Start by marking “The Killing of the Unicorn: Dorothy Stratten, 1960-1980” as Want to Read:
The Killing of the Unicorn: Dorothy Stratten, 1960-1980

The Killing of the Unicorn: Dorothy Stratten, 1960-1980

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  10 reviews
1984 WILLIAM MORROW PUBLISHING HARDCOVER
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published September 1st 1985 by Bantam (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Killing of the Unicorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Killing of the Unicorn

Emily
A bizarre, unclassifiable book. Peter Bogdanovich wrote it after his lover/leading lady Dorothy Stratten -- 1980's Playmate of the Year -- died at the hand of her husband in a particularly gruesome murder-suicide, a tragedy later depicted in Bob Fosse's terrifying and terrific "Star 80." (In a particularly discomfiting twist, Bogdanovich later married her sister Louise, who was twelve years old at the time of Stratten's death. They have since divorced.) It's hard to say precisely what this book ...more
lowercase
you will never look at hugh hefner the same way again. you will never think, "oh, what's the harm? if women choose to display their sexuality, it empowers them." it's shocking, upsetting, and absolutely essential reading.
Mark Payne
Wow...! What a damning indictment of that creep Hugh Hefner and his wretched Playboy philosophy! What a sad, sad story. Dorothy Ruth Stratten seemed like a sweet, kind, and trusting, individual, and the way she was manipulated by both Paul Snider, and Hugh Hefner, is not only sickening, but criminal, and in some places difficult to read. I read a lot of books, and every now and then you hit one that powerfully impacts you. This is one of those books for me. I have a feeling I'll be remembering t ...more
Lisa
Jul 22, 2008 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Playboy historians.
I like this book about loving, kind-hearted Dorothy Stratten. Even if the author's obsession is probably pretty much exactly as deranged as her murderous husband's was. I mean, Bogdonavich tries to turn Dorothy's homely younger sister into, well, Dorothy. And guess what, Peter? You used Dorothy just like everyone else. Would you have been as attracted to her without that blond hair and those famous tits? As if. But Dorothy was beautiful, and deserved so much more than her tragic end.
Rubi
Dorothy Stratten (دوروثي ستراتن)was Playboy’s Playmate of the Year in 1980. After being cast in Peter Bogdanovich's They All Laughed, Stratten and Bogdanivich began having an affair. As her fame grew, her husband, Paul Snider, became increasingly jealous and resentful. Shortly after they separated, on August 14, 1980, she visited Snider at his home in West Los Angeles, California, where he shot her to death before turning the gun on himself..
Stratten's story was told in 1983's Star 80

احتل موت فت
Dawn
Dorothy Stratten's life (and subsequent murder) was a tragedy. She was a victim of poor choices and naivete. Bogdanovich's tale is written just like you would expect from the man who lost the love of his life. The book is pretty graphic, so I don't recommend it to the sheepish.
Melly
As the only insightful book about Dorothy, I did enjoy this book to a certain extent. I just wish this book was an actual biography of hers, from childhood to the last days of her life. I wonder if there will be any.
Arlene Allen
A very sad story of domestic violence and fleeting stardom, and love that came too late.
Andie Nash
Very well written, but incredibly sad. I couldn't finish it.
Thomas Ryerson
History repeats itself.
Juanita Villegas
Juanita Villegas marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Carrie
Carrie is currently reading it
May 10, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Dennis
Dennis marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Chandra
Chandra marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Anlynn71hotmail.Com
Anlynn71hotmail.Com marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Natasha De Vil
Natasha De Vil is currently reading it
Feb 05, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Roberta Ferris
Roberta Ferris marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Peter Bogdanovich is an American film historian, director, writer, actor and critic. He was part of the wave of "New Hollywood" directors (which included William Friedkin, Brian DePalma, George Lucas, Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg, Michael Cimino and Francis Ford Coppola, among others), and was particularly relevant during the 1970s with his film The Last Picture Show.
More about Peter Bogdanovich...
Who the Devil Made It: Conversations With Legendary Film Directors Who the Hell's in It: Conversations With Hollywood's Legendary Actors Peter Bogdanovich's Movie of the Week John Ford Pieces of Time