Start by marking “The Mystery (Troubletwisters, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery  (Troubletwisters, #3)

The Mystery (Troubletwisters #3)

Magical twins, mystery and danger, unexplained events, and an Evil that refuses to be contained ... Twins Jack and Jaide are troubletwisters and in this book they must use their elusive Gifts to search Rourke Castle for the mysterious Golden Card of Translocation.

Can twins Jack and Jaide find the mysterious Golden Card of Translocation and make it out of Rourke Castle aliv
Published May 28th 2013 by Scholastic Press (first published May 1st 2013)

Miffy
This is a really consistent, well-written series. The twins are engaging (although, as an adult I sometimes find them so infuriatingly stubborn!) and the adventures are spine-tingling and suspenseful. I also find myself getting very irritated with Grandma X when she doesn't tell the twins things they need to know, and then she disapproves when they get it wrong. Not fair!
The thing I like most about the series, though, is the amount of horror in the story. There is just enough squeamish scariness
Susan
Nov 14, 2016 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun; like having a comfort meal after too much high dining. My reading palate now feels refreshed and I can dip into something a lot more 'high brow' now. The perfect refresher.
Robin
May 06, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it
The third book of the Troubletwisters series pits young Wardens-in-waiting Jaide Shield and her twin brother Jack against yet another threat to the wards that protect the town of Portland from The Evil. You know, that force of emptiness that comes from another dimension and wants to take over everything. They have thwarted The Evil twice before. But if there's one lesson The Evil seems to learn faster than Grandma X and the other good guys, it's that keeping secrets from the twins makes them ...more
Shaheen
May 11, 2013 Shaheen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The latest Troubletwisters novel is undeniably the best so far - The Mystery of the Golden Card focusses on Jaide and Jack's first Warden-related mission and gives readers a lot more action than ever before. I like the development of the characters in this book, both the adults and the children, and it feels like the series is finally going somewhere.

I really like that the secrets hinted at in the previous two books are finally coming to light. The twins are better at connecting the dots and fig
Dark Matter
Jan 12, 2014 Dark Matter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This review was written by Nalini Haynes for Dark Matter Zine. This and more reviews, interviews etc are on Dark Matter Zine, an online magazine. http://www.darkmatterzine.com.

Mystery of the Golden Card is the third in the Trouble Twisters series for children aged 8 to 12 by Garth Nix and Sean Williams. I previously reviewed The Monster, the second in the series.

Jack and Jaide continue with their adventures, partially due to the adults being distracted, leaving the twins feeling both responsibl
Rhondda Powling
Book 3 in the Troubletwisters series, is an entertaining fantasy adventure that involves the two main characters overcoming a series of challenges. There are plenty of eccentric characters and magic as well as elements of humour and enough action to keep any younger reader interested.
Grandma X is in hospital after a road accident where she was run off the road by an unidentified van. Not having her around to give them advice unsettles Jaide and Jack. There is a fierce rainstorm and they become
Lily
Aug 02, 2014 Lily rated it it was amazing
GRANDMA! STOP KEEPING SECRETS FROM JACK AND JAIDE! (And us readers, it's annoying.) The third book in this series, The Mystery definitely lives up to its name. The mystery in this story is the biggest one Jake and Jaide have to solve yet, and to be honest I had no idea what to expect from the plot. Rodeo Dave plays a HUGE part in it this time, contributing heavily to the mystery about the evil, the golden card, and the death of Young Master Rourke. I was pretty much scared for him the entire tim ...more
Kristi Bernard
Dec 20, 2015 Kristi Bernard rated it it was amazing
Jack and Jaide Shield are psychic twins. Their main guardian is Grandma X, a Warden of Portland who is secretly protecting the world from The Evil, a terrible force from another dimension. Someday Jack and Jaiden will become Wardens too. They are too young now and their powers are too unpredictable. Unfortunately for the twins their next adventure will happen without the help of Grandma X. She had been in a car accident and ended up in the hospital and put on heavy medicines.

The twins father sho
Hilary
Nov 15, 2013 Hilary rated it liked it
Shelves: tri-review, fantasy
Twins Jack and Jaide Shield are still learning to master their psychic powers when they are called upon to locate a magic object in Rourke Castle before The Evil, a force set on destroying their world, finds and controls it. The problem is, the twins do not know what the object they are looking for looks like.

The twins’ grandmother, their mentor and instructor, is out of the picture. She has been hospitalized with a serious illness, and Jade and Jack may not visit her. With no one to trust their
Shannon
So I was in love with the zombie cats on the last cover, and all I really want to know is where is my picture of a zombie chimpanzee riding a zombie wolf on this cover? Had I known that this was a thing, I would have read this much faster. Here's the thing I noticed. The dramatic change of style of cover art. Admittedly this will actually draw more attention but a large part of me misses the old art.

To go with the cover change, the insides have changed too. These books are legitimately getting b
Stef Rozitis
It was fun in an "I think the authors must have loved Tintin comics" sort of a way (I did too). There was a murder, the only witness being a stubborn parrot. There was a castle with secret passages and peepholes presumably through paintings. There was a golden treasure (I found the hiding place a little bit obvious but there were enough twists to be fun). The characters are still larger than life. Jack and Jaide are making real friends at school which is good.

I can't say a lot more without spoil
Casey
Jun 08, 2013 Casey rated it it was ok
I don't know. I mean I like the characters, the authors do a good job with them I just feel like it could be better written. What do you do with a simple as a title as the mystery? Oh boy, and it wasn't even that mysterious in my opinion. I want some more depth, also it feels like everything is dumbed down and I know it's written for kids but still I don't think things would have to be mad as obvious as the authors do in this story. I will continue to read this series in hopes of improvement. ...more
April
Jul 07, 2013 April rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Jaida and Jack face a new adventure when young master Rourke dies. They receive a cell phone from their dad(?)
Their grandma is run off the road by someone and is in the hospital. They are searching for the card of translocation.
Storms abound along with rain. Is rodeo Dave just a bookseller? Custer helps with ward protection. Tara and Kyle play roles. The twins mother becomes involved. We find out there are more twins than Jaida and Jack knew about.
Jenna Leigh
Jul 02, 2015 Jenna Leigh rated it liked it
Surprisingly, this one was a considerably better book than the first one. Evem though, I must add, it was still a little bit choppy when it came to the flow of the story. I am determined to finish the Troubletwisters series, and now my task seems much more enjoyable than previously thought. So instead of two stars, like its prequels, I'll give this one three. I hope the partnering authors keep up the good work!
Sarah Mayor Cox
May 23, 2013 Sarah Mayor Cox rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it. The characters Jake and Jaide are really beleivable and the plot moves along at a cracking pace. This is a great series to introduce young readers (8-12) to the mystery genre.

Listen to my radio chat with Garth and Sean here:

Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Sara Douglass 'Book Series' Award. This entry is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I won't be recording my thoughts (if I choose to) here until after the AA are over.
Lyn Battersby
Apr 05, 2014 Lyn Battersby rated it liked it
Shelves: awards
Lyn is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Lyn herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I will be rating this once the AAs are announced.
K.M. Carroll
Oct 05, 2013 K.M. Carroll rated it really liked it
Not bad. Read it out loud to my son, who is obsessed with this series. The Evil's tricks are getting old, but Professor Olafsson was a welcome addition to the cast. I'm hoping we see more of him in later books.
Gemma
Sep 07, 2015 Gemma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally the series gets good

After 2 slow entries, this series becomes less trite and predictable in this book. I hope the fourth volume maintains this book's ability to use plot twists and original elements to keep things interesting.
Connor
Mar 13, 2014 Connor rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
3.5 I really did enjoy the book. The plot was pretty predictable though, and it seems like the same problems happen in every book with maybe one new one. I'll definitely be reading the next one.
Sarah Schanze
Sep 03, 2013 Sarah Schanze rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kids-section
Good installment, it's definitely setting up some drama for later on. Just the kind of quick, fluffy read I wanted.
Corey Bromley
Oct 14, 2014 Corey Bromley rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book and series, getting hooked from the start, and I can't wait to read the 4th one. out of all of the series that I have read, it is the closest to perfection.
CRM
Sep 16, 2013 CRM rated it really liked it
A much better book than the last one in this series. Enjoyed it and look forward to the next book in the fight against the Evil.
Mary Beth
Mary Beth rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2015
Jason Tubbs
Jason Tubbs rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Pip
Pip rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Harani
Harani rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Matthew Thomas
Matthew Thomas rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2014
farrow
farrow rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Verlene
Verlene rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Song for a Scarlet Runner
  • Song of the Slums
  • The Starkin Crown
  • The Locket of Dreams
  • A Plague of Bogles (City of Orphans, #2)
  • Path of Beasts (The Keepers, #3)
  • The Baby Swap
  • Violet Mackerel's Natural Habitat (Violet Mackerel, #3)
  • The Coming of the Whirlpool (Ship Kings, #1)
  • The Red Wind (The Kingdom of the Lost #1)
  • New Guinea Moon
  • The Bone Tiki (Aotearoa, #1)
  • Unwanted
  • Angel Creek
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • The Short and Incredibly Happy Life of Riley
  • Borderlands (Chasing the Valley #2)
  • Word of Honour (The Laws of Magic, #3)
Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia, to the sound of the Salvation Army band outside playing 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' or possibly 'Roll Out the Barrel'. Garth left Melbourne at an early age for Canberra (the federal capital) and stayed there till he was nineteen, when he left to drive around the UK in a beat-up Austin with a boot full of books and a Silver-Reed typewriter.

De
More about Garth Nix...

Troubletwisters (4 books)
  • Troubletwisters (Troubletwisters, #1)
  • The Monster (Troubletwisters, #2)
  • The Missing (Troubletwisters, #4)