50 Below Zero: Read-Aloud Edition

50 Below Zero: Read-Aloud Edition

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,210 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Jason's dad tends to walk in his sleep and ends up in the most unlikely places. On one especially cold night it falls to Jason to find his father and keep him safe.

This fixed-layout ebook, which preserves the design and layout of the original print book, features read-along narration by the author as well as music and sound effects.
Published November 13th 2012 by Annick Press (first published February 1st 1988)

Erika Arechiga
Jason's father is a sleep-walker. On one particular, snow night, Jason's father's sleepwalking wakes Jason up. Jason finds himself chasing his father around the house where he ends up in random places. Munsch uses humor in the illustrations, not just in the text. In one instance, Jason's father is suspended in the middle of the kitchen by his toe by a rope. The text is simple for young readers to understand too. Overall, this book was full of humor and a fun read. I read along to this book in a...more
Michaela
I'd say this is a realistic, "what if" kind of book. I sleep walk so it definitely falls into real life for me. As for age range, I'd say Preschool to 2nd grade.

This book is about a young boy in charge of a sleepwalking father who ultimately goes out the front door when it is 50 below zero outside. Our young hero dutifully brings his father back after putting on several layers of clothing.

I found this book on the Tumblebooks database. These books are read aloud. A reader can have a huge impact...more
Kimberly Bower (gladeslibrarian)
FIFTY BELOW ZERO by Robert Munsch was originally published in 1992. This board book is an adaptation of the original. While the intended audience for the original story is 4-7 years, the intended audience for the board book has dropped to 2-5 years.

Basically, when looking solely at the text and pictures of this adaptation, I don’t get the point. It does bring questions to mind. For example, why does it matter that the boy’s dad kept waking him up with his sleep-walking, and why did it no longer...more
Sandy
I absolutely loved this book. Living in Iowa, we experience the temperatures really cold and this book is perfect for reading out loud to the classrooms that I sub in. As Jason is awakened by his father’s snoring, he finds him in the weirdest places, on top of the refrigerator and on top of the family’s car. Later on in the evening, Jason hears a sound in the woods and lo and behold he finds his father, leaning up against a tree snoring away in 50 below temperatures. Dragging his father home, th...more
Marilyn
This book is a re-release for toddlers presented as a board book. Some of the text and pictures have been updated but the hilarious message is still the same and ready to be unpacked to a new group of lucky kids.

Jason hears funny noises in the middle of the night and when he gets up to investigate he finds his dad snoring....laying on top of the fridge. He shouts, "Papa wake up!" and that's when the fun begins. Jason goes back to bed only to be woken up time and time again finding his dad in ver...more
Teri
blah--really didn't like this dull book about a sleep-walking dad when it's 50 below zero.
Damera Blincoe
Review of 50 Below Zero by Robert Munsch
Publication Date: July 4, 2013
Publisher: Annick Press Ltd.
Age Group: Children’s Fiction
Format: NetGalley

Jason wakes up to find his father asleep on top of the refrigerator. What ensues throughout the night is a child keeping his sleepwalking father safe. Parents are supposed to keep children safe, so Jason does the same for his father, even when finding him asleep outside in the snow. This book would be great for storytime. The illustrations are bright and...more
Janine Abraham
This book is a hilarious story about a boy who wakes up to his dad sleep walking throughout the house. The book possesses a repeating pattern that makes the story evolve and continue. The boy wakes up to the same noises each time, reacts with the same thought, and does the same thing. However, the author throws in an interesting change of structure at the end when the mom wakes up to find both the dad and son sleep walking. I think this would be a good book to read to a class to show that ending...more
Dena (Batch of Books)
This was one of my favorite books when I was little and I am so happy to see that it still holds up so well all these years later. I'm really glad this is now a board book, because it is one of those classic stories that no child's library should be without.

I read it to my kids several times. They could easily pick up on the humor without any prompts from me, which doesn't happen as often as you'd think. The illustrations are fantastic. Michael Martchenko has a great style for storytelling. He i...more
Teresa
This is a wonderful story about Jason and his Papa. Papa sleepwalks a great deal in this story; even outside when it's 50 below zero! The fine detail in the illustrations has your eyes looking all over the page verses only at the text of the main characters.

I gave it 5 starts because both my children, at home and school, enjoyed this book. The repetition of "Papa, wake up!" (n.p.)captivates it's reader to giggles. My children at home quote that quite a bit when their father is asleep on the cou...more
Hillary Forrest
I selected “50 Below Zero” by Robert Munsch as my second TumbleBook choice. I viewed this book on LOV (Library of Virginia) using the following link: http://www.tumblebooks.com/library/as.... My recommending source was Professor Kimmel, through her course I was required to review a TumbleBook. I thoroughly enjoyed this experience as well as this selection.

The illustrations in this book are incredible. TumbleBook, since electronically control, incorporates movement into the illustrations shared...more
Brianna
*Read online as an e-book from the following website*:
Category=PictureBooks&isflash=1

Robert N. Munsch's children's book"50 Below Zero" read online was a lot of fun!! The book reads manually or automatically, moving along with a pre-recorded audio feed and animation of the original illustration. The plot reveals a sleepwalking father, and his son, Jason, who tries to stop his attempts to sleepwalk in less than opportune settings. His father sleepwalk...more
Nay Denise
Such an adorable read! Loved the father falling asleep everywhere and Jason's act of helping his father. Cutest part was when his mom came in to find his dad tied and him on top of the refrigerator.

Super cute read.
Nicola Mansfield
This review is for the board book. Reviews of it should not be mixed-up with the book proper, but, alas, they are!

I thought this would be a board book edition of the 1985 picture book "50 Below Zero". One of my favourite Munsch books. Instead it is an adaptation of that book, which has had the text simplified and the art has also been revised. The basic plot of the original story manages to come through fine enough but its rollicking humour is inevitably lost in this simplification. If you want...more
Erin
The board book for toddlers doesn't really adapt the story very well, but the artwork is nice and engaging. I look forward to reading the full version when the baby is older.
Brady Pullman
This is a fun book to read. I could use it to talk about repeating patterns on stories and surprise endings. We could also talk about sleep and sleepwalking.
Laura Mincey
This book is quite funny! Jason just can't catch a break one cold, winter's night when his dad keeps sleepwalking and falling asleep in random places, like on top of the refrigerator and the garage! With each transition that the noisy, sleepwalking father makes, Jason wakes up in anger and tries to get his father back into bed! The noisy father makes it outside in his sleepwalking in the COLD COLD night, 50 below zero, and Jason brings him back inside once and for all, by tying him up to the bed...more
Wickedshizuku (and the Jedi pup)
Jan 26, 2014 Wickedshizuku (and the Jedi pup) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2nd Grade through 4th Grade
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: my daughter
I found this book so humorous. The illustrations were funny and/or amazing. Nice coloring, and flowing story line. This is very easy to follow for an advanced first grader. Though the story is long and might give children with reading problems a challenge. Parents take the time to read this one with your kids, because you to might like the outcome. Don't freeze out there when It's 5o Below Zero.
Lauri
My students laughed out loud! Munsch is one of my favorite authors. Never disappoints with a ridiculously silly story.
Julia
-Classroom library
-Robert Munsch study
-Favorite other growing up
Caleb
I liked when Jason yelled as loud as possible
Ashley Irby
My son's favorite book ever. :P
Joy
Kids love this book!
Sam Grace
May 09, 2011 Sam Grace rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sam by: Danny Hardigan
My nephew ADORES this book, and it is thanks to him that I got it out of the library. It has a lot of repeating sections that you can just HEAR a kid shouting (and indeed, "PAPA WAKE UP!!" was something Danny happily shouted on every page). I didn't really think that the illustrations were anything special, but it was definitely funny to see the dad sleeping on top of the fridge and the car and frozen stiff outside and tied up in mid-snore in the kitchen.
Meghan Hunt
I'm thinking about using this book for a winter storytime. Initially I was put off by the amount of text on each page and thought it might be too long, however, there aren't that many pages in the book, so there really isn't that much text. In addition, the repetition and story format make it predictable in a good way. The version I have is quite small though, so would probably only work for small groups (larger groups might not be able to see the pictures.)
Dolly
Nov 21, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a hilarious book, and is even funnier when listened to as an animated audiobook on Tumblebooks. The sleepwalking father ends up in the oddest places and the little boy is always coming to his rescue. It's a little alarming that the Dad ends up frozen stiff in the "50 below zero" outdoors, but it's just a book, and a silly one at that. Our girls thought it was great and ask to hear it again and again...and again.
Suz
I enjoy Robert Munsch's humor; The Paper Bag Princess is one of my favorites. This was a much shorter story, since it was only a board book, but it was still fun to read. The places the child-narrator keeps discovering his dad are wacky and unusual. His solution for the sleepwalking father is ingenious. And the last scene is the very best - it will make everyone laugh.

I read an e-book provided by the publisher through NetGalley.
Aleece
A story of how noises in the house keep waking Jason up and each time he gets up he finds his dad sleeping in an unusual place in the house.

While this does not compare to the original picture book edition it is still cute for really little kids to look at and if they want they can even guess where dad is going to wind up next.

I received this advanced copy from Annick Press through Netgalley in exchange for my honest review
Betsy
LOVED this one! Such a funny book about a boy who has to keep track of his sleep-walking father at night. Hear Robert Munsch read it aloud at http://robertmunsch.com/books. There are no pictures, just an audio of him reading the book. This would be a great way to practice visualizing. It's also fun for sequencing because the students would have to remember all the places the father kept going while sleepwalking.
  • The Balloon Tree
  • Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance
  • Wink: The Ninja Who Wanted to be Noticed
  • What Was I Scared Of?
  • All You Need for a Snowman
  • Arthur's Pet Business (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil...more
More about Robert Munsch...
Love You Forever The Paper Bag Princess Stephanie's Ponytail Thomas' Snowsuit Purple, Green and Yellow