Start by marking “Truck Stop” as Want to Read:
Truck Stop

Truck Stop

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Early each morning,
before the sun is even up,
the Truck Stop opens for breakfast,
and the trucks start pulling in.
Eighteen wheeler,
milk tank,
moving van,
and flatbed!
Their drivers order eggs and bacon,
pancakes with syrup,
and a blueberry muffin.
For the boy who helps his parents at the counter, there is nothing better than seeing all the trucks roll in; he knows every
Published May 16th 2013 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Truck Stop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truck Stop

Meribeth
It’s before sun-up, and a young boy describes how he and his parents arrive to get breakfast ready at their truck stop. Meanwhile Uncle Marty opens up the service garage for repairs. Every day they serve the people who drive eighteen-wheelers, tankers, moving vans, tow trucks and other vehicles along the highway.
Each person who stops is known, not only by name, but also by his or her preferred foods: Coffee and doughnuts for Maisie, who drives the tank truck carrying milk; sausage and pancake
Meredith
Dolly Parton kindly mailed this book to my toddler, and I have had to read it multilpe times. I like much of Anne Rockwell's work, but she feel short on this one.

The truckstop isn't really a truckstop but a diner at which truck drivers stop. It has a sign on top of its roof that says "Diner," and it looks like an early to mid-19th Century diner. Somehow the only employees are a married couple, the father is the line cook and the mother the waitress. There child apparently provides unpaid labor
Linda
This book is written for a special group, those who feed the thousands of truckers across the land who haul and repair and pull things that help our lives. A young boy tells the tale of this family who opens up their truck stop very early to get ready for those who stop in for their own breakfast, same thing every day. Soon, Uncle Marty arrives to open the service garage. The boy introduces the different truckers as they arrive, and their breakfast choices too. There’s Milk Tank and Maisie who l ...more
Rosa Cline
Apr 30, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rosa by: Dolly Parton Imagination Library
This is a cute book that could be for girls or boys even though the illustration and the title 'implies' for a boy. Inside a little boy and his parents run a truck stop and he describes all the vehicles and 'locals' that come in. Describing for the reader-listener from 18 wheelers, to digging vehicles, to tow trucks to the school bus. And also what fun it is to have friends as the little boy and his parents know what all the locals love to eat everymorning when they stop in to visit and start th ...more
mg
Cute book with really great illustrations (mix of water color and layers of board). While the text isn't scintillating or anything particularly special, I think young truck lovers or transportation aficionados won't give a hoot (or a honk?); they will just want to read it again and again. The vanity plates of the various trucks are particularly amusing, especially for older readers. My favorite page is about 4 pages in : there is a puddle that has formed under the diner's awning in which the ref ...more
Danielle Brown
My son likes the pictures but skips through it to fast to read. Beautiful book but the text is a bit weird.
Monica Williams
Wheely good fun! Great illustrations and a charming story. Even non-truck fans will find much to enjoy!
Elizabeth
I like the dog that rides in Green Gus the pickup truck. It's nice to see a big shaggy dog.
Jessica Harrison
Review via Cracking the Cover

“Truck Stop” is one of those books you just know a child will want to pick up and read or have read to them — even my husband picked up my copy and flipped through it. The brightly colored illustrations are bold and exciting. And the story is both accessible and fun.

As an added bonus, illustrator Melissa Iwai has created corresponding activities for kids — including a coloring sheet for the littlest ones — on her website.
Bunnyjadwiga
A nice change of pace for readers-to-young-truck-enthusiasts. The trucks here are represented by their drivers, coming into the narrator's family-owned truck stop. He helps mom and dad start the food and the family recites and cooks the regular's usual orders. The morning crew wonders where one particular truck is, but on the way to school, the narrator spots it broken down by the side of the road and has the bus driver call the truck stop for the tow truck.

My five year old truck enthusiast like
Brandi
A picture book about truck stop diner and all the trucks and their drivers who stop there.
Alice
My brother is a truck driver, I considered being a truck driver..and even though they can be a tad scary, I like truck stops. The food is down home and good and the people usually are friendly. People don't understand that even though those semis in your way going slow are annoying, they are the life blood of the USA, and truck stops are the heart. This is a fun little book. I liked the artwork and the story.
Wanda
My 5 year old son enjoyed the story, and it was a great way to introduce talking topics such as what people do for work and different types of vehicles on the road.
Mary
This story is marginally interesting—it’s about all of the people who come into a truck stop, what vehicle they drive, and what they typically like to order. One regular doesn’t arrive one day, and he ends up being towed back to the truck stop to be taken care of. A great story for children who are interested in trucks and learning about truck stops.
Samantha
Meet the locals at a roadside truck stop. What everyone wants to know is where's Green Gus?

Artwork was rendered using acrylic paint, printed and colored paper, india ink and digitally manipulated to finish.

A great read for transportation fans with a heart-warming old time-y close knit community feel. PreK-2.
Janet
Good depiction of various types of trucks as well as the "family/friend" interaction of the people, both men and women who drive the trucks and enjoy the services of a particular truck/diner location.
And by the condition of the copy I read this is obviously a well read and loved picture book.
Heather Colacurcio
Anne Rockwell has written yet another wonderful Children's book. Follow a young boy through his morning at his family's truck stop. Watch the regular truckers come in, eat breakfast and get their tires checked. A realistic story that's perfect for kids interested in trucks.
Jody Lewandowski
Gotta love a book about different trucks! And I liked the family who runs this Mom and Pop truck stop. They know their regular customers and treat them with sincere affection, even going out to find a driver who didn't show up (and who's truck had broken down).
Peacegal
I liked this book that takes the unique perspective of a child whose parents work at a truck stop.

Veg*n parents: Be aware that there are near-constant references to customers eating meat and eggs, and there is also a dairy truck that pulls into the truck stop.
Sandy Brehl
Anne Rockwell once again displays her talent for combining a credible and tension-filled story with an abundance of information on a topic. In this case, it's trucks, in every manifestation, including accurate labeling.
Teresa
Very satisfying re: family-run truck stop and its role in the community. Boy helps fix good, remembers the regulars, and finds a missing local pickup that's broken down.
Elizabeth Meadows
Cute little picture book about the spirit of community of truckers and their truck stop gathering place. Loved the story and the drawings.
Meredith
Loved the story of the trucks and their personalities, more importantly Elaine loved the trucks and the pictures.
Jacqueline
Cute concept with great art that is just right for a truck loving reader.
pati
This is a great book for any child who loves trucks. Fantastic colors and art!
Brindi
great for the child with an interest in trucks/cars
Kendra
Really love the community and comforting routine.
Edward Sullivan
A fun, colorful book for young truck lovers.
PWRL
Jun 07, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
E
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Apples and Pumpkins Bugs Are Insects Big George: How a Shy Boy Became President Washington Only Passing Through At the Supermarket