Start by marking “Die Weisse Rose” as Want to Read:
Die Weisse Rose

Die Weisse Rose

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  478 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The White Rose tells the story of Hans Scholl and Sophie Scholl, who in 1942 led a small underground organization of German students and professors to oppose the atrocities committed by Hitler and the Nazi Party. They named their group the White Rose, and they distributed leaflets denouncing the Nazi regime. Sophie, Hans, and a third student were caught and executed.

Writte...more
Published February 1st 1993 by Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag GmbH (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Die Weisse Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Weisse Rose

Jabari
Apr 02, 2008 Jabari rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, activists
The tender, chilling, beautiful and horrible life, trial and death of a group of mostly young, German dissidents against the Nazi regime. They tried to shake the terrible logic of fascist propaganda and the machinery of fear, with simple flyers sent anonymously through the mail as their monkeywrench. They were so young, yet they knew what they were fighting for: free thought! I believe our country is experiencing a government undergoing a shift towards fascism, with unprecedented power being con...more
Valerie
There are several accounts of the White Rose Movement--what makes this one s[ecial is that it was written by the sister of Hans and Sophie Scholl, who had an inside view into actions, motivations, etc.

In a very real sense The White Rose was not defeated by the murders of Hans and Sophie Scholl--but it will be defeated if people forget. It's important to realize that not all resistance is violent--and that if nonviolent resistance were ineffectual, the Nazis would simply have let the White Rose c...more
Stuart
Very interesting book about a student non-violent resistance movement in Munich, 1942-1943. Two things which I liked in particular. First, the author (sister of the two protagonists) admitted to being swept up in the Hitler Youth movement, along with her siblings and friends. I appreciate the lack of white-washing and the question of whether or not the themes of the Youth would be attractive to *any* youth, as impressionable as they (youth in general) are. I fear that the answer is a resounding...more
i. merey
One of the phenomenons of Nazi Germany was the lack of resistance from the populace. Arguments abound over just how aware the general public was of the atrocities being committed just around the corner, however, even before these started, the noose of censor and terror had been tightening for years.

Concentration camps began as places to store anybody who spoke out against the Nazis-- and they did not have to be Jewish. 'Aryan' pedagogs, students, and anybody who otherwise noted the steadily risi...more
Michael
May 18, 2014 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: German history students, History teachers, anti-fascists
Recommended to Michael by: Jessica Perelman
I feel a bit bad giving this suhc a low rating, because it is a beautiful and inspiring book, but ultimately it's not more than moderately successful, which is probably why it doesn't get used much in teaching any more. It is the story of the handful of University students who opposed Adolf Hitler and the Third Reich in an unequivocal manner, by printing up leaflets calling for the end of the war and distributing them on campus. They were a tiny minority and were rounded up, given show trials, a...more
Sharon Jones
A clear documentary on the activities of a few University Students in Munich during WWII and their attempts at waking up the German people to the fact that Socialism and Hitler were to be suppressed.
I applaud the actions of these students, most of whom were beheaded as a result of their "crimes against the government." They showed courage and conviction. I wonder if I could do what they did for my country. I would like to think that I could. The publication in the book of the actual leaflets s...more
Isabel Hogue
The German resistance to the agenda of the National Socialist German Worker's Party.
Thought-provoking, and sad, reading.
Fadi
I was surprised to know about this group of civil resistants in the Nazi Germany. Few students could have the moral courage to defy a despotic regime like the nazi and put their lives at risk! I was also amazed to the extent of which i found similarity between those courageous German's story and the stories of many of my Syrian countrymen who defied Assad's brutal regime in a peaceful and intellectual way during the first months of our revolution. If this book proves anything, it proves that fre...more
Jim George
This book was written as a tribute to the author's deceased siblings, who as students in Munich stood up against the Nazi's terror machine. These brave students wrote and distributed underground resistance leaflets undermining Hitler's regime. They were caught and sentenced to death, along with numerous co-conspirators. It is rare that a man is prepared to pay with his life for such a minimal achievement as causing cracks in the edifice of the existing order. It took a great deal of strength to...more
Svetlana Karlin
I read this book with a great interest and admiration for the courage of the young German resisters. However, I wish the book would give a more comprehensive idea what it was like to live at the time. The brave acts of the White Rose members are described out of context, which is not surprising.

Inge Scholl said in the afterword that the book was written in 1947 for use in the school for middle to high school students. This explains the lack of more detailed period descriptions since the audienc...more
Kyla
Sophie and Hans Scholl were decapitated in 1943 for handing out leaflets named The White Rose questioning the Nazi party. They were originally supporters of the developing Nazi party until the clear hatred for Jews became apparent, then they began to question, began to resist and they died for it. This is a true story of young people willing to stand up to tyranny and who were aware of the consequences they may face. They are heroes.
The Wall Street Journal writes:
"This is a sad and beautiful bo...more
Mikayla
I suppose this has some significant value due to it being written by Hans and Sophie's sister, but it's not the best book about White Rose. Half of the book is documents (and it's only 150 pages) and most of the facts presented are just Inge's memories. As far as I know, she had nothing to do with the group.
Also, I'm not sure if this was an editing error, but there are pictures printed of the people who made up the core group and Willi's photograph is titled as Christoph, likewise with Christop...more
Shari
I've heard about the ''weibe rose'' ( one of the only truly anti-Fascist resistance movements in Nazi Germany) in Histoy class, and when I started reading this book in German class I was kind of excited to read it. I haven't read a lot of books about the World War II, mostly because I find the first World War more interesting. Fascinating story, though I wish the book would say more of what it was like to live at the time. Too bad it was kind of rushed towards the end, and it was very short.
Kristen
Good story about a brother and sister in Nazi Germany that began a resistance movement through pamphlets and newsletters while studying in college. Although both of them and six other members of The White Rose Movement were put to death, the courage and incredible measures they went to educate and fight against what they knew was wrong was simply amazing. There is also an English translation of the book available. Loved it so much I read it senior year of high school and college.
Bill Gunn
This book is a wonder and a warning!
Could have done without the introduction by Solle. She compared Reagan to Hitler and lamented the looming apocalypse being ushered in by the United States. She failed to acknowledge the oppression by the communist regime of the Soviet Union and the tens of millions of Russians murdered by Lenin and Stalin. She failed to mention the oppression of the German people's at the hands of the Soviet Union.
The book itself is wonderful!
Lauren Hopkins
Great book written by the sister of Hans and Sophie Scholl but it feels a little rushed at times...and very short. I felt Frank McDonough's book about Sophie covered more about White Rose than this book did. This one is half story, half documents...which in a way is good because there's nothing like seeing the original fliers as well as all of the court transcripts from the White Rose trials...but a little more personal background info would have been nice.
Becks
A true story of an underground student resistance in Germany during the height of Hitler. They boldly risked their lives by publishing and distributing their publication (the White Rose) on college campuses. They were brilliant writers and passionate about taking action for justice, instead of waiting for the problem to simply go away---like so many others were doing at that time. It eventually cost them their lives, but helped fuel the resistance in Germany.
Laurien
Read this for German class. It's pretty interesting and confronting because of the subject, so it was a good book to read for my literatur list.
It's worth reading once if you're interested in the Second World War, but I wouldn't read it again.
Estelle
L'histoire de Sophie et Hans Scholl racontée par leur soeur: étudiants allemands et résistants du mouvement de la Rose blanche, ils furent arrêtés au printemps 1943 à Munich alors qu'ils distribuaient des tracts à l'université.
Les textes des tracts sont reproduits en fin d'ouvrage.
Un petit livre qui se lit rapidement et vaut le détour pour comprendre une fois pour toutes que tous les allemands n'étaient pas alors dans le camp des "méchants".
Suzy
Germans of the time say they did not know what was happening, but somehow these university students, members of an organization that called itself the White Rose, KNEW. And they were beheaded for trying to incite a glimmer of resistance. Their leaflets, reproduced in full in this book, are nothing short of prophetic. The Germans didn't know? One can no longer believe that after reading this book.
Heath Schultz
includes a compelling narrative of the groups core members, hans and sophie scholl, written by their surviving brother ignes scholl. The book also include the the all of the completed leaflets which are startling and chilling to read, and in many cases uncomfortably relevant to today.
Cheryl
A heart-breaking story of resistance to evil. Sophie Scholl, her brother and a few friends, formed a group called The White Rose, symbolizing their determination to resist peacefully the Nazi's reign of terror.
Moriabyrne
About the White Rose movement,one of the only truly anti-Fascist resistance movements in Nazi Germany. Fascinating story. I started it before I left for the Philippines and picked it up again recently.
Kate
This is one book that I read every few years ~ ever since seeing a Michael Verhoeven movie in the early 1980s about the White Rose. Well worth reading.
Rese
Touching book of really putting your neck on the line for a cause. I like to think I would have the same courage these students had.
Nina Chatterjee
This was a book I had to study for my German degree and we watched the movie as well. A good book.
Tracy
Not bad! I like hearing true words of people that lived through this horrible time!
Jeff
A young German girl and her friends challenge the Nazis and win through their deaths.
B
we have the movie, so I thought I should read the book.
Jan