Start by marking “Truck Stop” as Want to Read:
Truck Stop

Truck Stop

Early each morning,
before the sun is even up,
the Truck Stop opens for breakfast,
and the trucks start pulling in.
Eighteen wheeler,
milk tank,
moving van,
and flatbed!
Their drivers order eggs and bacon,
pancakes with syrup,
and a blueberry muffin.
For the boy who helps his parents at the counter, there is nothing better than seeing all the trucks roll in; he knows every single one
Published May 16th 2013 by Viking Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Truck Stop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truck Stop

Monica Williams
May 10, 2014 Monica Williams rated it really liked it
Wheely good fun! Great illustrations and a charming story. Even non-truck fans will find much to enjoy!
Asho
Nov 23, 2016 Asho rated it really liked it
We love Rockwell's books at our house, and this one was no exception. I chose this at the library thinking that my 4-year-old son would enjoy it, and he definitely did.
I like that it shows the actual truck drivers, when so many other books focus on the trucks themselves, with no thought to who is doing all the driving work.
For my white-collar city kid, this is a good glimpse into a different world (his great-grandpa was a trucker, and we talked a bit about his life while reading). I also liked
Sabrina
Mar 20, 2017 Sabrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute concept.
My 3 year old absolutely loves the art. He spent a lot of time looking at each truck and driver. It was also nice to see female truck drivers included. I loved that the truck stop was a family business!

The wording is very awkward. I like the attempt to move away from boring sentences, but the first page in the book is so clunky I ended up rereading it 3 times before I figured it out. (Usually I am a decent reader).

Really this is about 3.5 for me, so I'll round up and go 4, since i
Cara Byrne
Mar 17, 2017 Cara Byrne rated it really liked it
What better dream for truck-loving kids than to live and work at a truck stop with their family? This is a great book that shows off all sorts of different trucks and the drivers who operate them, ending with a story of helping those who need a lift. An Imagination Library book.
Meribeth
Jul 24, 2014 Meribeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It’s before sun-up, and a young boy describes how he and his parents arrive to get breakfast ready at their truck stop. Meanwhile Uncle Marty opens up the service garage for repairs. Every day they serve the people who drive eighteen-wheelers, tankers, moving vans, tow trucks and other vehicles along the highway.
Each person who stops is known, not only by name, but also by his or her preferred foods: Coffee and doughnuts for Maisie, who drives the tank truck carrying milk; sausage and pancake
Linda
This book is written for a special group, those who feed the thousands of truckers across the land who haul and repair and pull things that help our lives. A young boy tells the tale of this family who opens up their truck stop very early to get ready for those who stop in for their own breakfast, same thing every day. Soon, Uncle Marty arrives to open the service garage. The boy introduces the different truckers as they arrive, and their breakfast choices too. There’s Milk Tank and Maisie who l ...more
Meredith
Apr 16, 2014 Meredith rated it it was ok
Dolly Parton kindly mailed this book to my toddler, and I have had to read it multilpe times. I like much of Anne Rockwell's work, but she feel short on this one.

The truckstop isn't really a truckstop but a diner at which truck drivers stop. It has a sign on top of its roof that says "Diner," and it looks like an early to mid-19th Century diner. Somehow the only employees are a married couple, the father is the line cook and the mother the waitress. There child apparently provides unpaid labor
mg
Sep 13, 2013 mg rated it really liked it
Cute book with really great illustrations (mix of water color and layers of board). While the text isn't scintillating or anything particularly special, I think young truck lovers or transportation aficionados won't give a hoot (or a honk?); they will just want to read it again and again. The vanity plates of the various trucks are particularly amusing, especially for older readers. My favorite page is about 4 pages in : there is a puddle that has formed under the diner's awning in which the ref ...more
Melanie
A school-age boy and his family run a diner/truck stop. They begin their morning every day before dawn. They begin to prepare the coffee, eggs, bacon and other breakfast items for their regular customers. There's the 18-wheeler, the milk truck, tow truck and others. But Green Gus is missing this morning. But the boy has no time to worry about him as the big yellow school bus shows up to take him to school.

On the way to school he spots Green Gus broken down by the side of the road. He has the bus
Jennifer Heise
Jul 12, 2013 Jennifer Heise rated it really liked it
Shelves: trucks, beekman
A nice change of pace for readers-to-young-truck-enthusiasts. The trucks here are represented by their drivers, coming into the narrator's family-owned truck stop. He helps mom and dad start the food and the family recites and cooks the regular's usual orders. The morning crew wonders where one particular truck is, but on the way to school, the narrator spots it broken down by the side of the road and has the bus driver call the truck stop for the tow truck.

My five year old truck enthusiast like
Andrea Tuura
This book follows a little boy and his parents as they prepare for the early morning at their truck stop restaurant. The little boy helps welcome the " regulars", but notices one man is missing. On his way to school, his bus passes the man and his school bus driver makes sure the man makes it safely to the restaurant, where the man starts his morning each day.

This book would be great for showing how each family has different dynamics/roles in society. It also teaches children the importance of h
Rosa Cline
Apr 12, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rosa by: Dolly Parton Imagination Library
This is a cute book that could be for girls or boys even though the illustration and the title 'implies' for a boy. Inside a little boy and his parents run a truck stop and he describes all the vehicles and 'locals' that come in. Describing for the reader-listener from 18 wheelers, to digging vehicles, to tow trucks to the school bus. And also what fun it is to have friends as the little boy and his parents know what all the locals love to eat everymorning when they stop in to visit and start th ...more
Jessica Harrison
May 25, 2013 Jessica Harrison rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, picture
Review via Cracking the Cover

“Truck Stop” is one of those books you just know a child will want to pick up and read or have read to them — even my husband picked up my copy and flipped through it. The brightly colored illustrations are bold and exciting. And the story is both accessible and fun.

As an added bonus, illustrator Melissa Iwai has created corresponding activities for kids — including a coloring sheet for the littlest ones — on her website.
Allison Clark
Feb 26, 2015 Allison Clark rated it it was amazing
So much excitement at the Truck Stop, I truly loved this book with all the great relationship built at the truck stop. Great warm, caring and inviting book about the different kind of people and trucks that come along each day. If you have a child that is into trucks they will enjoy reading this book. Illustration is greatly displayed with all the different types of vehicles and people that come in to the truck stop. I would recommend this book for 2 years and up.
Natalie Moore
Aug 27, 2016 Natalie Moore rated it really liked it
I chose to read this book because it could be read to girls or boys! Just because it's about trucks doesn't mean it is a book that boys would just like. This is such a cute book with great, fun, and colorful illustrations. The young boys routine each morning revolves around his family's truck stop and he loves every minute of it! I would definitely recommend reading it to elementary aged children!
Alice
Jun 18, 2013 Alice rated it really liked it
My brother is a truck driver, I considered being a truck driver..and even though they can be a tad scary, I like truck stops. The food is down home and good and the people usually are friendly. People don't understand that even though those semis in your way going slow are annoying, they are the life blood of the USA, and truck stops are the heart. This is a fun little book. I liked the artwork and the story.
Mary
This story is marginally interesting—it’s about all of the people who come into a truck stop, what vehicle they drive, and what they typically like to order. One regular doesn’t arrive one day, and he ends up being towed back to the truck stop to be taken care of. A great story for children who are interested in trucks and learning about truck stops.
Samantha
Meet the locals at a roadside truck stop. What everyone wants to know is where's Green Gus?

Artwork was rendered using acrylic paint, printed and colored paper, india ink and digitally manipulated to finish.

A great read for transportation fans with a heart-warming old time-y close knit community feel. PreK-2.
Peacegal
May 14, 2013 Peacegal rated it liked it
I liked this book that takes the unique perspective of a child whose parents work at a truck stop.

Veg*n parents: Be aware that there are near-constant references to customers eating meat and eggs, and there is also a dairy truck that pulls into the truck stop.
Jody Lewandowski
Gotta love a book about different trucks! And I liked the family who runs this Mom and Pop truck stop. They know their regular customers and treat them with sincere affection, even going out to find a driver who didn't show up (and who's truck had broken down).
Janet
Sep 30, 2013 Janet rated it liked it
Good depiction of various types of trucks as well as the "family/friend" interaction of the people, both men and women who drive the trucks and enjoy the services of a particular truck/diner location.
And by the condition of the copy I read this is obviously a well read and loved picture book.
Sandy Brehl
Anne Rockwell once again displays her talent for combining a credible and tension-filled story with an abundance of information on a topic. In this case, it's trucks, in every manifestation, including accurate labeling.
Hollee Young
Mar 26, 2015 Hollee Young rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I thought this book was okay. It was a story about a little boy and his family and how they run a truck stop diner. It would be a fun read for students, but I would not consider this good literature.
Meredith
Jul 30, 2013 Meredith rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Loved the story of the trucks and their personalities, more importantly Elaine loved the trucks and the pictures.
pati
May 31, 2013 pati rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for any child who loves trucks. Fantastic colors and art!
Wanda
Jan 06, 2014 Wanda rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My 5 year old son enjoyed the story, and it was a great way to introduce talking topics such as what people do for work and different types of vehicles on the road.
Annalise
Mar 14, 2016 Annalise rated it liked it
Shelves: third-year-books
Once again, I have books that I like better than this one, but the story is sort of cute.
Danielle Hartzler
Aug 19, 2014 Danielle Hartzler rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
My son likes the pictures but skips through it to fast to read. Beautiful book but the text is a bit weird.
PWRL
Jun 07, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
E
Cat
Apr 28, 2015 Cat rated it it was amazing
Had to give this book 5 stars because my son asked for it again and again. It's a cute truck stop story about nice people. My so. Said he liked everyone coming in and getting together. Yup. Cute.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Very Inappropriate Word
  • I Can See Just Fine
  • Stick!
  • Fraidyzoo
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • Princesses on the Run