Knitter in His Natural Habitat (Granby Knitting, #4)

Knitter in His Natural Habitat (Knitting #4)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  643 ratings  ·  96 reviews
A Granby Knitting Novella

Stanley’s life took a left turn at a knitting shop and hit a dead end. The closest thing he’s had to a relationship breaks things off to date a “nice boy,” and none of the pretty young things in Boulder’s limited gay scene do it for Stanley. He needs to reevaluate whether working as a floor designer for a series of craft stores is really where he w...more
Published November 14th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published November 13th 2012)

Meep
Nov 23, 2012 Meep rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: yarn obsessives!
The relationship is all deep life changing conversations from the first date which goes beyond chick-with-dick and into WTF territory. I liked Stanley but don't see what attracted Johnny except a bubble butt mentioned enough times to qualify for a drinking game and promised sluttyness.

The side characters are a return of past characters and new sidekicks that are interchangeable Ariadne/Alice, both coo at the sweetie and dissect his 'love' life. (view spoiler)...more
Heller
I wasn't sure going into this if I was going to like Stanley, Craw's bathroom hookup from The Winter Courtship Rituals of Fur-Bearing Critters, but I did...so very much. He is so bitchy and snarky but so extremely loyal and sweet. I loved him and I laughed out loud more than once at the things he said and thought.

Stanley is at loose ends. His hookups with Craw have ended since Ben came into the picture and he's not a club guy anymore. In a fit of wine induced pity he decides to learn how to kni...more
Rhys Ford
I'm going to be forthright and declare ahead of time that anyone who knows me is aware of my special love for Amy. That being said, I love a lot of people...and even pets. I have a cairn terrorist whom I love very much but sometimes rolls around in owl horf he finds in the backyard. My point? I can love someone or something and still be rather disappointed in their behaviour.

Amy, however, does not disappoint.

I've never been a fan of bitchy, flighty men in my literature but Amy makes Stanley lov...more
Kaje Harper
I really liked Stanley and his journey to figure out who he was meant to be, especially because he didn't have to become a hero to be a good guy. He's a self-described "aging slutty bottom" who decides his life isn't working, and takes a look at the parts that are good in search of a way to make it better. He takes up the zen of knitting, and the comfort of friends and the family you choose rather than the one you are born to.

I enjoyed Stanley's realization that he'd imbued a purely sexual relat...more
Serena Yates
In the same tradition as the first two books in this series, 'Knitter in his Natural Habitat' is more than a love story between two men who are each trying to deal with their pasts as well as their newfound love. It is also the story of Stanley coming to terms with what he really wants from life, and a partner, and Johnny finally getting what he's always wanted: a man to love who loves him back. And, of course, it is about knitting and the almost miraculous benefits attributed to it. I was immed...more
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

I admit, I was a bit worried to read this book. I loved Stanley in the past books (or at least, I knew I would once we got to know him better), but I loved How to Raise an Honest Rabbit so, so, so much, along with Jeremy, that I wasn't sure if this book could live up to my feelings about that one. In a way it did, but in some ways it didn't.

Stanley is an old party boy -- or at least, that's how he feels. Never has he had a real relationship, just quick fucks...more
Tailtiu
2,5* upgrade for the cute cover
I totaly agree with Meep's review here. In my opinion there's no real connection between the MCs and the showdown with Jeremy is unbelievable and over the top.
Amanda
I LOVED The Winter Courtship Rituals of Fur-Bearing Critters and I had very high hopes for How to Raise an Honest Rabbit, which BTW was good, but I wasn't as in love as I was with the first book. Then this. I just...I don't know what to say. IMO the storyline was not up to par with her other stories (view spoiler).

I didn't con...more
DaisyGirl
3.5 Stars

In this latest installment of the Knitting series, we revisit with Stanley Shulze who is working as a floor designer for a series of craft stores in Boulder, Colorado. After Craw breaks off their deliveries-with-benefits relationship, Stanley begins to reevaluate his life. As part of this self-assessment process, Stanley takes up knitting. Although he's not living the stuff of his dreams (i.e., to be a big time art dealer), he realizes that he's forged a comfy life for himself. He has (...more
Audrey
I wasn't sure if I was going to like Stanley as a narrator, but I actually enjoyed this story, which is 100% from Stanley's POV. He took a little getting used to, but in the end the story and his narration touched me. I was thrilled to have Gianni get his HEA, and the fact that it was with Stanley, who had been so ill-used in the past, just made it feel that much more appropriate. Also, once again, Jeremy damn near breaks my heart in this one. Great addition to the Knitting series. :)
Thorny
I adore Stanley! I really adore Stanley and Johnny! I think this is my favorite of the series. Seriously still adoring Stanley. And I may want to knit now...(view spoiler)
Shannon
I liked this book as much, if not more, than the others in the knitting series and that may be because we got to visit everyone we've already met and it made me ball baby. I like to ball baby as long as no one dies. Loved Stanley's manslut ways and Johnny's staid calmness. Really sweet story with a bit more violence than the previous stories.
Lee Brazil
Jeremy is still my favorite character in this series, but now Stanley is a close second. He displays a loyalty that is astounding. Imagine what it is to feel alone for so long and then wake up one day to realize that you had FRIENDS all that time and just didn't know it?

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I adore Amy Lane's stories. I always feel a connection with her characters and what they go through to the point that I end up crying over them nonstop. Unfortunately, I struggled with this one.

It was hard for me to connect with Stanley because I felt like his character was forced.... or maybe I should say the story felt forced? Regardless, he wasn't a genuine character to me, if that makes any sense, so it was hard for me to even like him. His personality is shifty - one moment sweet and nice,...more
pbj
I love this series in a kind of vague squishy way. These aren't my die hard favorite books or characters, but there's something really wonderful about how Amy Lane has turned knitting into an a metaphor for life. These books always make me go looking for knitting needles with the idea that If knitting can fix the MC's, it can fix my life too.
This installment is a little too cliché for me, but still sweet. Mobster in WITSEC meets aging club boy and love ensues. Spoiler Warning: This book does get...more
Pete W
Ms. Lane had masterfully wrote the tale of Stanley, the snarky, bitchy little side dish that Crawford broke off their little arrangement with for Ben in the first book. Stanley did not gave us a good first impression there but here we get to know him a whole lot better and I think most people will agreed that he is endearing and strikingly realistic.

Stanley began to reassess his life after Crawford broke their arrangement to pursue Ben sending him back to club scene and empty romp in the backroo...more
Christy Duke
I'm starting to wonder whether its possible for Amy Lane to write anything that is less than 4 out of 5 stars. This 4th book in the Knitting Series was more than what I thought it would be. First off, the author has continued to have the other characters in the area appear in and out of the successive books and, frankly, I LOVE THAT! It feels like family. You fall in love with these people and when the book is done you still want to know "what happens next"? So, here the author gave us more of t...more
AnnaLund
For my honest and true view of this book, please read …MORE

Goodreads TOS-compliant review (I think, let me know when they tell us what the rules are):

"The book I just read is about two (or three) lovely people, written in beautiful language, by a very good and prolific author. I liked it very, very much.
It is for sale on Amazon.”

DISCLAIMER: My reviews now all have this pretty face, so that all and everyone on Goodreads can stay happy and beatific. I’ll let you know if I change my mind. See the...more
Sunne
Oh...I'm in love...with a "ageing slutty bottom".

This one is definitely my favorite of the three books. I can't tell you why, probably because Stanley is soooo ..... human. He is funny, quirky, sensitive and realistic, he is caring, a bit selfish and honest. I love him. I want to adopt him.

I actually expected a bit more danger and angst but it was good, it was even better because the most important part was Stanley's development and his love with Johnny.

I adore that there are moments when Amy L...more
Lauren Lewis
Adorable. I absolutely love this entire series. While I'll admit that Knitter in His Natural Habitat isn't my favourite of the series, I still thoroughly enjoyed reading it and fell in love with Stanley and Johnny. I'd actually expected not to like this one because I hadn't really warmed to Stanley when he was part of Craw's story. But, in the end, I found it really difficult not to fall in love with him. It was nice to see Jeremy and Aiden again, even if it wasn't under the best of circumstance...more
orannia
Three and a half stars. I'm not a fan of insta-love, which this kind of felt like (to me), but the author did a good job of helping me understand the 'why', at least with regard to Stanley. I'm rather confused though as to how Mikey found Johnny...I thought WitSec would be pretty impregnable otherwise...there be HUGE problems. It was good, but not as good as the second book in the series, which is my favourite. I'm not sure why though, which isn't very helpful. Maybe it was the fast boil?
Heather C
I really struggled with this one and its definitely my least favorite knitting book so far. To me, the plot just felt really forced and it went into too much detail of the previous couples' relationships; especially Aiden and Jeramy. If I wouldn't have had so much already invested in these characters, it might have even been a DNF for me.

With all that being said, it was a sweet story and I totally cried in the end.
oceankitty
I'm a bit disappointed really. I know this is all about knitting and wonderful, fluffy yarn, but not to such an extent that the romance drowns out. I must admit to skimming a lot in the middle, just so that I could come to the promised exiting end. Which left me a little...bleh. It was a sweet story, on the Amy Lane Queen of Angst mellow side, but it just didn't do it for me. Sorry.
Heddie
I am such a fan of Amy Lane's books, but this one was very disappointing. The story felt rushed and the love between the MC was not believable. I kept thinking, Stanley is supposed to be a 35 year old man? Stanley could have been such a great character, but I especially dislike his cowrdly role during a violent scene. There were some cute scenes, but I feel ripped off.
Suzanne (Doppleganger)
These get better and better - I hope there's at least one more. In the meantime I'm going to make the pattern at the end of the book! Really I am, I'm buying red yarn and everything. Maybe by the time the next Knitting book comes out (crossing fingers), I'll have it done.

Confession time: I can't resist soft fluffy acrylic yarn. Shhhhhh. ;)
Ery
This plot was just too over the top for me and the story didn't provide the character depth AL typically does so well. It was light and sweet and a bit absurd, so if you're in the mood for that- this ones for you. And....I seem to be I. The minority here, so maybe it's just an off night for me.
starsaga
Another couple to love here!
I wish all books would be written with such adorable men as Stanley and Johnny. I loved being in Stanley's mind and seeing the world opening up for him after he decided to get serious with life. Who knew that knitting would do the trick? Ha! It is really true though, that when you knit for someone, its a gift of love. I felt Johnny was not given much page-space here, that Stanley just upstaged everyone else, but that was alright, he was such a star, I just wish I coul...more
Blue Bayou .
Ok thank you baby jebus. Amy Lane nailed it with one, at least for me. The last installment fell kind of flat for me. Stanley and Johnny were great. I love this story line.
Anke
I had a difficult start getting into this story, but finally it turned out to be a very good read. Nevertheless I liked the second book in this series more.
Wendy (wluvsbooks)
I love this series, but I didn’t love this particular book quite as much as the others. I think the main reason for this is the fact that I had a harder time connecting emotionally with the characters. I loved the concept of them and I did have a few more emotionally charged moments at certain sections, but otherwise I found myself struggling.

Mostly, I think Stanley was my challenge. I love a good bitchy drama queen man-whore turned monogamous character – don’t get me wrong. However, I got tire...more
Dreamspinner Press: Knitter in His Natural Habitat by Amy Lane 2 16 Nov 14, 2012 07:12AM
  • Second Hand (Tucker Springs, #2)
  • Tell Me It's Real
  • Aiden's Luck (Seattle Stories, #3)
  • Fear, Hope, and Bread Pudding (Coda Books, #6; Strawberries for Dessert, #2)
  • Slam!
  • Still
  • But My Boyfriend Is (Florida Books, #4)
  • Sweet Young Thang (Theta Alpha Gamma, #3)
  • One True Thing (One Thing, #2)
  • Junk
  • Dirty Laundry (Cole McGinnis, #3)
  • Shy
  • I Spy Something Christmas (I Spy, #3)
  • The Coil
151973
Amy Lane dodges an EDJ, mothers four children, and writes the occasional book. She, her brood, and her beloved mate, Mack, live in a crumbling mortgage in Citrus Heights, California, which is riddled with spiders, cats, and more than its share of fancy and weirdness. Feel free to visit her at www.greenshill.com orwww.writerslane.blogspot.com, where she will ride the buzz of receiving your e-mail u...more
More about Amy Lane...
Keeping Promise Rock (Promises, #1) The Locker Room Talker (Talker, #1) Clear Water Truth in the Dark

“The scarf could go on and on and on and on, and it could be the harlot-red banner of shame that wrapped him up and kept him warm when the nights grew lonely and cold.” 5 likes