Start by marking “Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2)” as Want to Read:
Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2)

Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  3,142 ratings  ·  607 reviews
With the Brotherhood persecuting witches like never before, a divided Sisterhood desperately needs Cate to come into her Prophesied powers. And after Cate's friend Sachi is arrested for using magic, a war-thirsty Sister offers to help her find answers—if Cate is willing to endanger everyone she loves.

Cate doesn't want to be a weapon, and she doesn't want to involve her fri
Published June 18th 2013 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published June 6th 2013)

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
80th out of 1,501 books — 10,338 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
167th out of 2,471 books — 12,486 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica
Nov 19, 2012 Jessica added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, I'm rather fond of it, but also rather biased. I hope it lives up to my goal to be "brutal + awesome, with kissing."
Regan
The only thing I can say about this book is:

Maura is such a bitch.
deanneluvbooks
Dec 10, 2013 deanneluvbooks marked it as to-read
This book cannot fall into my hands fast enough. Jessica's first book knocked my socks off!!! If any higher power can gift me with an arc I would be outragously gleeful. Just saying:)

Well, after a lot of deliberation I've decided I will wait to read Star Cursed AFTER I get my hands on the third and last book. According to the reviews I will be doing myself a great favor considering Star Crossed has an epic cliff-hanger.
Emily
MAURA. I DONT THINK I'VE EVER HATED A CHARACTER SO PASSIONATELY BEFORE. EVER.

but seriously maura

If it weren't for the fact that i was reading this on my nook, i would have chucked the book across the room at the wall after that cliffhanger. But the rest of this amazing book makes up for that ending, still though, not okay. NOT OKAY.
Fari
(I had no idea how to write a review for this, so I thought writing a letter might be easier.)

Dear Ms. Spotswood,

I am totally and completely in love with you. And I mean that in the (most non-creepy) best possible way. I am also totally and completely in love with your books. Having read and absolutely adored Born Wicked, I had extremely high expectations for Star Cursed. Needless to say, Star Cursed completely exceeded my expectations.

I liked it so much, in fact, that I had a really hard time
Erin
Star Cursed brings us back to the New England world of witches, opression, and prophesy with a grand new tale of the Cahill sisters. Full of romance, intrigue, and betrayal, Star Cursed was a thrilling sequel that ends on a cliffhanger that will leave you screaming for more.

Cate has given up all her hopes in order to save her sisters and the man she loves. Now a member of the Sisterhood--a secret group of witches masquerading as an order of nuns--she faces the immense burden of being "the prophe
Alexis Rojas (Lexi Swoons)
Original review posted on Lexi Swoons

That ending though…THAT ENDING!!!! My emotions are too much right now...READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

The feelings I have right now are too tremendous to properly describe for you…but I’ll try my best to give you a good review without my emotional baggage tagging along...

Let me start by saying that I LOVE everything about this book. Which only makes this review even harder to write because I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it...the only "bad" thing that I
Isabel
Nope. Nope nope nope. I refuse to accept those last three pages. They don't exist. Nope.

I have never liked Maura all that much. Now, it's safe to say that I hate her.

Nope.
Claire Legrand
s;dkljfsl;dkfjs;ldkfjs;lkdfjs;dljkf

(Edited to add: I understand that the gibberish above is not a coherent review, but I typed it in the immediate aftermath of finishing and was experiencing MANY UPSET FEELINGS. Well done, Spotswood. Well done.)
April
Who does not love witches? Seriously, I cannot name a single person. Y’all remember the truth bombs Jessica Spotswood dropped on us at the end of Born Wicked with the big OH NO GASP GASP GASP moment? And then all of the swoons that she brought? Well the next book in the Cahill Witch Chronicles, Star Cursed dials all of the emotional reactions up a notch and left me simultaneously cursing Spotswood and praising Spotswood. As a girl who loves talking books with her friends, I honestly cannot wait ...more
Addie R.
Nooooooooo!

I was scared this cover wouldn't be as pretty as the first. >.< I wish they hadn't changed Born Wicked's cover :[
Elle
Oh my goodness! That ending!! I can't believe we have to wait for August 14th for the last book (although I do appreciate that amazing birthday book). Ugg!
Is it possible to be better than the first book? If not, then this middle book was just as good. I read the first book in ARC form about a year/year 1/2 ago approx. It was AMAZING. I have no idea what made Jessica Spotswood imagine this world, but it is vivid, exciting, and feels like it could be real!
This book is for the adventure lovers, th
Jerlyn
OH MY GOD ASFHDJKLMXBEOFNSMAHK

Why did you have to end like that!?!

Ferdy
2.5 stars - Spoilers

Meh, the main character and plot were kind of boring… But I did enjoy the little twist at the end and the relationship between the heroine and her sisters.

-Cate was still the same old typical YA heroine, I don't know why I thought she might have gained a decent personality between book 1 and 2. Ugh, she was insufferable, judgmental, hypocritical, self-involved, and whiny… Whilst at the same time being a boring-goody-two-shoes.
In the first book, Cate was blackmailed/forced to
Jen Ryland
Jun 19, 2013 Jen Ryland marked it as to-read
I'm happy to report that there is no middle-book-in-a-series-slump going on here! Star Cursed, the second book in the Cahill Witch Chronicles, is overflowing with conflict. First, there's the political drama that underlies the rivalry between the Sisterhood and the Brotherhood. Then, Sister Cora, the leader of the Sisterhood, is gravely ill, and there's a simmering dispute about who will take over after she dies and how the Sisters should deal with Brotherhood. There's also the growing tensions ...more
Ashlea

OMG OMG OMG OMG. OH. MY. GOD. THAT ENDING.
Devon Ashley
You. Effing. B*tch.
I knew you were capable of it, I just...you...heartless piece of...na-uh! AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!
B*tch. B*tch. B*TCH!!!

Everybody! Sing along! Angry voice! I know you know the words!
Juhina
4.5/5 stars

Ever since I finished Born Wicked, I had to get my hands on Star Cursed and find out what happens next to the Cahill sisters. I love witch/magick themed books and the fact that the storytelling by Spotswood is fantastic made me even more excited for what is to come for Star Cursed. I am happy to say that Star Cursed didn't suffer form the middle book syndrome. It also exceeded my expectations and I ended up loving it even more than Born Wicked.

So much happens in Star Cursed and there
ExLibris_Kate
I have never wanted throw a book across the room the way that I wanted to throw Born Wicked. It was the kind of wonderful pain that only a well-written story can bring. Star Cursed delivered on the promise of a heart wrenching sequel and then some. Cate has accepted her place with the Sisterhood after threats against Maura and Tess lead her to leave Finn behind without a word of explanation. With Finn safely in the Brotherhood, Cate can concentrate on keeping out of trouble and waiting to see wh ...more
Rachel
Jun 08, 2013 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc
STAR CURSED is the the incredibly exciting, suspenseful, heartbreaking and utterly riveting second book in author Jessica Spotswood’s Cahill Witch Chronicles. It engages readers from the very first line, returning them to the author’s world of witchcraft and magic and to those who wish to destroy it, those who wish to keep it secret and those who are willing to go to war for it.

New characters are introduced, many existing characters return, there is a new setting to discover and layers have been
Miranda
There will be uncut spoilers in this review.

Oh, Star Cursed. For all the ways you improved upon Born Wicked, you also fell much, much farther than the first book in this series did.

Where to even start? I’m going to go with the good stuff first. Star Cursed has much better pacing and plotting than Born Wicked. Lots of stuff actually happens other than in the very last third, and it’s interesting to read about! There’s also better fleshing out of the magic system and world, and how this society w
Danielle
Maura how could you!!!!???
Gabrielle (TheYoungFolks.com)
Way to pull out my heart and stomp on it.

No but really, this book just about broke my heart. It's SO good. The author makes us even more invested in her characters and the plotting is fascinating and the setting rich. If you were impressed with Born Wicked, you're bound to be even more impressed with Star Cursed. Full review at TheYoungFolks.com: http://bit.ly/1b50Z4N
Jenia
Mia
Overall, I have to say I really liked this book. It was well proportioned, had a good pace, was fun to read, and most of all had a beautifully flawed main character. Cate worried about how she acted, how it would look to others, what her future would be, and her sisters. Though this made the book very reflective and action is limited almost exclusively to one scene at the end of the book, the characters and storyline had been built up so perfectly by then it didn't really matter. Best of all, Sp ...more
Emily
Sep 29, 2014 Emily added it
Jessica Spotswood’s spellbinding series continues in this beautifully woven novel, sweeping readers back into its mystical but plausible world. But while Star Cursed‘s setting is just as atmospheric and richly built as its predecessor’s, readers soon realize that things are not quite the same for Cate and her sisters.

Cate is wiser now, and her powers are flourishing into what could make her one of the most powerful witches in history. And with the Brotherhood stronger than ever before and the th
Jules Goud
An interesting twist to the story.

I can't believe Maura. She is so power hungering, so strong in her belief that she is doing the right thing that she is blind to the other options around her. She doesn't know what the word trust means. It is as if she can't be happy, nobody else can be either.

We also see the tough decisions that the sisterhood is faced with. There is let the entire sisterhood be exposed or let the witch hunt continue. They have the option of going to the brotherhood and trying
Henrietta
“We’ve got to be brave, even if we’re frightened sometimes.” ~ from Chapter 13 ~

Star Cursed is heart-wrenchingly good!

Among the three sisters, I like Tess the most. I love that even though she is the youngest, she is not childish or whiny. I love how sensible she is and even when she has to face some awful conditions, she remains quite calm. I just wish Maura (the middle sister) had treated her with more respect and kindness.

Maura is quite the opposite of Tess. She is inconsiderate, arrogant and
Once Upon
It should be known that I love anything that has to do with witchcraft. I swear I think I was a witch in my past life lol! Let's add to the fact that I've been dying to read something with a historical feel. When you blend those two together you get the incredible story that is The Cahill Witch Chronicles.

Star Crused picks up right where Born Wicked left off so I highly recommend reading it if you haven't already or re reading Born Wicked just so it's still fresh on your mind. Cate is living in
Sarah (YA Love)
Review originally posted at YA Love

I devoured Born Wicked and have been looking forward to reading Star Cursed ever since! Jessica Spotswood really knows how to write an engaging story full of suspense, romance, and magic.

Star Cursed picks up not long after the cliffhanger ending in book one. Cate is with the Sisterhood and understandably unhappy about it. She misses her sisters, her garden, and of course Finn. While I sympathized with Cate, I enjoyed learning more about the Sisterhood and the h
The end of the second book. SPOILERS WANTED!!! 7 61 Apr 21, 2014 06:28PM
Cate's Decision 5 51 Dec 05, 2012 04:43PM
  • A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
  • Thornhill (Hemlock, #2)
  • Belladonna (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #2)
  • Phoenix (Black City, #2)
  • Infatuate (Gilded Wings, #2)
  • The Elementals (The Vespertine, #3)
  • Dance of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #2)
  • Infinityglass (Hourglass, #3)
  • Elegy (Hereafter #3)
  • Infinite (Newsoul, #3)
  • Tarnish
  • The Unfailing Light (Katerina, #2)
  • Born of Illusion (Born of Illusion, #1)
  • Shadowlark (Skylark, #2)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • Eternity (The Fury Trilogy, #3)
  • Unbreakable (Unraveling, #2)
  • Witch Fire (Burn Mark, #2)
I heart books, yoga, tea, cardamom cookies, the color pink, board games, theatre, twirly dresses, and bells chiming the hour. I’m frighteningly enthusiastic.

I use GR to keep track of what I read and to recommend books that I really love.

NOTE: I love bloggers, booksellers, librarians, and passionate readers of all kinds! But I don't provide review copies of my books directly. If you're interested,
More about Jessica Spotswood...
Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1) Sisters' Fate (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #3) Petticoats & Pistols Milbourn Falls Soeurs sorcières - Livre 1 (GRAND FORMAT)

“I cannot imagine a life without books.
Without Father's stories of the ancient Greek gods and goddesses, without pirate stories and fairy tales and poems. Without the hope of another way, of freedom and adventure beyond what we have here and now. How dark life would be.”
18 likes
“I can’t see any other reason he would shut down the bookshop, unless it was to help you somehow. He loves books.' She gives me a tiny, owlish smile. 'He must love you more.” 14 likes