, I like the ice cream. That's gotta count for something, right??
Vio
The sex at the start was icky and put me off immediately, the vibes were bad and it felt off. So its a DNF for me, I couldn't continue.
Tailtiu
Jan 25, 2013 Tailtiu rated it really liked it
3,7* upgrade because I love ice cream...
Cryselle
Dec 28, 2012 Cryselle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, dreamspinner, cooking, 4-5
4.5 rounded up

First off, this story made me crave some really good ice cream! EM Lynley describes the tactile sensations and the flavors in such a way that it was an absolute need to get a bowl of frozen confection, mostly because first choice (of hot guys) wasn't in grabbing range.

Cameron the food critic stumbles on the hottest, or coolest, new sensation of Jay’s novel flavors at a tasting, and also stumbles on the interesting sensation of not being recognized. Most of the folks in the food sce
Ann
Dec 05, 2012 Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, foodie
This was a really fun, sexy and enjoyable read. I immediately liked the two main characters, and especially Jay, who's so unsure of himself, when everyone around him knows he's got a lot going for him. And it was surprising seeing Cameron, the food writer who is tired of eating and bored with the same stuff over and over. "If I have to eat Thai basil one more time I'm gonna puke!"

I admit I ate a few tubs of ice cream while reading this book. I was craving fruit sorbet and chocolate. I could see
Adriana
Oct 25, 2012 Adriana marked it as to-read
Yuummm!
Jan
Dec 17, 2012 Jan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, food-in-fiction
Totally craving ice cream now. And thai food. The descriptions of food in this book were just as amazing as the guys and the steamy sex scenes. Yeah, I need ice cream to cool down after the first chapter!

I thoroughly enjoyed this novella. I won't rehash the plot since the blurb is a good summary, but I did like how both guys had ex boyfriends who made their lives difficult. They both blamed themselves for the relationships going wrong and it made them wary of a new guy's motivations. Jay seemed
Crissy Morris
Jan 06, 2013 Crissy Morris rated it it was amazing

Originally reviewed for Joyfully Jay

Renowned food critic Cameron Clay is on the hunt for the mysterious ice cream man he met at a fundraiser. After a wonderful private tasting and steamy romp in the back of an ice cream van, Cam made a promise to the ice cream vendor to call him. But somewhere between meeting up with his ex-boyfriend, a cab ride, and breaking up with said ex-boyfriend…again, Cam lost the vendor’s card and all he remembers is the name “Jay” and the neon green color of th
Meggie
Apr 14, 2013 Meggie rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
I definitely didn't like how this story began. The story begins at the midpoint, which felt wrong. I felt lost and plain point bored. The sex between Cameron and Jericho at the beginning didn't feel right. After the sex scene, the main story circles around losing Jericho's, who is an ice cream maker, contact information and trying to find Jericho, again. BORING storyline!
The Novel Approach Reviews
One of the things I enjoy about the romance genre is the interaction of the players, the chemistry the MC’s have with each other. At the beginning of Brand New Flavor, Cameron and Jay meet at a food tasting convention, where Jay is giving out samples of his ice cream. The two end up having an “afternoon delight” in Jay’s van, and from that point on, three-fourths of the story is about how Cameron lost Jay’s card and couldn’t contact him for another hook-up; how he breaks up with his ex, Eric; ho ...more
Shannon
Mar 05, 2014 Shannon rated it liked it
I'm giving this 3 stars just because it was well written. If I was rating the actual story it would be 1 or 2 just because I hate the whole "Sleepless in Seattle" thing where they don't get together until the end. They spend the entire book longing for but not being able to find each other. Very frustrating. The ice cream descriptions did make my hungry though.
FlibBityFLooB
3.5/5 stars. An enjoyable novella. I was a little worried when they set into the insta-relationship/sex immediately, but I was happy to see that wasn't going to be the entire book. Instead, it was a mostly satisfying sweet little romance. I would have loved to see some resolution with the ex-bf, however.
Christy Duke
Oct 15, 2014 Christy Duke rated it liked it
I like food. In fact, the thought of food, i.e. what I'm preparing, what I'm serving, how much, etc. is usually a pretty big part of my day. At least, it is in my head, since I tend to gravitate toward easy recipes. Anyway, when I read the blurb for 'Brand New Flavor', book one in EM Lynley's series, 'Delectable', I was excited. I mean, hello? It's ice cream. Pretty much a deliciousness we've all eaten since we were kids. Now, I will say that these books can be read as stand alones and don't nee ...more
Lidia
Jul 19, 2013 Lidia rated it really liked it
A little gem:funny,brillant, smart. Also if short, in this story there are everything....love, intrigues , hot sex and fantastic icecream...I have forget there are also cute protagonist.
Tam
Nov 07, 2015 Tam rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
It was an okay read, and I liked the ice-cream theme, BUT, I kept thinking it would have been so much easier if he had simply told the restaurant owner who said Jay contacted him "Could you please tell him that I lost his business card after I saw him at the tasting. We wanted to do a column on his product so would appreciate it if he'd get in touch with me." And what's up with the creepy ex?

Could have saved a LOT of work and would have theoretically had the guy phone him within a week (probabl
Reggie
Dec 16, 2012 Reggie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Reggie by: Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Shelves: candy-craving
Wow. Check this out, 4.5 stars at Jesse Wave by Cryselle.

In my reading cue...
Penny
Dec 19, 2012 Penny rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
Not my favorite. Found the instant love/connection to be unrealistic.
Tsubaki
I usually don't rate/review books that I didn't finish, but this one's a bit of a special case. So here goes…

Cam was a food writer at a tasting show, where he first meets Jay, the creator of the most amazing ice cream he had ever had the pleasure of tasting. But it wasn't just the ice cream that attracted Cam, there was an almost volatile level of attraction between them. Despite that, many challenges stand in their way, not the least of which were several characters plotting against them.

The s
Becky Condit
Jun 19, 2013 Becky Condit rated it liked it
What does one do when you find a super hot guy, you hook up, figure out quickly you want to see more of him to only lose the card he gave you with his number? In Brand New Flavor by E.M. Lynley, Cameron Clay has one super sexy encounter while tasting ice cream with maker Jericho Brown. Spoons weren’t always involved in the tasting either and Cameron and Jay seem to have real chemistry. All would be great if Cameron hadn’t lost Jay’s number and Jay isn’t confident enough to even reach out to Came ...more
Thomaidha Papa
Mar 26, 2013 Thomaidha Papa rated it really liked it
4 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

How can an ice-cream sample test blow your mind? Well it’s simple, a secret recipe and a gorgeous man feeding that to you can make that happen.

Cameron is a food critic, one of the best out there, but he finds it refreshing that the gorgeous giant ice-cream man doesn’t recognize him. He finds it even more enticing that the ice-cream offered is such a unique thing in a world of repetition and blandness. And when
Katy Beth Mckee
Mar 06, 2014 Katy Beth Mckee rated it really liked it
Shelves: series-books, m-m
Jay and Cam meet over ice cream and then it gets crazy. This is a cut story. Cam works hard to find Jay. The only reason it didn't get a five is I think Jay is just a bit to quick to forgive given how he almost sabotages his own changes because he's so upset at Cam.
Samuel
Sep 05, 2014 Samuel rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, head-hopping-grr
this was my first book by this author and I just didn't like it.
AmberLane
Sep 04, 2014 AmberLane rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 25%
Marinieves Cordero
Jul 21, 2014 Marinieves Cordero rated it really liked it
Ice cream maker Jericho Brown meets food writer Cameron Clay at a charity tasting event. They had a connection and an encounter that left them both wanting more.

But Cameron looses the card with Jay's information and tries to do everything possible to find him... Unable to do so , he convinces his boss to host a competition to see if Jay enters.

After many mishaps and things to try to separate them, they find each other and finally be together.
Ali
Nov 11, 2013 Ali rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm
This one just wasn't my cup of tea. I didn't connect with the characters. The writing itself wasn't bad, but the changing points of view -namely from the "bad guys" was a bit distracting, and I don't think added much to the story.

On the other end of things, the story itself was sweet. The arc was almost Cinderella- esque. But in the end there was so much going on, and none explored very deeply, that I ended up skimming through half of it...
Dreamspinner Press: Brand New Flavor by EM Lynley 4 82 Nov 28, 2012 03:00PM
  • Aria (Blue Notes, #3)
  • Paulie
  • Polyester Prince (ABQ Heat #2)
  • A Tale of Two Trucks
  • The Wolf and His Diva
  • Born This Way
  • When Love Gets Hairy (Provincetown, #3)
  • Still Life
  • Eight Days
  • Hanging by the Moment
  • Knitter in His Natural Habitat (Granby Knitting, #3)
  • Freshman: Uncut (Ivory Towers, #1)
  • Naked Tails
  • Shifting Gears
  • Fire on the Mountain (Mountain, #1)
  • By the Creek
  • Healed Beginnings (Men of Silo #2)
  • Equation For Love
EM Lynley writes gay erotic romance. She loves books where the hero gets the guy and the loving is 11 on a scale of 10. Her Precious Gems series is best described as “Indiana Jones meets Romancing the Stone”—only gayer. The Delectable series is Gay Romance with Taste.

A Rainbow Award winner and EPPIE finalist, EM has worked in high finance, high tech, and in the wine industry, though she'd rather
More about E.M. Lynley...

Delectable (8 books)
  • Sands of Thyme
  • Lighting the Way Home (Delectable, #2)
  • An Intoxicating Crush (Delectable, #3)
  • Gingerbread Palace (Delectable #4)
  • An Extra Helping of Gingerbread (Delectable)
  • Spaghetti Western (Delectable #5)
  • 12 Courses (Delectable #6)