Start by marking “Unhallowed Ground” as Want to Read:
Unhallowed Ground

Unhallowed Ground

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In the summer of 1891, Henry Feathering travels to Bittersweet Lodge at the invitation of his reclusive widower uncle. Under the shadow of the dilapidated old mansion, Henry falls in love with the enigmatic Clemency St. James and proposes to her in the shelter of a locust grove.

As the newlyweds settle into the lodge, they soon learn of the house’s sordid past—ghostly visi
ebook
Published October 16th 2012 by DarkFuse

To ask other readers questions about Unhallowed Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unhallowed Ground

Clockwork Dolls by William MeikleWhen We Join Jesus In Hell by Lee  ThompsonFear Me by Tim CurranThe Rain Dancers by Greg F. GifuneThe Mourning House by Ronald Malfi
DarkFuse Novella Ranking
30th out of 42 books — 26 voters
The Hoard by Alan RykerLilith by Toby TateThe Bleeding Season by Greg F. GifuneClockwork Dolls by William MeikleLong Black Coffin by Tim Curran
DarkFuse Novel Ranking
28th out of 28 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Charlene
I loved this Victorian style tale.
It begins in the summer of 1891 with Henry Featherling catching a train to go visit his uncle at Bittersweet Lodge. Aboard the train he meets a wonderfully friendly brother and sister named Justice and Clemency,respectively. As a bonus Henry finds that they are disembarking in the same town as he- Berwick. Arrangements are made so they can visit each other while they're all in town.
From there the story accelerates and never looks back. A marriage, a death and s
Kimberly
Incredible, atmospheric tale in the gothic tradition. The author makes mention of Poe in this novella, and his influence is clearly showcased throughout. This story takes place in 1891, and everything from the scenery, mentality of the characters, and the courtship between Henry and Clem fit the theme perfectly. This strongly reminded me of an old-style victorian tale in every way. There is a sinister undertone hinted at in the relationship between Clemency and her brother Justice, that is never ...more
☔Diane S.
Spooky old houses, a strange uncle, ghosts and a grave in unhallowed ground, all things I love in horror novels. I really did enjoy this, it was well written, the narration was very good and easy to follow, while not scarred to be alone at night scary, did have it's moments. If you are a reader though, who like definitive endings, that is not what you get in this book, though their are enough clues to allow the reader to come to their own conclusion. Will definitely read more by this author.
Charlie
Unhallowed Ground is a short study, roughly 77 pages, in gothic fiction. Following the tradition, it includes the dilapidated estate, a reclusive relation, a haunting past and a doomed future with an emphasis on setting to create emotion and in truth, a character. I'm a big fan of the gothic novel and after giving this some thought, I figured out what wasn't clicking. All the bare bones of the story are there and with some tweaking could turn this into a great book. It comes down to pacing and t ...more
Peter Schwotzer
I love atmospheric, spooky, old fashioned Gothic tales and was extremely excited to read "Unhallowed Ground" when I first read the synopsis.

Did it live up to my level of excitement and expectations? Yes, very much so.

Not having ever read anything by Daniel Mills I was anxious to see how Daniel handled this type of story, and as always was excited to read a new author.

The story and writing were both top notch. "Unhallowed Ground" is a heart breaking emotional roller coaster, that for its short le
Dianne
Henry Feathering, a young man in the late 19th century meets and falls in love with Clemency St. James while on a visit to his uncle's home, a dark place in disrepair with an ominous feel to it. He inherits the home with unusual requests, one of them being NOT to live there. In spite of this, Henry and Clemency marry and move in, happy and eager to start their lives together, but happiness turns bleak.

This novella tells a complete story with few words and a very Victorian feel! I was transported
Mike
I gave it 3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed reading this gothic tale but when I was done I felt that something was missing in the story. Maybe the ending could of been better or the story could have been longer. But overall I did enjoy the story and will be reading his next book.
Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews)
This is the story of Henry Feathering. He has accepted an invitation to stay at his Uncle's mansion, and on the way there, by a chance encounter on the train he meets the woman destined to be his wife, Clemency and her brother, Justice. They are traveling to the same town to stay with their elderly aunts. Henry falls in love with Clemency and asks her to marry him while on a walk in the grounds of his Uncles estate. His uncle leaves the estate to Henry, but entreats him not to bring his new wife ...more
Reeka (BoundbyWords)
As seen on my blog:

I wanted to love this book. I wanted to SO badly. It began SO brilliantly, and spoke to me of only beautiful, promising things..*sigh* and then left me high and dry in a hole filled with my own disappointment. That was a horrible analogy. I just wish I could be writing a 5 star review right now. Do you SEE that cover!? How could it be anything but amazing? (Yes, this is me 'judging a book by it's cover').

It started off on a high, with beautifully decrepit scenery circa the 18
Heather
(This review can also be found on my blog The (Mis)Adventures of a Twenty-Something Year Old Girl).

When I read the synopsis for Unhallowed Ground by Daniel Mills, I must confess that I was more than intrigued. I love a good ghost story, so there was no way I was going to let this one pass me by. Although this book wasn't as ghosty (not a real word, haha) as I would've liked, it was still a nice read.

Unhallowed Ground by Daniel Mills is a short story told by the main character, Henry Feathering.
Erin
Find the enhanced version of this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

Daniel Mills' Unhallowed Ground is definitely a noteworthy piece, but that being said, I have mixed feelings about the story.

To Mills' credit, he really captured the style and flow that characterizes gothic literature. The voice he crafted for narrator Henry Feathering would do Poe proud. Mills' wording strikes the same cords and in that respect I really have to applaud this piece.

Still, I can't bri
Deb Novack
A young man Henry Feathering who lives in the late 19th century meets and falls in love with Clemency St. James. He was visiting his uncle's home, a house that was in disrepair and an extremely dark place. This was a good novella and I love the Victorian era that it was set in.

***I received this book in exchange for an honest review****
MaryAnn
This story is from the Victorian age and the main character is Henry who visits his Uncle's estate called Bittersweet Lodge. The house is described as a wonderful mansion that has fallen into neglect and not kept up for the house or the grounds. On his travels he meets a brother and sister pair, Justice and Clemency and strikes up a friendship with them. He invites them to visit him at the estate and one thing leads to another and Henry and Clemency get married. Henry's uncle warns him not to se ...more
Alexander Petkovski
The story is set in 1891 and its main character is Henry.
After the death of his sister, Henry goes to visit his uncle at Bittersweet Lodge. On the train he meets a brother and a sister Justice and Clemency and instantly befriends with them.
However, he feels more than a friendship for Clemency. They agree to discover the grounds at Bittersweet Lodge. But the manor has a history of its own. Can Henry not let it repeat itself?

I think Unhallowed Ground is a dubut novel for Daniel Mills and I liked i
Mary Chrapliwy
Bittersweet Lodge is a once grand ruin of a house. The protagonist Henry Feathering goes on a trip to visit his uncle at the old home. Enroute he meets Clemency and Justice, who he becomes close friends with. Eventually, though, he falls in love with Clemency and proposes to her in a grove that shelters an grave on unhallowed ground.

Daniel Mills has crafted a novella with a thoroughly Victorian feel. If I hadn't known better, I would have sworn that I was reading a truly victorian novel. The sto
PenneyDreadful
Another haunting story by a recent discovery of mine.
AvidReader47
Ghosts, Haunted Houses, Strange Family Members, an Old Grave in "Unhallowed Ground" are just some of the elements featured in Daniel Mill's spooky tale. While I do love my scary stories, this one fell flat. I did not find myself scared enough where I needed to "keep the lights on." However, it did have it's moments, but not enough to warden more than three stars. The ending did not give you anything definitive as to what actually happened. You need to draw your own conclusions which I thought wa ...more
Cphe
Others have already attended to the synopsis. My thoughts on the novella, I really enjoyed the gothic feel of this Victorian novella. Much is alluded to, but little is revealed. It is up to the reader to interpret events. I found this to be highly descriptive with the aged and crumbling mansion, fog and darkness. Then there are the ghostly overtones.
The characters were well fleshed out. The naive, romantic Henry, the enigmatic Clemency and the brooding Justice.

A relatively quick read with wonder
* Booksessed * Bec
Book provided by the publisher.

I've got to say, I was quite surprised by this. It was well written and had a good plot. I really liked the characters, my only issue was the ending, after everything that happened and were told.....to end like that.... I was like whaaaaaaat?????? I feel a bit cheated out of what could have been a great ending
Ashley
Thanks Net Galley!!! You're the best!

I really liked where Mills was going with this. The story is nice and interesting, the characters are likable, and the writing is flows very well. There was one part that fell very flat (I can't say more without spoiling!) but overall this was a great quick read. I would definitely read more from Mills.
Matthew
An effective, very well written gothic tale. Mills shows a gift for inhabiting historical time periods effortlessly. Not as original as Revenants but an excellent read.
Daniel Drago
This was well written but the story never went anywhere and it just never fell into the horror genre for me. Just wasn't my style. Had a hard time finishing.
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
John Muñoz
John Muñoz marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Nika Won
Nika Won marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Andrey Dolganov
Andrey Dolganov marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Mlle Ghoul
Mlle Ghoul marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Denny
Denny marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Daniel Mills is a Vermont-based author of weird/horror fiction. Revenants, his first novel, was published in February 2011 by Chomu Press and later selected by Booklist as one of the Top 10 Historical Novels of 2011.

His short fiction has appeared in a variety of journals and anthologies, including Black Static, Shadows & Tall Trees, A Season in Carcosa, Fungi, The Grimscribe's Puppets, and Th
More about Daniel Mills...
Revenants The Lord Came at Twilight Supernatural Tales 20 Britain's Best Dish: Over 100 Delicious Dishes from Across the Nation Historical Lovecraft