Start by marking “The Christmas Bake-Off” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Bake-Off

The Christmas Bake-Off

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  840 ratings  ·  145 reviews
With Christmas just around the corner, the residents of Skipley village are gearing up for the annual bake off, and tensions are high.

Winning means a lot to everyone involved - talented cake-shop owner Katie dreams of baking stardom, Rachel wants to prove she's more than a stay-at-home mum, and John hopes his culinary skills will impress the woman he loves.

But when the j
Published November 20th 2012 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Bake-Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Bake-Off

Meghan
This was a really cute little Christmas story with goodies, competition, family, friendship, and a little bit of romance thrown in. I liked the characters - my favorite being John. The winning recipe is included at the end of the book and they sound delicious so I'm going to have to give them a try this month.

If you're looking for a quick Christmas read to help get you in the holiday spirit, this is a good one to try.
Veronica
At 25 pages this was a short, sweet novella about a quaint village bake-off. I would have liked the characters more fleshed out and the sabotage a bit more dramatic.
Lance Greenfield
How much can you put into a story about an annual village Christmas cake baking competition which is to be judged by a top celebrity chef? Well, quite a lot actually. More than you would think.

If gambling were involved, the bookies would stop taking bets on Kate, the owner of the village cake shop. She is, after all, a professional. But then they wouldn't be expecting sabotage, local relationships, the experienced granny's sympathy for an entrant who appears to have no hope at all, and a few emo
Jules (Never enough time to read)
I quite enjoyed Abby Clements very short story, but I suspect only because the character's where familiar after not long finishing meet me under the Mistletoe.

Good, but very short and doesn't have a lot of substance.

The story is about some of the villagers of Skipley, who are entering in the village's annual Christmas bake off. Unfortunately disaster strikes when the judges discover sabotage among some of the entries. Who is responsible? And why would anyone in the village do that?

Obviously the story is very short - only three chapters, but from the very first page it felt like i was a part of the village of Skipley. It was well written, interesting and had a great twist. I was very impressed with the autho
Theta Sigma
Written by the author as a partnering story to her release, Meet Me Under The Mistletoe, this book features one of the lead characters of that book along with a small additional cast.

Set in a bake off competition which is to be judged by a noted celebrity baker (Do I see similarities to programmes like The Great British Bake Off?), the story starts at the competition itself leading up to an act of sabotage. The story then tracks back to the run up to the competition as the reader follows the fou
Suzie Tullett
I loved The Christmas Bake Off. From its idyllic setting in the Yorkshire Dales to the likeable characters taking part in the competition, Abbey Clements gives us the perfect coffee break short story. With a dusting of snow, a sprinkling of romance and an array of sweet treats (including the winning recipe), this one comes highly recommended.
Angie Rhodes
A nice easy read, lots of humour, and fun, loved the simple tale. and a dash of romance, perfect,
Samantha (ColdTeaAndCrumbs)
A cute Christmas read with cute characters developed in such a short story.
Suzanne
In Skipley village the annual bake off is a huge event. Everyone in the village is excited as a television star is one of the judges. He's looking for new talent for his show. Katie's bakery could use some more customers and a little bit of extra attention and her friend Rachel wants to prove that she's good at something, she's given it her all. John has entered to show the woman he's in love with that he has some hidden talents. Unfortunately things aren't going according to plan when the jury ...more
Christina (Christina's Book Corner)
Kimberly
A Short and sweet Christmas story about people living in a small tight knit town.

A very short and sweet Christmas story. It's about a Christmas baking contest in a small town, just like the title says, with a little love and drama mixed it to keep it interesting. These are the kind of people and activities that make a place like this very welcoming. At least for Most people as you'll see. No real love story and not a tear jerker or anything like that.
It is basically a sweet story and it is at
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 20/11/2012
Author: Abby Clements
Recommended for: fan's for novella's, sweet books
Edition: Kindle

I thought that this book was a really sweet book to read I thoroughly enjoyed it :) a lovely short story to read. This is a really great seasonal book to read when you need a little 'pick me up', this is a sweet christmas story with the added bonus of recipes to try, it is a good story to help get you into the christmas spirit.
Mandi Smith
This book was a short story, only a couple of chapters but it was a lovely read. It actually made me feel a bit christmassy!!! Well worth a read especially if you want to read something quick as doesn't take long to get through it. Even though it is a short story you do engage with the characters which I found surprising but pleased about. Overall a cute story.
Slawka Scarso
Dec 16, 2012 Slawka Scarso rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christmas addicts
Shelves: ebook, fiction
A light read to distract you on a holiday night or a break between baking one batch of ginger bread men and the other.
This short story was available for free download from Amazon. If you enjoy it check out also Meet me under the mistletoe, another short story by Abby Clements.
Dawn
Having previously read Meet Me Under The Mistletoe I knew I'd like this book. Pre-Christmas is a mad time both at work and at home so short stories just hit the spot when I had only 20 mins or so for a sit down and a cup of coffee and this book has all the right ingredients for a lovely feel good break.

Abby descriptions of the entrants to the 'bake-off' competition are very fantastic. In such a short book I could clearly visualise both the people and the settings. Anyone who has ever lived in a
Alexandra
This was short and sweet. But I didn't really like the story. Not much happened. I wish I had more to say about it.
Jo
Well that was a short story, OK nothing amazing!!
Lizzie
This was extremely short, but a really nice read. It seems as if it could be a chapter edited out of 'Meet Me Under The Mistletoe', but that is no problem. It was nice to see the characters again (as I have already read Meet Me Under The Mistletoe).

Even though it's only October, reading this has got me definitely looking forward to Christmas.
"The air was rich with the aromas of Christmas - ginger, spices and cinnamon blending with pine from the fairylit tree."
I cannot wait :)
Maureen Reil
This was a short, cute read about a small quaint little village up north, who are holding their annual Christmas bake-off competition and a few of the residents in particular are keenly interested in winning the title for very different reasons. It is mainly being judged by a big celebrity of the baking world and with an entry from last year's winner (who is a professional baker by trade) for she is the odds-on favorite to take the prize yet again this year. But that foregone conclusion is firml ...more
Leah
In my quest to read all of my Christmas short story e-books, I’m swallowing them quicker than I swallow the newest episode of The Big Bang Theory. I’ve read Katie Fforde’s, Eleanor Moran’s and now, I’ve read Abby Clements’ festive offering, and it’s the best yet! I haven’t (yet) read Abby’s debut novel Meet Me Under The Mistletoe, but if The Christmas Bake-Off is anything to go by, I will be reading it sharpish.

The Christmas Bake-Off is by far one of the best short stories I’ve ever read. I love
Shaz Goodwin
We start our window into Skipley village life on Saturday 23rd December at 4.15pm. The tasting begins at the bake-off when the discovery of sabotage silences everyone in the village hall.

Then we look backwards to the previous evening, spending time with Katie (the owner of the bakery), Rachel, Bea and John as they prepare their tasty treats. We discover their reasons for entering (not all competitive!).

Back at the village hall on Saturday 23rd, everything comes together, including the start of a
Erin
When I saw this Christmas short story I was intrigued. I’m a huge fan of baking and Christmas so it seemed a perfect read for me! I am also really enjoying the current series of The Great British Bake Off which is on just now when I’m writing this review.

The story follows the Skipley villagers as they all prepare for the arrival of the eagerly anticipated special guest judge and the annual bake off. Tensions are as high as the temperatures on the bakers oven as each baker has something to prove
Samantha
I had this on my kindle and had not read it, however after finishing Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop I decided to give it a go.

This is a short story, but the story line was quite good. It is based in a village and every year the villagers enter a baking completion. There are many characters in the story, they are all linked in one way or another.

This year there is a famous judge on the panel and one of the competitors in particular wants to win, Katie she owns her own shop and wants to work al
Pragya
Read more reviews at Reviewing Shelf.

Yet another book I came across to read during Ho-Ho-Ho Read-A-Thon. This one was little as well but did have a story (finally!).

Wait, did you take a good look at the cover? Isn’t it beautiful? I think it’s absolutely gorgeous. I love it! It makes me get into the Christmas mode already. Ahh, glad that Christmas is almost here. Can’t wait.

I love books that involve food and if it’s baking, then it’s a double wow. Oh wait, did I tell you there are recipes in here
Mary Aris
The Christmas Bake-Off is a short holiday story about a baking competition in a little English village. Bake shop owner, Katie, is hoping she'll win this year's competition,thus making her name in the baking world known; while Rachel wants to prove she is more than a home cook. She tries to impress the judges with her gingerbread house. There's even a little romance brewing between John the Baker and Katie. Who will the winner be in this sweet but short holiday Bake-off? I guess you'll just have ...more
Andrew
Review Taken From The Pewter Wolf

In the small town of Skipley village, Christmas is round the corner. And this means one thing: the Christmas Bake Off! And the whole village is involved... Kate enters the Bake Off as she dreams of baking stardom. Rachel enters to prove that she's more than a stay-at-home mum. John enters to impress the woman he loves. Bea enters just because she enters cooking.

So, when sabotage is discovered, everyone wonders who would go that far?

This is a really fast Christmas
aMeLiE
I thought that this book was AMAZINGGG!It was so interesting,as i turned the first page i immediately got hooked in. The famtastic tales of how people were rated and how good they were at cooking/baking foods and desserts were so fascinating and i literally could not put my kindle down,i eventually finished the book after reading it for around two to two and a half hours, as i thoroughly enjoyed it, i even got my mum, sisters and my grandma to read it and they all said the same!!! Me and my gran ...more
Laurel
The Skipley WI is having a Christmas bake off, with a TV celebrity as one of the judges. When two cakes are found to be sabotaged, the bake-off takes an interesting turn.

The story doesn't really follow a logical progression, but it all ties up in the end. Really just scenes that build up to the final picture. Clements's writing is easy to read, and the story is simple; a quick read that'll last about half a cup of tea.
James Moir
Twenty five pages for a short story that felt like fifteen. Not enough to go into any character or the plot in depth. If it had been any longer I would have given up instead I am left wondering "what was the point?"

Not a prequel to a novel; not a story making a point; not a parable; not a feel good factor.

Don't waste any time reading it!
  • Winter Warmers
  • The Perfect Treat: Heart-warming Short Stories for Winter Nights
  • Santa Maybe
  • Mistletoe in Manhattan
  • Christmas at the Crescent
  • A Merry Little Christmas
  • The Perfect Christmas
  • The Parisian Christmas Bake Off
  • Loveable Christmas Angel (Angels with Attitude, #3)
  • Winter Wonderland
  • A Vintage Christmas
  • Home for Christmas
  • A Grosvenor Square Christmas
  • Kiss Me Under the Mistletoe
Abby Clements worked in book publishing before writing this, her first novel. Her Christmas baking skills are upper-intermediate. Her countryside-survival skills are basic to none. She lives with her boyfriend in North London.
More about Abby Clements...
Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop Meet Me Under the Mistletoe Amelia Grey's Fireside Dream The Heavenly Italian Ice Cream Shop Amelia Grey's Fireside Dreams