Start by marking “Myths of Gender: Biological Theories about Women and Men” as Want to Read:
Myths of Gender: Biological Theories about Women and Men

Myths of Gender: Biological Theories about Women and Men

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  251 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews

By carefully examining the biological, genetic, evolutionary, and psychological evidence, a noted biologist finds a shocking lack of substance behind ideas about biologically based sex differences. Features a new chapter and afterward on recent biological breakthroughs.

Published August 30th 1987 by Basic Books (AZ) (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Myths of Gender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myths of Gender

Zach
Aug 20, 2009 Zach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminism-gender
Biology is not a one-way determinant but a dynamic component of our existence.

A surprisingly funny (in a totally snarky way) attack on both positivist essentialism and the idea that science could exist in a political vacuum.
Les Howie
Oct 05, 2013 Les Howie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant demolition of the bad science behind gender-role-affirming memes like "men have better visual-spacial perception than women". While much of the book looks at work from the late 70s and early 80s, some of the ideas are still "common knowledge" today, and the sort of bad science (or at least bad science reporting) that perpetuates those myths is still being done.
Belenen
Written by a medical doctor, Myths of Gender explores studies on 'gender', focusing on the medical aspects. Fausto-Sterling discusses genes, hormones, brain differences, animal behavior, homosexuality, and how science affects society. Succinct, objective, and fascinating.
Nancy
Aug 12, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tons of evidence, plus some sharp insight into the weakness of many "studies" on gender difference. Fausto-Sterling dissects commonly held beliefs, neatly comparing what's produced as evidence, but also things that "experts" on gender difference spout from their perches in academia and media.

The writing is frequently dry and didactic, but readable. Occasionally, however, Fausto-Sterling shifts into a more conversational or even sardonic tone, and that's when the book comes alive.
Andy
Feb 11, 2008 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fausto-Sterling challenges the assertions of certain brain scientists and geneticists (among others), and offers a history of scientific misconceptions based on biology. Her main argument is that these gender myths are used to defend or protect the status quo.
Ronald Lett
Jan 10, 2016 Ronald Lett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gender-studies
An excellent overview and deconstruction of several often cited studies. Beyond the specific studies cited, it offers great extensive analysis on how the methodology of experiments can be both purposefully and unknowingly biased if they are not carefully designed. Citation of older studies especially is problematic when the language and words used have different intrinsic definitions. Although this book is a little older, and has some outdated ideas in the area of neuroscience (which has recentl ...more
kylajaclyn
May 12, 2014 kylajaclyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is crushingly hard to get through, but I had to for the sake of my Sociology of Women class. I understand what Fausto-Sterling is trying to do here - proving that the "differences of biology" between men and women are tenuous at best - but this book is so steeped in science and theories and that sort of talk that I often fell asleep. I am more interested in the differences between men and women from a psychological and women's studies point of view. Not that the sociological should be ...more
Aubri
May 10, 2012 Aubri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an interesting read and the author made many good points about research and methods used to enforce our "age old" myths about gender. My only complaint is the book's age; some of the content is outdated. I'd be very interested to read an updated version with commentary regarding new research.
Miranda Sofe Nelson
Some good information, a little bit research heavy for my taste (I do better with philosophy than fact, sometimes) but it was well written and persuasive. However, I think the nature vs. nurture debate, in any sense, is an impossible question to properly study. And even if we could find accurate information swaying one way or the other, does answering this question really help us? Part of being human involves the natural desire to fight your nature, to progress and become better. And if you beli ...more
Elizabeth Craig
It was way too academic-y for my personal taste, I felt like I was reading a science textbook. I thought it would be more about the psychology behind why transsexuals feel they don't belong to the gender they were assigned with at birth. My mistake, but this was not the book that I was looking for.
Jaden
Oct 20, 2013 Jaden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book to read. It seemed very "textbook" at times, but the author does a wonderful job of throwing in snarky comments from time to time and elegantly shooting certain theorie down. This is the kind of book that I would suggest you only read if you have a genuine interest and some background in the topic.
Melissa Gibson
Melissa Gibson rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2009
Sarah Moga
Sarah Moga rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Dayana Acevedo-Rios
Dayana Acevedo-Rios rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2015
Brian Clement
Brian Clement rated it liked it
May 20, 2013
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2012
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2011
Pj
Pj rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2014
Daisy
Daisy rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2012
Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2012
Masahiro Jackson
Masahiro Jackson rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2017
Andrew
Andrew rated it did not like it
May 05, 2013
Hester
Hester rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2013
Ana
Ana rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2014
Kmasterson
Kmasterson rated it did not like it
Mar 26, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Urd
Urd rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2009
Amy Elaine
Amy Elaine rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2012
Candy
Candy rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2010
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
  • Brainstorm: The Flaws in the Science of Sex Differences
  • Evolution's Rainbow: Diversity, Gender, and Sexuality in Nature and People
  • Same Difference: How Gender Myths Are Hurting Our Relationships, Our Children, and Our Jobs
  • The Boundaries of Her Body: A Shocking History of Women's Rights in America
  • A Brief History of Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice
  • The Gender Knot: Unraveling Our Patriarchal Legacy
  • Mismeasure of Woman: Why Women Are Not the Better Sex, the Inferior Sex, or the Opposite Sex
  • Virginity or Death!: And Other Social and Political Issues of Our Time
  • Trans Liberation: Beyond Pink or Blue
  • Undoing Gender
  • Queer Theory, Gender Theory: An Instant Primer
  • The Means of Reproduction: Sex, Power, and the Future of the World
  • The War on Choice: The Right-Wing Attack on Women's Rights and How to Fight Back
Anne Fausto-Sterling (born July 30, 1944) is the Nancy Duke Lewis Professor of Biology and Gender Studies at Brown University. She participates actively in the field of sexology and has written extensively on the fields of biology of gender, sexual identity, gender identity, and gender roles.

Fausto-Sterling received her Bachelor of Arts degree in zoology from University of Wisconsin in 1965 and he
More about Anne Fausto-Sterling...