Start by marking “The Moon and More” as Want to Read:
The Moon and More

The Moon and More

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  28,005 Ratings  ·  2,735 Reviews

Enter Theo, a super-ambitious outsider, a New Yorker assisting on a documentary film about a reclusive local artist. Theo's sophistica
Published June 4th 2013 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Moon and More, please sign up.

Caitlyn "Books Are My Life" Baker
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
41st out of 1,520 books — 10,841 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
58th out of 2,461 books — 12,430 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
Ever since I succumbed to peer pressure and read The Truth About Forever, I've been a fan of Sarah Dessen's. I know there are readers who dismiss her books as being too boring or too girly, and it's true that it's hard to pinpoint anything hugely dramatic that happens in her books plot-wise. But that's exactly what I like about her novels--they're about nothing and yet absolutely everything at the same time.

In the summer before college, Emaline is working at her family's vacation rental in the b
Laura Newcombe
This? When? How? THISWHENHOW?! Oh. My. God. *faints*
Lux
Jun 28, 2013 Lux rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
After Reading:
I love Sarah Dessen, but did not love The Moon and More. The last 30 pages were better than the first 400, and I feel kind of guilty writing that. Oh well. Win some, lose some, doesn't really matter! Her books will always hold a special place in my heart.

Before Reading:
I get stupidly excited every time a new Sarah Dessen book is announced. I only hope the cross-over characters are a little more interesting this time! I’m also hoping we see Jason again, I’m so curious about him.
"That's All" Ash
Jun 10, 2013 "That's All" Ash rated it really liked it
 photo download-5.png

Sarah Dessen \Sa-rah Des-sen\ ; noun : the reason why I failed Algebra II in high school.

No hard feelings or anything.

She’s just that badass.

What’s so kickass about this Sarah Dessen is that she doesn’t put her heroines on this high pedestal for us to read about and want to be like. Instead, she creates heroines who we can relate to . Her characters are flawed, and they probably can’t take down an entire city of villains, and they don’t always have perfect hair.

And I fucking love it!

photo 16101126.jpg

Emalin
Iffath
Jun 04, 2013 Iffath rated it really liked it
me on sarah dessen:
description

me when i heard about this:

I CAN'T FREAKIN' CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT YOU GUYS PLZ SEND HELP

title one: The Best Ever After
title two: Someone Else's Summer
title three: The Moon and More

Giselle
Jun 05, 2013 Giselle rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, own, contemporary
As my first Sarah Dessen novel I was a little worried as it seems people either love her books or don't, so it's a relief that I fall in with her fans. The Moon and More is an especially perfect beach read. It's lighthearted, it's fun, with a great summery atmosphere, and it has enough emotion to keep you fully immersed.

This book is not really about anything at all (and I say this in a positive light), or some may say it's about everything; it's about growing up. It spans one summer in Emaline'
Kaitlinnrosee
Nov 05, 2014 Kaitlinnrosee rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2013 Sarah added it
Let this one be more original than her last two books, please God I'm begging you. Sarah Dessen's way of recycling past material (and lines!) makes me quite weary of her sometimes. I hope this one is a little more fresh.
Aimee
Jun 21, 2013 Aimee rated it did not like it
This sounds exactly like the same plot that Dessen uses in mostly all of her works -_-
[image error]

[image error]
Generally, the parents are divorced/one of them has remarried and has kids, both/one are academically demanding, one is dominantly absent, etc. The protagonist is an outsider to whatever small town she moves into, she meets a different, cute boy who has a side that only SHE gets to witness.
Really, Dessen? Really?
Kingsley would not approve.
Whatever. We'll see how "The Moon and More"
Cara
May 09, 2014 Cara rated it really liked it
YES PLEASE!

This was my first reaction when I first heard that the impeccable Dessen was coming out with another book. Through many months and many title changes I awaited this book. I even past my most grueling semester yet and I would think, "Don't worry you'll get to read soon." And guess what book was on top of my to-read list? Yup, this one.

Emaline (I'm soooo tempted to type that name with two m's) lives in the beach town of Colby and we find her during the summer before she is to start col
Pinky
Oct 09, 2015 Pinky rated it really liked it

I enjoyed reading this book but it wasn't my favorite, if I had to choose which one I liked best by Sarah Dessen. I don't know why, but I had a hard time warming up to one of the characters. And it bothered me through out the story because of the fact that he was one of the characters that we see often in a book. But althoug
Kirsten
I can't wait! I've read all of Dessen's books, and I can tell you, she is my all-time-favorite-author!!! :3
Jane
Jun 20, 2013 Jane rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-quite-there
ARGH I REALLY DON'T WANT TO DO THIS BUT SCREW IT I'M GIVING THIS TWO STARS.

Before all you loyal Sarah Dessen fanatics fans hurl me out of the fan club and toss my "SARAH FOREVER" badge into the garbage bin, hear me out, okay?

"Luke is the perfect boyfriend: handsome, kind, fun. He and Emaline have been together all through high school in Colby, the beach town where they both grew up. But now, in the summer before college, Emaline wonders if perfect is good enough."

Yeah yeah, so what's the number
Keertana
Jun 14, 2013 Keertana rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 Stars

The Moon and More has a lot to love, but it's very different from a typical Dessen novel. I think, by now, we've all come to expect a certain type of book when we hear the name Sarah Dessen. Obviously contemporary with a heavy dose of character development, beautiful settings, and swoon. Not to mention rich secondary characters and always, always, always growth, if not self-discovery. And it's a formula that works, every time. While I am thrilled that Dessen chose to veer off fr
Arlene
May 02, 2013 Arlene rated it it was amazing
"The thing is, you can’t always have the best of everything. Because for life to be real, you need it all - good and bad, beach and concrete, the familiar and the unknown, big talkers and small towns…"

The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen marks her newest YA contemporary release, which I was absolutely elated to get my hands on. I’ve been reading Dessen’s books for years, and I truly enjoy her writing, characters and beachside settings. To be able to jump into The Moon and More was sheer bliss, and
Taylor Knight
This is only my second Sarah Dessen book so I wasn't sure what to expect. And while I liked this book a lot, I didn't love it like I did Just Listen.

The Moon and More started out really great but I felt it became pretty slow early on. It's fairly large book, around 450 pages, and I felt like quite a bit could have been cut out. There was a lot of backstory and at times, I really didn't care about it.

I liked Emaline a lot but I didn't really care for either of the boys. And because I couldn't fa
Brenna
How come no one told me there was a new Sarah Dessen book coming out sooner?!

*twiddles thumbs*

*checks calendar*

Update: Just finished! I liked this one - it actually is fairly different from most of Sarah Dessen's other books which is nice :) But it isn't one of my favourites by her either.

---

Guys, I have been reading Sarah Dessen for FOREVER. I grew up on her books, and because of that I feel like I've been stalking her newest release ever since I heard about it... over a year ago. Believe me,
Kelsey
Jun 23, 2014 Kelsey rated it really liked it
UPDATE: I got the book yesterday and immediately cracked it open and began to read. Sarah Dessen's words enticed me as always to the point where I never looked at the number of pages or cared how far I was into it. It was a bit different than her other books and I'm still not sure if I like that. It wasn't like Dreamland (my favorite by Sarah Dessen, I wish she would write another one like it), but it didn't follow her usual boy meets girl line. I still thought it was good, but it was one of my ...more
Sweet Dreams
Lo cierto es que me he llevado una sorpresa con este libro. Ha sido una mezcla de sensaciones importante. Justo cuando pensaba que me iba a dejar indiferente, en el momento en el que más necesitaba que la historia fuera distinta, que se alejara de los tópicos, ¡bum! Todo ha pegado un giro que no he visto venir. Ha conseguido que cierre el libro con una sonrisa y me ha hecho pensar. Creo que Sarah Dessen siempre deja alguna cosita especial dentro de sus libros, una perlita.
Georgia
NEW SARAH DESSEN BOOK, SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

Update 26/6/13:

This was so good! Loved it, loved it, loved it <3

Update 9/11/12:

Ooooh pretty cover! Sarah Dessen has such pretty covers <3
And, you know you're a prestigious author when your name's bigger than the title of the book. ;)

Annie
Jun 18, 2012 Annie marked it as to-read
i love her books! i really do but...
ENOUGH WITH THE SUMMER ROMANCE!!!
i just want more masterpieces like Dreamland :O
Annabel ♥
Aug 09, 2013 Annabel ♥ rated it really liked it
UPDATED 6/27/13

So I reread this, because I really hate to post a review with any kind of negativity in it when its Sarah Dessen, and let me just say, it was AMAZINGGGG! I can't believe i didn't enjoy it more the first time. I'd give this book 5 stars my second time reading it, so I'm averaging the two, hence the 4 stars :) I'll post a full review if I have time.

Now onto my slightly more negative first review (I don't agree with half of these things anymore, just saying )

You can find this rev
Amanda
Jun 10, 2013 Amanda rated it it was ok
I love Sarah Dessen. I really do. I have many fond memories of reading her books in high school. But What Happened to Goodbye and Along for the Ride were both MAJOR disappointments. I hope The Moon and More makes me love her books again.

-----------------------
(edit: 6/9/13)

I'm about halfway done. I don't think I'll give this an individual review. However, I'd like to list some general reasons as to why I'm most likely parting ways from Sarah Dessen after I'm finished with The Moon and More:

1. Pl
Thomas
Queen Dessen, Empress Dessen, and Rock Star of YA Realistic Fiction Dessen - all titles I whispered while reading this book, usually after the words "bow down to..." After ten previously published novels, Sarah Dessen still has that signature prose style of hers - just enough telling and showing to suck you in while establishing back story, a setting that sits in the back of your mind when you close your eyes, and characters that you can believe in.

The summer after her senior year, Emaline has o
Liviania
Jun 05, 2013 Liviania rated it really liked it
A.J. Jacobs can try to dub realistic YA novels "GreenLit" all he likes; those of us who actually read the genre know DessenLit would be more accurate. Sarah Dessen is one of the queens of the genre, and she didn't get there by writing bad books. THE MOON AND MORE isn't one of her more romantic novels, but Emaline is a memorable heroine with an absorbing story.

(Please note that the above paragraph is not a knock on John Green. I love his novels too.)

Emaline is highly competent and not very flexib
Lexi
Jun 09, 2013 Lexi rated it it was ok
So here's the thing, I actually am a fan of Sarah Dessen. The Truth About Forever is one of my favorite summer books. But this book really missed the mark for me. In this book, Dessen seemed to attempt a little more subtely than her typical sad girl meets dreamy boy who changes her life. Instead, the protagonist, Emaline, deals with two relationships, one her high school sweetheart, the other the tourist from the city. The book tries to tackle the question, how do you move forward without abando ...more
Uka
Apr 12, 2015 Uka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
4'5/5
Me ha encantado volver a Colby, con una historia similar a Along for the ride, con el cual disfruté cada una de sus páginas. Con una historia sencilla, aunque apenas haya giros, sorpresas o acciones impactantes, pero que posee una narración cuidada, consigue trasladar al lector al verano eterno de sus libros. Los personajes son reales, creíbles y sufren su pequeña evolución, siempre aportando su lección en la vida al final. Un libro totalmente recomendado.
Vir
May 07, 2015 Vir rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un 3,5 en realidad

Te daré las estrellas y mucho más no es la novela que más me ha gustado de Sarah Dessen debido, sobre todo, a lo poco que disfruté con la relación amorosa y lo desaprovechados que están los secundarios, pero aún así es una lectura fresquita, divertida y con un buen mensaje. Además, siempre es un placer leer algo de esta autora.

Andvari Leitón
Quien me conozca sabrá que adoro a Sarah Dessen. Sus novelas me parecen maravillosas y siempre espero las publicaciones de sus libros como una niña esperando a que aparezca el camión de los helados. Así que poner esas dos estrellitas me ha dolido, pero voy a intentar explicar por qué.

La novela me ha gustado. Y con esto quiero decir que, tras la confusión al estar leyendo algo de Dessen con tantas cosas que me molestaban, me quedo con lo bueno. Y lo bueno de Te daría las estrellas y mucho más es
Kaethe
This is now my favorite of Dessen's books. There are familiar elements: conflict with parents, conflict with sisters, high-achieving academic girl discovering how well she can do other things through a job, the importance of friends. But there's some new stuff here, too. A central issue is education. The oldest sister, Margot, has been to college and come back home, brimming with ideas for improving the family business. The middle sister isn't bookish, she's going to beauty school to learn how t ...more
Theo or Luke? 53 280 May 25, 2015 05:33PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen - Restarting August 13th 2014 52 91 Aug 14, 2014 04:46AM
Unquenchable Reads: The Moon and More- Jan. 8 59 21 Jan 27, 2014 08:58PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Moon and More 1 2 Jul 15, 2013 06:37AM
Win a free copy of The Moon and More...and more!! 1 31 Jun 26, 2013 04:58PM
  • All I Need
  • The Lucy Variations
  • Nantucket Blue (Nantucket, #1)
  • Right of Way
  • Dirty Little Secret
  • Thousand Words
  • Return to Me
  • Falling For You

“Life is long. Just because you don't get your chance right when you want or expect it doesn't mean it won't come. Fate doesn't punch a time clock or consult a schedule.” 127 likes
“The truth was, there was no way everything could be the Best. Sometimes, when it came to events and people, it had to be okay to just be.” 101 likes