Start by marking “Fables” as Want to Read:
Fables

Arnold Lobel

Fables

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  6,906 Ratings  ·  243 Reviews
Twenty original fables about an array of animal characters from crocodile to ostrich.
Published (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Fables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fables

Mischenko
Jan 18, 2017 Mischenko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just ♡ Arnold Lobel's books and this is a fav. Anyone can enjoy it. My favorite fable in this book is The Pig and the Candy Store. 5*****
Ronyell
“Fables” is a book full of (guess) fables written by Arnold Lobel and is the winner of the prestigious Caldecott Medal. This book is full of Aesop-like fables about animals that are greedy, naughty, confident, and lucky and this book is surely to be an instant favorite for children who want to learn useful lessons in life.

Arnold Lobel’s writing is witty and inventive as he narrates each fable with a wise and proper air, indicating that the main characters are of high class (which might explain
Jason
Jan 10, 2017 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are sublime stories that teach gentle but important life lessons paired with Lobel's thoughtful and colorful artwork. what more could you ask for? 1981 Caldecott winner!
David
Fables by Arnold Lobel consists of 20 one page original fables with fresh morals that slyly, humorously poke human at human failings using animal characters.

Each one page fable has a moral, written in italics, afterward. My favorite fables in the collection, with their morals, are:
The Lobster and the Crab - Even the taking of small risks will add excitement to life.
The Bear and the Crow - Moral: When the need is strong, there are some who will believe anything.
The Pelican and the Crane - Moral:
Kristine Hansen
Feb 03, 2013 Kristine Hansen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shades of Aesop done badly. Some of the lessons I don't think were valid lessons at all. But they weren't all that bad and I was willing to go along with this book up until "The Pelican and the Crane."

Call me triggered, as I probably am. As a parent of autistic children I had a hard time with this Fable. I understand the sentiment - you don't have friends because you don't act right. Fine. But with an autistic child who doesn't understand how their behavior impacts others - this kind of lesson s
Loraine
SUMMARY: 'Short, original fables with fresh, unexpected morals poke subtle fun at human foibles through the antics of animals. . . . The droll illustrations, with tones blended to luminescent shading, are complete and humorous themselves.'

REVIEW: Most of Arnold Lobel's books are geared to young children. Fables would be a great read aloud for older elementary students. Each story in and of itself would be a great discussion prompt and/or writing prompt. His illustrations as always are wonderful
Miriam
Sep 21, 2011 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
I don't think I read this back in my Frog and Toad days, although some of the illustrations seem familiar. But they are so luminous and fun that they may have been reproduced somewhere else. I don't love the fables themselves quite as much -- I'd rather have a story -- but they are nice and sufficiently silly and tongue-in-cheek to not be preachy.
Lucy
Oct 13, 2009 Lucy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
A collection of fables by Arnold Lobel, similar to Aesop's in that they involve animals in human situations which call for wise decision making. Lobel's illustrations are what make these fables special, some I wish I could frame and put on my wall, especially one of a camel in ballerina shoes. My favorite fables were rather dark, including one about a trio of frogs who chase rainbows into a cave and are eaten by a snake. The moral was something like, 'some hopes end in disappointment.' Ha!
Crystal
Caldecott Winner 1981

This has some truly funny fables. I love the one about the umbrella and the one about the misbehaving kangaroo. It is a fun way to talk with students about fables especially when paired with Squids will be Squids by Scieszka.
Wickedshizuku
Jul 19, 2016 Wickedshizuku rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2nd graders and up
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: my son
This was a really unique children's book. Must be to win the Caldecott Medal.
The stories are charming, and yet firm in their warnings. The illustraions are wonderfully added to enrich each fable.
Amy Oelschlaeger
Feb 08, 2017 Amy Oelschlaeger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el-230
Alison
Feb 14, 2017 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Fables I enjoyed this book. I kind of wish there were more than one illustration to go with each tale. The stories themselves are good fables. Some are more serious while others are just funny. I only recall one being didactic (the one about table manners) and that could just be the age of the book showing.
Anna
Reminiscent of Aesop's fables, brought to us by Arnold Lobel of "Frog and Toad" fame. The stories are short and to the point, each with a moral to instruct. Nothing truly groundbreaking, but interesting to see some of Lobel's other work.
Agnieszka Kalus
Ok i tyle. Bajki o zwierzętach jako przykłady dla mniej i bardziej znanych powiedzeń i przysłów. Nie jestem przekonana, że mogą stać się ulubioną książką jakiegoś dziecka.
Stephanie Moran
Fun little fables to read and discuss with the kids
Kendra
Nov 07, 2016 Kendra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How did I never know about this? So good!
Michelle Skinner
Fables is a Caldecott winner. Within, is a collection of twenty-one different fables. These fables include animals from mice, to alligators, to camels, to lobsters, to rhinoceros. Children who like animals will truly enjoy this book. One of my favorites is The Frogs at the Rainbow's End. It starts with one frog rushing to find the treasure at the end of the rainbow, and ends with a snake having a delightful meal. The moral: The highest hopes may lead to the greatest disappointments.

This collect
Luke
Title: Fables
Author: Arnold Lobel
Illustrator: Arnold Lobel
Genre: Fables
Theme(s): risk taking, change, being yourself,
Opening line/sentence:
“A crocodile became increasingly fond of the wallpaper in his bedroom. He just stared at it for hours and hours.”

Brief Book Summary:
A collection of different home-spun fables, all with their own moral are presented in this book.

Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
(Bookbird Reviews)
Without apologies to Aesop, La Fontaine, or Krylov- and without imita
Alexis Caudill
Sep 18, 2016 Alexis Caudill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-summaries
1. Book summary, in your own words (3 pts)
Fables is a Caldecott Medal Book. It has 20 different fables with 20 different meanings. It is a very cute and funny book with beautiful pictures for each fable.
2. Grade level, interest level, lexile (1 pt)
This would be a book for 3rd-5th graders. It is a very funny book, just a little hard to read if you want to really understand the meaning behind each story.
3. Appropriate classroom use (subject area) (1 pt)
I would use this book to help teach about fab
E.S.
Sep 26, 2016 E.S. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, children-s
I get that this is a classic, but I'm not entirely sure that children today would really get the humor.
Jimmy Reyes
Dec 12, 2014 Jimmy Reyes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arnold Lobel’s Fables presents a total of twenty short stories accompanied by brilliantly colored illustrations along with the text on the accompanying page and provides us a wonderful reading experience. Each fable is one to contemplate on its own and the author’s work is framed on a single page with each character in the fable well designed with light tones to enhance the images and to absorb as much detail as possible in the frame. The pictures contents appear all at once as you turn over to ...more
Morgan DiFruscio
Apr 04, 2016 Morgan DiFruscio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow-books
This book is an excellent resource for the classic style of a fable; there are twenty stories in this compilation, all with varying lessons and characters that could interest a student. I would recommend this book as an "I do, We do, You do" model example because a teacher could use it as material to teach students how to draw the moral out of a fable based on the information given within the text. I love that each fable is only one page long so students do not get lost in the story and they can ...more
Karen
Jun 25, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fables by Arnold Lobel is a collection of 20 fables all written by Arnold Lobel. Each fable is one page long and the opposite page has an illustration that goes with that fable. These fables are great. I have always liked fables because it always amazes me how short they can be but still have plot, character development and a good lesson. These fables did not disappoint. While I am used to reading Aesop's fables with dogs, turtles and rabbits in them, I was excited to see that I can also learn g ...more
Elizabeth Roe
Grade/interest level: Upper Elementary (3rd-4th grade)
Reading level: Lexile, 540L
Genre: Traditional Literature (fable), Picture Book

Main Characters: Varies by fable
Setting: Varies by fable
POV: Third person

This book features 21 different fables about different characters and lessons. The main features of a fable are morals, animals with human characteristics, and they are generally short in length. Each of these fables demonstrates each of these characteristics. Each fable has an illustration an
Gabbie Capote
Each story has a moral a theme to get across having to do with an animal. Like for example the rooster’s father passing and leaving the crowing to him. He at first could not crow and the sun did not come up, but when he finally crowed it was loud. The moral was written at the bottom of the end of the page saying that, “A first failure may prepare the way for later success”. I like how at the bottom of each story there is the moral of the story there. Each picture has the main animal being told a ...more
Kiera Burnett
Summary and Critique:
This book of fables presents comical tales of personified animals learning some of life’s most valuable lessons. The stories alone are quite comical and clearly highlight the fault in human thinking. More interestingly, the illustrations throughout the book seem to tell the story without a single word. For example, the story of the baboon who takes misguided advice from a friend features an illustration of a baboon with a look of disappointment on his faces as he watches the
Josiah
Apr 06, 2010 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fables never seem to lose their power to reveal deep truths about ourselves that we otherwise might never realize. I think that's why Aesop's Fables have continued to make an impression on readers for millenia, and probably always will.

Fables is Arnold Lobel's contribution to this unique type of literature that takes stories of the way people behave—both foolishly and wisely—and shows us the various patterns that tend to control our own lives. Arnold Lobel accomplishes that wonderfully in the p
Swear Ahmed
Apr 11, 2014 Swear Ahmed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fables was an adventurous read that was given the Caldecott Medal (1981). It is meant for children ages 8-10. Children will love the imaginative stories in this folklore collection.
The illustrations are great. The book contains about 20 fables of different fables. The character are animals and they always manage to get into trouble. Each story serves as an example for the moral to be taught. The fables are similar to Aesop's fables.
I found some of the words might be too difficult for childre
Jenny Wu
Oct 01, 2015 Jenny Wu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Fables, the crocodile grows sickly and pale as he stays in his bed, the lion falls in a ditch and muddies his royal clothes, the wolf fails to become a tree, the rhinoceros gets a new dress, and a poor old dog gets his luck turned around. Along the way, the readers learn a different lesson with each tale. Most of these morals are a little different from the common morals we hear. They feature a wry twist and a dry tone. Short simple lessons, that at first appear to be common sense until you r ...more
  • The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship
  • The Big Snow
  • Nine Days to Christmas: A Story of Mexico
  • Saint George and the Dragon
  • May I Bring a Friend?
Arnold Stark Lobel was a popular American author of children's books. Among his most popular books are those of the Frog and Toad series, and Mouse Soup, which won the Garden State Children's Book Award from the New Jersey Library Association.
More about Arnold Lobel...

“All the miles of a hard road are worth a moment of true happiness.” 38 likes