Start by marking “Euclid's Wall” as Want to Read:
Euclid's Wall

Euclid's Wall

A World Asunder

A century after civilization fell in a day and night of tectonic cataclysm, scattered communities have regained a fraction of what humanity lost on that Day of Destruction. One such is the Duchy of Hampshire on the southern tip of England.

Hampshire is at war with the Califat de Normandie. It is a war that has been profitable for merchant sea captain Ethan Sc
Hardcover
Published November 1st 2012 by SCI FI - Arizona (first published October 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Euclid's Wall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Euclid's Wall

Ryan Rauber
Jan 13, 2013 Ryan Rauber rated it liked it
Excellent idea for a story, though it kind of petered out at the end. This takes place 100 years after the fall of civilization, when society is back to sailing on ships from the 18th century. An expedition from England takes off for America on a journey of discovery to see what has happened since society fell. I enjoyed this part of the book most, finding out what happened in America, rather than the main storyline. There is also a romantic subplot that was painful to read. The ending was a ...more
Fred
Nov 06, 2012 Fred rated it really liked it
What would have happened if CERN created a black hole that nearly destroyed the planet? If you guessed that it would recreate conditions of the 18th century Age of Discovery, then this swashbuckling novel would be better categorized as non-fiction.

There aren't enough gluons in the universe to hold together this mix of Jules Verne era, sci-fi, naval adventures with bits of romance novel. That's ok. It's a fun read with a good plot and enough sci-fi to keep it heady. Bonus points for lack of vampi
Arlene Seydoux
Feb 25, 2013 Arlene Seydoux rated it really liked it
A great premise. As the others commented, the romance sounds a bit awkward. The author would profit from reading Neal Stephenson's work. I actually wish there were more to the story - the Epilogue leaves me wishing there were a part 2 - maybe about Christa & Scott's grandchildren - (view spoiler)
It could
Clyde
Oct 05, 2014 Clyde rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction, 2014
Three and a half stars rounded up to four. Euclid's Wall is a good after-the-fall story, with a really unique cause of the fall. It is also a high-seas, tall-ships adventure story with some solid science and a bit of romance thrown in. I enjoyed it.
Paul Doyle
I found the premise of this book interesting. A cataclysm has created a near extinction event, and the world is back to sailing ships. The event that nearly caused the end of the world is not over, and may in fact be getting worse. So a mission is sent to find the source, and if at all possible shut it down.

The adventure is enjoyable, and it was an entertaining use of my time.
Andrew Garfield
Aug 22, 2013 Andrew Garfield rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I definitely enjoyed the book but felt it was much longer than it needed to be. Sometimes it lacked the action that I was hoping for.

The plot of the book I thought was pretty well thought out. Overall I would recommend.
Joe
Nov 03, 2012 Joe rated it it was amazing

One of those rare and imaginative books that was a pleasure to read and hard to put down. The catastrophe that McCollum imagines and its aftermath to the planet is one that I never would have conceived of.
Paladin1420
Feb 12, 2013 Paladin1420 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot, as I did McCollum's other books. Not too deep, not too serious but a quick, enjoyable story that moves along without too much friction. A little bit empty at the end, would have liked more details to wrap up, but I don't think he left too much room for a sequel.
Derrick
Dec 08, 2012 Derrick rated it liked it
ok book but not great. science fiction part was good but the writer foray into the romance left tons to be desired. The fact that the writer is an engineer is plain to see. All in all ok but towards the end i was thinking to myself, "could you just wrap this up please."
Ashley Furrow
Nov 04, 2012 Ashley Furrow rated it liked it
Great plot and concept... but I was so annoyed by the writing style, especially when it came to the "romance". Still a good book, but not worth the time!
Ben Cardinal
Dec 22, 2012 Ben Cardinal rated it liked it
Clever premise and a fun quick read. The romance scenes were ... awkward. Also it seemed a bit anticlimactic in the end but still a good book.
Idigchili
Jan 11, 2013 Idigchili rated it really liked it
Great concepts
Gripping storyline
Soft ending :-/
Craig Strachan
Craig Strachan rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2014
Mikael Falkvidd
Mikael Falkvidd rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Andrew Neustadter
Andrew Neustadter rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2014
Mr. Stephen F Jones
Mr. Stephen F Jones rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2014
Larry Noe
Larry Noe rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Lane Slabaugh
Lane Slabaugh rated it it was ok
Mar 22, 2013
Alexander Zhitenev
Alexander Zhitenev rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2015
Alvaro
Alvaro rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2012
Kevin Howard
Kevin Howard rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2012
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2014
Jonathan Trott
Jonathan Trott rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2014
Mike &
Mike & rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2013
Drew
Drew rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2014
Jon Bradford
Jon Bradford rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2012
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Michael McCollum was born in Phoenix, Arizona, in 1946, and is a graduate of Arizona State University, where he majored in aerospace propulsion and minored in nuclear engineering. He is employed at Honeywell in Tempe, Arizona, where he is Chief Engineer in the valve product line. In his career, Mr. McCollum has worked on the precursor to the Space Shuttle Main Engine, a nuclear valve to replace ...more
More about Michael McCollum...