Start by marking “Floating Souls (The Canal Murders)” as Want to Read:
Floating Souls (The Canal Murders)

Floating Souls (The Canal Murders)

The author of The Bone Lady: Life as a Forensic Anthropologist, turns her hand to fiction in a mystery infused with insight, vivid description and humor that only an internationally recognized expert in the field could create.
Published 2012

To ask other readers questions about Floating Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Floating Souls

Gary
Feb 11, 2013 Gary rated it liked it
I enjoyed Manhein's presentation about her first novel (she's previously written nonfiction books about her work as an LSU forensic anthropologist) at the 2012 Louisiana Book Festival, and her lively discussion piqued my interest in reading Floating Souls. Her passion for her work is palpable, and it comes through in the person of fictional protagonist Maggie Andrepont, who, like Manhein, is a forensic anthropologist. The novel is slim, moves quickly through a series of murders in New Orleans ca ...more
Julie
Oct 30, 2013 Julie rated it it was ok
I am sure that Mary Manhein does a wonderful job writing her nonfiction books about forensic anthropology. But "Floating Souls" is obviously the work of an amateur fiction writer. It definitely keeps your attention because of the subject matter, but the writing is very stilted, the characters too stereotypical and the story a bit erratic. Also, please note, that if you are at all squeamish, reading about a forensic anthropologist may not be a good idea.
Kitty Tomlinson
Maggie Andrepont, a local forensic anthropologist in New Orleans solves the murders of women found in canals in New Orleans area and also helps with bodies from a walled up building in Venice, Italy. Fun read.
Miranda
Jul 29, 2013 Miranda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Quick and easy read. I found it was a great story without a lot if fluff that held my attention and actually left me wanting more. I also love the fact that one of the characters and my daughter share a not so common name, Maura.
Doyle
Apr 22, 2015 Doyle rated it liked it
Not bad for a first attempt at fiction writing. I found it to be gritty in an old school dime detective novel from days gone by with enough forensic anthropology to keep me interested. Definitely had quite a few twists and turns towards the end.
Theresa
Jun 15, 2013 Theresa rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
The story was ok but the writing is terrible. Poor character development. I gave it a shot because I like forensic mysteries.
Elaina
Dec 11, 2012 Elaina rated it really liked it
This is a great book. It was quick and easy to read and a lot of fun. If you like forensic cases and murder mysteries this is a book for you.
Nay Alves ernesto
Nay Alves ernesto rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2013
Mandy
Mandy rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Tracey
Tracey rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
May 14, 2014
Lori
Lori rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2015
Mary Manhein
Mary Manhein rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2014
Denise Burns
Denise Burns rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Maria F.
Maria F. rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Jenny Jarvis
Jenny Jarvis rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Jeanie
Jeanie rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Marian Harden
Feb 24, 2013 Marian Harden rated it really liked it
By LSU's Bone Lady. Not bad for her first novel.
Karen Barrios
Karen Barrios rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2015
Luisa
Luisa rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2014
Susan Gauthier
Susan Gauthier rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Mary Manhein rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2014
Amanda
Oct 22, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
Interesting, entertaining & a quick easy read. Enjoyed my afternoon.
Jamie Staszak
Jamie Staszak rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2015
Candace
Candace rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2013
Jobe
Jobe rated it did not like it
Oct 08, 2012