Start by marking “Future Games” as Want to Read:
Future Games

Future Games

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Human competition is eternal. We thrill to victory, we suffer the agony of defeat. No matter what the future brings, sports will be a part of it. But what forms will these games take? Who will be the spectator, who will play? Will aliens be our opponents or machines? Will physical competition even exist? What rules will we play by? What will be at stake? What rewards will ...more
Published January 22nd 2013 by Prime Books (first published January 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Future Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Future Games

Cara
Nov 21, 2015 Cara is currently reading it
i definitely wanted to be more into this collection than i'm ending up. the premise is great, but the collection seems to suffer from two problems: 1) it feels very dated, and 2) there's a lack of... imagination overall. the first issue has to do with the fact that while the anthology was put out in 2013, the most recent story within it was first published in 2008. additionally, the collection feels dated because of its composition - of sixteen stories, only five are from women (who play more ga ...more
Bill Mackela
Jan 26, 2013 Bill Mackela rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
What's not to like? This is the perfect combination: Sports and sci-fi. An excellent compilation. I loved most of the stories. But like any anthology, there are always a few stories that are really memorable and a few that you kind of skim though. One of my favorites was "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" by Scott Westerfeld. I also enjoyed revisiting the short story "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card which was expanded into the novel of the same name.

This is a collection of 16 stories from authors such
Wayne McCoy
May 22, 2013 Wayne McCoy rated it really liked it
Editor Paula Guran has put together a really great anthology of sf stories involving a variety sports and games in Future Games. From a sport involving planets colliding to a story about the children of enemies playing football, the stories span the familiar to the unfamiliar.

There are a wide variety of authors included in the collection with stories going back as far as 1965. Included is the original novella for 'Ender's Game' by Orson Scott Card as well as stories by Cory Doctorow, George R. R
Craig
Mar 02, 2013 Craig rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the stories in this book. The sports were different and varied; yet gave an interesting view of how sports could vary. the planet throwers were the most astounding, yet creative thought into future sports.
It was interesting to read of a number of sports that have somewhat similar sports in more current stories and tv. I think I would prefer their reality survivalist game where a few people have to get to the "flags" at the outskirts, competing against nature and themselves.
Well written

“Kip Running” by Genevieve Williams 4 stars
Helen
Sep 20, 2015 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
I started this collection of short stories this morning. It's very cool see how each of the authors has taken the games we play to today into the future, like American football & Sumo Wrestling, as well as create future games from scratch.
Derek
Sep 12, 2013 Derek rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A mixed bag. Some stories I really liked and most were OK with a few the didn't click for me. My favorites were:

Run to Starlight by George R. R. Martin
Will the Chill by John Shirley
Unsportsmanlike Conduct by Scott Westerfeld

Daniel
Oct 03, 2013 Daniel rated it liked it
The allure of sports has always baffled me. This book I thought would help me understand by way of a recreation that does interest me, science fiction. By the end I gained no further insight. Interesting stories nonetheless.
Rebecka
Nov 11, 2013 Rebecka rated it it was amazing
As with all anthologies, a few of the stories were weak, but overall an excellent collection.
Robert
Nov 12, 2013 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-14-season
Hit or miss collection of short stores.
Doug Clark
Jun 22, 2013 Doug Clark rated it really liked it
some of the stories rock.
Robin
Aug 09, 2014 Robin marked it as to-read
Shelves: on-hold-for-now
Library edition
Maggie Mae
Maggie Mae marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Vivian
Vivian marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Ana Carolina Batista
Ana Carolina Batista marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Db
Db marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Kaitlyn Peterson
Kaitlyn Peterson marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Garry
Garry is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2016
Hamsa
Hamsa marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Everett Lathrop
Everett Lathrop marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Bethany Ford
Bethany Ford marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Add contributor to "Future Games" 2 17 Apr 08, 2013 06:47AM
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2013
  • Circus: Fantasy Under the Big Top
  • The Detective
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Long List Anthology: More Stories from the Hugo Awards Nomination List
  • Shoggoths in Bloom and Other Stories
  • Not Our Kind: Tales of (Not) Belonging
  • Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
  • Nightmare (The Silent Empire, #2)
  • Alien Contact
  • Flesh
  • Dark Faith
  • The Monster's Corner: Stories Through Inhuman Eyes
  • Pastwatch: The Flood
  • Sideshow (Arbai, #3)
  • Players at the Game of People
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2012 Edition
  • Red Limit Freeway (Skyway, #2)
Paula Guran is senior editor for Prime Books. She edited the Juno fantasy imprint from its small press inception through its incarnation as an imprint of Pocket Books. She is also senior editor of Prime's soon-to-launch digital imprint Masque Books. Guran edits the annual Year's Best Dark Fantasy and Horror series as well as a growing number of other anthologies. In an earlier life she produced we ...more
More about Paula Guran...