Start by marking “The Ice Marathon” as Want to Read:
The Ice Marathon

The Ice Marathon

A one night stand.
A gross betrayal.
Every mother’s worst nightmare.

When Simon and Emma first meet, they find each other intolerable and are stunned when an angry row turns into sex.

The resultant pregnancy shocks them further. However, only days after giving birth, Emma falls critically ill. With Simon on an Antarctic expedition, Emma entrusts baby Joseph to her ‘in-laws’. O
Published November 29th 2012 by Rosen Trevithick

To ask other readers questions about The Ice Marathon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ice Marathon

Damien Nash
Dec 30, 2012 Damien Nash rated it it was amazing
This is not my first review of a work by Rosen Trevithick, and I doubt it will be my last either. Having read Seesaw and Pompomberry House, I looked forward to reading The Ice Marathon and I will say right now that I wasn't disappointed!

Firstly, I have to say that her writing is improving a lot- not that it was in any way bad to begin with, because Rosen is definitely a rising talent amongst Indie authors. The Ice Marathon is definitely her best work yet. The story is involving, the plot well pa
Kath Middleton
Dec 11, 2012 Kath Middleton rated it it was amazing
This is the story of Emma, a young woman of 30-ish, who suffers from bi-polar disorder but who manages it with medication. She is set up with a date by her flatmate and the two of them don’t get on. The evening (or early next morning) ends with a brutal but mutual sex act which results in her pregnancy. To save the baby from harm, Emma has to give up her lithium which keeps the disorder at bay. Emma and Simon get together again in an off and on way and I really found I wanted to know what happen ...more
B J Burton
Dec 09, 2012 B J Burton rated it it was amazing
None of my family has ever suffered from depressive mental illness, so I have no personal experience of coping with the effects. I have watched various television programmes and read celebrity accounts describing the alternating bouts of depression and hyperactivity, but I have never felt that I had any real understanding.
This extraordinary book has changed that.
Emma is an intelligent, funny, caring, raunchy young woman with just one problem – bipolar disorder. She has learned from bitter exper
Maria
Mar 22, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing
Working for Shelter and living with a friend are about the only things that Emma lives for. Her personal life is riddled with mood swings, caused by her bi-polar disability. When a late night rendezvous with a man she despises results in pregnancy, Emma has a lot more to consider than just getting through the day.

Emma's personality really shines and matures throughout the novel as she accepts the responsibility of her pregnancy. Formerly a strong advocate for a woman's right to choose, Emma can'
Esme
Mar 31, 2013 Esme rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
Gefunden habe ich The Ice Marathon bei der Kriminalliteratur und auch die Inhaltsangabe läßt auf einen Psychothriller schließen: Der schlimmste Alptraum einer Mutter. Damit beginnt der Roman, im Prolog erwartet die Ich-Erzählerin die Rückkehr ihres wenige Tage alten Sohnes und erlebt eine grauenhafte Enttäuschung. Danach folgt die Vorgeschichte, die schließlich zu diesen Ereignissen führen soll.

Die rothaarige Emma und Simon können sich auf den ersten Blick nicht ausstehen. Das Dinner mit Freunde
Elaine
May 25, 2014 Elaine rated it it was amazing
This is an extremely well written sinister tale that stayed with me after I finished reading it and had me pondering in the middle of the night, wondering whether it "really could happen like that". It is a very quick read, with the story moving on at a very good pace and by the time the main events unfold the author puts you right inside the head of Emma, a new mother, and you are with her every step of the way, sharing her fears, anguish and paranoia over who she can and cannot trust. It is ex ...more
David Wailing
Apr 14, 2013 David Wailing rated it really liked it
The Ice Marathon is another high-quality read from Rosen Trevithick. It's a tense tale of unexpected motherhood and the even more unexpected nightmare that every parent in the world gets chills even thinking about.

Right from the beginning, narrator Emma is a lively and immediate character, drawing us into her life with ease. Crucially, she doesn't always come across as likeable, which raises questions about her behaviour and what might be causing it. But at all times she is three-dimensional and
Claire
Dec 04, 2013 Claire rated it really liked it
From the outset, main character Emma was endearing, and the supporting characters well written and interesting. The dinner party really showed everyone's personality well, so I felt as if I got to know all the characters much better. The ensuing scene in the kitchen was laugh-out-loud funny and cringe-worthy all at the same time, not to mention the aftermath and then Emma and Simon's reunion.
I did not have a clue that the pregnancy was coming, so that was a real shock to me, but the whole durat
L.K. Jay
Dec 29, 2012 L.K. Jay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit, thriller
I really must have words with Ms Trevithick about this - I keep starting her stories, with the intention of reading a few pages before I must do something else, such as sleeping, eating or work, and then finding I can't put the damn story down.

This is another page turner from Rosen. The characterization is spot on, the pace is perfect and she is the mistress of suspense. I honestly didn't know what was going to happen until I reached it's conclusion. I really liked the insight into Emma's mental
Jud (Disney Diva)
Dec 17, 2012 Jud (Disney Diva) rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic story, if a little clichéd.

Emma's flat mate likes to try and set Emma up with friends of hers and her boyfriend, she just wants Emma to be as happy as she is (and get a little sex to boot). However, she doesn't seem to know what kind of guy Emma actually likes. The latest blind date is nothing short of a disaster, with repercussions that will last long after that one evening.

This is a story with real passion behind it, I was able to relate to Emma right from the beginning and
Joan
I picked this up purely on the blurbs mention of 'Antarctic expedition' but what I thought was a serious Antarctic 'expedition' ( hopefully with a dramatic account of what happens to Simon) turns out to be an expensive (full registration fee $13,000..??) jaunt with full support. Not something I was expecting.

The actual story is in first person which always my heart sink for some reason. I struggled throughout the whole thing. And no, not because I don't understand mental illness, but because th
Julie Powell
Oct 28, 2015 Julie Powell rated it it was amazing
I do like this author's writing style and sense of humour; and although this story deals with serious issues such as mental illness, the wonderful collection of words make for an entertaining read.

There are many levels to this story, but I don't give spoilers, so can only say that this one is a clever mix of romance, illness, various levels of relationships and love, together with mystery and suspense.

Recommended.
Elaine
This novel starts off with an explicit rough sex scene. And then much to her chagrin, Emma discovers she's pregnant from a guy she didn't like in the first place.

Other than that bit of vulgarity, with a bit of mystery, the book was pretty good.

Sometimes in life things happen that have you questioning the people you thought you knew. Such is the case with Emma.
Shaun
Feb 05, 2013 Shaun rated it really liked it
A well written story that addresses bipolar disorder in a realistic way. Well defined characters and a flowing narrative that switches between comic and poignant as we follow Emma and her unplanned pregnancy, and how her condition affects her situation.
Gemma
May 26, 2013 Gemma rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book and could not put it down. I know it's just a 'novella' but it was too short - I was really drawn into Emma's world and dealing with her bipolar disorder, but I was disappointed with the ending.
Andrew Lawston
Dec 05, 2012 Andrew Lawston rated it it was amazing
Not really my sort of thing, it must be said, but a rollicking good read nonetheless. Actually finished this ages ago so the date is very approximate, I've got very lazy about keeping this up to date. Forgive me, books :(
Richard A. Wolfenden
Ice or Fire?

This is, indeed, an unique book. I didn't like the storyline to begin with, but I stuck with the book. The ending was great, and made the book a winner in my opinion.

Rosen Trevithick
Oct 24, 2012 Rosen Trevithick rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: written
I wrote this. I've decided to give it five stars even though writing it made me cry, because let's face it - if a writer doesn't think her book is worth five stars, she shouldn't publish it.
Dylan Edwards
Jan 09, 2013 Dylan Edwards rated it liked it
Just wished this had not ended so quickly ....You are drawn to Emma's plight but the end left me feeling short-changed
Emeline Pico
Emeline Pico rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Denise Ward
Denise Ward rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2014
LIZ
LIZ rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Philip (sarah) Willis
Philip (sarah) Willis rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2012
Carly
Carly rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2013
Randomwalker
Randomwalker rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Tim
Tim rated it it was ok
Aug 04, 2013
Jasbinder Kaur
Jasbinder Kaur rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2014
Natasha
Natasha rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2013
Tonia
Tonia rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Bargain Basement: The Ice Marathon - Free 3rd to 7th March 2013 1 20 Mar 04, 2013 04:19AM
  • Knowing Me Knowing You
  • What Happened To Polly
  • The Threat
  • Read Me Dead
  • Forever Is Over
  • From Man to Man (Wroge Elements, #0.5)
  • The Dating intervention
  • Flings and Arrows
  • A Lighter Shade of Gray
  • All Fall Down
  • One Snowy Night Before Christmas
  • Diary of a Mummy Misfit
  • A Killing in Kensington (Patrick Shea Mystery, #2)
Rosen is a British bestselling author, who writes fiction for children and adults.

She was born in Cornwall and grew up on Restronguet Creek. She studied Experimental Psychology at St Catherine's College, Oxford, before moving back to the West Country. She now lives on the south coast of Devon with two imaginary cats, fantasising about getting a real one.

In 2011 Rosen was an aspiring author. Writin
More about Rosen Trevithick...