Start by marking “Moving Forward: Six Steps to Forgiving Yourself and Breaking Free from the Past” as Want to Read:
Moving Forward: Six Steps to Forgiving Yourself and Breaking Free from the Past

Moving Forward: Six Steps to Forgiving Yourself and Breaking Free from the Past

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  9 ratings  ·  5 reviews
“I can never forgive myself,” she said. “Every time I think about it, I get sick to my stomach.”
I knew that feeling. I had felt it due to my own failures and shortcomings. I also knew I could help her, because I know that sometimes the hardest person to forgive is yourself.

The partial truth about us is hard to accept: We hurt those we love. We fail to step in when others
Published July 16th 2013 by WaterBrook Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Moving Forward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moving Forward

Caroline Abbott
I don't struggle with forgiving myself, but I work with a lot of formerly abused women who do. I believe the steps outlined in this book would be very helpful to these women. The author shares his very painful story in the book, which makes it very engaging. Excellent resource!
Joel Jackson
In "Moving Forward" Everett L. Worthington offers wisdom imbued with God's grace. Worthington explores the tragedy of his mother's murder and brother's subsequent suicide with the aching beauty of one who has faced suffering, doubt, pain, and self-loathing in the midst of the unquenchable grace of God. Through the tragedies of both of these events, Worthington developed a sense of guilt due to the fact that he was not there for his brother. He discovered a need to forgive himself for his felt re ...more
ACS Book-finder
In Moving Forward Everett L. Worthington Jr. has published a compelling book of forgiveness; the first chapter opened with the story of his brother witnessing the aftermath of his mother's murder. His brother committed suicide after a long bout with depression, and Everett wrote about the impact those actions made on his psyche. Since he is a Christian psychiatrist, he struggled for years with guilt over not being able to help his brother more.

Everett uses many Biblical principles, but he admits
Linda Krueger
This is a thought provoking book. A nice mix between story and self help. There are many great points to help you in your journey to self-forgiveness. His 5 steps are not unachievable but it it's a process. Two points that really hit me and are different from many other self help books are:
1. Give yourself the same altruistic gift you would give other people-understanding and forgiveness.
2. Commit to the emotional self-forgiveness that you experience in order to...Hold on to self-forgiveness of
Kate
It's a basic self-help book. It is not written for atheists.
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Ashley Landes
Ashley Landes marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Nikky44
Nikky44 marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Vknow
Vknow is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2014
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
May 21, 2014
Nataleigh Robinson
Nataleigh Robinson marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Zachary Swain
Zachary Swain is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2013
Alan Rathbun
Alan Rathbun marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Eu-min Teng
Eu-min Teng is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2013
Eva North
Eva North marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2013
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2013
Brad Lasater
Brad Lasater marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Laura D'alessandro
Laura D'alessandro marked it as to-read
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Mandy Dedlow
Mandy Dedlow marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
  • The Alaska Brides Collection: Five Romances Persevere in the Alaska Wilderness
  • Saving Gideon (Clover Ridge, #1)
  • A Bride for Noah (Seattle Brides #1)
  • Love Finds You in Daisy, Oklahoma
  • Turning Your Down into Up: A Realistic Plan for Healing from Depression
  • Effective Biblical Counseling: A Model for Helping Caring Christians Become Capable Counselors
  • Love Finds You in Bethlehem, New Hampshire
  • Love Finds You in Tombstone, Arizona
  • A Home for My Heart
  • Love Finds You in Humble, Texas
  • Love Finds You in Hershey, Pennsylvania
Hope-Focused Marriage Counseling: A Guide to Brief Therapy Forgiving and Reconciling: Bridges to Wholeness and Hope Five Steps to Forgiveness: The Art and Science of Forgiving Christian Marital Counseling Humility: The Quiet Virtue