Start by marking “In for a Penny (Bay Tanner, #1)” as Want to Read:
In for a Penny (Bay Tanner, #1)

In for a Penny (Bay Tanner #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Murder and blackmail amid the ruins of antebellum splendor . . . Someone is making a killing in real estate. Meet Bay Tanner, the high-powered financial consultant whose world was paradise until she witnessed her husband's horrific murder. Wounded and grieving, she retreats to her hideaway on Hilton Head Island. Then a cry for help forces her back to reality. Can she ignor ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Bella Rosa Books (first published December 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about In for a Penny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In for a Penny

Patty
This is the first in a series, the series being the wildly popular Bay Tanner series.

I was a little skeptical at first, Bay is about a year out from losing her beloved husband to an airplane bomb and still suffering. With all that emotional baggage I wasn't sure if she could get past it to deal with everything going on in the book. But, Kathryn R. Wall handled the situation in a masterful manner.

It all starts out when Bay's father (the Judge) recommends she talk to an old friend of her mother. B
Charmayne
I actually discovered this series while we were vacationing in Hilton Head, South Carolina and since we were there I wanted to read them. It's a very good mystery series, some of the books stronger than others and I actually am behind a few and need to catch up. But the characters are believable and the mysteries are good enough to hold your attention. I like to read them just to get another glimpse of Hilton Head. I enjoyed my brief stay there and would really love to have my own house on the o ...more
Kristin
I probably wouldn't have ever picked this one up on my own, but I read it for a new mystery book group I'm thinking of joining. I love mysteries, but I have to admit there are very few mystery series books I've really liked.

This was definitely one I did not like. The "bad guys" were obvious; there were no serious red herrings. It wasn't too hard to figure out what was going on, nor were there any real surprises. On top of all that, I just couldn't stop hating the main character. She is the defi
Leann Miller
Kathryn Wall's first book in the Bay Tanner mystery series.
I recently got to meet Kathryn Wall personally and she is very funny and down to earth. In For A Penny setting is in the South Carolina lowcountry. The main character is Bay Tanner a recent widow of a husband that was murdered. As the synopsis reads above someone is making a killing in real estate, this is how her life of grieving and solitude gets interrupted. She is asked by her Father Judge Talbot and long time friend of her mother's
Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
My mom picked this book up during my family's vacation in Hilton Head, South Carolina about a month ago. When she was done she let me borrow it, for which I'm really grateful since I probably wouldn't have found out about this book series otherwise! I have always enjoyed mystery stories, because I love trying to figure out who the bad guy is and watching the hero (or heroine) triumph in the end and bring them to justice. This book was made even more awesome by the kick-ass leading lady, Bay Tann ...more
Nancy Wilson
Set in South Carolina this is the start of a new to me series--this is a bit modern for me, and a bit American but so far I like the characters, and the setting is gorgeous. the plot was a bit trite, and it was a bit violent for my taste but everyone can't be Ms Marple!!
Elizabeth Tremayne
Jenesha Wilson
Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Karynn
Good mystery book and apparently the first in a series. The reason that I selected this book was because it takes place on Hilton Head Island and the surrounding area. For those of you who don't know, this is where we vacation every year.

Bay Tanner is a very likable character. The book is somewhat similar to a Janet Evanovich book but without all the wacky characters. The author combines mystery and intrigue with everyday life drama.

I will be definitely reading the rest of the series.
Jan Aldergate
This was the first one in the series of Bay Tanner mysteries. I had never read any of her books before. I liked this, but wasn't blown away. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, but it seemed a little sketchy and at times was slow moving. Maybe the later ones are better, I am willing to give them a try at a later date because on the whole it was well written. Just didn't grab me, but as I said, it might be that I wasn't in the right frame of mind.
Elizabeth
I had a difficult time getting this book. My library didn't have it and I ended up waiting quite awhile for the ILL to go through. But...it was worth it! I great new series (for me) with well developed characters, an interesting plot and a beach setting. I already purchased the 2nd (another hard to find from the library - this time I couldn't even get it ILL) on my Kindle and am excited to curl up and read it.
Rose Keeler
I really enjoyed this series, unfortunately I didn't read the first one until after a few others but it didn't matter. Bay Tanner is an interesting person and her ralationships grow with each book in an interesting way. She is an accountant turned semi PI, the stories come across in a way that you feel like they could happen to you.
Halle
Kathy is a local author and a big supporter of our library. I was pleasantly surprised by this book -- I thought it was a solid mystery (especially for her first foray into writing) and Bay Tanner is a compelling character. I look forward to continuing on with the series.
Avary
Kathryn Wall lives at Hilton Head Island and was scheduled to speak at the Greeenwood Library, so I began this book. She was an interesting speaker and is now working on book #12 of the Bay Tanner Series!
Lisa
This is a great series recommended to me by a friend. I love to vacation in Hilton Head Island and they are all set around this area. Easy read----under 300 pages. A fun read!
Debbie
Bay Tanner retreats after her husband is killed in a plane explosion, but she is pulled out by her "old money" friends who ask for her help with a shady development scheme.
Linda Oleszczuk

I picked it up on my way to Hilton Head for vacation and now I am hooked! Love the island, and the character of Bay Tanner. Look forward to the next one!
Heidi B
I read this book while in Hilton Head, where it is set--which made it more fun to read and recognize various spots around the island. A good beach read.
Nikki
The first in the Bay Tanner mystery series set near Hilton Head, South Carolina. Good Southern atmosphere, likable characters, and reasonably believable plot.
Judy
This is an excellent series. I've read every single one. Anything set in the Low Country grabs my attention ... and this author surely did!
Marge
Any book that Kathryn R. Wall writes is a great read. Her Bay Tanner Mysteries are the best!
Julaine
Story wasn't so bad, but I just didn't feel involved with the characters.
Debbie
You must read the Bay Tanner series in order or you'll get lost.
Janice
I just recently started this series, and am enjoying it.
Michele Abrams Lehn
Light mystery set in South Carolina. Easy, enjoyable read.
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Debbie Krenzer
Debbie Krenzer marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Mary L
Mary L marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
  • Southern Fatality (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #1)
  • Artifacts (Faye Longchamp, #1)
  • Killer Fudge (A Callahan Garrity Short Story)
  • Southern Fried
  • Southern Living
  • The Witch Next Door
  • Death Walked In (Death on Demand, #18)
  • Dressed to Keel (A Darcy Cavanaugh Mystery #1)
  • The Cracker Queen: A Memoir of a Jagged, Joyful Life
  • Where the River Runs
  • The Christmas Child: A Story of Coming Home
  • Seven Keys to Baldpate
  • False Profits (Tucker Sinclair, #1)
  • Death at Glamis Castle (Kathryn Ardleigh, #9)
  • A Date You Can't Refuse
  • Hostile Makeover
  • Mind-altering Murder (Psych, #5)
  • Paula Deen Celebrates!: Best Dishes and Best Wishes for the Best Times of Your Life
202917
Kathy wrote her first story at the age of six, then decided to take a few decades off. She grew up in a small town in northeastern Ohio and attended college in both Ohio and Pennsylvania. For twenty-five years she practiced her profession as an accountant in both public and private practice. In 1994 she and her husband Norman retired to Hilton Head, South Carolina.

Her road to publishing success ha
More about Kathryn R. Wall...

Bay Tanner (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • And Not a Penny More (Bay Tanner, #2)
  • Perdition House (Bay Tanner, #3)
  • Judas Island (Bay Tanner, #4)
  • Resurrection Road (Bay Tanner, #5)
  • Bishop's Reach (Bay Tanner, #6)
  • Sanctuary Hill (Bay Tanner, #7)
  • The Mercy Oak (Bay Tanner, #8)
  • Covenant Hall (Bay Tanner, #9)
  • Canaan's Gate (Bay Tanner, #10)
  • Jericho Cay (Bay Tanner, #11)
Sanctuary Hill (Bay Tanner, #7) Perdition House (Bay Tanner, #3) And Not a Penny More (Bay Tanner, #2) Covenant Hall (Bay Tanner, #9) Judas Island (Bay Tanner, #4)