Start by marking “Myths of Gender: Biological Theories about Women and Men” as Want to Read:
Myths of Gender: Biological Theories about Women and Men

Myths of Gender: Biological Theories about Women and Men

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  12 reviews

By carefully examining the biological, genetic, evolutionary, and psychological evidence, a noted biologist finds a shocking lack of substance behind ideas about biologically based sex differences. Features a new chapter and afterward on recent biological breakthroughs.

Published August 30th 1987 by Basic Books (AZ) (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Myths of Gender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myths of Gender

Zach
Biology is not a one-way determinant but a dynamic component of our existence.

A surprisingly funny (in a totally snarky way) attack on both positivist essentialism and the idea that science could exist in a political vacuum.
Belenen
Written by a medical doctor, Myths of Gender explores studies on 'gender', focusing on the medical aspects. Fausto-Sterling discusses genes, hormones, brain differences, animal behavior, homosexuality, and how science affects society. Succinct, objective, and fascinating.
kylajaclyn
This book is crushingly hard to get through, but I had to for the sake of my Sociology of Women class. I understand what Fausto-Sterling is trying to do here - proving that the "differences of biology" between men and women are tenuous at best - but this book is so steeped in science and theories and that sort of talk that I often fell asleep. I am more interested in the differences between men and women from a psychological and women's studies point of view. Not that the sociological should be ...more
Les Howie
A brilliant demolition of the bad science behind gender-role-affirming memes like "men have better visual-spacial perception than women". While much of the book looks at work from the late 70s and early 80s, some of the ideas are still "common knowledge" today, and the sort of bad science (or at least bad science reporting) that perpetuates those myths is still being done.
Aubri
It was an interesting read and the author made many good points about research and methods used to enforce our "age old" myths about gender. My only complaint is the book's age; some of the content is outdated. I'd be very interested to read an updated version with commentary regarding new research.
Andy
Fausto-Sterling challenges the assertions of certain brain scientists and geneticists (among others), and offers a history of scientific misconceptions based on biology. Her main argument is that these gender myths are used to defend or protect the status quo.
Nancy
Tons of evidence, plus some sharp insight into the weakness of many "studies" on gender difference. Fausto-Sterling dissects commonly held beliefs, neatly comparing what's produced as evidence, but also things that "experts" on gender difference spout from their perches in academia and media.

The writing is frequently dry and didactic, but readable. Occasionally, however, Fausto-Sterling shifts into a more conversational or even sardonic tone, and that's when the book comes alive.
Jaden
Very interesting book to read. It seemed very "textbook" at times, but the author does a wonderful job of throwing in snarky comments from time to time and elegantly shooting certain theorie down. This is the kind of book that I would suggest you only read if you have a genuine interest and some background in the topic.
Elizabeth Craig
It was way too academic-y for my personal taste, I felt like I was reading a science textbook. I thought it would be more about the psychology behind why transsexuals feel they don't belong to the gender they were assigned with at birth. My mistake, but this was not the book that I was looking for.
Jim
Excellent! Review coming soon...
nicole
she's fun, funny, and smart.
Andrea Homier
Andrea Homier marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Dale
Dale marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Ashley Chidzero
Ashley Chidzero marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Stacy Gomez
Stacy Gomez marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Islam Eid
Islam Eid marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Yomainbitch
Yomainbitch marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Caitlin Barlow
Caitlin Barlow marked it as to-read
Alex I.
Alex I. marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
Christie Pearson
Christie Pearson marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Louise Livesey
Louise Livesey marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
  • Brainstorm: The Flaws in the Science of Sex Differences
  • The Boundaries of Her Body: A Shocking History of Women's Rights in America
  • Evolution's Rainbow: Diversity, Gender, and Sexuality in Nature and People
  • The Gender Knot: Unraveling Our Patriarchal Legacy
  • Same Difference: How Gender Myths Are Hurting Our Relationships, Our Children, and Our Jobs
  • Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice
  • Whores and Other Feminists
  • How the Pro-Choice Movement Saved America
  • Mismeasure of Woman: Why Women Are Not the Better Sex, the Inferior Sex, or the Opposite Sex
  • The Riddle of Gender: Science, Activism, and Transgender Rights
  • The Creation of Patriarchy
  • The Means of Reproduction: Sex, Power, and the Future of the World
  • Virginity or Death!: And Other Social and Political Issues of Our Time
  • Unbearable Weight: Feminism, Western Culture, and the Body
  • Trans Liberation: Beyond Pink or Blue
  • Undoing Gender
  • How to Suppress Women's Writing
  • The War on Choice: The Right-Wing Attack on Women's Rights and How to Fight Back
Sexing the Body: Gender Politics and the Construction of Sexuality Sex/Gender: Biology in a Social World Hjärnsläpp (Bang om biologism) Global Perspectives on Gender and Work: Readings and Interpretations Människans natur