Start by marking “Days That Changed the World (The 50 Defining Events of World History)” as Want to Read:
Days That Changed the World (The 50 Defining Events of World History)

Days That Changed the World (The 50 Defining Events of World History)

3.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Days that changed the world

Covering nearly 2500 years, from 28 September 480 BC to 11 September 2001. Days that changed the world tells the stories of 50 days that truly made history.

Included amongst these momentous turning points are the assassination of Julius Caesar, the Crucifixion, The first Crusade, Colombus making landfall in the Americas, Cook's Endeavour departing
208 pages
Published 2006 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about Days That Changed the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Days That Changed the World

Tony
Aug 10, 2012 Tony rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
FIFTY DAYS THAT CHANGED THE WORLD. (2008). Hywel Williams. ****.
This edition from The Folio Society was originally published in 2006 under the title, “Days That Changed the World: The 50 Defining Events of World History.” The only changes in this current edition is the addition of an introduction by the author, and the inclusion of illustrations for each day. Most of us can think of defining moments in history. Many of our choices will be picked from our lifetimes, for obvious reasons. When we
John Geddie
Jul 14, 2008 John Geddie rated it liked it
This was my "Coffee Break" book when I had 5 minutes free here and there. It's broken down into a series of short essays of the "50 Defining Events of World History." You probably don't reach the level of detail necessary for most of the events, but it is a nice refresher especially for those events you are unfamiliar with. For more common-education events, the author really does do a very good job analyzing long term effects. Each event had at least one perspective I'd never thought of.
Jonty Davies
Aug 17, 2015 Jonty Davies rated it really liked it
I would recommend this book to people who don't want to commit to reading a whole book front to back. This book is broken into 50 stories consisting of nothing but the facts of what happened at these events. I enjoyed it thoroughly since the writing style is short and to the point. The author provides detail on the background information and reasoning for the events without going unnecessarily deep. I recommend this for anyone who likes to read historical books without wanting to read an entire ...more
Tom
Dec 12, 2011 Tom rated it it was ok
The writing is pretty dry and no real rationale is given as to why the given events were chosen over other, similarly influential, events. It also seemed like a three page essay was far too short to do justice for almost any of these historical events.
Jun 30, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic book which shows 50 different events which have shaped history. The author describes the event and then provides the background to what lead up to the event and the impact the event had on shaping the world as we know it today.
Bryan Pearce
Jul 31, 2011 Bryan Pearce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
While interesting, I have found the book hard going so far. I think the text maybe should be more simplified so it can be understood better. Also it should be made more clear as to how that particular day defined history.
Ian Major
Jan 18, 2016 Ian Major rated it really liked it
Excellent read. Just enough (about seven pages each)to give one an appreciation of how important the event was, without being bogged-down with detail. Very helpful comments on these great events.
MsEleanorMae
Great little breakdown of so many important events in world history. Would read again (just gets you thinking) and makes me want to read more.
Daan
Aug 15, 2012 Daan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, history
Interesting read. However, it would have been even more interesting if it had been a little less analytic and a bit more descriptive.
Ray
Jul 21, 2012 Ray rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compact and interesting package of world history, but the narrative was sometimes a bit confusing.
Janice Hall-gibson
I really enjoyed reading this book. It gives a personal account of History.
Jeremy Poh
Quite difficult to read if you don't have a strong history background.
Dave Kenyon
May 07, 2013 Dave Kenyon rated it liked it
Very interesting subject matter.
Not an easy, free-flowing read unfortunately.
Ravi Jain
Mar 08, 2013 Ravi Jain rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Full of West European and American History. Boring read.
Roos
Jul 30, 2007 Roos rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: friends
Good Book, for enrich our knowledge!
Rod
interesting chronology
David
Jun 16, 2011 David rated it it was ok
Shelves: cleanskin
audio book
Chris Espinosa
Chris Espinosa is currently reading it
May 21, 2016
Azigna
Azigna is currently reading it
May 15, 2016
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
William Lennox
William Lennox rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Sujata Roy
Sujata Roy marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Saravana
Saravana rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Eva Ulland
Eva Ulland rated it liked it
May 05, 2016
Siti
Siti marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Marcus Lukusa
Marcus Lukusa is currently reading it
Apr 12, 2016
Matt B
Matt B marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016