Start by marking “Tough Cookie (Maggie Sullivan Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Tough Cookie (Maggie Sullivan Mystery #2)

Tough Cookie (Maggie Sullivan Mystery #2)

When Depression-era private eye Maggie Sullivan is invited to dine with a millionaire, she doesn’t expect the first course to be a gun in her face. It draws her into a gold-plated web of theft, revenge, double crosses and murder.

A big-time swindle has made fools of some of the city’s wealthiest businessmen. The man behind it has vanished. When Maggie begins asking question
Published October 11th 2012 by Tuesday House

To ask other readers questions about Tough Cookie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tough Cookie

William Bentrim
Dec 30, 2013 William Bentrim rated it really liked it
Tough Cookie by M. Ruth Myers

Maggie Sullivan pistol whips a breath of fresh air into the moldy corpse of the hard boiled dick. (No Snicker, come on, we are all adults here!) It is about time that the stalwarts like Travis McGee and Mike Hammer moved over for a broad with an attitude, a dame, a gat carrying, nylon wearing DAME! (Same intro as the last review of an M. Ruth Myers' Maggie Sullivan book but I still like it.)

Maggie's client has been swindled and he is not happy. He wants Maggie to fin
M. Locke
Oct 21, 2012 M. Locke rated it it was amazing
When I discovered No Game for a Dame, Myer's first book in this series featuring Maggie Sullivan, it was a wonderful surprise. I loved that Maggie was a female private detective along the lines of the hard-boiled male protagonists in Chandler and Hammett that could really hold her own with the tough guys. In this sequel, Maggie Sullivan starts out with a missing person case that turns quickly to murder, and I was again swept away to the late 1930s mean streets of Dayton, Ohio.

Tough Cookie (whic
Amanda
May 28, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The second Maggie Sullivan novel is even better than the first. What I said then still applies, so I'll just quote myself:

"Maggie Sullivan is a Private Detective in the 1930s. She's smart and quick and good at what she does. The sexism (and racism) of the era isn't ignored, but it isn't overwhelming, and Maggie makes as much use of the stereotypes surrounding her gender as she encounters difficulties because of them."
Chris Birdy
Nov 28, 2016 Chris Birdy rated it it was amazing
This is a cute story. It's not great but it's cute enough to be a cozy mystery. Maggie Sullivan is a private detective during the depression. She lives in Ohio where the depression hit hard. Maggie prevails because she's a "tough cookie." Maggie is a small time PI running on a shoestring budget so she's a bit apprehensive of a millionaire who hires her to find a swindler. When the swindler turns up dead, her boss and lots of others become suspects in Maggie's mind. This was an entertaining, fast ...more
Lisa
Oct 31, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Hometown nostalgia

I love the Maggie Sullivan series! I was hooked from the start and this second one didn't disappoint. Being born and raised in Dayton it is a great way to not only take a trip home but also a trip back in time. I know the streets and places mentioned and it is written in a way that allows me to see them all in a whole new way. The time period and characters allow the reader to escape into the past and how things use to be and is such a nice change to some of the things we deal
Debbie Elholm
Sep 28, 2016 Debbie Elholm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tough Cookie is book 4 in the Maggie Sullivan series. I have read and loved all the books in this series. Maggie is a hard-boiled detective in the later years of the depression. One of the reasons I love this series is that it is about a strong female in a male dominated era. Maggie is hired to find an individual who is making fools of some of Dayton's wealthiest. Maggie has her work cut out for her when this individual turns up dead near the river. If you love Sam Spade (Dashiell Hammett's The ...more
Rusty
Sep 19, 2016 Rusty rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, own, e-book, fiction
Smoother than the first. I like Maggie, will keep on with the series.
L.A. Kelley
Maggie Sullivan is a young private eye in Dayton, Ohio making a hard-scrabble living in a man’s world during the Great Depression. Tough-talking, wise-cracking Maggie is hired by businessman Ferris Wildman to locate property developer Harold Draper who swindled him in a real estate deal. Soon after Maggie begins her investigation, Harold turns up dead. Is it simply a coincidence? Who really orchestrated the swindle? As Maggie digs deeper, her life is put in danger, but never back a dame packing ...more
Jessica
Oct 23, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Maggie Sullivan is back and better than ever. After reading the first book in this series, No Game For A Dame, I was completely hooked. Tough Cookie did not disappoint.

Maggie is hired by a very rich man to find the guy who swindled him out of a good bit of money. Days after Maggie starts asking questions, the man she's been looking for ends up dead. This story is filled with twist and turns through-out the book that's sure to keep you on the edge of your seat.

While I did figure out who the bad g
Ry Bee
Sep 10, 2015 Ry Bee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Disclaimer* I was sent this book free of charge as part of a giveaway on Goodreads.

Tough Cookie is the second book in the series, so before reading it I picked up book number one. Now, I am no writer by any stretch of the imagination, so the review will be brief.

I enjoy the setting, which is drastically different than the other mysteries I have read. I think the decision to base a female detective in a place and time where her role was considered non-traditional made for great story telling.

Mag
Cheryl
Mar 17, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Set in 1939, our feisty heroine PI Maggie chases bad guys with a .38 while giving us glimpses of the despair and poverty of the times.

In this story, wealthy businessman Wildman is one of several who've been duped in a false investment scheme. The others prefer to cover up their embarrassment and write their money off. Wildman may write off his loss, but he wants to deal with the man who defrauded him. He hires Maggie to find the crook. Unfortunately, the man turns up dead as soon as Maggie start
Julie
Jun 08, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
This is the second Maggie Sullivan mystery that I have read. These mysteries are great fun. The setting is during the depression and the author does a great job of describing the clothes, cars, jargon and lingo of the period. Maggie is a single gal that runs her own private detective agency.
In this story, Maggie has been hired by a very wealthy man to find out what happened to a man that swindled him out of some money. Evidently, he wasn't the only one swindled and one of the other victims comm
Quillracer
Mar 25, 2014 Quillracer rated it liked it
This second book in Myers’s Maggie Sullivan series is as good as the first one.

Maggie is hired by a wealthy man to track down the man who bilked him out of a pile of money. The swindler turning up dead a few days later only complicates Maggie’s quest.

Myers has created a fresh character in Maggie. As a female PI in Depression-era Dayton, she doesn’t fit the mold of a typical woman of that era. And it’s refreshing to see this different take on the mystery story and the main character.

Maggie doesn’
Noel
Jun 02, 2014 Noel rated it it was amazing
I am always on the look out for new writers of mysteries who can convey a good plot and characters with a lot of personality. M. Ruth Myers fills the bill in the writer category and Maggie Sullivan fills the bill in the character category. She is tough, likable, sassy, smart, and independent.

The plot line slowly emerges, helping you to put the pieces together and figure out 'who done it' all the while enjoying how the author has weaved the story, which is not too complicated to be believable. Ma
Judie
Mar 05, 2013 Judie rated it really liked it
Maggie Sullivan, a private investigator in Dayton Ohio during the 1930s, is asked to locate a man who swindled a prospective client (and many others) out of a lot of money. Within days, the case turns much more complicated than either of them anticpated.
M. Ruth Myers breezy writing style offers a PI whose experiences echo the traditional fictional male PI of that era. She provides a picture of some of the problems facing our country during the depression but adds a bit of social commentary in a
Susan Sarabasha
Sep 11, 2016 Susan Sarabasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Enjoying the 'hard boiled' style of this book and the fact that there isn't a death in every chapter.
Adrienne C Jenkins
Feb 09, 2014 Adrienne C Jenkins rated it really liked it
Liking the series

Usually I don't think much of historical mysteries set in Depression era. This one is a little different in that our heroine seems to be a little more real life than others. For one she certainly appears to be working class and continues to move in those circles. There"s no rich guy she knows who.can get her into places she wouldn't be allowed in. Oh, and I like the fact she doesn't have fancy clothes or an expensive habit. Like I said she seems like a real person.
George
May 11, 2013 George rated it really liked it
A Maggie Sullivan mystery set in Dayton, Ohio. Depression-era private eye Maggie Sullivan is hired by a millionaire to find the man behind a big-time swindle which has made fools of some of the city’s wealthiest businessmen. The man behind it has vanished. Things quickly go wrong with attempts on Maggie's life as she seeks to find the man as well as unravel what happened.

Story is on the light side which reads quickly and is entertaining.
Lee Holz
Jun 22, 2013 Lee Holz rated it it was amazing
Author M. Ruth Myers has another winner with Tough Cookie. The title aptly describes the protagonist P.I. Maggie Sullivan. The novel is set in the late 1930s, and Maggie is every bit as fast with her fists, her thirty-eight and her wits as her contemporaries: Sam Spade and Phillip Marlowe. The action is fast and furious, the dialogue is crisp and the mystery is unwound logically. If you loved the classic hard-boiled detective stories of yesteryear, you will this one too.
Sharon Storm
Sep 04, 2013 Sharon Storm rated it really liked it
Tough Cookie is a classic mystery that occurs during the Great Depression and features Maggie Sullivan, a female detective. Not sure it would appeal to anyone other than mystery fans, but I thought the story and main characters were interesting. Some of the details about what Maggie eats, what houses in certain neighborhoods look like, etc., could have been trimmed. I did enjoy parts of the story that were relevant to that time period. Enjoyable read, overall.
Allison
Sep 05, 2014 Allison rated it it was amazing
This was a fun take on the old hard-boiled PI genre. I thought Maggie was great except for the nips of gin, I can't stand gin. The book was written in the 1939 era and that was a departure for most cosy type mysteries and made for a fun change of pace. Loved the descriptions of the cars. A De Soto! Maggie drives a De Soto! Not too many of those around any more. I would read more in this series.
Carol Greenwood
Aug 24, 2016 Carol Greenwood rated it it was amazing
Maggie Sullivan is a smart, tough cookie/private investigator.

This story has so many characters that you have to deal with that you almost get whiplash trying to keep them all straight. I was so excited when the partner was finally exposed I almost shouted out loud. I know I'll read more in the series because this was such a page turner.
Nancy
Jun 27, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
This is such a fun series - a hardboiled female P.I. The author does a good job of setting the time period, but some terms need to be lost. Times have changed for good reasons and there are just some terms that are not needed to set the atmosphere for the book, for example, the word "Negro". Maybe time accurate, but it leaves a bad taste.
deeann linford
Mar 26, 2014 deeann linford rated it it was amazing
I'm just a woman but when needed I am smarter, tougher, and capable.

Fast paced detective story with a good blend of different life situations. Well written and the storyline gives an interesting insight of this author's opinion of police and private detective interaction. The booze level was a little high to be healthy, but for the whole part a good exciting book.
Debbi Mack
Jul 11, 2016 Debbi Mack rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge Maggie Sullivan fan. And this book was every bit as great as Myers' first in the series.

The author's eye for historical detail, combined with the hardboiled patter of the period is especially awesome from a female private eye!

I give this one top marks all around!
Anna Castle
Oct 27, 2015 Anna Castle rated it it was amazing
Another terrific mystery solved by snappy P.I. Maggie Sullivan. The author brings Ohio during the hard times of the late 30s to vivid life, from the streets to the upscale salons, all seen through the eyes of her irrepressible sleuth. I'm looking forward to the next one!
Susan
May 14, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
Maggie Sullivan is hired by a millionaire business to track down the man that had recently swindled him and several others
But as soon as she starts to investigate he is found dead - coincidence or not. Maggie sets out to solve the riddle.
Liking the characters in this series.
Palmreader
Dec 16, 2013 Palmreader rated it it was ok
cute, with some great dialogue. Not much of a story, or plot, but fun getting to know the protagonist. I expect this series to be a winner, like Evanovich. Not as intriguing as a time piece like Furst's books, which are amazing.
Krystn
Feb 25, 2013 Krystn rated it really liked it
free kindle download - turns out it was the 2nd in a series.
I don't purposely skip books, but I didn't realize until I was already into it. Easy to catch on though.
Liked the 1930s time period, will read another in this series if it continues.
Grace Burtelson
Jun 13, 2016 Grace Burtelson rated it it was amazing
Easy to read, I enjoy the era, and the language was in keeping with as best I can remember. I did not figure out the ending before the author ended the story. I also appreciated the lack of filthy language, only as little as possible to portray the true character of the bad guys.
  • Down Home And Deadly  (Sleuthing Sisters Mystery #3)
  • Bad Publicity (An Isobel Spice Novel, #2)
  • The Big Bend (Terry Rankin, #1)
  • Progressive Dinner Deadly (Myrtle Clover Cozy Mysteries #2)
  • Digging Up Death (Mari Duggins Mystery, #1)
  • Dire Means
  • Cicada
  • Regret
  • The Inquiry Agent
  • The Commission (Sam Kincaid, #1)
  • Foul Player (Dr. Jillian Sanders, #1)
  • Silver Lies (Silver Rush, #1)
  • Other People's Skeletons (Rebecca Schwartz, #5)
  • The Trouble with Murder (Zoe Grey #1)
  • Heaven Preserve Us (Home Crafting Mystery, #2)
  • The Spia Family Presses On (One Olive at a Time #1)
  • Trust No One (Vista Security, #2)
  • Don't Spend it All on Candy
M. Ruth Myers is a Shamus Award winning mystery writer. Her Maggie Sullivan mystery series features a Depression era private eye in Dayton, Ohio.

Other novels by the author, who has also written as Mary Ruth Myers, have been translated, optioned for television and condensed in Good Housekeeping. They also have been used in college classes in Japan. She has taught at writers’ conferences across the
More about M. Ruth Myers...

Maggie Sullivan Mystery (4 books)
  • No Game For a Dame (Maggie Sullivan Mystery #1)
  • Don't Dare a Dame (Maggie Sullivan Mystery #3)
  • Shamus in a Skirt (Maggie Sullivan Mystery #4)

“   Liking somebody’s not the same as trusting them.” 0 likes
“   The Great Miami had brought the first settlers straggling up from Cincinnati, and like most river towns, the city had gown up along” 0 likes