Start by marking “Hello, I Must Be Going: Groucho and His Friends” as Want to Read:
Hello, I Must Be Going: Groucho and His Friends

Hello, I Must Be Going: Groucho and His Friends

When Charlotte Chandler called Groucho Marx for an interview, he answered the phone himself. Declining to be interviewed, he invited her over to his house so he could tell her no in person. After talking with her for hours, Groucho asked, “Why aren't you writing?”

Hello, I Must Be Going is the story of Groucho and the Marx Brothers, told through Groucho's everyday conversat
Published August 14th 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Hello, I Must Be Going, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hello, I Must Be Going

Karl H.
Sep 26, 2010 Karl H. rated it did not like it
[Groucho] mispronounced a word once, and he got the laugh on it and he never would pronounce it right. It was an unpleasant word, like paraplegic or paralysis. It's a good example of what he would do when a thing was set. Then, with all his delight in improvising and changing, he'd cling to it, because that laugh meant more to him than he knew. -Robert Pirosh, regarding Groucho Marx

Groucho Marx is the focus of Hello, I Must Be Going and what an interesting person he was. A comic legend beloved a
Gobasso
Jul 11, 2011 Gobasso rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, biography
Probably best read by true fans of Groucho and his brothers. The stories can be repetitive, although the author points out this was done intentionally so not to edit any of her conversations with Groucho and his friends. For anyone who wants to know what vaudeville was like and those who are interested in Groucho after his career with his brothers this book will keep you laughing.
Rick
May 25, 2008 Rick rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Sad, oral biography that begins well and ends well, thanks to the old-timers (George Burns, Jack Benny, and Georgie Jessel) but has a gruesomely long and tedious middle. The dust jacket blurbs are from everybody. Everybody: Zeppo Marx, Bette Davis, Tennessee Williams, Mike Nichols, Bill Cosby, Billy Wilder, Elliot Gould, Sidney Sheldon, Luciano Pavarotti, George Cukor, Woody Allen, and Jack Nicholson. And there are more. And most of them are included in the book’s transcripts. The most telling o ...more
Peter Pactor
Jun 19, 2016 Peter Pactor rated it it was amazing
While this book is biographical in nature, it is more than just telling Groucho's life. By the time I finished this book, I felt like I really knew and understood this very funny man. I wish I had known him personally.

Charlotte Chandler did a spectacular job collecting and organizing the material into the book, which is filled with her narration of the story, but also many anecdotes and excerpts from Groucho's and his brothers' performances. There are many stories and anecdotes and conversations
Carole
Nov 01, 2008 Carole rated it liked it
Recommends it for: My mom
My mom gave me this book for my birthday. I actually wasn't real clear on who Groucho Marx was before I read this book.

It was a pretty good read. I think the target audience was more my mom's generation than mine though. Apparently, Groucho Marx was a really huge celebrity in the 70s, when the book was orignally pubished. The book kind of assumes that the reader is pretty familiar with the the Marx Brothers' films and generally a lot of what was on television and stuff at the time. It also assum
Nathan
Jan 02, 2014 Nathan rated it liked it
Lots of fun reading all about one of my heroes, Groucho Marx. This book focuses mainly on his final years and the company he kept then, but also spends considerable amounts of time with him telling anecdotes about his days as a vaudevillian with his brothers. The second half of the book, while still fun, slows down a bit, as the author lists out EVERYONE she spoke to who was a friend to Groucho, interview by interview. The list of people he considered his friends was impressive, and quite long.

E
Michael Kocher
Jul 20, 2016 Michael Kocher rated it liked it
It's a mixed ordeal. The book is terribly disorganized with no central narrative or coherence. You get details of Groucho's life but it's in a disjointed non-chronological order. We get a lot of quotes from Groucho firsthand but we can tell this is the old Groucho. Marx Brothers fans will be disappointed to find that this book all but ignores the Erin Fleming ordeal and that Chandler essentially canonizes her. The book also gets to a point where it becomes more about the seventies era celebritie ...more
Michael
Aug 06, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it
As an informal biography, this one's pretty good. A fascinating insight to the mind of a comedic genius and the world which he both inhabited and created. The only problem is, as one of his friends observed, when you spend a lot of time with Groucho, you begin to talk like him. That can be a bit awkward. Ah well, as he said, "Unborn yesterday, dead tomorrow. Why complain if life be sweet?" I gotta' go watch some movies.
Dkeslin
Apr 08, 2009 Dkeslin rated it it was amazing
Learn about the more personal side of Groucho and his acting career. It is interesting reading about the transition from vaudville to the film world. The second half of the book is intervies with over 20 of Groucho's closest friends. Really gives you a feel for early Hollywood and its personalities.
Heather
Dec 06, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic bio of a fantastic man! It feels like he's sitting in the chair next to me telling me all of these stories. I can hear his voice and smell the cigar and see his gestures. Love it. So sad it's over.

Edit: I will definitely be reading this again. Cried like a baby at the end when Groucho died. Must read for ANYONE who has even the slightest interest in anything Marx Brothers!
Deborah
May 07, 2012 Deborah rated it really liked it
I liked this better even than his autobiography, which was also a lot of fun. She's an appreciative audience but has just enough distance to avoid being only a cipher for Groucho's considerable (and understandable, though occasionally exhausting) self-regard.
Shane
Sep 28, 2008 Shane rated it really liked it
This is my favorite bio about Groucho. You gotta love Groucho. He's ridiculous and witty and ridiculous.
Patrick Goodnow
Oct 15, 2009 Patrick Goodnow rated it really liked it
Re-read of an old fave
Gina
The book desperately needs an editor, but there's so much priceless candid Groucho in here.
Valerie
Why did I think this was written by Groucho himself? Perhaps it's because he was quoted so much in the book.
Michael
Oct 04, 2008 Michael rated it liked it
The Marx family rose up from poverty to fame and fortune. He speaks about his humble upbringing as a learning experience, never playing the popular victim-card many poor people play.
Rozonda
Sep 27, 2011 Rozonda rated it really liked it
The lights and shadows of Groucho by an intelligent woman who knew him well.
Lowell Gould
Feb 26, 2014 Lowell Gould rated it really liked it
A great tour of old time vaudeville and Groucho Marx's life. If you want a who's who of early 20th century show biz, this is it.

Chandler repeats herself a lot, but it's not to annoying.
Chris Jones
Chris Jones rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Mark Goulden
Mark Goulden rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2011
Allan Neuwirth
Allan Neuwirth rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2008
Pauliec33
Pauliec33 rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2011
Phillip Kay
Phillip Kay rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2012
Adam Y.
Adam Y. rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2011
David
David rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2009
Holger Reichard
Holger Reichard rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2013
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2012
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2009
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2011
Steve Ballman
Steve Ballman rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2015
  • The Groucho Letters
  • Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Sometimes Zeppo: A Celebration of the Marx Brothers
  • Harpo Speaks!
  • My Life with Groucho: A Son's Eye View
  • Groucho: The Life and Times of Julius Henry Marx
  • My Wonderful World of Slapstick
  • Jean Arthur: The Actress Nobody Knew
  • Hail, Hail, Euphoria!: Presenting the Marx Brothers in Duck Soup, the Greatest War Movie Ever Made
  • American Rebel: The Life of Clint Eastwood