Start by marking “Home Grown Kids” as Want to Read:
Home Grown Kids

Home Grown Kids

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Raymond and Dorothy Moore have prepared this influential book to show how, by using the everyday resources and experiences of your own home environment, you can truly enjoy your child and give him or her a wholesome, first-class education that neither stifles creativity nor hampers character development. Book Specs

Paper Back
Publisher: Moore Foundation, The
Printed: 1981
Pag

Paperback
Published November 1st 1984 by W Pub Group

To ask other readers questions about Home Grown Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Grown Kids

Shannon Smith
Mar 20, 2013 Shannon Smith rated it really liked it
I just finished this book, and I really enjoyed it. The author writes in a very grandfatherly way. He has strong convictions about the way to parent, and what's best for kids -- but he never insults or patronizes as so often seems to be the case in this sub-genre.

The gist of this book is to encourage parents that the best possible environment for young children to thrive in is a loving, purposeful home. The authors suggest postponing formal schooling until far later than we are used to on the b
Kate Hyde
Jul 14, 2009 Kate Hyde rated it liked it
I really liked this book, but it was hard to read all at once. The chapters are divided up by age, and naturally I was most interested in the chapter corresponding to my daughter's current age. But I am definitely going to hang on to this book and refer back to it as she gets older. The book did seem dated, which makes sense since it was published in 1981. I really like the suggestion to read your child stories about REAL LIFE, rather than fairy tales. That alone makes it seem like it would help ...more
Audrey Jenkins
Feb 28, 2016 Audrey Jenkins rated it it was amazing
A rich classic! I'm very fond of Raymond and Dorothy Moore. I read a library copy when my oldest was four-years-old and became a hands-on expert as parent and educator.
Lori
Jan 06, 2009 Lori rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any parent
Recommended to Lori by: Sally
This is an excellent parenting book that shows the necessity for creating a "learning environment" in the home. I do not agree with all of their points, but found this to be one of the most influential books on parenting that I ever read.
Eve
Mar 02, 2010 Eve rated it liked it
Shelves: homeschooling
I am enjoying some of this book. The chapters on raising infants I did not agree with, but I do like and agree with the "better late than early" approach they take as regarding academics (reading, writing, etc) and young children.
Christy
Mar 29, 2012 Christy rated it liked it
Good reminder as to why my husband & I waited 'til the kids were a little older to start "schooling at home". Geez, give kids some time to be kids before we start cramming their sweet little heads with book knowledge!
Jaymie Starr
Jan 31, 2011 Jaymie Starr rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
I read this a long time ago when we first started having children and appreciated the emphasis on discipling & training children in love & with consistency. Also very influential on us in homeschooling.
Theresa
Oct 20, 2009 Theresa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All parents
This was one of the first books I read on teaching at home. It really inspired me on wanting to homeschool my children. It is a book that should be read by every parent - homeschooling or not.
Katie
Jan 11, 2016 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: read-15
Interesting. Walks through the developmental stages and appropriate activities with children of each age. Proposes arguments for delaying school until 8-10 years of age.
Karen L.
Mar 04, 2008 Karen L. rated it it was amazing
This was the first book that I read about home schooling. They are pioneers of the movement in America. It was an enjoyable and inspiring read.
Aimee Dhondt
Feb 22, 2009 Aimee Dhondt rated it it was ok
good basic resource for homeschoolers
Dwight Tompkins
Dwight Tompkins rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Michelle Walton
Michelle Walton rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Emmanuel Baptist
Emmanuel Baptist marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Mariama
Mariama rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Billie
Billie rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
Christine Vassar
Christine Vassar marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Sooy10
Sooy10 added it
Jun 20, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Brittanny
Brittanny marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Lori
Lori rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
KarenAnn Campbell
KarenAnn Campbell marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Heather Pope
Heather Pope marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • For the Children's Sake
  • WAY THEY LEARN, THE
  • Teaching the Trivium: Christian Homeschooling in a Classical Style
  • Beyond Survival Guide to Abundant-Life Homeschooling
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • Life Skills for Kids: Equipping Your Child for the Real World
  • The Three R's
  • Learning All The Time
  • The Way Home: Beyond Feminism, Back to Reality
  • Charlotte Mason Companion
  • Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit
  • The Call to Brilliance: A True Story to Inspire Parents and Educators
  • A Thomas Jefferson Education Home Companion
  • What Your Fifth Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Fifth-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
  • The Underground History of American Education: An Intimate Investigation Into the Prison of Modern Schooling
  • Classical Education and the Homeschool
  • The Homeschooling Handbook
  • The Treasure Tree
581991
Dr. Raymond S. Moore, author of Better Late than Early, the book that launched the modern homeschooling movement in the United States, passed away on July 13, 2007, at the age of 91.
Moore’s book grew out of an article first published in Harper’s in 1972, at the time when California was considering a law to make school compulsory for children as young as 2 years, 9 months. The article was republis
More about Raymond S. Moore...