Start by marking “Laying Ghosts (Deputy Joe, #3)” as Want to Read:
Laying Ghosts (Deputy Joe, #3)

Laying Ghosts (Deputy Joe #3)

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  377 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Joe and Kabe must lay the ghosts of the past and bring closure to a family scarred by loss to move forward in their life together.

Some families are haunted by tragedy. Some people are haunted by their pasts. Some men are haunted by who they are. Joe Peterson is haunted by all three.

His parents' return from their mission, combined with a family reunion, forces Joe's kin to
Published January 31st 2013 by MLR Press

To ask other readers questions about Laying Ghosts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Laying Ghosts

Touch & Geaux by Abigail RouxCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatToo Stupid to Live by Anne TeninoTell Me It's Real by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2013
96th out of 677 books — 1,678 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxFish & Chips by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsDivide & Conquer by Abigail Roux
Best Gay Cops/ Security Guards/P.I.'s
256th out of 713 books — 1,087 voters

More lists with this book...

Mandapanda
Feb 02, 2013 Mandapanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
4.5 stars. I love these characters and would have enjoyed this book even if it was just to join them in their everyday lives. The sense of place, the deep twang of Joe's voice and the way he and Kabe relate to each other are so inviting and familiar. But the author includes an intriguing cold case that involves Joe's family and an accident that makes him question his sexual relationship with Kabe that turn it into a top-notch story. There were a few typos unfortunately - I don't usually notice t ...more
Kaje Harper
Feb 14, 2013 Kaje Harper rated it it was amazing
Deputy Joe is one of my favorite characters in M/M, a man with deep convictions of what is right, what is just and fair, a believing Mormon, and yet a man who is gay and a top and into BDSM in a way that he sometimes has trouble reconciling with the rest of his life. And yet Joe doesn't lie to himself (at least not for long), and when pushed to the wall he doesn't lie to others either.

His partner Kabe, for all that he's young, has a similar integrity - the strength to be himself and to know wha
Sofia
Jul 05, 2014 Sofia rated it it was amazing

5 star rating for the series as a whole.

Acceptance and Love that’s what this book was about to me and the message was strong and powerful.

I loved this third dose of Joe and Kabe, love seeing them work out their relationship and just being there for each other. Throughout the series, Joe has noted the way Kabe is different, loving him as he is, not inspite of the differences but because of them, because he is Kabe.

The mystery in this one is one of the best in the series and woven as it was with
Jewel
I think that Laying Ghosts is my favorite novel of this series yet. We learn a ton of background on both Joe and Kabe.

In this novel, Joe and Kabe are pretty solid. They're living together and playing hard, and though Joe ends up going further than his comfort level would normally allow, he and Kabe are able to work through Joe's discomfort. They really feel committed to each other and that is very important to me with a series that features the same couple in every book.

In Laying Ghosts, Joe's p
Bitchie *hates the new GR Homepage*
I just love Joe and Kabe! I was also very surprised by how much I loved Joe's family. I was expecting his coming out to be a big huge thing, and in a way it was, but in the end, his family loved him anyway, and I just love it when that happens.
Lena♥Ribka

DNF at 64%.

I'm terribly sad, unhappy and upset. I can cry.

Because I love Joe and Kabe.

But I had a

*terrible,

*huge,

*awful,

*unforeseen

problem with this book.

I DIDN'T LIKE IT.

And I WANTED SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Otila
Oct 16, 2014 Otila rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-mm
This is the third book in the Deputy Joe series and my favorite by far. I’ve said it before and I'll say it again, I love Joe and I love being in Joe’s head. Joe is just so lovable, dependable and honorable. Being in his head really lets the reader see the depth of his character and his passion.

Joe is a devout Mormon deputy sheriff in a small mostly Mormon town in Utah. He has been excommunicated from his church, shunned by some of his community and demoted in his job, all for having a relations
Debra
My favorite of the series so far. Joe and Kabe are solidly together when this one starts. Joe is still on desk duty logging in cold cases, although he is mostly recovered from his accident. Kabe is fully moved in and moving forward with his EMT/fire training while trying to get early release from his probation.

A lot happens in the book. Again, Joe and Kabe balance each other out so well. The BDSM relationship has gotten quite intense and more hard core. After a particular incident though, Joe s
Jess Candela
Feb 05, 2013 Jess Candela rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, read-in-2013
Deputy Joe is one of my favorite m/m characters, so I was delighted for an opportunity to spend more time with him (thanks, MandyM!). I loved this book, but it was my least favorite of the three. Granted, that's a bit like saying the nougat is my least favorite chocolate in the box.

But unlike the first two books, this one didn't grab me immediately and make itself impossible to put down. I think that was, in part, because the editing was terrible. Joe speaks in dialect, which takes a little get
Emma Sea
Can anyone confirm that IRL there are places where grated carrot in jello counts as a salad?
Ami
I had this book since it was released but only now that I gave a chance to read it. I don't know why -- maybe because it is the latest Deputy Joe and #4 is still in the making?

I love this series -- I think the relationship is solid. They balance each other and Joe truly accepts that Kabe makes him happy. The D/s goes further than the first two books, there's a breath play here as well. I don't completely understand D/s lifestyle, and I think Joe gets worried rings true. I like that Joe and Kabe
Rosa, really

Like this series? Love this series?

description

Click here for a sneak peek of Requiem in Leather: Deputy Joe Book 4.

Thanks for finding it, Otila!
Elizabetta

At this point, I feel like I’ve gotten to know Joe pretty well and I like him a lot, am happy to be visiting with him again. He’s still recovering from the drama in book two, still working to sort his career out. Even though it’s been a while, it’s easy to fall back into Joe’s world.

Whoo-baby, the family drama rears it’s sometimes ugly head as Joe’s parents return from their mission in China and his five (six??) siblings descend en masse. How to come out, where to come out, when to come out. It
Smith Barney
Sweet Jesus. What a deceptively low-key but surprisingly stimulating series.

For someone that despises 1st person POV and characters of a hickdom persuasion and prose..Buchanan sure surprised me when Deputy Joe won my vote..as by far one of the most memorable male characters ever encountered

And let me just say I'll never look at those sweet bike-riding mormon boys the same. My imagination eagerly awaits their next doorbell ringing.

The unorganized spontaneous power exchange and man-loving action
Feliz
Feb 18, 2013 Feliz rated it it was amazing
When we last meet Joe in Spin Out, he’s restricted to desk duty in the aftermath of the professional troubles his relationship with an ex-con cast him into and because he’s still recovering from a car accident. Instead of solving crimes, his job is now entering cold cases into a database, and this is how he comes across the decades-old unsolved death of a little girl. A case that Joe quickly takes personal for a variety of reasons, and he starts to investigate it. Even though he suspects he migh ...more
Kazza
Jan 09, 2013 Kazza marked it as to-read
Oh yes. Another Deputy Joe. Bring on some more of that regional dialect!
Simon
Jan 12, 2014 Simon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, Book three in the series and the best story to date. I love these two protagonists, especially Deputy Joe, the ostracised Mormon, gay Deputy Sheriff.
All three novels are written from Joe's perspective, and we feel his hurt, his elation, his compassion, his angst and his protectiveness for Kabe, his quarter, Asian-Indian lover.
This is a murder mystery with an M/M theme, a story of a family's ghosts and Deputy Joe's search for the truth behind his 12 year old sister's murder when he was still
Lala
4.5 stars.

I lurve Deputy Joe.

I lurve Kabe.

Don't know if this is the last book in the series, but I will gladly read more about these characters.
Purplegirl
Feb 24, 2013 Purplegirl marked it as not-good-enough-2-finish
I really wanted to like this book. I have liked the other two books in the series but this one has me uninterested and bored. I like Joe and Kabe but, this time, the two of them did not keep my engaged enough to read through the mystery, family issues or them together as a couple. Unfortunately, this is a dnf.
k reads
Feb 22, 2013 k reads rated it it was amazing
Strong ending to a really good trilogy. I'd love to read more about Joe & Kabe.
Lady*M
Feb 08, 2013 Lady*M rated it really liked it
Erin (PT)
Apr 26, 2013 Erin (PT) rated it really liked it
Another really great entry into the series. Buchanan consistently delivers and never loses sight of who her characters are, while still expanding on Joe & Kabe's world and history. Laying Ghosts gets deeper into Joe's family, both when his parents return from a(n LDS) mission in Russia and Joe stumbles into a cold case involving the death of his sister, over 30 years prior.

One thing I really love about the books is Buchanan's deep and exquisite sense of place. While I don't feel like Buchan
DaisyGirl
4.0 Stars

The final (?) installment in the Deputy Joe series was ... heavy. As always, I loved Joe and Kabe. But reading about the decades-old murder mystery of a young child was hard, to say the least. As was learning about Joe's mama having (view spoiler). Laying old ghosts to rest proved to be quite a challenge to my fast-becoming-a-fave couple but, happily, not an insurmountable one.

Bottom line: I still <3 Deputy Joe.
Angelica
Apr 16, 2014 Angelica rated it really liked it
Laying Ghosts is the last book of this series, and I loved it as much as I loved the other two. A great thing about this book is that the characters feel real. They are not inherently good or bad, or totally blinded by religion. There is also a sense of place, where I was able to understand the idiosyncrasies of this small town in Utah and the Mormon community. The religious aspect was always there, but not in my face, which I appreciated.

It was great to see the progress of Kabe and Joe. Their
Don Bradshaw
Beautiful ending to a great series. The story was nice and tight and read smoothly. The sex was smokin and it was sometimes how far Joe got from vanilla. The mystery in this segment knocked right on the Peterson's front door. I was touched by the way Joe and his father came to terms over their differences. All of the characters were well fleshed out and most had some redeeming qualities. This is one of those series that gave a lot and I really never wanted to see end. Highly recommended.
Bo
Aug 18, 2014 Bo rated it it was amazing
Lust + Love + LDS Issues Equals Literary Triumph

Firmly entrenched in a relationship with the younger Kabe Varghese, Deputy Joe Petersen walks a fine line in virtually everything he does because he is on suspension for a potential conflict-of-interest which involves Kabe. He is also assigned to do some menial grunt work by his new supervisor which leads to a discovery that turns his world, and that of his somewhat dysfunctional, widespread--and for the most part very traditional--Mormon family.

H
Jane
Mar 04, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, bdsm
Another compelling, very readable story with some sizzlingly hot smut to go with a fascinating mystery. Lots of twists I wasn't expecting.

I really wish the editing had been better. I'm not talking about Joe's voice, which I enjoy. Some sentences I had to read again to get the gist because faulty punctuation had screwed up the meaning.
Christy Duke
Feb 17, 2013 Christy Duke rated it it was amazing
I wasn't worried about this book at all! I loved it! Joe and Kabe were back, living together and trying to figure that out, in the midst of Joe coming out to his parents and being assigned an over 30 year old murder case. I'm really hoping this isn't the last we see of Deputy Joe and Kabe.
Anke
Feb 06, 2013 Anke rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful read! I love this series and am already waiting for the next book. Other than that right now I'm speechless.
Susinok
Sep 08, 2013 Susinok rated it it was amazing
What am I going to read if'n I'm not read to let this go? Where else can you get a good mystery and bdsm?
  • Home Work (Life Lessons, #3)
  • The Elegant Corpse
  • Spook Squad (PsyCop #7)
  • Safeword (Power Exchange, #2)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Mahu (Mahu #1)
  • A Casual Weekend Thing (Least Likely Partnership, #1)
  • Missing Daughter, Shattered Family (David Lloyd Investigations #1)
  • Dirty Secret (Cole McGinnis, #2)
  • Be Brave (Angel and the Assassin, #2)
  • All She Wrote (Holmes & Moriarity, #2)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • Foxe Tail (Skyler Foxe Mystery, #1)
James Buchanan, the author of over ten gay novels and single author anthologies, lives in a 100 year old Craftsman in California with SexyGuy, two demon spawn and a heard of adopted dogs, cats, rats and fish. Between managing a law practice with SG, raising kids and writing books, James volunteers with the Erotic Author's Association, Liminal Ink, the EPIC Awards Committee as well as coordinates t ...more
More about James Buchanan...

Deputy Joe (5 books)
  • Hard Fall (Deputy Joe, #1)
  • Spin Out (Deputy Joe, #2)
  • Light Me Up (Deputy Joe, #2.5)
  • Requiem in Leather (Deputy Joe, #4)