Start by marking “Chow Down (Melanie Travis Mysteries, #13)” as Want to Read:
Chow Down (Melanie Travis Mysteries, #13)

Chow Down (Melanie Travis #13)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  521 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
If Melanie Travis was planning on a quiet family summer with her Standard Poodle Faith, son Davey, and new husband Sam, her plans are about to turn upside down. An unexpected competition, a trip to New York, and - oh yes, a murder - later, Melanie finds herself in a choke collar of deceit and corruption.

When she receives the letter from the Champions Dog Food Company info
Paperback
Published August 1st 2007 by Kensington (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Chow Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chow Down

Liz
Jul 24, 2015 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Lauren Berenson's Melanie Travis stories, with her son Davy, her new Husband Sam, Aunt Peg, Bertie, and the cast of poodles. Davy enters Faith into a contest so that she may win a chance at being the Chow Down spokesdog for the Champion Dog Food Company. Her quiet summer is taken up with hauling Faith to one event after another to find out which of the five finalists will be the winner, take home the prize money and appear on television.

The summer shows goes on between Faith's trip into t
Gloria
Jun 19, 2016 Gloria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A light, fun mystery centered around a dog food manufacturer's quest for a canine "spokesperson" for their new dog chow. Things go wrong when one of the owners of a finalist is killed under suspicious circumstances. This book is the thirteenth in an on-going series, the nineteenth of which releases in July. I usually don't go back to the beginning when I start in the middle of a series like this, but I plan to read 14 through 19, because the ongoing characters are well-written, and frankly, I li ...more
Clare O'Beara
This cosy crime series about a purebred poodle and her doting, busy owner is several books long by now but I expect that new readers could come in at this point. I'd read from the first book but the well-established characters are still easy to get to know.
Melanie has a large black poodle called Faith and learnt how to show her and manage her hair and clipping in the previous books. Now Faith is a champion and her daughter Eve is still to get a few more wins. All these books revolve around the
Marfita
Feb 25, 2010 Marfita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog fanciers and mystery addicts
Recommended to Marfita by: the cozies group
Shelves: cozies, mysteries
Berenson's stories are well-enough crafted. You learn more about the dog-show world than some people might care to know, but she builds suspense well and puts in some interesting characters. Even the dogs seem to have nicely rounded personalities. I was happy to see an actual cat in the story, even if it was just a cameo and named "Beagle."
Everything made perfect sense except, except a couple of newlyweds (3 months) trying to have a child. Her first marriage went bad, leaving her with a boy to
Beverly
Feb 24, 2009 Beverly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-series
Sharon Thrasher
Apr 18, 2015 Sharon Thrasher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

I do so like this author. All of her books are so good. Great writing. Great ending and a great read.
Jmlwallis
Oct 19, 2014 Jmlwallis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like her style of writing. She conveys a very thorough mystery plot through out her while story. The dogs are very cute. Just an all around good story.
Joan
May 22, 2009 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first one of the series that I ever read. I'm not sure how I managed to miss this series before, but I think it is so much fun! Poodle owner/breeder/handler Melanie Travis is entered in a dog food company's contest by her 8 year old son. Dismayed at the prospect, she nevertheless does her best with her lovely standard poodle, Faith. In spite of a murder, the book provides a humorous (and bitingly accurate, pardon the pun) look at the world of dog owners and competitors. Anyone who is a dog l ...more
Linda
Nov 07, 2015 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but not as interesting as the last book.
Pat
Oct 13, 2014 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Faith is the finalist in a dog food contest.
Janet
Another strong offering by Berenson. One thing that makes these books such a good read is she never loses sight of what her characters are all about. Melanie, her friends, and her family are dog show people. No matter how convoluted the plot gets, Berenson always manages to throw in references to dog shows and usually sets at least part of the story at a dog show. Normal life does go on, even in murder mysteries.
Michelle
Nov 15, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melanie's son enters her dog Faith in a contest without telling her. Of course, Faith is chosen as a finalist and, of course, one of the other finalist's owner is killed and Melanie investigates. Another good book in this dog lovers/dog show series.
Deb
Sep 20, 2011 Deb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Was anyone else distracted/annoyed by the cover art depicting the wrong breeds? Instead of a Boxer, Scottie & Yorkie they looked like a Great Dane, Westie and a Pekinese/Persian cat cross!
Catherine
Nov 19, 2007 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy this series and these characters. It's awful waiting for each new book to come out because I want so badly to know what happens next and where they are going.
Amy
Blech. No plot, lots of talk about purebred dog shows (I am a fan of mutts!) and the writing didn't engage me at all. I won't be reading any more of this series.
Debbie
Jul 05, 2011 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mind-candy
I liked this one - especially the twist from 'show' dogs to 'showbiz' dogs.
Pat
May 09, 2015 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is the 13th in the series and I have enjoyed each one.
Chandra
Jan 20, 2009 Chandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
fun! but you should definitely love dogs to get into this one.
Kimberly
Oct 01, 2013 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light, fun cozy. Love the poodles!
Tesser White
May 11, 2013 Tesser White rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pointless drivel with dogs thrown in
Wanda
Sep 05, 2013 Wanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun. Learned a lot about showing dogs.
Karen-Leigh
Love this series.
Francie Shoemaker
Too much AKC
Dagmar
Dagmar marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
DebraScott
DebraScott marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Blue Falcon
Blue Falcon marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Amanda  Sullivan
Amanda Sullivan marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Terrah Sellers
Terrah Sellers rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
Emilee
Emilee marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Madison Mega-Mara...: Chow Down 1 3 Nov 15, 2012 11:37AM
  • Stud Rites
  • Fall Guy (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #7)
  • Rapid Fire (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #2)
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • Catnapped (An Animal Instinct Mystery #1)
  • Lead a Horse to Murder (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #3)
  • Blind Bloodhound Justice
Laurien Berenson is the author of thirty novels that have sold more than two million copies worldwide. Her cozy mystery series revolves around the world of dog shows, a milieu she knows well as her family has been involved in the sport of dogs for three generations. There are currently eighteen Melanie Travis canine mysteries, including the newest book, THE BARK BEFORE CHRISTMAS. The next title in ...more
More about Laurien Berenson...

Melanie Travis (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2)
  • Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3)
  • Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4)
  • Watchdog (Melanie Travis, #5)
  • Hush Puppy (Melanie Travis, #6)
  • Unleashed (Melanie Travis, #7)
  • Once Bitten (Melanie Travis, #8)
  • Hot Dog (Melanie Travis, #9)
  • Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)