Start by marking “The Toil and Trouble Trilogy: Book One” as Want to Read:
The Toil and Trouble Trilogy: Book One

The Toil and Trouble Trilogy: Book One (The Toil and Trouble Trilogy #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Loyalty. Family. Trust.

Olivia Calabrese has valued nothing more strongly since her mob boss father was arrested and her mother was killed in the cross fire. Even though her family sells illegal magical charms that have the nasty side effect of turning some wearers into berserkers—rage-filled monsters—she sees betrayal as a far worse offense than harming people. To prove he
Published October 11th 2011 by Smashwords (first published October 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Toil and Trouble Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Toil and Trouble Trilogy

Lisa MH
Toil and Trouble, Book One is a fast paced and fun read. I don't normally like present tense, but V. J. Chambers handles it perfectly. The narration is engaging and the main character is intriguing without being unbelievable. Olivia acts like a young woman trying to learn her place in the world. She is not instantly kick-butt (like so many Urban Fantasy heroines) but she is believably tough and handles herself well. She also has an everyday life, outside the paranormal, which is something else m ...more
Tara
I really liked this book. I'm thinking maybe the Berzerkers remind me of The Walking Dead, and I'm a fan of that show. The main character Olivia Calabrese is a strong female. Wow, this author can pen some root worthy females. Olivia's father is a mob boss. And, I've always loved mob type stories and movies. So, I definitely enjoyed that aspect of the book. The storyline is different for me with the magical charms. Yet, I found myself fascinated with that, thanks to the detail the author uses to ...more
audrey
Olivia Calabrese values family and loyalty above everything else. Olivia has already made her first kill on behalf of the family, a gesture to show she's serious about taking part in the family business. The Calabrese family is renown for selling magically imbued charms outlawed for their tendency to turn their users into animalistic berserkers. Olivia is determined to become head of the family business but learning the source of their magical power has her questioning everything she ever knew.

T
MsBDiamondDiva1
Olivia has worked hard to prove herself to her father and her family; family is number one follow close by loyalty. All her “so called” values will be put to the ultimate test when Olivia starts to uncover just how her mother died and why her father is actually locked up. And least not forget that Olivia has made her first kill, she has taken out the abusive boyfriend that killed her cousin.

This book had me wanting more but the editing was not good. I reread several parts to get a clear compreh
Cathleen
I have always been a big fan of the paranormal genre and especially witchery and magic. I picked up this book on a whim and was not disappointed. I normally do not read "zombie" type books, but I did read and enjoy this one.

I will admit to having a hard time getting into this story, probably because I am predisposed to an aversion to zombies, once I got into the story I found myself enjoying the read.

There were times when I felt that the main character Olivia seemed very immature and should have
Alysa H.
I unfortunately could not get into this at all.
Terri Christie
Olivia Calabrese is another one of Chamber's strong female leads and she takes it to a whole new level. Head of a Mob family, in charge of the family business while her father is in jail.. all while being in high school? And with a boyfriend who has been effected by magic and changes every night? Take that Wonder woman, I would like to see you handle this shit!!
Melissa
Ok so I admit, I was hooked from the first chapter. Characters were well developed and I loved the different use of magic than other books I have read. I liked the romance development between Olivia and Brice and I can't wait to read the next book to see what happens to them.
Prismseven
This story was ok, i will read the next one in hopes that the story line becomes more exciting.
Vykki
This was a interesting book with some great twist. It was a good read.
Makayla
Very good book, need to right another one.
Adriana
Oct 29, 2012 Adriana marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon, i-own-free, e-book
Free 10/29/12 at Amazon
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Heather Esterak
Heather Esterak marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Paige Travis
Paige Travis marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Lelouch
Lelouch marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Kat Smith
Kat Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Jenjones84
Jenjones84 marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
LizzieB
LizzieB marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
  • Cursed by Darkness (Befallen Tides, #1)
  • Ghostly Guardian (The Demon Isle Witches, #1)
  • Alone (Vampires and the Life of Erin Rose, #1)
  • The Grave Artist
  • Legion of Bats
  • The Doctor
  • Lover's Betrayal (Misfits of the Lore, #1)
  • Give Me (Wyrd and Fae #1)
  • Dark Spells: Four Books
  • Set in Stone
  • The House on Blackstone Moor (The Blackstone Vampires Series, #1)
  • Wings of Shadow (Underground, #1)
  • Blood Awakening (Blood Burden, #0.5)
  • Death Whispers (The Death Series, #1)
  • Runaway Choices - A Christian Speculative Fiction Novel
  • Rest For The Wicked (Claire Wiche Chronicles #1)
  • Nightworld
  • My Soul to Keep (Rise of the Fallen, #1)
V. J. Chambers writes about being inexplicably attracted to the dangerously alluring. Her works span mundane settings and fantastic ones. She writes about serial killers, cult leaders, werewolves, witches, for-hire assassins, zombies, space pirates, and regular everyday people.

She lives in Shepherdstown, WV, with her boyfriend Aaron and their cat Isis.

More about V.J. Chambers...

The Toil and Trouble Trilogy (4 books)
  • The Toil and Trouble Trilogy: Book Two
  • The Toil and Trouble Trilogy: Book Three
  • The Toil and Trouble Trilogy, Omnibus
Breathless (Jason and Azazel, #1) Slow Burn (Assassins, #1) Trembling (Jason and Azazel, #2) Tortured (Jason and Azazel, #3) The Killing Moon (Cole & Dana, #1)