Start by marking “An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)” as Want to Read:
An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)

An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard #1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  2,393 ratings  ·  302 reviews
A preacher is found brutally murdered in a Tennessee motel room.

A beautiful, mysterious young girl is accused.

In this Mystery Readers International finalist for "Best Debut Mystery," criminal defense lawyer Joe Dillard has become jaded over the years as he's tried to balance his career against his conscience. Savvy but cynical, Dillard wants to quit doing criminal defens
Published October 23rd 2012 by Phoenix Publishing (first published November 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about An Innocent Client, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Innocent Client

Monnie
As I've said in other reviews, I'm always looking for a good mystery/thriller series - one in which the stories are good enough that I'm happy to read them any time, but mostly to fill in gaps between other books - when I need something dependably enjoyable and easy to read. As luck would have it, I've found two winners in that department over the last couple of weeks - this one included.

I keep a running list of free and low-cost books I've downloaded as a result of membership in services like B
Eric_W
Joe Dillard has had it with the justice system. "The whole system is crazy. For over ten years, I've been traveling every day to this bizarre world of lies and deceit. There's no honor in it anywhere. It's all a sick game, and the people who win the most are the ones who lie the best. They call it the criminaljusticesystem. What a crock. Defendants lie and cheat, police officers lie and cheat, prosecutors lie and cheat, defense lawyers lie and cheat, and judges--Jesus, don't get me started. The ...more
Wendy Soliman
I really enjoyed this disillusioned defense lawyer's quest for an innocent client and his ethical struggles to come to terms with what he did for a living, juggling his family life, along with a drug addict sister and mother who was dying.

When a preacher visits a gentleman's club and then finishes up dead in his hotel room with his penis chopped off, Joe defends the beautiful young lady accused of the crime. Could she be his long-awaited innocent client? I only deducted one star because the reas
Joseph
This is the first book in the Joe Dillard series of legal thrillers by Scott Pratt. It is also the first book by this author that I have ever read.

Joe Dillard is a criminal defence attorney, that is he defends murderers, thieves, drug dealers, prostitutes and rapists among others. Although he has made a lot of success in this career, he is now fed up of defending such scumbags. Having now saved a considerable amount of money, he wants to quit the legal profession permanently but before that he w
Ray Cerrone
I stumbled onto Scott Pratt through the Kindle Owners Lending Library. This is a feature provided to kindle readers that allows for one book per month at no charge.

Pratt writes a books that moves at the pace of a John Grisham novel, but tells multiple stories from the life an an attorney at one time. Most Grisham novels, focus on one case while Pratt focuses on many cases.

Pratts books also develops the character in a manner that allows the reader to understand the perspective of the attorney in
Marisa
I wavered between 3 and 4 starts with this book. I really liked the main characters and I was pulled in by the summary on the back, but I felt like half the book was about other criminals that Joe Dillard was representing and not about the story I was expecting.
Judy Collins
The audiobook was quite entertaining! My first by Pratt, and looking forward to reading all the books in the Joe Dillard, series. Review to follow!
Patricia
Terriffic! This story had everything. Lots of bad guys, a few good guys, sympathetic victim and a lawyer with a conscience! I loved it! Can't wait to read book 2.
Stephanie
Pretty good light reading if you like crime novels. Picked it up for a buck on Amazon and enjoyed it.
Dot
A preacher is found brutally murdered in a Tennessee motel room.
A beautiful, mysterious young girl is accused.
In this bestselling debut, criminal defense lawyer Joe Dillard has become jaded over the years as he's tried to balance his career against his conscience. Savvy but cynical, Dillard wants to quit doing criminal defense, but he can't resist the chance to represent someone who might actually be innocent.
His drug-addicted sister has just been released from prison and his mother is succumb
Nancy
Oct 24, 2014 Nancy added it
Ben
AN INNOCENT CILENT was an enjoyable book.
Considering that it concerns the trial of a young woman accused off the murder and mutilating of a man, albeit a sleazy hypocrite, the ending left me with a smile.
I had read another book of Mr. Pratt's Joe Dillard books and thought it was quite good, so I wanted to read the first of the series. This one, too, is well written . It reveals the character of the lawyer - hero Dillard , who is sickened and depressed by his life as a criminal lawyer. DillArd is
Jay
I found An Innocent Client while browsing for something to read from the new Kindle Unlimited program. The premise looked interesting so I thought I would give it a shot. I have to say that I really enjoyed the story.

Joe is a defense attorney that desperately wants to get out of his profession and move on to something that he can feel proud of. He decides to take on one last case before he retires, and the case turns out to be more than he expected.

Throughout the novel, Joe has to deal with twis
This was a good, light read. The story moved along at a good clip which I really like. I appreciated the character development of the main character and his sister. I gave it 3 stars instead of 4 because while it was intriguing and I definitely enjoyed it - I do recommend it - I didn't lie awake nights wondering what was happening with the characters as I do with fiction I consider exceptionally compelling.

If you like a fast paced courtroom drama with relatable characters and good action you'll
Niles
Scott Pratt introduces readers to Joe Dillard, a defense attorney who is becoming disenchanted with his job. Initially wanting to be a prosecutor, Joe changes sides when he finds out how small of a salary they earned. With the intention of going into the prosecutors office after he earned some money, time seemed to fly by with no change of employment.

As the story begins, Joe is celebrating his fortieth birthday and has finally decided he has had enough of defending the scum of the earth. His bir
Adam Lawler
I read and write mysteries, so there were many parts of this book I really enjoyed. I loved the Dillard characters, both Joe and Caroline. Joe was an honest character, dealing with our mid-life crisis; aging, a less capable body, occupational stagnation, etc. Caroline reminds me a lot of my Connie character in "Barely Retired", a loving wife who stands by and supports her man, despite him not being perfect.

At times, Pratt did a great job writing. His action scenes were good, especially the last
Stephanie
This was a solid read with a few plot twists and characters that made it a fun little book. It isn't as suspenseful as a lot of crime thrillers, but it still kept me interested. The main character, Joe Dillard, is incredibly likeable and relatable.

It's a quick read, and I'm certainly going to try to track down the next book in the series. I have a few minor quips, but overall it is a great rainy day read or perfect for the beach.
Rex Fuller
Great fun read. Joe Dillard wants one thing before he gets out of criminal defense forever, an innocent client. What happens between wanting and getting one is a great murder trial yarn. The characters we can't help but like, as well as the ones we don't, are all just a little bit guilty. Or maybe more. The book keeps you wanting come-uppance and catharsis to be properly distributed and satisfies the desire.
Mixed feelings

This was my first read by this author, and it was enjoyable. It held my interest and surprised me a couple of times, but it wasn't great enough for me to totally gush over either.

This is the story of a defense lawyer and his case defending a young woman. There were several chapters that pertained to different cases this lawyer is involved in, and I found the detailed information about the other cases to be distracting from the main story. I see this is the first book in a series so
Mark
Two things become quickly apparent as you start to read An Innocent Client: Scott Pratt is an English Major, and he's an attorney. His writing is confident and crisp. His dialogue moves so briskly and naturally you forget you're reading. And the man flat-out knows the law. Beyond that, the story builds momentum from the outset. Before you know it, you're hurtling toward the climax and forgetting all else around you. It's worth everything you neglected to get to the end of this immensely satisfyi ...more
Harold Kasselman
This was a thoroughly pleasureable read. I read it at the beach and at the pool in three days. It was a fun filled leagl story full of twists and some honest emotion about what some criminal defense lawyers feel about their jobs. As a lawyer, I could relate to it very well. Great story.
Pamela Beckford
This was an interesting suspense story. Joe Dillard wants to quit being a criminal defense lawyer. This book details his final cases. There are, of course, plot twists. I can't say I was terribly surprised by anything but it was still a fun read. Joe has a birthday wish...just to have one innocent client. As the story unfolds, we meet some colorful characters. Erlene sounds like someone I probably wouldn't be friends with, but she is definitely unpredictable and fun.

The author's way of describi
Angela Marie Schmoll
I discovered Scott Pratt and the Joe Dillard series with a free offer of the second book, and really like the characters and Pratt's writing style. When a box set was offered in my recommendations, I snapped it up and started with the first of the series. I'm glad I did.
If you enjoy legal thrillers in the Grisham style, odds are good you'll like the Joe Dillard series. And it's good to start at the beginning. In an Innocent Client, Dillard is a defense attorney conflicted about his role in the
Larry Vanzalen
A great read. I thoroughly enjoyed Mr. Pratt's style and the story. As with all legal thrillers, it's not a quick, light read. It takes a little time and effort to keep up with all of the characters and intricacies of the plot twists. I has a great surprise ending. More over, the first person parts of the story as told by Joe Dillard, the lawyer, is honest and human. Unlike the usual hero in a story such as this, there is no macho bull shit to wade through. Dillard is at odds with himself, his h ...more
Cheryl
Very good reading!

I am not usually very impressed with too many authors. Most likely they're new and I found their books entertaining but could tell it was their first try. I don't know how many or how little Scott Pratt has written but this book had me from the start. I had to read all of it in one sitting. The style, the character development and plot was superb. While I thought I knew who committed the crime I was impressed how doubt stayed in my mind until the very end. I cannot wait to pick
Lyndsy
I really enjoyed this book. I think the author does a great job of character development, which is hugely important in a series. The characters are going to stick with you for a while, you may as well get to know them. Characters beyond the main character have issues they go through.

As a former practitioner of criminal law, I can totally understand Dillard's drive to have an innocent client. Of course, those battles are occasionally the hardest since the system doesn't always work.

I still don't
Michael E. Humphrey
Don't waste your time or money.

This book verifies the old saying "If you can't be clever, be crude." Whether he's trying for shock value or he he's over compensating for an inferiority complex in sexual matters, the frequency of the crass sexual descriptions detracts from the story line so much that I gave up on the whole book after the first few chapters. I have no interest whatsoever in knowing how this story turned out and no interest in reading any more books by this author. John Gresham, Sh
Melanie
I downloaded this book as part of my Amazon Prime membership. For a free book it wasn't bad. The story was a little bit disjointed. And it took a little while to get to the main point. The characters and story line were not deeply developed.
The book tells the story of a defense attorney who wishes to actually have an innocent client for once. He is approaching the end of his career, and finds he has become jaded.

It is a little bit predictable, and the side stories don't really add much to the
Joe Vitucci
is this the john MacDonald recast as a lawyer and not a P.I. type in Florida? maybe, maybe not. that was my initial impression about mid-way thru the book. I liked the all the characters, including the drug addict sister, the strip club owner, the judge, everyone. Scott Pratt has a whole series about?out this lawyer, and apparently, he makes the switch from defense lawyer to a prosecuting attorney, or at least the teaser at the end of the book leads us to believe that. Looking forward to reading ...more
Brandy Evans
Starts slow, but builds well!

It was a little bit hard for more to get into this book in the beginning, it didn't grab me right away. I was around 15-20% through before it really started building interest for me, but it had so many 5 star reviews that I wanted to give it a chance. I'm really glad I stuck with it because it got much better pretty quickly and by the end I was quite fascinated. I would not have been able to predict the ending, lots of surprises! I highly recommend this book!
Grammar used in book 8 20 Oct 24, 2014 09:05AM
Blue Moon Book Lo...: December 2013 BOTM - "An Innocent Client" by Scott Pratt 2 6 Dec 13, 2013 11:23AM
  • Blueblood (Marty Singer #2)
  • No Time To Run
  • Disappear
  • Torch Ginger (Lei Crime, #2)
  • The Advocate
  • Dire Means
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • The Devil's Deep
  • The Blade (The Mafia Trilogy - Book Two)
  • Nailed (A Ron Ketchum Mystery #1)
  • No Cure For Murder
  • Ascension Day
  • Panic (A Leopold Blake Thriller #2)
  • Dead Of Winter (Louis Kincaid, #2)
  • The Survival of Thomas Ford
  • Perilous (Perilous, #1)
  • Silent Counsel
  • Closure (Jack Randall #1)
2419708
Scott Pratt was born in South Haven, Michigan, in 1956, and grew up in Jonesborough, Tennessee. He is a veteran of the United States Air Force and earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from East Tennessee State University and a Doctor of Jurisprudence from the University of Tennessee. He lives in Johnson City, Tennessee, with his wife and four dogs.
More about Scott Pratt...

Joe Dillard (5 books)
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard, #2)
  • Injustice For All
  • Reasonable Fear
  • Conflict of Interest (Joe Dillard Series No. 5)
Blood Money Reasonable Fear A Crime of Passion (Joe Dillard Series Book 7) In Good Faith (Joe Dillard, #2) Injustice For All

“on the outskirts of Johnson” 0 likes