The Golden Land

The Golden Land

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  40 reviews
The new novel from Australia's favourite writer and author of bestsellers such as TEARS OF THE MOON and THE OPAL DESERT.
Published November 1st 2012 by Macmillan Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Land

Kathy
With the exception of The Opal Desert, I’m afraid the last few novels from Di Morrissey have not been for me. I adore all her older books though. The Golden Land is just an ok, easy read, and if you like learning about the political difficulties that are faced in Burma, you might enjoy it, but for me I was not gripped by this one. I didn’t connect with any of the characters, and felt at times it was a bit of a slog to keep going. Disappointing…….

Vikki Barker
This was my first Di Morrissey novel. Perhaps I should have read an earlier one instead?
I found the dialogue between the husband and wife (Mark and Natalie) too lovey-dovey and wishy-washy. It was quite fake and annoying really.
Alot of the dialogue was repeated many times during the book.
None of the characters stood out and grabbed my attention. There were a few parts in the story that picked up pace a bit, but then it fell flat again.
Having said all this, I still finished the book, which means...more
Olivia Moore
I hated this novel. I was actually shocked about how badly this was written. I have never read a Di Morrissey book and when it was our next book in bookclub I thought I would put my book snobbery aside and read one of Australia's most famous modern authors. I wish I hadn't. The language was so wooden and lacklusture I skimmed through the last half of the book just so I could start my next novel in my "to read" pile.
Carol
I'm wondering if the editor went on holidays. The text was passive, dialogue used as information dumps and the characters incredibly one dimensional. I know this author is capable of better writing. Were the deadlines too strict? This story had glimpses of brilliance at the start and the end but the middle certainly sagged.
Nadia Lynch
Half way through and finding this text excruciating. It is very slow and the character of Natalie is dull and boring. The conversational elements of the text with other key characters are extremely difficult to read as they just do not seem genuine-like a badly written play. Have given up on this one!
Kellie Hunt
The latest edition to the Di Morrissey collection, I found this novel less engaging than others I have read by her. While the book was easy to read and similar to the journeys Di portrays in most of her books, it didn't captivate me this time around
Catherine Fleming
Disappointing , I have read all of Di's books and thought this particular book was without substance . :(
Suzanne
I don't recall ever reading a Di Morrissey book I didn't like, so I was surprised when almost straight away it didn't click with me. The dialogue between the main character and her husband was terrible, really wooden and extremely forced. This being the case, it made me be a harsher judge of everything else to come. It was good for me to come across a subject I did not know much about as I love learning, but it was told through a dull main character. Most of the dialogue was boring in fact which...more
Bron
I listened to this as an audio book, and was disappointed to listen to a male reader narrating the story of a female's journey. Every time he tried to talk as a female he made her sound whingy, and he made the male sound weasley, and I kept expecting the husband to be a bad person.

Overall, the content was very interesting and well presented, giving us an idea of what life for the Burmese was like, and giving the history of the country, however, I found this book more factual than representative...more
Lisa
The novel was okay, but lacking in several areas. The plot didn't have a huge amount of excitement or tension, apart from *spoiler alert* the premature birth of Andrew. All other plot developments were pretty predictable, unfortunately. Many of the characters were two dimensional, and in particular the dialogue between naive Natalie and husband Mark was wooden. I enjoyed learning about Burma in a more entertaining way than reading a text book, but there were also several issues with the timing o...more
Briony Sheather
The parts of the book that were set in Burma were interesting and insightful. Anything set on the Gold Coast seemed contradictory, like they were written by an amateur author rather than someone with Morrissey's vast experience. This was the first book of hers I have read and will probably be the last.
Sharron Shimbel
Di's books are becoming too formulated. This one is even more annoying with political rants and "speeches". The story line again follows her previously successful formula and I was originally captivtaed by the setting. Unfortunately the historical research was paper thin and didn't inspire me to follow up with further reading on my part.
You can do better Ms Morrissey, decide if your forte is romance, historical romance or something else and work at it.
Disappointing.
Whilst I definitely enjoyed another of Di Morrissey's novels and I enjoyed finding out about Burma and the drama and political difficulties that the country faces, I didn't enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed other Di novels.

Whilst I enjoyed finding out all the information about Burma and their struggles I found that I didn't get to know as much about the characters as I would have liked as the novel had a bit of a lecture feel to it, in regards to Burma.

Mita
White woman decides to learn more about Burma, has a bit of first world domestic problems, everything solved itself, she goes to Burma to return the artifact.

That is basically the story in a nutshell. Add a bit more character and a lot of wiki-style information, and you get the book.

Very underwhelming and I'm kind of sorry this was my first Di Morrissey book because I've heard good stuff about her. Maybe better luck with the next book.
Karen
this book could have been better. I learnt interesting stuff about Burma, but the first half of the novel was all about tell and no show, the dialogue to this point was predictable and boring as. It did take a turn for the better once the main character travel to Burma. The second part of the story came to life, interesting, inclusive and enjoyable, pity it didn't happen from the start.
Lauredhel
I loved The Opal Desert, but for me The Golden Land was less enjoyable. The author's research translated into long, inauthentic speeches in dialogue, instead of emerging organically. I felt that the lecturing got in the way of immersion and characterisation; so I was left knowing more about Burma, but caring little about the main characters.

Not bad, but I wanted more.
Cheryl
An enjoyable read...gave some insights into the Burma situation.
Panda1602
I enjoyed the first few chapters and last few chapters, all of which were based around Burma. I found the rest of the chapters a little gruelling as it was primarily based around the main character, Natalie Cutler, and the ongoings of her life. Whilst this was gruelling for me to read it helps set up the journey to Burma.
Shelley
The best part of this book was the last third when Natalie finally gets to Burma - feels like you are there discovering Burma alongside her. The first two thirds were a struggle to get through - not great writing and unnatural dialogue - trying to pass on too much information.
Bella George
I love the fact that when you read a Di Morrissey book, you will learn something! I loved reading about Burma, along with the story of Natalie and her family. My mother in law is from Burma, so this was particularly interesting for me. This is my favourite of Di's books so far.
Monica
This was my first Di Morrissey book and I loved it! Fascinating story and so wonderfully narrated by David Tredinnick, who really brought to life the story and was a pleasure to listen to. I will miss Natatlie and her family and friends very much.
Colemore
Easy read but not very well written. Feel as though she just chucks stuff together to get another book out!
Julie55
A very simplistic,boring novel.
I hated the ever tedious explaining of the obvious.
Badly written.
The story had potential ,but was excruciatingly dragged out ,with naive and unbelievable talk and directives,.
Give it a miss.
Jan
Thanks to Sharron for giving me this book as a xmas gift, I loved it. Di's ability to describe the country's she writing about in such detail as to make you believe that you are there is amazing.
Jen Ford
Pretentious! I found this boring and preachy. I enjoyed her earlier works but I think the formula is now overworked. I couldn't like any of the characters, came across as too righteous.
Dzintra aka Ingrid
Always interesting to read another of Di's novels.... I always learn something from them and appreciate the research gone into them!
Caroline
Another great read creating a showcase for a culture to appreciate and explore, getting involved in the journey with the characters.
Terri
Another great Di Morrissey novel. Historical fact meshes with good Aussie fiction to produce a novel to keep the reader enthralled.
Mary
I loved the book and the story of Burma was very interesting and well written. Great book as usual
Kelly Higgins
It was ok, but not great. I wouldn't read it again. Not sure if I should try another of Di Morrissey's books
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Di Morrissey (born 18 March 1948 in Wingham, New South Wales) is one of Australia's most popular female novelists. She grew up in the remote surrounds of Pittwater, north of Sydney, Australia.

Growing up she counted famous Australian actor Chips Rafferty as a close mentor and friend who helped provide for her and her mother after the death of her father as a child, sending them overseas to Californ...more
More about Di Morrissey...
Tears of the Moon The Plantation Barra Creek The Reef Monsoon