Start by marking “Everyone Sleeps” as Want to Read:
Everyone Sleeps

Everyone Sleeps

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In this good-night book that explains how a variety of animals go to sleep, the sun has set and the whole family has gone to bed, except for their dog, Conrad. Curious to find out if anyone else is awake, he wanders far and wide—through fields and forests, across lakes and oceans—only to find all creatures fast asleep. Conrad is wide-awake, although counting a herd of snor ...more
Published May 2nd 2013 by Nancy Paulsen Books

To ask other readers questions about Everyone Sleeps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyone Sleeps

Mary Ann
Conrad, an adorable pug with oversized eyes, just can’t sleep. As everyone else heads off to bed, Conrad is left staring out at the night sky. With gently rhyming text and soft illustrations, Hall creates a pleasing bedtime story. As the wide-eyed little pug wanders and wonders, he thinks about all sorts of animals asleep: “Squirrels sleep in trees./ Rabbits sleep underground./ Horses sleep standing up./ Snakes sleep lying down.” It is certainly “lonely when everyone sleeps,” until Conrad discov ...more
Wooden Horse
Of course I had to order this one due to the main character, a pug, who travels around the globe noting that everyone is asleep. Knowing my own pug I can relate to the pug being awake all night and asleep all day. I think they are nocturnal :/
Meg McGregor
A terrific story with Conrad, a dog, who cannot sleep so he goes out into the world, to find if anyone else is awake!

This is certainly going to be read at nap time and perhaps will become part of my bedtime routine.
Anja Manning
This book made me laugh even though it is a bedtime story.

I can easily see that reading about all those sleeping animals can make you sleepy, even though the book's main character, Conrad the pug, could not sleep...
In the end Conrad finds a friend who also cannot sleep, and together, they give it another try.

Adorable.
Samantha
A dog is wide-awake while the world around him is settling down to slumber. In rhyming text he reviews both land and sea animals around the world and the distinctive ways in which they all sleep.

Ink, watercolor, and gouache illustrations are fantastic! The soft lines used to render the animals complemented the soothing palette of dark hues used to color the illustrations. I liked lingering on each page taking in the extra details.

This is one of my favorite bedtime books in recent memory. A grea
Kristen
Gorgeously illustrated, perfect bedtime story
Heather
3.5 stars. Super sweet illustrations. Conrad the Pug is the most adorably wide-eyed character I've ever seen. The book is full of interesting facts about the way other animals sleep, while still keeping with a soft, poetic narrative. Unfortunately, in the way of many rhyming picture books, the rhyme drops off abruptly at the end--which I don't really like for reading aloud.
Beth
Maybe a different dog would have made this story more believable but pugs will nap anytime, anywhere, so a story about an insomniac pug just didn't work for me. I have a pug snoozing on my lap as I write this as a matter of fact. Maybe if it had been a dog with a seemingly endless supply of energy, like a jack russell terrier for instance, it would've been more believable.
Kelsey
Age: 1-years - 1st grade
Animals: Pug dog, various animals around the world

A pug imagines everyone else sleeping except himself. The rhyme scheme saves this book from boredom. I also like that the sleepless pug makes appearances in the pictures as he imagines and sometimes imitates the other sleeping animals.
Robin
Coincidentally this new book arrived in the Children's Library on the same day that I offered a bedtime storytime! I like this little pug depicted in this story who travels far and wide to discover that every other creature is sleeping except him!
Candy
The narrator, an insomniac, goggle-eyed pug, is as cute as he can be. Navigating the nighttime world, he discovers the many different ways that creatures sleep. Moments of humor, but the rhyme scheme and rhythm didn't always flow for me.
Violet
Rhyme scheme is a bit clunky, but the story is nice and the illustrations make this a fantastic picture book, especially for dog lovers. The end pages with multiple illustrations of the pug-main character would make great wallpaper.
A sleepless pug doesn't know why everyone else is asleep! The pug wanders seeing how differeny animals sleep until coming back home and falling asleep.
Tessa
A few factual inaccuracies for the sake of rhyme scheme really disappointed me. If you can get past that this is a nice book with good illustrations.
Librariansteph
The pug is adorable and illustrations are sweet. However, there are soooo many good nighttime/animals-going-to-bed books out there already....
Leona
good bedtime lap book and storytime book. little ones will get sleepy watching all the animals dozing.
Jen
Jul 06, 2013 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: pb
sweet pictures. simple text. introduces simple science/animal concepts.
Jodie
A dog can't sleep and discovers how other animals sleep.
Edward Sullivan
Krysta
Krysta added it
Mar 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Cow Loves Cookies Because You Are My Teacher City I Love Because I Am Your Daddy Because You Are My Baby